Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

hawowanlawow posted:

They definitely cost a lot more than that

They're basically Roombas and those cost a few hundred, point still stands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

yeah like, still way way more than that though

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

hawowanlawow posted:

yeah like, still way way more than that though

It’s irrelevant, but I think you may be over estimating the cost of those robots. They don’t really have to do much. It looks like they actually track to a grid of marks on the floor, you can make a robot do that for almost nothing, you can get $10 kits to do that. It doesn’t have to be all that intelligent, it’s not like each robot is thinking, there’s going to be a central controller tracking position and figuring out routing and then managing the robots through that, so each robot just needs to be able to get from one grid point to the very next, and needs to be able to dump a package off. Instead of a bunch of robots, think of it more as one giant robot and what you see there are just its appendages. That’s a pretty cheap set of specs.

If each robot were a one-off, that’d increase the cost a lot, but they’re obviously manufactured at scale.

The only thing adding to the cost is that they maybe need to be a bit more robust? But probably not terribly so, each robot is perfectly replaceable and the environment is nicely controlled.

So nah, they probably don’t cost all that much at all, especially not to a huge company like alibaba.

e: Based on some quick googling, an alibaba warehouse handled by robots got a 300% increase in output with a 70% reduction in human labor. Alibaba reportedly gets 12.7 BILLION orders a year. Who fuckin’ cares what each bot costs.

Bad Munki has a new favorite as of 15:44 on Nov 19, 2018

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Bad Munki posted:

Doesn’t matter, though. It’s a one time cost, and as long as the maintenance cost per hour worked is less than that of a human, the robot wins eventually.

Just wait until the Robots start getting Rights, you'll have to give them holiday pay, sick pay, maternity leave etc.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
And wait til they turn up Monday late as heck and all crunkt up and tipping poo poo in the wrong bin all day and you can't do squat about it cause there's no pee test for AC voltage

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
https://i.imgur.com/ybjpayU.mp4

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Karate Bastard posted:

And wait til they turn up Monday late as heck and all crunkt up and tipping poo poo in the wrong bin all day and you can't do squat about it cause there's no pee test for AC voltage

Turn up Monday? poo poo we gotta give them the weekend off too? :(

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
What about instead of a complex system of semi-autonomous robots that likely need service on a regular schedule, how about a long conveyor belt with metal arms that whip out and go FAPPO and smack the packages into shipping chutes and costs next to nothing and needs service once a year.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

What, you think FAPPO just grows on trees?

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
You mean like this right?

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

What about instead of a complex system of semi-autonomous robots that likely need service on a regular schedule, how about a long conveyor belt with metal arms that whip out and go FAPPO and smack the packages into shipping chutes and costs next to nothing and needs service once a year.

Don't you see how many holes there are?
Imagine a conveyor belt system with enough branches for that, and one broken branch will affect every shute after it. It's more complex, so more can go wrong and repairs will take down the whole system.
The robots parallelize the delivery since they can just circumvent the busier shutes and a broken robot will just be driven around until it is picked up for repair.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

hawowanlawow posted:

They definitely cost a lot more than that

I think you're overestimating the material costs involved in building these things. As consumer goods they'd be significantly more expensive, but then you're paying for the IP and markups at various points in the sales chain too. The company also has costs involved in the design and manufacturing capital for the bots, outfitting the warehouse etc, but once that's done their only costs are the materials for the bots which would not be expensive at all. Certainly not much more than the forklifts/carts etc that their employees would be using anyway.

To contribute a gif, here's how Amazon are doing it:

https://i.imgur.com/ptiKnRp.gifv

These bots are probably significantly more expensive because they carry a lot more weight but even if they're like $20000, they're still free labour within 6 months compared to an employee anywhere in the US. They're also much more efficient, and can work 24hrs a day. And again, keep in mind that their employees would probably be driving a forklift or something similar anyway which would cost about the same or more.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Lurking Haro posted:

Imagine a conveyor belt system with enough branches for that, and one broken branch will affect every shute after it. It's more complex, so more can go wrong and repairs will take down the whole system.
The robots parallelize the delivery since they can just circumvent the busier shutes and a broken robot will just be driven around until it is picked up for repair.

Stuff like this is cool.
http://i.imgur.com/iqIuhAD.gifv

But you don't need branches that can break. You can also have a conveyor of tiny conveyors that dump poo poo off the sides when at a chute.
https://i.imgur.com/a5NdavK.mp4

Added bonus of this approach is that you can just pull out a sub-unit and replace it with minimal downtime.

Geemer has a new favorite as of 01:12 on Nov 20, 2018

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Lurking Haro posted:

Did you factor in the cost savings of FAPPO tech?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AboxUKxRYJw

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747

bike tory posted:

These bots are probably significantly more expensive because they carry a lot more weight but even if they're like $20000, they're still free labour within 6 months compared to an employee anywhere in the US. They're also much more efficient, and can work 24hrs a day. And again, keep in mind that their employees would probably be driving a forklift or something similar anyway which would cost about the same or more.

I think people are underestimating both the cost of the robots and the humans Because those KIVA amazon bots indeed cost about 20K a piece. Nearly all non-consumer machines are much more expensive than many people think. Which is still less than the cost of labor in the developed world.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Oh god, now I'm thinking about the theme song, son of a bitch.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

But I ain't seen nothing like him
In any amusement hall
That deaf dumb and blind kid...

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

https://i.imgur.com/2h46rbO.gifv

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
https://i.imgur.com/17epxMh.mp4

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Geemer posted:

But you don't need branches that can break. You can also have a conveyor of tiny conveyors that dump poo poo off the sides when at a chute.
https://i.imgur.com/a5NdavK.mp4

This isn't sped up, they're just using blue conveyor belts.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
When I grow up I'm gonna be a robot and I'm totally gonna push all my robot colleagues into them drat chutes all drat day any chance I get like beep boop motherfuckers

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Ak Gara posted:

And they're not actually blue at all!

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Ak Gara posted:

That's a very niche joke. I appreciated it.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Lol I just reminded myself that magic is real, and this spell of protection from sadness 10' radius exists

It works!

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

haveblue posted:

They're basically Roombas and those cost a few hundred, point still stands.

but think of the value of putting all those people out of work

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Gort posted:

but think of the value of putting all those people out of work

Is getting people to do repetitive warehouse work really something we should be fighting to protect?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Aramoro posted:

Is getting people to do repetitive warehouse work really something we should be fighting to protect?

This is the exact plot of this week's Doctor Who

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Aramoro posted:

the same people who are working to make those people unemployed will also fight to ensure that unemployment is synonymous with destitution, sickness and death

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://i.imgur.com/EvDbmia.mp4

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

RELEASE THE QUACKEN! :yarr:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I hope one day we're all unemployed. If they ever make a robot that can smile and has a good handshake, I'm out of work.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

mobby_6kl posted:

And they're not actually blue at all!

Aramoro posted:

That's a very niche joke. I appreciated it.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Ak Gara posted:

RELEASE THE QUACKEN! :yarr:

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Solice Kirsk posted:

I hope one day we're all unemployed.

That's not far long, robots or not.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Chiming in to say I also understood the video game conveyor belt reference.
https://i.imgur.com/MUzOgcZ.mp4

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
https://i.imgur.com/IJ4jCIo.mp4

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

I love how gently he bounces it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015