Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Adar posted:

Chinese miners are saying just under 4K is the breakeven point for the biggest farms, so an extended price plummet far below that might do it (but some of those miners were likely the people propping it up at 6k for a year so...)

I thought the Chinese megafarms were mainly there as a money laundering operation to get cash out of China, and that any actual profit from selling the bitcoins was a bonus. A lot of them would probably be willing to keep running at a technical loss, depending on how much of a haircut the operators are willing to accept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Powershift posted:

None of that hardware is good for anything but bitcoin mining

The fact that it was built for that purpose in the first place is a waste.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Powershift posted:

None of that hardware is good for anything but bitcoin mining

im sure they'll scrap it for the steel

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Powershift posted:

None of that hardware is good for anything after spending the last three months perpetually overclocked to mine bitcoins

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Soylent Yellow posted:

I thought the Chinese megafarms were mainly there as a money laundering operation to get cash out of China, and that any actual profit from selling the bitcoins was a bonus. A lot of them would probably be willing to keep running at a technical loss, depending on how much of a haircut the operators are willing to accept.

I've been operating under this hypothesis as well, but then, why wouldn't the Chinese government be bringing the hammer down on miners, then? It's not as if they're hard to find.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Soylent Yellow posted:

That was the case a couple of years ago. Since then Bitmain in particular has simply gotten too big and now acts as a regular business. The people with stashes of yuan did the next best thing totally not a scam Chinese ICOs

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Nasty Old Randy posted:

I made a bunch of money off IBM buying out red hat last month, I might throw some of my evil central banker fiat currency into bitcoin so I can insist that its definitely going to be worth $250000000 next week.

you should definitely do that, don't let any of these goons trick you out of a good investment

bitcoin's value is diving now, but now's the exact right time to buy. you'll be kicking yourself if you don't buy when the price is back up to $6k in a couple months

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I would imagine it'd be difficult to run a Chinese mining operation even in bumfuck province without at least a local official you'd need to bribe knowing about it. Said official probably would allow even a 1:1 yuan to dollar launder especially if there's a potential moon bonus. Hell a national level party member might be okay with it if it's all an excuse to bring in foreign money but who knows once it drops

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

My Linux Rig posted:

you should definitely do that, don't let any of these goons trick you out of a good investment

bitcoin's value is diving now, but now's the exact right time to buy. you'll be kicking yourself if you don't buy when the price is back up to $6k in a couple months

People have been talking about this "great buying opportunity" all the way down from 19000.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Lambert posted:

People have been talking about this "great buying opportunity" all the way down from 19000.

yes but now it’s a really great buying opportunity

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Goddamn, it's below 4400

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
It's settling... IT'S SETTLING I SAY

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Pendent posted:

Goddamn, it's below 4400

It went below 4200 earlier

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

My Linux Rig posted:

yes but now it’s a really great buying opportunity

Buy high, sell low!

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
The funniest thing to me is all the Coiners that have been yelling "this is capitulation!" after every drop. Apparently, there needs to be "capitulation" before the market can rise again. That's why they label every temporary new low "capitulation".

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Heath posted:

It went below 4200 earlier

Ugh, I'm getting close.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

China is waking up

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

holy gently caress 4150

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
4100 soon.

Err...4000 soon.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

:stare: under $4100 now. buy walls keep melting

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Big lol if this thread is gonna get another title change soon

Is it time to think of new ones?

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

just need to reiterate again how funny it is that people are losing their life savings and didn't cut their losses because they were afraid that anonymous redditors would think they are weak

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

is pepsi ok posted:

just need to reiterate again how funny it is that people are losing their life savings and didn't cut their losses because they were afraid that anonymous redditors would think they are weak

:zaurg:

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

remember that all you no-coiners are directly responsible for this price drop and you're ruining lives also please stop making fun of bitcoiner life choices but also remember that when hyperbitcoinization happens you'll be sorry YOU'LL ALL BE SORRY

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
It’s what it feels like in kerbal when you realize you’re not making it to the moon.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Burt Sexual posted:

Buy high, sell low!

Excuse me but the high was over $19k so buying now would be buying low

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

I have a real time bitcoin ticker and it is trying so, so loving hard to get back to 4200.

It's slightly disturbing how often the number is flickering

Slipped under 4100 and little signs of it clawing back up :suspense:

EorayMel fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Nov 20, 2018

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror
tether also went down to 93 cents on the dollar, the gap between tether and non-tether exchanges is up to 7%, and this is after bitfinex got a 50 million tether infusion this morning. at the risk of jinxing it this may be It

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This is all good for bitcoin.

It’s not so good for my initial $20 though lol.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Okay there's a small bounce back.

For now :grin:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Is there a SA crypto thread in a different forum with true believers in it? Or is it all poo poo on crypto 24/7?

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

MarcusSA posted:

This is all good for bitcoin.

It’s not so good for my initial $20 though lol.

don’t worry, it’ll eventually go back up

In fact you should buy some more while they’re cheap

oversteer
Jun 6, 2005

Waltzing Along posted:

Is there a SA crypto thread in a different forum with true believers in it? Or is it all poo poo on crypto 24/7?

all poo poo on all crypto 24/7

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Tiny Bug Child posted:

tether also went down to 93 cents on the dollar, the gap between tether and non-tether exchanges is up to 7%, and this is after bitfinex got a 50 million tether infusion this morning. at the risk of jinxing it this may be It

This strikes me as bad. Spending $1 to get $.93 of buying power seems a bad investment.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

My Linux Rig posted:

don’t worry, it’ll eventually go back up

In fact you should buy some more while they’re cheap

:thunk:

I think you might be right.

I’ll be rich!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

This strikes me as bad. Spending $1 to get $.93 of buying power seems a bad investment.

Bitcoin.txt

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Waltzing Along posted:

There is! You’ll find it here

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Waltzing Along posted:

All the true believers post in

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3853638

One of them even wrote a book about bitcoin!

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Is this a metaphor for bitcoin?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

PostNouveau posted:

All the true believers post in

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3853638

One of them even wrote a book about bitcoin!

lmao, that thread is more of a shitpost thread than this one