Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Fourth is the map at the front.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Rain shadows! :arghfist:

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Fifth is the glossary of made up words studded with apostrophes in the back.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
sixth: the penis (this time a pop-up book version)

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
seventh: balls, too

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

A part of me wants to write a big epic fantasy book, but shamelessly rip off the plot of Final Fantasy 6 and draw a bunch of maps of the world, but have none of them make any sense so that fans struggle to come up with reasons why it only took two days of travel for the party to walk across the entire planet, but it took them a week in a boat to go 20 miles up a valley road.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

seventh: balls, too

Do the second book

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
By this logic Malazan is bad, because it is all anime and fighting.

Malazan is not bad. It is great.

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah

Benson Cunningham posted:

:can:

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
One of the Malazan books is called Memories of Ice, so I assume that it's at least as good as One Hundred Years of Solitude.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Malazan is trash.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Sham bam bamina! posted:

One of the Malazan books is called Memories of Ice, so I assume that it's at least as good as One Hundred Years of Solitude.

it would be a lot cooler if it was just a guy reminiscing about reading anna kavan's novel ice

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

There is no world where Sanderson and Rothfuss are defensible and Malazan isn't. If you want to say it's all poo poo, sure. Go ahead, that is a consistent, logical viewpoint. But if you think Sanderson is a good writer and Malazan is poorly written, I don't even-

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Imagine a thousand page epic about a sumptuously feast with GRRM writing the florid descriptions of the food and drink and Steven Erikson providing the witty banter.

There is no world where Sanderson and Rothfuss are defensible and Malazan isn't.

Rothfuss is relatively concise and doesn't have innumerable intersecting plot threads (because there's only one and it never goes anywhere).

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Nov 21, 2018

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice

There is no world where Sanderson and Rothfuss are defensible and Malazan isn't. If you want to say it's all poo poo, sure. Go ahead, that is a consistent, logical viewpoint. But if you think Sanderson is a good writer and Malazan is poorly written, I don't even-

Thus.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Malayan and other pen and paper campaigns turned novel are all bad. Also applies to MMO stuff like the sanctuary series.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Maybe someone who r'eall'y h'at'ed ex'tra a'pos'troph'e's

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Maybe someone who r'eall'y h'at'ed ex'tra a'pos'troph'e's

The k'chain che'malle are beautiful space dinosaur babies and I will not have their good reputation besmirched here.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I can't even remember any unnecessary apostrophes in Sanderson's writings.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Evil Fluffy posted:

Malayan and other pen and paper campaigns turned novel are all bad. Also applies to MMO stuff like the sanctuary series.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Torrannor posted:

I can't even remember any unnecessary apostrophes in Sanderson's writings.

Yeah, that's the distinction I was drawing. An apostrophe purist could legitimately like Sanderson and hate Malazan.

I added a bunch of extra apostrophes to the Malazan thread's title years ago and it was over a year before anyone noticed

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Ok, what makes Malazan great?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
The apostrophe discussion is legitimately the best part of Reamde.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

I am forced to disagree with the notion that there is any part of Reamde that was not extremely boring.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Ok, what makes Malazan great?

Malazan is odd because I’ve read a few of the books and care nothing for any of the characters. There are too many and we don’t see inside their heads long enough for me to build a connection with any of them. A lot of it reads like the history of a fictional world, and the writing is strong enough to make that compelling.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Malazan is grim dark anime fanfiction. There are some prerequisites to liking it:

1. You probably need to know what a Space Marine is or have played Warhammer 1+ times.
2. At one point in your life, you were enthralled by Dragon Ball Z.
3. You haven't read any long grimdark books in the last 3-4 years.

If you fulfill those criteria, Malazan is a blast. If any of them are not true, you probably don't like Malazan.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Malazan is grim dark anime fanfiction. There are some prerequisites to liking it:

1. You probably need to know what a Space Marine is or have played Warhammer 1+ times.
2. At one point in your life, you were enthralled by Dragon Ball Z.
3. You haven't read any long grimdark books in the last 3-4 years.

If you fulfill those criteria, Malazan is a blast. If any of them are not true, you probably don't like Malazan.

Ok, this explains a lot. I mean, I will cop to being a 40k fan (there are a lot of Necrons currently encamped in my house) but 40k works much better as an over the top satire then a real grimdark setting in my opinion. It's fun, but I wouldn't rate the 40k universe as a place that makes a lot of sense or has any deeper meaning.

I legitimately find Sanderson better because if I'm going for brokebrain entertainment (my usual purpose in reading fantasy novels) I can actually follow his stuff without slogging through a zillion fake made up names, unmemorable characters, or desperate attempts at being edgy that come off as dumb (Children of the Dead Seed, anyone?). Sanderson is popcorn, Malazan feels like that crazy uncle earnestly explaining QAnon and the Deep State.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Malazan feels like that crazy uncle earnestly explaining QAnon and the Deep State.

For me at least, it always comes across as someone accosting me in a game store and trying to force me to listen to what happened in the past ten years of their custom GURPS campaign.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Malazan is one of those series filled with good ideas that is just not presented in a way that is palatable for me. Like the warrens are cool, the blue-skinned empress lady taking over after she thinks she killed her rivals is cool, the gods are cool, but I can't find a viewpoint to latch onto to bring me into the world. Paran and Quick Ben seemed like good main character candidates but their bits are diluted by so many others, and we don't see much of their thoughts or feelings so it's hard to tell why we should care about them.

It's a world-driven fantasy series, not a character-driven one.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
The biggest problem with Malazan for me is that every character thinks and speaka the same. I read an interview with Erikson where he acknowledges it, but denies that it's a flaw by saying something to the effect that peasants and rural people can be philosophical too. L o L

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I just finished these books, the thing that got me isn’t how perfect kvothe is. Once I settled into it I get that he’s a smart character and smart characters can be fun to read, it’s how everyone reacts to him. Every other character save Ambrose is falling over each other to suck his dick.

The most memorable is a part where he gets full of fury, and his cheerleaders point out that you shouldn’t mess with him when he gets That Look and oh no his eyes have changed colour.

Also in the early part when he’s in the harsh streets of Tarbean he’s saved by like 3-5 paper thin friendly strangers with a heart of gold in a row.

I don’t see how any of this is filmable as a movie or TV series because all the stuff I liked (kvothe messing around with sympathy, building poo poo, stacking paper, learning Adem) is the dorky fantasy everyday world building stuff that’s not visual. I enjoyed how low stakes and meanderingly plotted it was because I was reading it on a long commute but it’s not exactly pulse pounding stuff.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Nov 22, 2018

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
My favorite part of Malazan (which I have not and will never read) is that Erikson graduated from the Iowa Writer's Workshop.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
The only upside to the tv show is that it'll almost certainly make Ambrose in to some over the top villain because if it doesn't then people are going to probably relate with him and his reaction to a self entitled poo poo like kvothe.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Evil Fluffy posted:

The only upside to the tv show is that it'll almost certainly make Ambrose in to some over the top villain because if it doesn't then people are going to probably relate with him and his reaction to a self entitled poo poo like kvothe.

I assume he will be played by the flamboyant dude from the Magicians.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

If you think about it Ambrose's hostility is merely its own form of Kvothe dicksuckery

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

I assume he will be played by the flamboyant dude from the Magicians.

I'd watch a version of NotW where Hale Appleman plays Ambrose who turns out to be so much more likeable than Kvothe that they just make him the main character for season 2.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Also, the bit where kvothe killed the bandits didnt seem to make any sense. and not in a regular fantasy way but in a 'breaking the rules of its own universe' kind of way.

So, the established rules of sympathy are that you do something to a thing, and something equivalent happens to something similar. Ok. Also there needs to be a plausible link between the things, ideally them being cut from the same cloth, you can manipulate two things that are sort-of-like-each-other but its dangerous and clumsy. If you want to make a proper voodoo doll of someone you need their hair or blood.

Kvothe stabs a corpse, and the other bandit gets stabbed. What? They dont have anything in common besides being both unrelated humans+bandits. Its that easy? Does that mean no enemy is really ever a threat to a sympathist providing they have an unrelated body nearby?

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

massive spider posted:

Also, the bit where kvothe killed the bandits didnt seem to make any sense. and not in a regular fantasy way but in a 'breaking the rules of its own universe' kind of way.

So, the established rules of sympathy are that you do something to a thing, and something equivalent happens to something similar. Ok. Also there needs to be a plausible link between the things, ideally them being cut from the same cloth, you can manipulate two things that are sort-of-like-each-other but its dangerous and clumsy. If you want to make a proper voodoo doll of someone you need their hair or blood.

Kvothe stabs a corpse, and the other bandit gets stabbed. What? They dont have anything in common besides being both unrelated humans+bandits. Its that easy? Does that mean no enemy is really ever a threat to a sympathist providing they have an unrelated body nearby?

God forgive me for this violence I am about to commit; I will defend The Name of the Wind/The Wise Man's Fear this one time.

You're basically right: the idea behind Sympathy is that it's easier and takes less energy the closer an object is to each other in makeup and proximity. So he does that demonstration with Denna with the coins, the copper coin can hover the other copper coin because they're nearby and they're nearly identical. It gets harder with the iron coin, because while they're sort-of similar, they're not the same. So it's basically come down to convincing the universe that things are similar and outright lying to it when they're not. I think the book makes an example of catching a bird from the sky with a feather of a different bird; it's doable but the distance and differences make it exceptionally difficult.

As for the voodoo doll and body bullshit, it's the same basic principle. The voodoo dolls work because the hair/blood makes it extremely similar, which makes distance less of an issue. The body is a case of Kvothe being The Greatest At Sympathy and lying well enough to the universe that this dead body is close enough to the bandit's body. I only listened to the audiobook so I have no idea how it's spelled and am too lazy to look it up, but I think Devi is the only one shown in the books that has more ~magic willpower~ (is it reylar? or is that the name of his rank?) than him. I sort-of remember the body stabbing scene with him getting frustrated that it didn't do as much as he wanted it to.

I guess Kvothe being able to do corpse-to-living body Sympathy is a product of him being child prodigy and basically the Very Best No One Ever Was. Every other Sympathist ever lives in fear of being accused of Malpheasance and obviously Kvothe gives no fucks about that in this scenario. TL;DR that entire scenario is Kvothe being every bit that wish fulfillment power fantasy we already knew he was.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Sympathetic magic is a great archetypal tradition to the point that it's one of the major themes of Frazier's Golden Bough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

He also made lightning strike the tree and used that fire as his "source of power" as I recall which, if I remember correctly, the more powerful the "source" the less the objects have to be connected. Which is how Devi basically blasts through him because she has that portable sun in her desk and he was using embers from a bar's fire or something.