Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 204 days!

temple posted:

guts and co are currently located in alfheim , land of the elves, connected to the world tree yggdrasil. if miura wanted the story to focus of buddhism, i'm sure he would do that instead of placing everything in a western setting

Or he could be recontextualizing familiar themes in a western setting, or drawing upon multiple sources of inspiration.

Frankly this argument is so shallow and lazy as to be a little insulting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Hodgepodge posted:

Or he could be recontextualizing familiar themes in a western setting, or drawing upon multiple sources of inspiration.

Frankly this argument is so shallow and lazy as to be a little insulting.

im sorry for offending you

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Its all a mish mash. There's no reason he can't be borrowing visuals and ideas from western lore and still basing the Godhand's goal on buddhism.
I also want to know what the Norse stuff adds in terms of themes.

Plus a lot of the norse stuff might come second hand through exposure to jrpgs, etc. Japanese games are full of it.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 204 days!

temple posted:

im sorry for offending you

I was kind of cranky and needed to get some sleep, so no worries.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 204 days!

Ccs posted:

Its all a mish mash. There's no reason he can't be borrowing visuals and ideas from western lore and still basing the Godhand's goal on buddhism.
I also want to know what the Norse stuff adds in terms of themes.

Plus a lot of the norse stuff might come second hand through exposure to jrpgs, etc. Japanese games are full of it.

Guts as Odin is fairly on-point, since Odin was very much about struggling to find a way out of a fated doom and a way to win an unwinnable battle. However, Odin was primarily a leader, and sacrificed his eye and crucified himself for knowledge, whereas Guts is reluctantly a leader and relies primarily on strength.

Guts' preference for huge swords has roots in the zanbato, which commonly appears in fiction as a pastiche with the eku or wooden oar. Its significance is that it is a commoner's weapon, but while the real wooden oar was, well, a wooden oar, used instead of an expensive steel naginata, the fictionalized versions are impressive steel weapons which require immense strength and training to use. Basically, they're ganbare in weapon form. This is almost always contrasted with the elegant skill produced by the privileged upbringing of the samurai, who appears as a rival and/or enemy, although in this case Griffith's elegance is the product of destiny rather than social status.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Sep 13, 2018

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Hodgepodge posted:

Guts as Odin is fairly on-point, since Odin was very much about struggling to find a way out of a fated doom and a way to win an unwinnable battle. However, Odin was primarily a leader, and sacrificed his eye and crucified himself for knowledge, whereas Guts is reluctantly a leader and relies primarily on strength.

Guts' preference for huge swords has roots in the zanbato, which commonly appears in fiction as a pastiche with the eku or wooden oar. Its significance is that it is a commoner's weapon, but while the real wooden oar was, well, a wooden oar, used instead of an expensive steel naginata, the fictionalized versions are impressive steel weapons which require immense strength and training to use. Basically, they're ganbare in weapon form. This is almost always contrasted with the elegant skill produced by the privileged upbringing of the samurai, who appears as a rival and/or enemy, although in this case Griffith's elegance is the product of destiny rather than social status.

The Eclipse as an equivalent to Odin’s divine torment does bring in some interestingly disturbing subtext, though - when he let his eye be gouged out so he could get closer to Griffith and Casca, why did he do it? Did Miura just replace a lust for knowledge with a lust for violence as our Odin-figure’s core drive, or does this psychosexual hellhole go even deeper than we might have thought?

I should note that while Norse mythology is certainly an influence, Buddhism is more familiar to and more culturally ingrained in a Japanese audience than Scandinavian paganism, so there’s reasonable odds on sone of it leaking in much like how Western works tend to filter, say, Greek mythology through a Christian lens.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Is the Millennium Falcon arc primarily Nordic or Buddhist? What’s the inspiration there?

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
What if Guts mortally wounds Griffith, and Behi falls into his hands-it's his-and Ubik says he can use it to make a Sacrifice to restore himself to full power and kill Guts. Griffith says he wants to sacrifice Casca, or Charlotte, or Locus, but everyone knows he doesn't care about any of them. The only thing he cares about is his kingdom. Would he sacrifice that? Or would he be tragged into the skeleton-nado like the Count?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Billzasilver posted:

Is the Millennium Falcon arc primarily Nordic or Buddhist? What’s the inspiration there?

it doesn't need to be an either/or thing

like here's Miura talking about some of his influences and favorites

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGLtPxJdfAU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfQAviQGtQ8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXlI1_9H0Ro
or the whole thing in text form: http://www.thespectrum.net/berserk_info_creator.shtml

he mentions Guin Saga and Go Nagai, but also Rutger Hauer, Highlander, Excalibur, and Conan the Barbarian

a lot of this conversation includes things that came out after Berserk but tl;dr guy loving loves American pop culture, Hollywood fantasy and sci-fi in particular, calls Star Wars his favorite movie, and describes Berserk as "strongly influenced by Western culture"

the impression i get from all of this is that he's mainly drawing on other fantasy fiction, which of course is largely grounded in Tolkien who in turn is basically trying to Catholicize Norse paganism to varying degrees of success

and of course Go Nagai is a fantastic example of a Japanese author applying Buddhist sensibilities to a Western religion and mythos (to great effect I might add) so, really, it's all in there

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Sep 13, 2018

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Re-issue, with bonus accs, of the Berserker armour Guts that was previously exclusive to the volume 37 special edition is up to preorder

http://www.goodsmile.info/en/product/7600/figma+Guts+Berserker+Armor+ver+Repaint+Skull+Edition.html

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.
Dark Horse is giving the manga the deluxe treatment. Hardcover, three volumes to a book, 7" by 10" formatting. Front cover mock up looks pretty choice. First deluxe volume is set to drop February 27th of next year.

The Grunbeld light novel is also getting a Dark Horse release.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2018/09/19-1/dark-horse-announces-berserk-deluxe-and-berserk-the-flame-dragon-knight

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
....Is it right-to-left? Because I had to splurge on some special collector's edition of Ghost in the Shell because the Dark Horse releases put it in left-to-right.

Also what color is Grunbeld's supposed to be? I always picture his human form armor being purple, because it makes me think of Nidoking.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

My Cuck Dad posted:

Dark Horse is giving the manga the deluxe treatment. Hardcover, three volumes to a book, 7" by 10" formatting. Front cover mock up looks pretty choice. First deluxe volume is set to drop February 27th of next year.

The Grunbeld light novel is also getting a Dark Horse release.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2018/09/19-1/dark-horse-announces-berserk-deluxe-and-berserk-the-flame-dragon-knight

My wallet, fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

....Is it right-to-left? Because I had to splurge on some special collector's edition of Ghost in the Shell because the Dark Horse releases put it in left-to-right.

Also what color is Grunbeld's supposed to be? I always picture his human form armor being purple, because it makes me think of Nidoking.

Silver armour, red hair, red cloak, red-tinged eyes. Do a GIS and Miura’s coloured drawings should be up top.

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

No word yet, but Berserk has been published in the traditional right-to-left ever since it got picked up by Dark Horse. I'd be surprised if they decided to change it, the fan rage would be monumental.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I hope they take this opportunity to fix some of the typesetting

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

U-DO Burger posted:

I hope they take this opportunity to fix some of the typesetting
The brand should bleed. (For the children's / popup book version.)

Edit: Oh fark, please tell me someone has Berserk brand cookie cutters.

PhantomOfTheCopier fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Sep 20, 2018

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Definitely not rebuying the series in that format but for never volumes I don't own the physical copies for it'd be cool.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Not exactly Berserk-related but the Guidebook from one of March Lion's volumes got translated/scanned and

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Yay I'm glad folks noticed!! I scanned both those when the 3 gatsu guidebook came out but we only now got around to actually putting scanlations of it up

E: i have the original, un-typeset scans, I'll link them later if u want em

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I keep my ear to the ground for any new March Lion scan news, esp around this time of the year. Your work is most appreciated either way.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://twitter.com/ComicBookNOW/status/1063932484512043010?s=19

This would be cool. Castlevania was good and the art was rad.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, but the problem is it'll probably be really expensive to go full hand drawn and I don't really want a Berserk that meanders until it has a cool ending. That's not much of a improvement over 2016, but then again, with who creator already gives the rights to, Castlevania guy probably couldn't do much worse than what we've had.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

If Wit Studio can pull off the Vinland Saga adaption i’d love for them to take a crack at Berserk.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I'd want Adi Shankar to produce a live-action Berserk before an animated one. There's not really any reason why Berserk has to be animated as long as whoever's in charge knows what they're doing, and the genre is hot enough at the moment that finding funding wouldn't be an ordeal.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
I'm also weary of animation for Berserk in general unless its like some A list studio that comes down heavy and hard with good poo poo nonstop. Berserk's kind of been in a bad spot in a while for anything not manga and I just want some hard assurances against absolute crap.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Like keep in mind Adi Shankar put his name on the nerd map by producing the 2012 Judge Dredd movie with Karl Urban. If we could get a live-action Berserk with that kind of quality and fidelity to the source I'd cum rainbows.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
As long as they bring back Susumu Hirasawa.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ak_jATqoRc

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Henry Cavill as Guts.

[walks forward blankly, awkwardly swigs potion]

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Henry Cavill as Guts.

[walks forward blankly, awkwardly swigs potion]

Dwayne Johnson used to be my pick, but honestly, his whole general vibe wouldn't really work unless he played way against type and dropped the Rock shtick entirely. Guts doesn't exactly have a fun personality so much as he has a loving scary one.

My picks would probably be Tom Hardy or Jason Momoa, leaning in favor of the latter. Momoa doesn't have a lot of acting range, but Guts is basically smack in the middle of the range he does have.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
I recall hearing that DJ refuses to do R-rated movies. I think we can all agree that any Berserk adaptation would have to be a hard R.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

bloom posted:

I recall hearing that DJ refuses to do R-rated movies. I think we can all agree that any Berserk adaptation would have to be a hard R.

Agreed, and that's sort of the problem with DJ in a nutshell: even if he was willing, he can't do characters like Guts, because it's just way the gently caress out of his wheelhouse. Dude's a really, really ripped family comedian more than he's an action star.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

bloom posted:

He did Doom and Pain and Gain, more recently. I'm not entirely sure about that.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The Rock can do action star just fine. What he can’t do is tragedy. Contrast his barbarian swordsman movie to Arnold Schwarzenegger’s. They’re both lots of fun and Scorpion King obviously takes loads of influence from Conan even down to specific scenes, but the tone (and the rating) is totally different.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
Tom Hiddleston as Griffith?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Prime Arnold as Guts.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Like keep in mind Adi Shankar put his name on the nerd map by producing the 2012 Judge Dredd movie with Karl Urban. If we could get a live-action Berserk with that kind of quality and fidelity to the source I'd cum rainbows.

Image of Arnold and Dillon shaking hands, but it's Judge Dredd and Guts (metal hand)

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Just cast the loving sword and if anyone can "just swing it over their head, they'll be ready to take on anybody", including megalomaniac demon spawn that need routine haircuts.

Edit: Also very good timing for what do I hear as I'm heading for the bus: I'm waiting so long... I'm waiting so long.... Clearly the original anime fully understood what was going on... for the next fifty years.

PhantomOfTheCopier fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Nov 21, 2018

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
I will loving make nanomachinese just to create a liquid metal Berserk Armor that molds around his face in real time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Prime Arnold as Guts.

It should really be prime Rutger Hauer. Guts facial expressions are basically his...