Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

god drat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

A good judge godamn

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

A good judge godamn

LIBERAL JUDICIAL ACTIVISM RUN AMOK

But seriously that's some drat good lawyering. I'm sure the GOP Senate candidate whats-her-face will try to use it to her advantage.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

mlmp08 posted:

This is the concern trolling of someone who doesn't know anything, actively avoids looking it up, and unless someone does their homework for them, they'll just assume that Pelosi didn't get poo poo done.

No for real I'd love to hear that Pelosi actually got stuff done other than worthless centrist Dem garbage

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Facial recognition links weak chins with white supremacy. Garth Ennis vindicated.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Same judge who struck down Mississippi's same sex marriage ban before Obergefell.

Same judge who struck down Mississippi's "religious freedom to discriminate only against LGBT people" (reversed by the 5th Circuit, SCOTUS denied cert.)

Both opinions (especially the religious right to discriminate against LGBT folks one) are full of his dry wit. here's that opinion

joat mon fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Nov 21, 2018

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Internet Wizard posted:

No for real I'd love to hear that Pelosi actually got stuff done other than worthless centrist Dem garbage

Fine. I have done a little bit of work for you. Now go google it and read poo poo.

quote:

Three current Democratic House members had opposed the Affordable Care Act when it first passed. Twelve Democratic House members represent districts that Donald Trump won. Yet none voted for repeal. The “uncovered dynamic,” Hohmann suggested, was Nancy Pelosi’s skill at keeping her party in line.

She’s been keeping it in line for more than a decade. In 2005, George W. Bush launched his second presidential term with an aggressive push to partially privatize Social Security. For nine months, Republicans demanded that Democrats admit the retirement system was in crisis and offer their own program to change it. Pelosi refused. Democratic members of Congress hosted more than 1,000 town-hall meetings to rally opposition to privatization. That fall, Republicans backed down, and Bush’s second term never recovered.

In 2009, Pelosi persuaded deficit-wary Blue Dog Democrats to back Barack Obama’s stimulus package, and it passed without a single Republican vote. The following year, when Rahm Emanuel, then the White House chief of staff, suggested scaling back health-care reform after the Democrats’ surprise Senate loss in Massachusetts, Pelosi insisted that Obama maintain his goal of universal coverage. She enraged her pro-choice allies by allowing a vote on an amendment prohibiting women insured through the law’s health-care exchanges from receiving government-subsidized abortions. But that gave antiabortion Democrats cover to support the bill, which passed with nary a Republican vote.

And even after being relegated to minority leader when Republicans took the House in 2010, she kept winning legislative fights. In the summer of 2015, the American Israel Public Affairs Committee and the Republican Party launched a mammoth lobbying campaign to kill Obama’s nuclear agreement with Iran. Pelosi quickly secured the votes to prevent Republicans from overturning the agreement, thus checkmating the deal’s foes.

The majority of democrats opposing her right now are not the new further-left democrats. They are incumbent conservative/centrist democrats! That's the bulk of her opposition!

Pressuring Pelosi to move left, as AOC and Fudge have done lately, is a more effective tactic than starting a huge political fight with someone who will likely win anyway (Pelosi).

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

mlmp08 posted:

Fine. I have done a little bit of work for you. Now go google it and read poo poo.

The majority of democrats opposing her right now are not the new further-left democrats. They are incumbent conservative/centrist democrats! That's the bulk of her opposition!

Pressuring Pelosi to move left, as AOC and Fudge have done lately, is a more effective tactic than starting a huge political fight with someone who will likely win anyway (Pelosi).

It's also widely unpopular to push for a speaker other than Pelosi at this point.

https://twitter.com/wbz/status/1064723280999981056

Ten bucks says Moulton gets primaried by a woman in 2020

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
https://twitter.com/ClaraJeffery/status/1064901807397265408?s=19

tfw the head Nazi in charge goes to India and sticks his dick into the caste system hornet nest on the right side of things, probably by accident

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Internet Wizard posted:

People keep saying Pelosi's an effective speaker, but like, what did she even get done? The most charitable answer is Obamacare but by the time it passed it was just a vigorous handjob for insurance companies rather than an effective healthcare bill.

Three things can simultaneously be true:

1. The ACA was an utter failure at addressing the root cause of the expense of healthcare in America, has done relatively little to bring down costs, and needs to be either supplemented or replaced entirely by new legislation.

2. The ACA did make a number of sorely needed reforms to healthcare insurance and coverage, including forcing companies to allow people with pre-existing conditions to enroll and stay on their insurance plans, ensuring that insurance plans had to adhere to basic standards (As many existing plans were effectively outright scams), expanding Medicaid to provide healthcare to millions of those in poverty, and attaching subsidies to plans to make insurance cheaper to those who didn't qualify for Medicaid.

3. The reforms the ACA did make were the most expansive in American legislative history since Lyndon Johnson's Great Society, and were made at the utter wrath of the healthcare industry, the Republican Party, and many Democrats.

Pelosi had the extremely difficult job of threading the needle to get any healthcare reform bill passed at all, particularly when the Ted Kennedy died and the Democrats lost their supermajority in the Senate. Not only did she do that, but the bill the House passed was actually more expansive than the Senate bill which eventually became law. As insufficient as it was, the bill was a legitimate legislative triumph (Which says more about the dire state of American politics and the healthcare industry than it does about Nancy Pelosi).

In addition, Pelosi got through the House a massive economic stimulus, banking regulation and reform, a cap on carbon emissions*, and a number of other bills in what was probably one of the most productive House sessions in decades. Not all of it passed the Senate, but a good chunk of it did—and that was because of Pelosi's ability to get the votes she needed when she needed them. When her speakership ended after the 2010 elections, she held her caucus together with an iron fist and refused to allow Democrats to support Republican positions such as repealing the healthcare law. which in turn exposed the weak control Boehnor and Ryan had over their own caucuses.

tl;dr she's been a very effective legislative leader for the Democratic Party and there isn't really anyone close to her left or right who could replace her nearly as effectively. I posted an article a few pages back that goes into it further if you want a deeper look.

*It should be noted that Nancy Pelosi is probably one of the very few people in power in Washington who has actually tried to make addressing climate change a priority.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

EBB posted:

loving hell shots fired

Jesus, that's not shots. He disemboweled them.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

mlmp08 posted:

This is the concern trolling of someone who doesn't know anything, actively avoids looking it up, and unless someone does their homework for them, they'll just assume that Pelosi didn't get poo poo done.

Alternately, this is a discussion thread and that is a common question.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Godholio posted:

Alternately, this is a discussion thread and that is a common question.

When you ask a question about someone, then state as fact an insult on that person without backing it up, I tend question one's motives!

Maybe I'm overly skeptical, but saying one doesn't know about a thing, then immediately stating that you do, in fact, know about a thing and spouting off a half-truth is pretty odd.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
The greatest liberal victory of the Obama administration was courtesy of the Roberts Court and was in fact not a middle-of-the-road healthcare bill that did absolutely nothing to address the central problem, cost. This failure is why none of the people involved should have jobs let alone a leadership position.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Proud Christian Mom posted:

The greatest liberal victory of the Obama administration was courtesy of the Roberts Court and was in fact not a middle-of-the-road healthcare bill that did absolutely nothing to address the central problem, cost. This failure is why none of the people involved should have jobs let alone a leadership position.

"Abolish congress" is a method, I guess. Not one I'll take seriously, but sure.

That said, abolish the Senate and make Congress tied to the population of the least populous state, which gets 1 rep.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

I agree with the idea of the Senate ensuring that every state has a say and urban centers don’t dominate the rest of the country through sheer weight of numbers, but the execution certainly leaves a lot to be desired.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Internet Wizard posted:

I agree with the idea of the Senate ensuring that every state has a say and urban centers don’t dominate the rest of the country through sheer weight of numbers, but the execution certainly leaves a lot to be desired.

We should get rid of 10 states. Stupid tribalism.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Proud Christian Mom posted:

The healthcare law passed by five votes in the House and a single vote in the Senate. It's a gross failure in many respects but it was also by every stretch of the imagination the best that could have been done at that time with that Congress, and the Medicaid expansion alone has helped a ton of people who would have otherwise died at the mercy of insurance companies. Trying to use it to argue against Pelosi is disingenuous as all hell.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Automatic voter registration, mandatory federal oversight of congressional district appropriation, mandatory early voting options, election day as a federal paid holiday, repeal of citizens united, and codification of ethics violations into law would go a long way. Though federal oversight of the districts is probably a constitutional issue.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Vasudus posted:

Automatic voter registration, mandatory federal oversight of congressional district appropriation, mandatory early voting options, election day as a federal paid holiday, repeal of citizens united, and codification of ethics violations into law would go a long way. Though federal oversight of the districts is probably a constitutional issue.

🙏

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Vasudus posted:

repeal citizens united

Good lord how many decisions would be challenged or reversed by that?

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Vasudus posted:

The Dems are already working on a Voting & Campaign omnibus bill as the first legislation of the next Congress that should hopefully address most of those and not be some meaningless watered down garbage, not that the Senate will bother to pick any of it up. Will be a good opportunity to see how much sway the Left and Minority caucuses have within the party.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

https://twitter.com/GrittyNHL/status/1064958505151578112

Amazing

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
gritty is a national treasure

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

gritty fuckin rules

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Acebuckeye13 posted:

The healthcare law passed by five votes in the House and a single vote in the Senate. It's a gross failure in many respects but it was also by every stretch of the imagination the best that could have been done at that time with that Congress, and the Medicaid expansion alone has helped a ton of people who would have otherwise died at the mercy of insurance companies. Trying to use it to argue against Pelosi is disingenuous as all hell.

its not an indictment of Pelosi alone but it is an indictment of the entire leadership of the Democratic party

like if you can't sell universal healthcare and ya know, not dying to your base then you suck balls as a politician

PookBear fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Nov 21, 2018

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Gritty is the only redeeming thing about Philly

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

orange juche posted:

Gritty is the only redeeming thing about Philly

There was the Ben Franklin cosplay guy who ventured into the proud boy playpen and after he got back out he was like "those young men are obsessed with masturbation"

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

gritty fuckin rules

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

its not an indictment of Pelosi alone but it is an indictment of the entire leadership of the Democratic party

I suppose my contention is that's supposing that, if you'd replaced Obama, Pelosi, and Reid, the Dems could have come out with a stronger bill, and I'm just not sure that's true. Say what you will about, for instance, Obama's willingness to give away the public option (Which, it should be noted, Pelosi was against until the alternative became not passing the bill at all), given the composition of the Democratic party of the time (Particularly in the Senate) and the timing of Ted Kennedy's death, I'm not sure a much stronger bill was truly possible at the time. And maybe that's an indictment of the Democratic party of the time as a whole, but that's also getting far beyond Pelosi's personal abilities and her qualifications for the speakership—it's not her fault, after all, that the party was still filled with Blue Dogs and center-right assholes.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Nov 21, 2018

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

like if you can't sell universal healthcare and ya know, not dying to your base then you suck balls as a politician

I mean the Democratic party has been trying to sell America on universal healthcare for seven decades. While the Democratic leadership has often been filled with idiots and assholes, the bigger problem is really that America is filled with idiots and assholes, most of whom would cut their own arm off if it meant getting to chop a hand off a neighbor.

e: who would then refuse to vote for anyone who promised to spend money on their bleeding stump because communism

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
It's fascinating to consider all the ways that the country is stratifying and balkanizing itself.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

After Ted Kennedy died, they lost the supermajority. There was no way they were going to sell UHC to overcome the filibuster threshold. It had nothing to do with selling UHC at that point and everything to do with the rules of congress.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

psydude posted:

After Ted Kennedy died, they lost the supermajority. There was no way they were going to sell UHC to overcome the filibuster threshold. It had nothing to do with selling UHC at that point and everything to do with the rules of congress.

Also even if the tumor hadn't killed Ted, there were still a ton of conservative shitheads in the caucus like Lieberman and many others who were barely brought on to the bill as it was. Obama could have been the manifestation of LBJ reborn and he still would have had trouble getting a much better bill through that Congress. Not to say it might have been impossible (Though single payer UHC probably would have been), but it was an extremely near thing as it was.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Also even if the tumor hadn't killed Ted, there were still a ton of conservative shitheads in the caucus like Lieberman and many others who were barely brought on to the bill as it was. Obama could have been the manifestation of LBJ reborn and he still would have had trouble getting a much better bill through that Congress. Not to say it might have been impossible (Though single payer UHC probably would have been), but it was an extremely near thing as it was.

the fact that a decent amount of democrats are conservative shitheads and there was never a push by leadership to find progressive candidates to primary them is why I think they need to eventually all go.

The democratic leadership at the national level has been as a whole a giant failure since god drat LBJ

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I don't even understand the debate. Of course the Democrats would be better off with a mid-40s telegenic, intelligent, experienced and progressive black/hispanic/asian woman at the helm. But I don't see any of them challenging Pelosi. I don't even know of anybody like that who theoretically could challenge Pelosi. And if even the new darling of the left, AOC, supports Pelosi and accurately describes most of her detractors in the caucus coming from Pelosi's right, then I can't see a scenario where the Democrats are better off if she fails to become Speaker again.

And for all the faults of the ACA, it did expand medicaid to millions of poor people, notwithstanding extreme GOP opposition. And it helps people with pre-existing conditions. Of course, the law could have been better, but they lost their Senate supermajority. And even before Kennedy died, that supermajority included Democrat-in-name-only Joe Lieberman for example, who wouldn't vote for any of our progressive dream bills (no public option with him, no ACA passed without him). The public option has become a lot more popular in the last decade, and it's definitely true that the passing of Obamacare shifted the Overton window on healthcare to the left.

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Nov 21, 2018

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

the fact that a decent amount of democrats are conservative shitheads and there was never a push by leadership to find progressive candidates to primary them is why I think they need to eventually all go.

The democratic leadership at the national level has been as a whole a giant failure since god drat LBJ

The party did primary Lieberman in 2006. He then ran as an independent and won anyway.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Nov 21, 2018

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Torrannor posted:

I don't even understand the debate. Of course the Democrats would be better off with a mid-40s telegenic, intelligent, experienced and progressive black/hispanic/asian woman at the helm. But I don't see any of them challenging Pelosi. I don't even know of anybody like that who theoretically could challenge Pelosi. And if even the new darling of the left, AOC, supports Pelosi and accurately describes most of her detractors in the caucus coming from Pelosi's right, then I can't see a scenario where the Democrats are better off if she fails to become Speaker again.

And for all the faults of the ACA, it did expand medicaid to millions of poor people, notwithstanding extreme GOP opposition. And it helps people with pre-existing conditions. Of course, the law could have been better, but they lost their Senate supermajority. And even before Kennedy died, that supermajority included Democrat-in-name-only Joe Lieberman for example, who wouldn't vote for any of our progressive dream bills (no public option with him, no ACA passed without him). The public option has become a lot more popular in the last decade, and it's definitely true that the passing of Obamacare shifted the Overton window on healthcare to the left.

Well, I don't understand any of that. I know that AOC is very good, based entirely on the things she says on Twitter. I say we get rid of all those "career" politicians and install someone with no political experience to shake it up a little. Drain that swamp!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

yo gently caress liebermann forever

Topic title

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

KirbyKhan posted:

Wierd Twitter is gonna be the left's answer to Lockerroom Talk. If the right covers for their man saying pussygrabber Imma cover AOC for whatever.

I'm just happy the left is finally fielding somebody who is willing to clap back. I get tired hearing about the high road and respectability politics when all I wanna see is social media beef advocating Medicare4All.

"congresswoman I have here a copy of a tweet where you called Senator Cruz a 'corncob' can you explain your vulgar language?"