Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Going all in on the blue/orange is probably the worst thing about it, right after the salt lamp crystal aesthetic

The crystal fingers around the edge just look so bad. The rest is pretty decent tbh, but the fingers are such a big feature it's hard to see past them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Cerv posted:

things that are bad: making disparaging 'robophobic' comments.
things that. are ok: causing thousands of robots to blow themselves up.

I loved the mention of robophobia.

Brought the big finish Robophobia to mind which is probably up in my top 5 big finish.
(was odd watching Robots of Death for the first time after being very familiar with robophobia)

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
I loved this episode until I sat down and thought about it afterward

the political stuff's been... pretty thoroughly covered and I can't contribute much more in that regard, but

okay so the system can send one (1) robot man in to try and choke out Charlie while the rest of the gang is present to defend him, why couldn't it do that when Charlie was by himself, maybe even like... sending way more robots to do it. System clearly has no issue murdering somebody, just kill Charlie the second he's busy unclogging a shitter somewhere

Charlie helping Graham get a map of the facility feels real weird in retrospect. If my ultimate plan to build a robot army in the basement is juuust about to come to fruition, helping this mysterious stranger learn the entire layout of the building might be a bad idea?

Why is there liquification goo in the basement--did Charlie teleport a big ol' tub of it down there and no one noticed?--why doesn't it liquify the ankle monitors, why are no efforts made to dispose of the ankle monitors after the rest of the evidence is so meticulously disposed of, why do the ankle monitors read as online still

"the system has a conscience," she says, like two minutes after the system straight up murdered someone

with exploding bubble wrap, which the system could get access to independent of Charlie and without him even being aware of it until it was too late, why could the robots not just kill Charl--wait I already did that one, why didn't the two robots with access to the exploding bubble wrap and freedom to teleport around without Charlie's awareness not just like, take that poo poo to the Doctor (whom the system can locate at all times), I know if a robot walked up to me and handed me bubble wrap for no reason I'd start asking questions

I know it's a cheesy sci-fi show and there's gonna be a plot hole here and there, but like this whole episode is just kind of haphazardly stapled together

edit: The interrogation room they put the girl in had chairs, right? Am I remembering that right? Why the hell did it have chairs? Why the hell was there an interrogation room? They said nobody goes down there, is this Charlie's secret break room or

Lunatic Sledge fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Nov 20, 2018

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Lunatic Sledge posted:

Charlie helping Graham get a map of the facility feels real weird in retrospect. If my ultimate plan to build a robot army in the basement is juuust about to come to fruition, helping this mysterious stranger learn the entire layout of the building might be a bad idea?

Charlie had no reason to think Graham was anything but what he seemed, a lovely older man in over his head who wanted some help figuring out how to get around - plus maybe he could give him some advice on how to flirt with Kira! The fact he didn't see that Graham was putting on a bit of an act is nicely ironic, since Charlie was doing the same thing and relying on everybody else thinking he was what he thought Graham was: a nobody.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Jerusalem posted:

Charlie had no reason to think Graham was anything but what he seemed, a lovely older man in over his head who wanted some help figuring out how to get around - plus maybe he could give him some advice on how to flirt with Kira! The fact he didn't see that Graham was putting on a bit of an act is nicely ironic, since Charlie was doing the same thing and relying on everybody else thinking he was what he thought Graham was: a nobody.

I kind of liked the slight panic at Graham's little joke about "Being able to pick up on the most delicate of social cues" I like to think that was partially a concern like "poo poo does he suspect?" until Graham admitted he was joking about his crush.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Thinking about it this is yet another episode where the Doctor lets villains go unpunished.

sunnyboy posted:

Well, I'll give them props for doing one thing right in this episode. Given the number of times the phrase "Kerblam runs on PEOPLE", I was fully expecting a Matrix type reveal. You know - people in some skiffy type hamster wheel in the basement.

Of course, given the ending we did get, I'm kinda sorry we didn't get hamster wheels.

They sure do love killing random nice characters for no reason other than "because". (you can write the last two stories with alternate endings that don't involve killing off characters, just sayin...).

The other thing that's REALLY been bothering me in the past few episodes is Jodie's damned goofy expressions - especially the peering with the teeth one. It's been bugging me because I KNOW I've seen it somewhere before...

And in the last (Pakistan) episode, it hit me. The new Doctor is Earnest P. Whorrel, "Hey Vern, know what I mean?".

I know it's supposed to be all quirky and forgetful and new-ish, but it's wearing thin. At least from now on every time she dons that stupid goofy espression, I'm just going to tell the TV, "Hey Vern, know what I mean?". Sure thing, Earnest. Now go save Christmas. (with your special helper elms too!).

I don’t know who that is.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jim Varney would have been a great companion to the Doctor if you think about it.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I thought the people goo was going to be some kind of fuel to solve the power problem for a bit

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Lunatic Sledge posted:

okay so the system can send one (1) robot man in to try and choke out Charlie while the rest of the gang is present to defend him, why couldn't it do that when Charlie was by himself, maybe even like... sending way more robots to do it. System clearly has no issue murdering somebody, just kill Charlie the second he's busy unclogging a shitter somewhere

That's...hey, yeah, why didn't the system just kill Charlie?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
No Doctor Who Xmas Special :argh:

[e]: It's a joke video :ssh:
VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Nov 20, 2018

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
We know. It's been discussed for a while, and frankly, considering we've kinda touched on every single Christmas theme, it's not a bad idea.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I think the Doctor has only ever done New Year's twice, anyway - once during the Tennant specials and once with the TV movie.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
If a postman robot can teleport into the Tardis with a bomb, why can't the Cybermen.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Nov 20, 2018

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Because that'd threaten to be interesting.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

happyhippy posted:

If a postman robot can teleport into the Tardis with a bomb, why can't the Cybermen.

The Doctor has the settings on to allow for packages, Time Lord message cubes, and psychic paper messages from scared children.

sunnyboy
May 10, 2011

Hawkmen Diiiiiiiiiiiiiiive!

marktheando posted:

Thinking about it this is yet another episode where the Doctor lets villains go unpunished.

I don’t know who that is.

Just wait for the usual Christmas roundup of terrible X-Mas movies. Somewhere in the endless stream of Santa-Clause movies you should get "Earnest Saves Christmas".

It's really hard to watch, but worth it if only for the "helper elms" running gag. IMO. YYMV.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It's just Ernest, everyone, he's not an adjective.

I will go to my grave claiming that Ernest Goes to Jail is a work of art, and it's a crying shame Jim Varney died of lung cancer before he could somehow be in an episode of Doctor Who as a carnival barker or something.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
You know combining the New Years theme with the ongoing political discussion, how about that Obama speech that was going to save the world's economy?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

thrawn527 posted:

That's...hey, yeah, why didn't the system just kill Charlie?

It tried. Those darn humans got in the way!

Poor planning on its part really, everybody knows that Julie Hesmondhalgh will decapitate anything that gets within 3 feet of her given half the chance.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Give me Salamander or give me death. He's currently making his push for world domination. I would even take an in-episode onscreen chyron about him meeting with Trump.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Earnest is the best thing of the 90s and no one can ever prove otherwise

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Bicyclops posted:

The Doctor has the settings on to allow for packages, Time Lord message cubes, and psychic paper messages from scared children.

So what's the Tardis' postal address then.
And to deliver to a time machine, you need time travel detection to detect where to go and time teleportation to it.
Meaning the robots were Tardises themselves.
So the Kerblam company is just as powerful as Gallifrey.
Just without the heavy robes and headgear.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Nah, the Doctor just said,"Deliver it to me here in the TARDIS" and then promptly forgot about it, and then a few centuries later the TARDIS happened to pass near enough by at roughly the same time as the original order that the poor Kerblam! Man in the teleport beam locked on and got dragged along into the vortex along with it trying to complete the order!

Or if you wanna be MORE nerdy about it, Kerblam! was founded by the Gods of Ragnarok, so Twirly and the like are made with the same tech as the Advertising Bot from The Greatest Show in the Galaxy :)

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

I still laugh when I think about 11 wandering about in the console one night inbetween distinct adventures with Clara and River and deciding,"I'll get the Kerblam! Man to bring me a new Fez!" and then complete forgetting about it for roughly 800 years.

Same.

happyhippy posted:

And to deliver to a time machine, you need time travel detection to detect where to go and time teleportation to it.

happyhippy posted:

The TARDIS knew that the Doctor had ordered the package so let it in. As for how the package knew where the TARDIS was, I assume they just happened to be moving through the same part of space that they were however many centuries ago when the Doctor placed the order.

That would be a nice little scene at some point actually, a standard shot of the TARDIS moving through space/time but we see another one go zooming past in the opposite direction.

Inside a companion asks "What was that?" and the Doc mentions it's them as well. Maybe from the past, or perhaps the future. Generally best to try and stay out of each others way.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

happyhippy posted:

I imagine since it took two full regenerations for the package to arrive, this is the first time The Doctor has been back to this time period since placing the order.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

CommonShore posted:

The Sun Makers

A few issues with The Sun Makers:
1. Bob Holmes wrote it as an anti-taxation screed. Making it aimed at a Company and not a government makes it OK, ish, but I support taxation, so I have mixed feelings about that.
2. It's unclear how many of the revolutionaries get gunned down. Surprisingly few based on what we see. Evidently the Company cut corners with the Inner Retinue.
3. So the Company has been defeated, and maybe the humans will return to a revitalized Earth (though evidence suggests they will mess it up again later, environment-wise). Who is going to lead them? Cordo? Mandrel, Mr. "do it or die" in the undercity? The ex-Company employee? We know Earth still has money and corporations in the future, so the revolution doesn't seem to have produced meaningful change.

(Fake edit: plus what ewe2 said on the last page.)

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Charlie: "I'm blowing things up so more humans get hired!"
<later>
Judy: "We're hiring more humans."

What a weird ending.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Jerusalem posted:

It tried. Those darn humans got in the way!

Poor planning on its part really, everybody knows that Julie Hesmondhalgh will decapitate anything that gets within 3 feet of her given half the chance.

It sent the "HELP" thing previously and knew very well what was going on so????

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Narsham posted:

So the Company has been defeated, and maybe the humans will return to a revitalized Earth (though evidence suggests they will mess it up again later, environment-wise). Who is going to lead them?

Expanded Universe Says:

her, off Sarah Jane Adventures.

Terry Grunthouse
Apr 9, 2007

I AM GOING TO EAT YOU LOOK MY TEETH ARE REALLY GOOD EATERS
thinking about twelve's console room, I went back and did some screencaps

this one is before he put more round things on the walls

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Absolutely my favorite non-TV movie Tardis. They really nailed it. Thirteen's is suuuuuuuuch a step down from that.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Ya, it's the best one ever.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Terry Grunthouse posted:

this one is before he put more round things on the walls

I’m not a fan of this console room, but I do think it looked better during 11’s tenure when the rotor and other lights were more blue/green than orange.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

What a garbage loving episode lmao

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Now to be fair, maybe the reason 12's console room looks go good is because Moffat spent an entire year's worth of budget on building it? Then got upset when the BBC found out and he had to pretend he'd commissioned it for the series and not a redecoration of his own living room.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

The final version of 11/12's console room is the absolute best.

What companions have seen the most variations? Sarah-Jane?

edit: Or maybe Clara.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Edward Mass posted:

Charlie: "I'm blowing things up so more humans get hired!"
<later>
Judy: "We're hiring more humans."

What a weird ending.

lol, yeah, the episode goes out of the way to create a labor rights villain who's all "Nothing is too extreme for my cause! I'm a revolutionary, violence be damned!" with a ludicrous, ultra-violent, murdering-innocents plan, but ultimately, the "big" societal changes of them maybe hiring more humans to work menial jobs and never see their families that we're meant to see as a happy ending are... actually a direct result of Charlie's terrorism and not the Doctor's intervention?

This episode would be like if the if the Red Eye Ood had gathered a psychic explosive to erase humanity, and the Doctor had given a big speech about how it wasn't the Ood corporation that was the problem, it was the way people were using the Ood corporation, and then, after the Doctor put a stop to the Ood rebellion, the Hair Tonic Guy had said "I'm starting my own company, where the Ood 'servants' you buy get to keep their tiny hand-brains, as long as they don't sing with them."

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Same destination, but the Doctor got fewer people killed getting there

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Terry Grunthouse posted:

Man, that thing’s gorgeous. Have some of my pics from my set visit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Azhais posted:

Same destination, but the Doctor got fewer people killed getting there

And the way the Odd got one back on the guy was noted as being monumentally hosed.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Nov 21, 2018