Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

You can plug a non-line level turntable directly into the 6s, which you can't with the lower models. I just have a $30 behringer pre-amp between my turntable and my gear, personally. They also have a decently bigger sized woofer at 5.25" compared to 4".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I have a pretty nice 5.1 setup, but I wonder if these Atmos speakers would make a difference

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0148NPHO8/?coliid=I3HHXJV9SWTBQN&colid=VY4XJKCC4JN2&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Reflecting speakers do work and can be convincing depending on room setup.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The ceiling is flat, but there is a ceiling fan.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

pwn posted:

I honestly don’t know what makes a YU6 almost twice as much as a YU3.
Bigger drivers, more power, more bass. If you’re using a sub the difference is probably negligible.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Looking to replace my old 40" 720p Samsung Plasma with something newer. Was thinking about getting this Samsung 55" QLED TV from CostCo this week for $1,000. Looks to only be about $100 off

https://www.costco.com/Samsung-55%22-Class-(54.6%22-Diag.)-4K-UHD-QLED-LCD-TV.product.100420510.html

Rtings says it's comparable to this model: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/q6fn-q6f-q6-2018

I have an 55" OLED in my basement, so very dark with no windows. Viewing distance is straight on. Absolutely love it, but don't love the price to replace a second TV.... the QLED would be about $650 less. So it's like, I have a nice setup with the OLED, I don't feel like I need TWO OLEDs in my home, but I still want something nice.

So this is going in a bright room that always has lamps on or a big window in front of the TV with reflections, and I heard that this TV probably does better with those than an OLED would. I also have a couch at an angle, but I don't really watch TV from there ever, so the viewing angle thing isn't a huge concern.

Any concerns about this model over something very similar? Or have I spoiled myself with OLED and will be disappointed? Also, should I be concerned that the OLED doesn't do Dolby Vision? I am not really up to speed on who is winning the Dolby Vision vs HDR10 war right now

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

QLED is made up garbage. You can probably do better. See what you can get in a 8xx or 9xx series Sony around that price.

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

Astro7x posted:

I have an 55" OLED in my basement, so very dark with no windows. Viewing distance is straight on. Absolutely love it, but don't love the price to replace a second TV.... the QLED would be about $650 less. So it's like, I have a nice setup with the OLED, I don't feel like I need TWO OLEDs in my home, but I still want something nice.
lol look at how effective samsung's marketing is

The QLED or quantum dot led backlit TV is basically regular ol' LCD tv with a fancy name and markup. Sony has some fancy name for their LCD tv called triluminos that's similar to QLED and so does few other manufacturers. All of those has some extra layer between the LCD and they are all not as good as true OLED.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Is that graphic from Samsung? If so, holy poo poo is that misleading.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I'm a samsung fanboy and holy cr*p their qled poo poo is yikes.

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

On the other hand can't they simply make every single LED backlight on the QLED tv individually controlled?

For example increasing the dynamic backlight zones to every single pixel and being able to adjust their brightness on a pixel basis?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Density is the issue. You essentially described micro-led. However, the smallest 4k panel they can make right now is like 110" because they haven't figured out the density problem yet.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Astro7x posted:

Looking to replace my old 40" 720p Samsung Plasma with something newer. Was thinking about getting this Samsung 55" QLED TV from CostCo this week for $1,000. Looks to only be about $100 off

https://www.costco.com/Samsung-55%22-Class-(54.6%22-Diag.)-4K-UHD-QLED-LCD-TV.product.100420510.html

Rtings says it's comparable to this model: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/q6fn-q6f-q6-2018

So this is going in a bright room that always has lamps on or a big window in front of the TV with reflections, and I heard that this TV probably does better with those than an OLED would. I also have a couch at an angle, but I don't really watch TV from there ever, so the viewing angle thing isn't a huge concern.

Any concerns about this model over something very similar? Or have I spoiled myself with OLED and will be disappointed? Also, should I be concerned that the OLED doesn't do Dolby Vision? I am not really up to speed on who is winning the Dolby Vision vs HDR10 war right now

If you're going to spend $1k on a 55", get the Sony X900F instead. It's a better tv.

Edit: Although I guess the Q6FN is pretty close, according to rtings. 8.3 vs an 8.0.

qbert fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Nov 20, 2018

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Encrypted posted:

lol look at how effective samsung's marketing is

The QLED or quantum dot led backlit TV is basically regular ol' LCD tv with a fancy name and markup. Sony has some fancy name for their LCD tv called triluminos that's similar to QLED and so does few other manufacturers. All of those has some extra layer between the LCD and they are all not as good as true OLED.

I am not interested in QLED because of the fancy name, I am interested in it based on the reviews and price. I get that QLED is basically LED.

And like I said, I have an OLED already. I am not sure I want to spend $650 more for another OLED, when if I want to view something on an OLED I can go use that TV for true blacks and whatnot. But I do want something that looks nice and I can play games on. I also have slight concerns about burn in, because my daughter loves to just pause the show and leave it on for hours and my wife will never proactively turn the TV off to prevent burn in.

qbert posted:

If you're going to spend $1k on a 55", get the Sony X900F instead. It's a better tv.

Edit: Although I guess the Q6FN is pretty close, according to rtings. 8.3 vs an 8.0.

I looked into the X900F

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/compare/samsung-q6fn-vs-sony-x900f/623/585#usage*4854!threshold*0.1

My main things between these two is that the Q6FN has better input lag for gaming from 1080p sources (15ms for the Q6FN vs. 40ms on the X900F). That's kind of a big deal to me, I still play Rock Band and input lag is a big concern. I also have a PS4 I play in HDR mode at 1080 (non pro model), so the input lag there is great IMO on the Q6FN. The Q6FN also lacks Dolby Vision while the X900F has it (but I have Dolby Vision on my OLED). I don't know how big of a deal the local dimming thing is, because I'm not in a dark room when watching it. Lights are always on or there is a big window in front of the TV. You just can't make the room completely dark.

If someone has a comparable model to recommend, please throw it my way. I am up for picking something different if it is better and within the same price range.

Edit: I guess you could argue that the Samsung NU8000 is very comparable to the Q6FN, but $250 cheaper. In this Rtings side-by-side, I can barely see what is different about the two that is worth $250 more. "The overall performance of the Samsung Q6FN and the Samsung NU8000 is very similar, but the Q6FN is slightly better across the board. The differences are marginal though."

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/compare/samsung-q6fn-vs-samsung-nu8000/623/586#usage*4854!threshold*0.1
https://www.costco.com/Samsung-55%22-Class-(54.6%22-Diag.)-4K-UHD-LED-LCD-TV.product.100409211.html

Astro7x fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Nov 20, 2018

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

If your main criteria is gaming, just buy the TCL R615/617. It gets you into the same input lag range and similar video quality for far far less.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

bull3964 posted:

..the smallest 4k panel they can make right now is like 110"

I'll take one! (I don't want to think about the price).

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

EL BROMANCE posted:

I'll take one! (I don't want to think about the price).

Sorry, I was wrong. 260" appears to be the minimum size for UHD. 110" is for 1080p.

Prices are $137k - $480k.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Sounds a bargain at almost half the price of my house, which probably doesn't even have a wall big enough to mount it on.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Astro7x posted:

, I still play Rock Band

Sweet adorable Jesus, please go get a real instrument. Please? At least get Rocksmith

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

bull3964 posted:

Sorry, I was wrong. 260" appears to be the minimum size for UHD. 110" is for 1080p.

Prices are $137k - $480k.

I think the first one shipped to an individual went in LeBron James' house which is pretty on brand, being sponsored by Samsung.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
How far back from a 110" 1080p display would you have to sit before it stopped looking like poo poo?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

bull3964 posted:

If your main criteria is gaming, just buy the TCL R615/617. It gets you into the same input lag range and similar video quality for far far less.

See, that's what I'm talking about. I haven't even looked at the TCL

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/compare/samsung-q6fn-vs-tcl-r617/623/613#usage*4854!threshold*0.1

$629, looks very comparable, low input lag, and does Dolby Vision and HDR

codo27 posted:

Sweet adorable Jesus, please go get a real instrument. Please? At least get Rocksmith

I play drums, so gently caress off dude...

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I was surprised at how I detected zero input lag from retro gaming on my 2018 LG OLED. A lot of people told me in 2016 that the LG OLEDs had terrible input lag for whatever reason. I'm not sure if they were wrong or that used to be the case but it definitely isn't any more.

I also thought retro games were going to look like poo poo because all the upscalers only go to 1080p but somehow it looks identical to being played on a native 1080p display. Maybe the TV just upscales from 1080 really well or something but I definitely anticipated some blurriness and yet it looks perfect.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Astro7x posted:

I play drums, so gently caress off dude...

Yeah, I picked up Guitar Hero 2 for my XBOX 360 years ago (the one with the ESP Explorer styled guitar) and just loved that there was a video game out that I didn't completely suck at because I could play instruments already. They're fun games, I miss them.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I suspect most people who had bad gaming experiences on LCDs several years ago were dealing with 150-300 milliseconds lag and nowadays the people who claim they can tell the difference between like 61 and 37 ms are exaggerating their own abilities, like yeah it's 40% faster but the baseline is so much better than it used to be who cares?

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Shmup players

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Personally I find it extremely difficult to notice any lag differences at ~40ms and below. Either that or I'm getting old.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

I'm busy, and I'm having fun.

Astro7x posted:

Edit: I guess you could argue that the Samsung NU8000 is very comparable to the Q6FN, but $250 cheaper. In this Rtings side-by-side, I can barely see what is different about the two that is worth $250 more. "The overall performance of the Samsung Q6FN and the Samsung NU8000 is very similar, but the Q6FN is slightly better across the board. The differences are marginal though."

Astro7x posted:

See, that's what I'm talking about. I haven't even looked at the TCL

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/compare/samsung-q6fn-vs-tcl-r617/623/613#usage*4854!threshold*0.1

$629, looks very comparable, low input lag, and does Dolby Vision and HDR

Unless they're practically the same price, don't get the Q6FN over the NU8000. Whatever small differences are there absolutely aren't worth the markup.

The biggest advantage to the NU8000 over the R617, as I see it, is the Samsung can accept 120Hz input at both 1080p and 1440p (edit: for 55" or above, the 49" is 60Hz for some reason). If you're not hooking up a gaming PC then the difference probably isn't worth it and you should go with the TCL. It also supports Freesync but I can't use it so I can't say how well it works.

The biggest tradeoff is that Samsung's local dimming is total rear end and can only be disabled through the service menu, which is a hassle most people won't want to go through.

Level 1 Thief fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Nov 21, 2018

Rinaldi
Dec 29, 2008
Not sure if this is the right thread but we'll see.

I have an LG OLED C8. I just got a PS4 Pro and a Denon AVR-S740 receiver. The receiver is hooked up to the ARC HDMI port on the tv. When going through the receiver, the PS4 Pro won't output 4k HDR @ 60. The cables I'm using are High Speed amazon cables and the cable that came with the PS4 Pro. When hooked directly to the TV, it works fine. So, the receiver seems to be the weak link.

I can hook the PS4 to the TV directly and just pass the audio to the receiver instead....however the ARC port doesn't seem to be passing the tv audio to the receiver. It works when I use an optical cable, however.

1. Does anyone know of a way to make the receiver pass through 4k HDR appropriately? By it's spec list it shouldn't be an issue.

2. If not, does anyone know how to make the ARC stuff work? I set audio output to ARC and that didn't do anything. Is using the optical out somehow worse, or is it basically the same?

3. Dumb question, but is the audio passthrough from PS4->TV->receiver just as good as PS4->receiver directly? Am I losing anything in that process?

Appreciate any help.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Optical out is the same as ARC if you can't get the TV audio to transfer any other way. Also it's preferable to hook your 4K devices directly to the tv and let the tv send the audio to the receiver. I know on LGs there's a specific option to select sound output but it seems like you already tried that. If optical is working fine for you then there's really no reason to change your current setup.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

American McGay posted:

Also it's preferable to hook your 4K devices directly to the tv and let the tv send the audio to the receiver.

No it absolutely is not. ARC is limited in bandwidth and can't do lossless audio. You are also more likely to run into lip sync issues.

Check to make sure ULTRA HD Deep Color is enabled on the ARC port on the TV. It could be as simple as you not having UHD enabled on the ARC port which would prevent the PS4 from doing 4k.

KracKiwi
Mar 29, 2002

:byodood: well excuse me, princess!

Rinaldi posted:

1. Does anyone know of a way to make the receiver pass through 4k HDR appropriately? By it's spec list it shouldn't be an issue.

I have an LG OLED C8 + Denon AVR-X3500H and ran into similar issues with 4k HDR. What worked for me was changing the receiver signal format from standard to enhanced in setup -> video -> 4k signal format:

KracKiwi fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Nov 21, 2018

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

bull3964 posted:

No it absolutely is not. ARC is limited in bandwidth and can't do lossless audio.
Idk man a $3 optical cable seem preferable to buying a brand new 4K HDR receiver.

Rinaldi
Dec 29, 2008

bull3964 posted:

Check to make sure ULTRA HD Deep Color is enabled on the ARC port on the TV.

I made sure that Ultra HD was enabled for the input. It works fine when hooked directly to the tv but not when going through the receiver first.

KracKiwi posted:

I have an LG OLED C8 + Denon AVR-X3500H and ran into similar issues with 4k HDR. What worked for me was changing the receiver signal format from standard to enhanced in setup -> video -> 4k signal format:

I’ll give this a try next, thanks!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

American McGay posted:

Idk man a $3 optical cable seem preferable to buying a brand new 4K HDR receiver.

Rinaldi has a 4k HDR receiver.

Otherwise, this is the reason why UHD players have dual HDMI out. ARC is fine for internal apps, but always go to the receiver first if you can.

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

bull3964 posted:

Rinaldi has a 4k HDR receiver.

Otherwise, this is the reason why UHD players have dual HDMI out. ARC is fine for internal apps, but always go to the receiver first if you can.

Wait why do UHD receivers have dual HDMI out? I'm not getting it. misread sorry

I'm using ARC for everything, is that bad? Does Netflix 4k content, Xbox One X games etc. use lossless audio or anything I would lose with ARC?

Something Offal fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Nov 21, 2018

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Something Offal posted:

Wait why do UHD receivers have dual HDMI out? I'm not getting it.

Not receivers, blu-ray players. It's so you can run high res audio to a receiver and video to the TV if your receiver isn't capable of passing through the video signal.

They gained popularity when 3d started since early HDMI receivers couldn't pass 3d and remained useful as UHD came about.

Now, many receivers also have dual HDMI out. The most typical use case for something like this is a TV/Projector setup. However, they can also be useful hooked up to the same display if you wanted to have two different picture presets available. For example, you could have HDMI1 on your TV set to game mode and HDMI2 set to movie mode and have both ports hooked up to the receiver. Then you can program your PS4 activity on your Harmony to use HDMI1 on the TV and your blu-ray player to use HDMI2 and easily get the correct modes without screwing around with the TV settings.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Something Offal posted:

Wait why do UHD receivers have dual HDMI out? I'm not getting it. misread sorry

You struck this out but it’s never a bad thing to clarify.

Receivers can have Zone 2 or Zone B. One is a cheaper version of the other, and often the price difference is $800+. For example, I have a budget receiver but it has 2 HDMI outs which mirror each other. The higher priced ones let you run 2 simultaneous outputs from different inputs. It’s useful if you want to mirror or just run a different feed into a different room or outside.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

bull3964 posted:

Researching the R615/617... I am hearing a lot of complaints about how some TVs have vertical banding issues. Is this still a thing, or are people just being spergy about their $600 TV? No idea if it's a vocal minority thing or a common problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Black friday deals are floating around. Anyone have comments about 65" TCL 65S4 that is going for 400?