Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I had a two-hour drive to do last night and had planned on saving it for after the race, which I ended up doing, but there was a point during stage 2 where I considered saying screw it and listening to the rest of the race on the radio.

Still, I'll be back next year. They haven't pushed me over the edge yet and, even then, I still feel a loyalty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I just like racing. Sometimes it's bad but I still prefer it to any other sport.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

don't worry the racing is sure to get better next year with the new package lmfao

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
NASCAR<Formula 1<Indycar imo. I’ll still watch it all but that’s where I’m at on average.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Indy definitely made a great run for viewers this year. Ridiculous racing with some good coverage.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Scott Dixon driving away from the middle of that pileup in Portland virtually unscathed and Bourdais making that incredible pass at Long Beach which they ruled illegal (boo!) were the best racing moments of 2018. Chastain wrecking Harvick was pretty good too though.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Jimmiebot.exe suffered a serious failure in process "WinARace" in 2018. :getin:

Reynold posted:

NASCAR<Formula 1<Indycar imo. I’ll still watch it all but that’s where I’m at on average.

IndyCar had as many forgettable races as NASCAR did this year. Mid-Ohio was one which I remember being decided well before the finish.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

The F1 season started out looking like it was going to be interesting but it was another snoozer. I still watch most every race but it would be nice if there was a little competition.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

CBJSprague24 posted:

Jimmiebot.exe suffered a serious failure in process "WinARace" in 2018. :getin:

IndyCar had as many forgettable races as NASCAR did this year. Mid-Ohio was one which I remember being decided well before the finish.

Mid-Ohio is best experienced while drunk on a pirate ship, I think. Still, I sat at the keyhole and enjoyed the race mostly from there. Mainly I focused on Bourdais clawing his way back to 6th after crashing in qualifications right in front of us, so if you were just watching the lead you might have missed him being a badass all day.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

big nipples big life posted:

I just like racing. Sometimes it's bad but I still prefer it to any other sport.

This, right here.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.
Normally I give up watching Indy like a week or two after the 500 but this year I didn't really start watching until the 500 and I'll say I got hooked in this season. I missed a few races here and there but when I was able to catch them I did and made sure I DVR'd the last few of the season. While I still watched F1 and NASCAR via DVR the whole season I can't say it was really appointment TV. The only thing that keeps me watching them in a timely fashion is wanting to avoid spoilers for the winners. Still I was actually interested in the Indy races down the stretch so that is one positive for them.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Hey. :siren: NEW WINTER HEAT THREAD :siren:!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3874931

If you don't know what ^that^ is, we've had a CyTube channel for 5-6 years now where we watch old racin' which is primarily active in the offseason but can be used year-round. If you have something you want to have a goonwatch of, bump that thread (and probably this one, too) with some lead time and other people will wander in.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

The ebook version of Dale Jr's autobiography is $3.99 today in the Google Play Store if anybody else is interested. I couldn't believe it when I saw it.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Reynold posted:

Scott Dixon driving away from the middle of that pileup in Portland virtually unscathed and Bourdais making that incredible pass at Long Beach which they ruled illegal (boo!) were the best racing moments of 2018. Chastain wrecking Harvick was pretty good too though.

The best nascar move was Haley’s insane move in the July xfinity race at Daytona, which was also ruled illegal.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
That was such a drag they deemed it illegal :/

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
https://twitter.com/danwetzel/status/1067835506178822145?s=21

So, this seems bad.

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

It'd be interesting to see, percentage wise, how NASCAR's decline compares to other sports, except I'm not sure that other sports has had the problem of third tier cable networks having most of the events.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Elitist Bitch posted:

It'd be interesting to see, percentage wise, how NASCAR's decline compares to other sports, except I'm not sure that other sports has had the problem of third tier cable networks having most of the events.

only the NHL is probably comparable in collapse but the circumstances are drastically different. the amazing thing about NASCAR hemorrhaging viewers is that they kept doing it despite the best efforts of every major outlet to keep it propped up

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Proud Christian Mom posted:

only the NHL is probably comparable in collapse but the circumstances are drastically different. the amazing thing about NASCAR hemorrhaging viewers is that they kept doing it despite the best efforts of every major outlet to keep it propped up

Eh, sort of. The owners of both are loving stupid and think they can get away with stupid poo poo (rule changes vs endless lockouts). The specific causes are different, but the people doing it are the one and the same between the two.

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

I don't know if I would call "moving things to FS1 and NBCSN" an effort to prop up the sport. If that were the case I'd say PlayStation, Sling, and DirecTV Now did more to help by putting those channels on an affordable plan. I just moved and to get a cable package with those channels would have cost me over $100/mo for just TV. My $40 DirecTV Now package is much more affordable.

I do think we're at square one until the racing sucks less though. Proposed solution: every track with two dates installs a roval for one race. Love to see that Bristol roval.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Do like all the short track 4 banger series and add an oft-forgotten rule that any race or round of qualifying can be run clockwise at the race controller's discretion with 20 minutes of prior notice.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

The NHL and NASCAR are comparable in that the majority of their "national" audience is regional, with traditional markets and questionable/mediocre/failed expansion efforts. However, at least the NHL had the foresight, or at least the dumb luck, to come into today's sports landscape in a smaller and humbled position to grow moving forward in the "right" way. The NHL has always been the #4 pro sports league in the United States, and it's a spot they're more than happy to be in.

NASCAR, meanwhile, has never had a humbling moment at the level of a cancelled season. There's a difference between a quick blow-up and a slow downward spiral: You know there's only one way forward after a blow-up, whereas you can convince yourself into thinking you can stop the slow death of your sport when the problem is you doing just that.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

NASCAR should try a mid-week shootout race. A 150 miler on Wednesday or something

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

shyduck posted:

NASCAR should try a mid-week shootout race. A 150 miler on Wednesday or something

It's a concept that's picked up a lot of steam lately, seems like. I wouldn't be shocked to see it happen.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
That would be so hellish on the teams, though.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

They could do it at a neighborhood short track somewhere close to where the next weekend's race is.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
You could run the midweek short track instead of the next weekend at Kansatuckyagoland

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

CactusWeasle posted:

You could run the midweek short track instead of the next weekend at Kansatuckyagoland

I mean that would be ideal but we all know with nascar owning half the tracks and trying to buy the rest it ain't happening.

SPiTZ
Aug 9, 2004
Big news for us in the Milwaukee area, ARCA Midwest Tour Super Late Models has scheduled the first oval race since 2015 on the Milwaukee Mile, and the first stock car race here since the 2010 truck race. The last events were Andretti-promoted Indycar races that ended up not panning out financially. Before that, the promoters failed to pay IndyCar and NASCAR in 2009 and of course NASCAR took the Nationwide series to Road America the following year.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/motor/2018/11/30/racing-returning-milwaukee-mile-oval-june-2019/2165365002/

The track is starting to show signs of not being kept up very well, it's about time they scheduled something. They just use it as a parking lot during the state fair.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Now that would be a candidate for a mid-week race, based off location.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Boomer The Cannon posted:

Now that would be a candidate for a mid-week race, based off location.

Agreed, I'd gladly go.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/SamanthaBusch/status/1068582515764539392

Jesus. Didn't they just announce they were pregnant on Twitter, too? :(

SPiTZ posted:

Big news for us in the Milwaukee area, ARCA Midwest Tour Super Late Models has scheduled the first oval race since 2015 on the Milwaukee Mile, and the first stock car race here since the 2010 truck race. The last events were Andretti-promoted Indycar races that ended up not panning out financially. Before that, the promoters failed to pay IndyCar and NASCAR in 2009 and of course NASCAR took the Nationwide series to Road America the following year.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/motor/2018/11/30/racing-returning-milwaukee-mile-oval-june-2019/2165365002/

The track is starting to show signs of not being kept up very well, it's about time they scheduled something. They just use it as a parking lot during the state fair.

Tracks with two dates in 2019 that maybe shouldn't have them in 2020: LVMS, Texas, Dover, Kansas, Michigan, Pocono.

Ovals which could replace them: Nashville (Fairgrounds), Memphis, Eldora, Milwaukee, Iowa, Gateway. Road courses should also be in play but I don't want NASCAR to go all-in with them if they blow up the schedule in 2020 because, at some point, the novelty wears off; IndyCar has too many road courses as-is.

In any event, replacing any of the above with road courses or short tracks is going to take some serious "for the greater good" thinking on the part of SMI and ISC and loving :lol: if they're going to take money from their own mouths. The only hope there MIGHT be if SMI follows through with bringing racing back to Nashville.

Outlaw Mailman
Jul 1, 2007
Two kinds of crazy
Thursday night race at Iowa, Saturday night race half hour down the road at Knoxville.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

At least Kyle's kids can't drive.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

That's terrible news and all, but does she really need to go to twitter to post that?! I mean how much attention does she need? It's a private matter; keep it that way.

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

Nit Wit Dog poo poo posted:

That's terrible news and all, but does she really need to go to twitter to post that?! I mean how much attention does she need? It's a private matter; keep it that way.

Because pregnancy loss is horribly stigmatized and women who suffer these losses are treated like poo poo, to put it lightly "aren't you over this yet" etc, so it's actually a good thing to discuss pregnancy loss and babies born still. Yes, it's uncomfortable, but forcing women (and men also) to mourn entirely in private is pretty goddamned monstrous.

Show a little empathy.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is

Nit Wit Dog poo poo posted:

I guess perhaps given they are a rather public couple it might have been best to just put it straight out there rather than have rumours and media start asking.

quote:

Because pregnancy loss is horribly stigmatized and women who suffer these losses are treated like poo poo, to put it lightly "aren't you over this yet" etc,

I'm sorry you live somewhere that it's apparently 1922

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
i mean most posters itt live in america

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Kurt Busch to Ganassi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

CBJSprague24 posted:

Kurt Busch to Ganassi.

That could be interesting. The #42 has been pretty good and McMurray had a few competitive seasons in the #1 car aside from last year. The #42 and the #9 were the only competitive Chevy's really so it'll be cool to watch what happens when another good driver gets into one.