Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Tormented posted:

Is there really any game breaking bugs? It seems pretty bug-free.
Not game breaking, but there's a few bugs, yeah. Byzantine emperor's electoral power getting sapped by the game thinking they've fired comnanders, warrior lodges only being able to call a gathering once, black title shields, children born after their father dies being their mothet's dynasty, et cetera.

Sydin posted:

Is there any compelling reason not to always pick Temporal?
If you make a vassal 'pope' you can basically excommunicate - imprison - execute at will for no tyranny, which can be nice.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Nov 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

luxury handset posted:

equality is always fun and theme appropriate for pagans

Eh. According to Pagan revivalists and some pop culture stuff, maybe. Historically, pagan societies were generally just as patriarchal and male-dominated and centered as the organized relgions, if not more. Still in the game you are free to do whatever you wish, though I wouldn't really consider for instance the historical norse to have had much in the way of gender equality to consider it theme appropriate for them to have when reforming their religion, unless you count modern Scandinavia generally being pretty far along when it comes to the rights and equality of women.

e: That said, Equality is a good doctrine. Haruspicy, Ancestor Worship and Meritocracy also seem pretty good, the first two even pretty thematically appropriate for Vikings, and designating an heir is good, though it seems less necessary now when you can game elective by having lots of cash.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Nov 20, 2018

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Strudel Man posted:

Not game breaking, but there's a few bugs, yeah. Byzantine emperor's electoral power getting sapped by the game thinking they've fired comnanders, warrior lodges only being able to call a gathering once, black title shields, children born after their father dies being their mothet's dynasty, et cetera.

If you make a vassal 'pope' you can basically excommunicate - imprison - execute at will for no tyranny, which can be nice.

I'd be more interested in a vassal pope if they'd give up them claims. I'll imprison or shank a bitch whenever I want, can't really force decent CBs though

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Randarkman posted:

e: That said, Equality is a good doctrine. Haruspicy, Ancestor Worship and Meritocracy also seem pretty good, the first two even pretty thematically appropriate for Vikings, and designating an heir is good, though it seems less necessary now when you can game elective by having lots of cash.

Heir designation also only works within whatever succession system you have. So if you're still stuck in gavelkind all Meritocracy does is let you select who gets the primary title: everything else still fragments as normal. It's stupidly good if you can pair it with ultimo though.

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

indigi posted:

I'd be more interested in a vassal pope if they'd give up them claims. I'll imprison or shank a bitch whenever I want, can't really force decent CBs though

I thought they fixed that. Where a vassal pope can now refuse demands sometimes.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

they refuse basically all my requests for claims, vassal or not. even if I get someone excommunicated it's like 50/50 whether they'll give me a duchy claim

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Fat Samurai posted:

Good Viking reformation doctrines? Warmongering and Sons of Ragnarok seems a no-brainer, but then I keep wondering between Monasticism, Equality and Ancestor Veneration.

That's where I stopped on the weekend. I'm not sure warmongering is worth it. I'm not sure if I want to paint the whole map. What's even the point of being a Viking if there is no one left to raid? And supposedly the levy bonus you get is gone if you chose Unrelenting, though I haven't tested that. For doctrines I'm not sure about Equality. Will bloodline inheritence work as expected? And as long as I'm on Gavelkind that effectively means that I need to beat up all my sisters too. Eldership succession seems like a drag. Maybe just Meritocracy?

Edit: But Bloodthirsty gods is pretty clicky isn't it? Rightclick on a prisomer to sacrifice.

genericnick fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Nov 20, 2018

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS
Personally, I've been liking Bloodthirsty Gods as a doctrine, just because it fits so well with raiding everything and capturing dozens of people who I can't ransom and don't want for the Blot.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
A title being held by an infant is +50 to the claim calculation, enough to offset the base reluctance.

So if you really want a claim, you can get it by stabbing enough people, you know, the way you solve all your problems in CK2.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Astrology gives you something to do other than murdering all the time, which is to join the hermetics for insane boosts.

Seriously, Zun is now the Top Tier religion that you can actually play as; You don't get a monastic order but it's the weakest society anyway (though conversions aren't nothing) but you get a mad good combat trait, native access to the hermetics, can pick warmongering to get raiding again and native intermarriage with the dharmic religions (i.e. cosmopolitan lite)

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Yeah, seconding astrology if you don't play Hellenic or Zunist. Warrior lodges are very nice, but not all characters are badass warriors. For me, it really helps to have access to a more peaceful society.

By the way, the Hellenic combat trait is also very good. Movement speed, plus morale damage and defense make for a top tier army. Not quite as useful as movement speed + siege speed that Zunists get, but better in field battles.

Zunists biggest drawback is that you start right next to the Abbassids, and have mega-Tibet to the East if you try to escape in that direction.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

Strudel Man posted:

Or the slight variation of excommunicate - imprison hoping they revolt - take their poo poo if they do, humiliate and do it again if they don't. Pretty gamey but very effective. Temporal is good for calling your own great holy wars so I'd take that if you plan on expanding a lot more after reforming, otherwise having a vassal pope can be really good if you're already a large realm.

Oh and divine blood is always a solid doctrine. I took it for reformed African because I had 2 matrilineal bloodlines at that point but opinion bonuses are always welcome too.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

genericnick posted:

For doctrines I'm not sure about Equality. Will bloodline inheritence work as expected?

i'm not sure exactly, but my impression is that equality makes it so that bloodlines are inherited from both mothers and fathers. i haven't done enough playing to confirm this but from a few examples it seems that in a gender neutral society they don't care which side the blood comes from

genericnick posted:

Eldership succession seems like a drag.

eldership can be annoying trying to get all your cranky old elders to fall in line but even if they're all being mean bastards, they can only choose from your children iirc so it's like a spammier tanistry without them trying to find the most distant elderly kin to appoint as heir. so if you make all your kids good then it works out. but if you have one drooling incompetent child then everyone's going to pick that one just to gently caress with you

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Nov 20, 2018

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Torrannor posted:

Yeah, seconding astrology if you don't play Hellenic or Zunist. Warrior lodges are very nice, but not all characters are badass warriors. For me, it really helps to have access to a more peaceful society.
I was deciding between meritocracy and astrology when reforming, but maybe I will go for astrology. How hard is elective in the current patch? Can I still get my chosen heir 95% of time?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

darthbob88 posted:

Personally, I've been liking Bloodthirsty Gods as a doctrine, just because it fits so well with raiding everything and capturing dozens of people who I can't ransom and don't want for the Blot.
I'm thinking the best for that is actually Hellenic. Bloodthirsty gods has a synergy with haruspicy, which you can spend one of your two precious aspects on - or you can be Hellenic, which has it built in.

I've got a scheme to grab Ragnarr's bloodline to access the viking traits, then convert and reform Hellenism with bloodthirsty gods and enatic clans, to make a kingdom of warrior queens who will burn down and sacrifice everyone around them.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

can you kill the elders

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

indigi posted:

can you kill the elders

Yes but the other elders won't like it. If they don't have any titles you can just ask them to leave your court though.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Alright I got Charles Martel, Attila, Almos Arpad, and Neil of the Nine Hostages blood all on one character. Thank god for Tanistry.

jwalrus
Jul 27, 2007

Horsebanger posted:

10/10 because Khazaria took the Byzantine empire, which reformed from the immediate civil war afterwards.

Is this pretty common now? Because it just happened in my Trebizond game--we were in the middle of one of our yearly civil wars (as you do) when I looked up and there was a 10K stack sitting in Constantinople. Next thing I know, we're all subjects of the Khagan, who promptly dies. Then his son (I think) decides to settle as Emperor and suddenly we're back. The "Basileus" is a Tengri Khazar, but so far he's been pretty chill about the whole thing, and instead of themes he's giving out duchies now. Game is good.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Funky Valentine posted:

Alright I got Charles Martel, Attila, Almos Arpad, and Neil of the Nine Hostages blood all on one character. Thank god for Tanistry.

secret kwisatz haderach achievement in the works

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

The Roman culture retinues are pretty goddamn amazing.

400 pike
150 heavy infantry

The pikes get a +20% boost to offense/defense, and a +40% morale boost
The HI get a +25% boost to offense/defense, and a +20% morale boost

Roman culture also gets the Italian pike cultural tactic, which gives +200% pike offense, and +20% HI offense.

A Roman cultured merchant republic is now my new plan for the next game.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
How do you form Rome/get Roman culture? I'm Italia and I have the entire peninsula + Tunis, Egypt, and Jerusalem. Do I need to take the Byzantine crown?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Sydin posted:

How do you form Rome/get Roman culture? I'm Italia and I have the entire peninsula + Tunis, Egypt, and Jerusalem. Do I need to take the Byzantine crown?
Reforming Rome is a decision available to the Byzantine emperor, after they've conquered enough former Roman territory, so yes. After doing so, if you're...either any Latin culture, or maybe just Italian, you have an option for a Roman Renaissance, which makes you, Rome, and a random scattering of territories around it, Roman.

edit: Actually, the Roman Renaissance is available just to Italian or Greek characters.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

jwalrus posted:

Is this pretty common now? Because it just happened in my Trebizond game--we were in the middle of one of our yearly civil wars (as you do) when I looked up and there was a 10K stack sitting in Constantinople. Next thing I know, we're all subjects of the Khagan, who promptly dies. Then his son (I think) decides to settle as Emperor and suddenly we're back. The "Basileus" is a Tengri Khazar, but so far he's been pretty chill about the whole thing, and instead of themes he's giving out duchies now. Game is good.

this is the most byzantine thing i have read all week.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Has anyone checked if you can reform Rome with hellenism as your religion now? Before it was locked to just orthodox and maybe catholic I believe, I know I tried to do it with an orthodox heresy once and had to flip religions quick to be able to take the decision.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Strudel Man posted:

Reforming Rome is a decision available to the Byzantine emperor, after they've conquered enough former Roman territory, so yes. After doing so, if you're...either any Latin culture, or maybe just Italian, you have an option for a Roman Renaissance, which makes you, Rome, and a random scattering of territories around it, Roman.

edit: Actually, the Roman Renaissance is available just to Italian or Greek characters.

Cool, thanks. Probably shouldn't have burned my Alexander Invasion CB on Egypt then, since I could of gobbled up plenty of Byzantine territory with it instead. Live and learn.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

Has anyone checked if you can reform Rome with hellenism as your religion now? Before it was locked to just orthodox and maybe catholic I believe, I know I tried to do it with an orthodox heresy once and had to flip religions quick to be able to take the decision.
Most definitely you can. It's christian group or hellenic pagan. Doesn't even currently require that you not be a heretic, that I can see.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

genericnick posted:

Edit: But Bloodthirsty gods is pretty clicky isn't it? Rightclick on a prisomer to sacrifice.

It 100% works with blots. Blot em and you still get the sacrifice traits and events as is appropriate.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

Christian or Hellenic:

code:
or = { 
        religion_group = christian 
        religion = hellenic_pagan 
        religion = hellenic_pagan_reformed
}

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Surprised stability hasn't gotten any mention. No short reign penalty is enough that you have to really try to get a revolt.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

So one thing I noticed, every random high chief/chief/duke will pump out a max sized retinue in a tribal society. Retinues can also be inherited.

So if you appoint super old people with no children as your vassals? They will keep dying and leaving you their retinues and it is possible to go way, way over the cap like that. As long as you then use them to murder the retinues of random other people on raid mode you can afford the Prestige to maintain them. It seems to be quite possible to get to double or triple your retinue cap like this.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
Hah. My liege, the byzantine emperor, had me as a rival and was plotting to kill me, about which I was somewhat concerned. Thankfully, when I offered to teach him to be multilingual, he agreed, giving me a favor which I could promptly use on a "stop plot" request.

Mostly amusing for the mental image. "Okay, I'll teach you Arabic, if you PROMISE to stop trying to have me killed."

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
decided to get Holy Fury after not really playing much CK2 beyond loving around and thinking I was mainly just a guy who'd watch LPs and all but not play it myself.

I played one of the tiny norse guys just to get a hold of things but I think I'm probably gonna restart as one of the biggers, or maybe the slavic pagans. Regardless I had a blast, I've got all the major expansions and I forgot how engaging this game could be. I'm probably gonna bump my puny 33 hours played up a lot now...

Have they confirmed this is the last expansion, though? Does that mean CK3 is coming at some point or do we not know?

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Someone asked about Basques and the Reconquista. The culture description definitely says they can, but I haven’t found a way to do it yet, even starting as navarra. Is it normally in the intrigue screen? Or via right click on yourself? Or right click on the target?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

sexpig by night posted:

decided to get Holy Fury after not really playing much CK2 beyond loving around and thinking I was mainly just a guy who'd watch LPs and all but not play it myself.

I played one of the tiny norse guys just to get a hold of things but I think I'm probably gonna restart as one of the biggers, or maybe the slavic pagans. Regardless I had a blast, I've got all the major expansions and I forgot how engaging this game could be. I'm probably gonna bump my puny 33 hours played up a lot now...

Have they confirmed this is the last expansion, though? Does that mean CK3 is coming at some point or do we not know?

As far as we know it's the last one - there was a timeline released a few expansions ago that more or less lines up with what they've released and they haven't said anything since then that's indicated they've extended the planned content for CK2 (the game's getting pretty old at this point). Nothing has been said about a potential CK3, although it's not crazy to imagine that they might might have some internal pre-production happening. It's likely years away, though.

Palemdromes posted:

Someone asked about Basques and the Reconquista. The culture description definitely says they can, but I haven’t found a way to do it yet, even starting as navarra. Is it normally in the intrigue screen? Or via right click on yourself? Or right click on the target?

It's in the intrigue screen - you need a certain amount of piety, prestige, and cash to activate it. When you take the decision it activates a 2 year timer and event chain where you'll get a bunch of options to trade piety for cash from the pope, and trade cash for more event troops. As long as the timer is active you'll have a special CB you can use on any muslim ruler in Iberia where you can grab multiple duchies from them in one go (there are certain pre-defined sets you can claim so it might not always work out nicely).

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Nov 20, 2018

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I finally usurped the Ducky of Aragon! Mercs solve everything.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
lol do you get your regents money if he takes over for a day? i got locked up for raiding a laboratory and was only in there as long as it took my ransom to post. came home to a cool 5 g's in the bank.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

Are the new prestige retinues for Vikings not allowed to raid? I can't select it - is it only raised levies that can raid now?

tombom
Mar 8, 2006
If you're a Bloodthirsty Gods religion and in Eldership it's possible for the blood games to get an elder killed... and because all blood games kills get attributed to you all the elders are mad at you for decades for "killing an elder", throwing your succession plans off. Fun anti-synergy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

MinistryofLard posted:

Are the new prestige retinues for Vikings not allowed to raid? I can't select it - is it only raised levies that can raid now?

I can raid with my African retinues