Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

great day for dad rockers, as Foreigner is playing carb day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

https://twitter.com/42jordanking/status/1062737488358322176

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
There are going to be a lot of good cars and drivers that don't make the field next year.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

WindyMan posted:

There are going to be a lot of good cars and drivers that don't make the field next year.

gonna be hilarious if Nando gets bumped

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

If they don't put pole day back to Saturday and bump day on Sunday, there's going to be a lot of artificial bullshit happenings happening. Some say up to 40 cars will go for it next year and we shouldn't pack that all in on a shortened day just for the sake of doing it.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

Fauxhawk Express posted:

gonna be hilarious if Nando gets bumped

I will die laughing. I didn't dislike Alonso when he was here in 2017, but god drat Cheever and Goodyear would NOT shut the gently caress up about him the whole race. "He's learning something new and getting better every lap!" Not that those two has-beens are gonna get the chance to ever comment on the 500 again.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

If Alonso gets bumped you will never hear the end of it.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

I now want more than anything for Alonso to get bumped off the grid by Pippa Mann

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Reynold posted:

I now want more than anything for Alonso to get bumped off the grid by Pippa Mann

Marcus Ericson

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
Is Pippa coming back next year? Because if there's bumping she's probably coming back for more pain

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Reynold posted:

I will die laughing. I didn't dislike Alonso when he was here in 2017, but god drat Cheever and Goodyear would NOT shut the gently caress up about him the whole race. "He's learning something new and getting better every lap!" Not that those two has-beens are gonna get the chance to ever comment on the 500 again.

I am reminded that NBC will be taking over Indycar broadcats all next year and we're going to see some proper reporting, features, and other coverage of the 500 for a change.

Sweet.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

CactusWeasle posted:

Is Pippa coming back next year? Because if there's bumping she's probably coming back for more pain

As long as Pippa's family has cash and Dale Coyne sells rides, Pippa will be at Indy.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

https://twitter.com/A_S12/status/1063174661972901889

Just in time for the Will Power and Scott Dixon retirement tour.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
https://www.si.com/racing/2018/11/15/indianapolis-500-first-color-footage-race-smithsonian-channel-video

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

Thank god YouTube TV carries Smithsonian Channel, I can't wait to see more of that footage :getin:

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Indycar in March in Australia is a bad decision.

We already have the F1 race in March. It really needs to stay at the opposite end of the season.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

freeranger posted:

Indycar in March in Australia is a bad decision.

We already have the F1 race in March. It really needs to stay at the opposite end of the season.

I agree, or at least in the US Summer. There's a big break in August for Indy!

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

iospace posted:

I agree, or at least in the US Summer. There's a big break in August for Indy!

They could get a lot of sunbirds going north for a nice trip out of the southern "winter" in that time period as well.
Other option: Queens Birthday public holiday weekend, 11th June.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

If it’s going to be at a permanent race track then you only have to work around schedules to make it an event with support series in tow, and logistics of transit getting cars to and fro with as little fuss as possible. However, if it’s going to be Surfer’s and the street circuit, you also have to factor in the build time of that circuit and whether the local government is going to allow that multiple times in the year.

Sharing the existing Supercars date makes the most sense at Surfers for that pure logistic reason. I know the Gold Coast and Queensland are hard up for that event apparently, but I can’t see them taking weeks at a time to build the circuit multiple times. Remember, IMSA and ICS share two of the street circuit weekends currently for this very reason.

(If they do go to the Gold Coast I’m gonna have to look into finally getting down to Straya)

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

If they are building a permanent track on the Gold Coast it will lose all the charm of what we have now. Being drunk in a multistory building being flashed from every balcony.

It would also go the way of the Gold Coast Titans NRL team or The Gold Coast Suns AFL team, be poo poo!

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

freeranger posted:

If they are building a permanent track on the Gold Coast it will lose all the charm of what we have now. Being drunk in a multistory building being flashed from every balcony.

It would also go the way of the Gold Coast Titans NRL team or The Gold Coast Suns AFL team, be poo poo!

I don’t think they are going to do that, just thinking out loud that they aren’t going to want to setup the street circuit twice in a year, which would impact scheduling.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Yeah sorry, realised that after I hit post.

Excellent reading comprehension on my behalf :)

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

If they were smart they'd get it out of March and get it in June or July.
They're just creating more competition for themselves, they'll get lost in the early/pre-season football code hysteria and unlike F1, Indy probably doesn't have the gravitas to escape that which means they'll be up against it domestically.

The crowds will be fine but I don't think the Gold Coast (the Queensland government) is getting in this for "fine".
They're probably still smarting that Victoria keeps outbidding everyone for the F1 Grand Prix.

Like I'm excited for this race, but I can already tell you that I personally know almost no-one else who would be.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

I'm excited about the prospect of Indycar looking at branching out from America/Canada again. I figured we'd get a race in Mexico City before anywhere else, though.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
Honestly I could see IndyCar holding their race the weekend before the F1 race or bumping an existing support race, there wouldn't be any Road to Indy going down under so Indy can play second fiddle and I think they would accept that :downs:

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

KingShibby posted:

Honestly I could see IndyCar holding their race the weekend before the F1 race or bumping an existing support race, there wouldn't be any Road to Indy going down under so Indy can play second fiddle and I think they would accept that :downs:

Queensland wouldn't.
Queensland would throw a right shitfit if it thought it wasn't getting bang for buck.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Schlesische posted:

Queensland wouldn't.
Queensland would throw a right shitfit if it thought it wasn't getting bang for buck.

You're probably right I don't know poo poo about Australia, I just selfishly wanna cover a race down under

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

KingShibby posted:

the only series that makes sense to partner with as second banana would be the V8 Supercars, and they only have one event before the F1 Grand Prix weekend, and that's at Adelaide. Which isn't the state talking about hosting this race.

So. Either:

• The Supercars series changes its schedule and Queensland/Surfer's Paradise moves a marquee sporting event out of the fall in order to lure IndyCars in March, which also happens to be around the time of Formula 1
  • Queensland/Surfer's shifts around its downtown area for two racing events, one in March (headlined by Indy and close to F1) and one in October (Supercars)
  • The rumored date is incorrect and the IndyCars go to Surfer's on the same weekend as Supercars have run (late October)
  • IndyCar goes to a permanent circuit

I don't realistically see the city hosting two different race weekends at different times of the year; it's 3 weeks to a month for setup/teardown for a street race, after all. And I don't see the local group moving the Supercars race to the spring to accommodate IndyCar; this isn't like previously, when the IndyCars were the attraction for the race meeting (Remember, Michael Andretti opened the 1994 season with Reynard's first win and one of Chip Ganassi's first wins down in Australia, and other years the Surfer's round was near the close of the season).

A best-case scenario I'd like to see? Laguna Seca in late September, send equipment to Surfer's and have it the same weekend as the Supercars weekend, and then bring all that to California Speedway to finish the season on the big oval on Halloween weekend.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

harperdc posted:

I don't realistically see the city hosting two different race weekends at different times of the year; it's 3 weeks to a month for setup/teardown for a street race, after all. And I don't see the local group moving the Supercars race to the spring to accommodate IndyCar; this isn't like previously, when the IndyCars were the attraction for the race meeting (Remember, Michael Andretti opened the 1994 season with Reynard's first win and one of Chip Ganassi's first wins down in Australia, and other years the Surfer's round was near the close of the season).

Supercars is in an... interesting position. I don't think they're in as strong a position as you're giving them credit for. They finally (!) managed to get the broadcast rights in such a position that they could (!) run the Albert Park race as a points paying race this year. I don't think they'd mind it if they got some global eyeballs with people tuning in for the Indycar and sticking around for weird boxcars with v8s going around a street circuit.

October makes a ridiculous of sense for Queensland. The sports calendar here is empty after the traditional "last Saturday/Sunday in September" weekend, which means you've got a vacuum to advertise to.

The October slot makes so. much. sense.
So my bet is they shove Supercars into the March area Indy wants.
March is in Autumn here, our seasons are the other way around because southern hemisphere although it's not like Queensland has actual seasons anyway.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

https://twitter.com/boring_as_heck/status/1064522819743019008

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
I'd like to become a social media marketing expert but the question is how do I give myself such severe brain damage

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

what?

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Honda's doing some dumb movie tie-in with the Grinch and it makes old tweets funny

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I keep seeing 3d animated The Grinch commercials for 23andme which is loving :wtc:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Schlesische posted:

October makes a ridiculous of sense for Queensland. The sports calendar here is empty after the traditional "last Saturday/Sunday in September" weekend, which means you've got a vacuum to advertise to.

The October slot makes so. much. sense.
So my bet is they shove Supercars into the March area Indy wants.
March is in Autumn here, our seasons are the other way around because southern hemisphere although it's not like Queensland has actual seasons anyway.

For the non-Aussies: imagine if the NFL and...err, the other NFL has their Super Bowls on a Saturday and Sunday. Both the seasons end the same weekend. That’s Australia in late September/first weekend of October. And as of late the Surfer’s Paradise Supercars race has been after the endurance rounds (including the Bathurst 1000).

So yeah, October makes too much sense, but they’ll probably do the stupid thing anyways.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Surfers probably wants to be a points race, but IndyCar wont want to end the season overseas. So thats the rub.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Cygni posted:

Surfers probably wants to be a points race, but IndyCar wont want to end the season overseas. So thats the rub.

Make it the first race of the season, October to September. Problem solved?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

This article was dropped into Discord: https://www.speedcafe.com/2018/11/20/three-months-to-decide-on-gold-coast-indy-return/

From reading that, it actually does sound like they’re looking at a February or March date for the race. It sounds like the local Gold Coast and Queensland state government is working to make it the season opening event. I think February makes more sense than March (the only close competition is the Bathurst 12 Hour but that’s early in the month per next year’s schedule, and it gets it out of the way of F1) but in either case it sounds like they’re willing to work for that early year date.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

February is kind of barren for racing so even the drivers who dabble in other series like IMSA or WEC will be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

It'll be like 35 degrees celsius (somewhere around 100F), but if the engines can take then we cool.