Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Cessna posted:

There's a documentary on a Chrome Dome crash called Buzz One Four on Amazon video; it's pretty good.

quote:

McGill, based on his SAC experience, blames the aircrew failures on the use of dexedrine to combat fatigue on the 24-hour flight preceding the accident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Nenonen posted:

That is no assault gun! :crossarms:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hou0lU8WMgo

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

He also points out the fact that the earlier B-52s tended to have problems with their tail ripping off when they encountered turbulence.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Acebuckeye13 posted:

American production during World War II was really something else, and it's always staggering to read about it. There was a real, honest desire by US manufacturers to build as much as they could as well as they could as fast as they could, and the results were nothing short of astounding.

Are the any good books on the cooperation in US industry during that time? I work in a technical field and the idea of that much good faith sharing and not trying to undercut each other is fascinating.

I scanned the book list but didn't see anything.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
WW2 Data

On to the Bureau of Aeronautics Missiles! Which of the four missiles on deck could be mounted by carrier aircraft? Which missile looks suspiciously like a Fi-103? What's the range of a Gorgon IIC Ship-to-Surface missile? All that and more at the blog!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Nebakenezzer posted:

I've been working on a new Amerika bombers post, and while mobile V-2 launchers were impossible to interdict, those ULTRA MISSILE FORTRESSES the Nazis tried building are hilarious. The Army (partial funders of the V-2) was for them, the actual missile dudes were against them, predicting correctly mobile launchers were key, and so the decision went to literally Hitler, who decided for the Army, saying even if they didn't work, every bomb dropped on them was a bomb that would never fall on Germany itself. The Allies, having learned their lesson with the St. Nazire U-boat pen, and with their very good late war intel, could actually attack the bunkers at the most advantageous time, when the concrete had been poured but was still soft.

e: just to amplify Barracuda's point, a V-2 took about 30 trucks and a bunch of engineers to launch. (Possibly Jobbo_Fett knows more accurate numbers)

Nope, I know very little of the logistics behind V-1 and V-2 bombs.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Nope, I know very little of the logistics behind V-1 and V-2 bombs.

I don't know much about the V-1, but the V-2 was built at the nightmare factory, minus consumables, then these missiles were shipped elsewhere, where they were loaded with explosive and Potassium permanganate, the fuel for the fuel pumps, before being shipped to the few operational units. There were a few V-2 launching trains, but most were launched with the road crew: about 30 trucks including the dewer full of liquid oxygen, which had to be shipped from the generating plant and loaded and used by the rocket in a pretty precise time-frame, as liquid oxygen evaporates above -110 C regardless of pressure. I got sidetracked researching how the V-2's guidance system worked, and making a, by modern standards, an inaccurate ballistic missile using 1940s electrotech is just astonishing. I guess you are getting into that stuff in the new post!

TL;DR You start by saying "huh, how did they get that to work if they had none of the stuff in electronics we take for granted today" and you end with " 'e's a witch! BURN HER"

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Tias posted:

Reading about Cpt. Bobbie Browns medal of Honour citation, fighting Germans in Aachen 1944, and it says he took out several pillboxes using "pole charges". Were pole mines standard issue in the US Army, and if so what were their names?

Anyone knows (probably Jobbo_Fett :v: ), I'd appreciate hearing it.

Can't say I've come across that improvisation so far, and I'm now quite curious considering the Japanese pole charges were suicide weapons. Either he used a longer pole or the method of employment is different.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Atten: Mr. Bewbies

If you want that model kit of the USS Montana, it's now only $400 in 1/350

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
first post is up!
https://forums.sufficientvelocity.com/threads/fallout-britain.51618/page-3#post-11657597

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Hesco bastions have seen a lot of use overseas (and I guess over here for flood control) in Operation BUD but wasn't there a type of one that was plastic and could be filled with water or am I thinking of something else. I'm only asking because I know i've seen them (on tv shows...) and they're big cube shaped containers but they might just be used for holding water. I'm only asking because once upon a time I was reading Wikipedia on something (probably the bastion) and they included stats on how resistant it was to certain things, including RPGs. They might have removed it after an editing dispute or something.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

FrangibleCover posted:

Before this discussion about the Merkava ambulance goes any further, has anyone ever seen one with protected ICRC markings on it? Otherwise it's a hypothetical war crime in the same way that you could hypothetically paint a protected symbol on any other AFV and not really worth discussing.

I can't even find any photos of a regular one equipped with the loadout, while I can find ones of M113 and M4 Sherman ambulances used by the IDF, so I doubt it's a common thing or even exists beyond something that had testing/standardization done because some Merkava crews dropped their ammo loads to extract wounded soldiers during it's initial usage in 1982 and they figured it'd be a good idea just to standardize a setup for it, or it was possibly used as a stopgap due to the slow introduction of the Namer APC, which has it's own dedicated medical version.

This "Jewish war crime ambulances :byodood:" poo poo is ludicrous anyways because even if the kits were in use, it would clearly be the same situation as using a regular Bradley or BMP or whatever to evac wounded.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Can't say I've come across that improvisation so far, and I'm now quite curious considering the Japanese pole charges were suicide weapons. Either he used a longer pole or the method of employment is different.

US pole charges were basically a bundle of TNT on a stick so they could be jammed right up into a gun port or door by infantry assaulting bunkers. The main complex feature appears to be that the piece of wood the TNT was on was attached with a bolt to the pole so it'd be able to swivel and could be pressed flat against a surface. I gather there wasn't a standardized design and they were fabricated as-needed by engineer units. The final two images are from before D-Day according to the French site I found them on, and the charges thus have sections of flotation material attached to them.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Hesco bastions have seen a lot of use overseas (and I guess over here for flood control) in Operation BUD but wasn't there a type of one that was plastic and could be filled with water or am I thinking of something else. I'm only asking because I know i've seen them (on tv shows...) and they're big cube shaped containers but they might just be used for holding water. I'm only asking because once upon a time I was reading Wikipedia on something (probably the bastion) and they included stats on how resistant it was to certain things, including RPGs. They might have removed it after an editing dispute or something.

These things maybe? About the only similar thing I could think of would be temporary jersey barriers that are filled with water but those aren't anywhere near the size of a HESCO wall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9m4rKRZ9kxc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJvjqQwMT4U

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I'm probably just conflating a water storage in a cube shape for easy stacking with a hesco.

LightRailTycoon
Mar 24, 2017

Milo and POTUS posted:

I'm probably just conflating a water storage in a cube shape for easy stacking with a hesco.

https://www.uline.com/Product/Detai...cB&gclsrc=aw.ds IBC Tank?

LightRailTycoon fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Nov 20, 2018

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Milo and POTUS posted:

A cubic water container seems like it would be far less stable than a barrel, for a given thickness of container wall, but I am not a scientist so perhaps that is nonsense.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
The main problem with cubic water containers is that when they get hit by even the slightest fragment, they will leak empty and be useless. To counter that, they should be lined with 1 cm steel plate. You'd also want to be able to move them around easily because a water tank is so heavy, so let's put it on tracks and give it an engine. Whoops, there's no room for engine and fuel unless we take out the water, so let's do that and call it just plain 'tank'. There is still extra space inside the tank so we might as well put some guys in it rather than behind it and add weaponry to the tank so it could actively defend itself.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Nebakenezzer posted:

Atten: Mr. Bewbies

If you want that model kit of the USS Montana, it's now only $400 in 1/350

bad rear end

gonna spend 2 years creating a museum quality piece that will then get accidentally smashed by idiot kid's soccer ball

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Mr Enderby posted:

A cubic water container seems like it would be far less stable than a barrel, for a given thickness of container wall, but I am not a scientist so perhaps that is nonsense.

While this is true, cubic containers are fairly volumetrically efficient when placed in rectangular spaces (eg TEUs, box trailers, etc)

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Mr Enderby posted:

Steel frame. No pallet needed for forklifting, available in 640-1250 litre sizes (170-330 gallons), much more space-efficient than 50-gallon drums.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I have successfully derailed the thread again, this time concerning the stackability of glorified water bottles.

e: I'm not proud. I really was just curious. I could have swore there was a wikipedia reference about how good *something* was against all sorts of stuff including rpgs. It was probably the bastions though

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

Nenonen posted:

The main problem with cubic water containers is that when they get hit by even the slightest fragment, they will leak empty and be useless. To counter that, they should be lined with 1 cm steel plate. You'd also want to be able to move them around easily because a water tank is so heavy, so let's put it on tracks and give it an engine. Whoops, there's no room for engine and fuel unless we take out the water, so let's do that and call it just plain 'tank'. There is still extra space inside the tank so we might as well put some guys in it rather than behind it and add weaponry to the tank so it could actively defend itself.
Surely a cylindrical "barrel" shape would have the advantage of sloped armor?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

ulmont posted:

Steel frame. No pallet needed for forklifting, available in 640-1250 litre sizes (170-330 gallons), much more space-efficient than 50-gallon drums.

Is this not in fact called a gaylord?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Nebakenezzer posted:

Is this not in fact called a gaylord?

No, this is an "Intermediate Bulk Container", "IBC", or "tote". A gaylord is similar, but a gaylord is usually made of cardboard or plastic without the steel frame.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Speaking of cool books have any of you seen this?

https://books.google.com/books?id=NeYDDQAAQBAJ

The American Arsenal: The World War II Official Standard Ordnance Catalogue

It was written to fill in the gaps of the various service manuals and have a listing of the majority of equipment available to American forces.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Speaking of cool books have any of you seen this?

https://books.google.com/books?id=NeYDDQAAQBAJ

The American Arsenal: The World War II Official Standard Ordnance Catalogue

It was written to fill in the gaps of the various service manuals and have a listing of the majority of equipment available to American forces.

I will in 3 weeks.

Thanks.

Jerk.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I will in 3 weeks.

Thanks.

Jerk.

My work here is done...:smug:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Are the any good books on the cooperation in US industry during that time? I work in a technical field and the idea of that much good faith sharing and not trying to undercut each other is fascinating.

I scanned the book list but didn't see anything.

One book I've read is Arsenal of Democracy, which tells the story of Ford's construction of the Willow Run Bomber Plant. It's probably a bit more narrowly focused then you're looking for, but it's a neat look at how one company in particular turned what was basically an empty field into one of the most productive factories of the war in less than a year, and serves as something of a microcosm of how American industry operated and cooperated with the federal government.

Looking around on Amazon, I also found Arsenal of Democracy (popular title) :The American Automobile Industry in World War II which looks to be a somewhat higher-level analysis of how the auto industry in general shifted from cars to tanks. There's also Freedom's Forge: How American Business Produced Victory in World War II, which looks to be pretty much what you're looking for—with the caveat that the author works for a neoconservative think tank, and going by the preview the book is heavily skewed towards an ideologically-driven "Capitalism is awesome, unions and regulations are for poopheads" narrative, though having not read the book I can't say that for sure.

Hope that helps! I'll probably check out that second Arsenal of Democracy book myself, since it looks neat, and I'll give a hearty recommendation for the first book—I own it myself, and having volunteered at the air museum currently based out of Willow Run it's a really good look at local (for me) history.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Extremely good post from politoons

QuoProQuid posted:

Some fun illustrations from pre-Meiji Japan, taken from a Twitter thread here. Copying below for readability instead of posting a dozen Twitter links.

"George Washington (with bow and arrow) pictured alongside the Goddess of America."

"Christopher Columbus (seated at center) reporting his discovery of America to Queen Isabella of Spain."

"Now it's the American Revolution. Here is George Washington defending his wife "Carol" from a British official named "Asura" (same characters as the Buddhist deity)"

"Washington's "second-in-command" John Adams battling an enormous snake."

"Here is Washington and his wife "Carol" meeting an extremely youthful Benjamin Franklin, who has an impressive squat."

"Here's the incredibly jacked Benjamin Franklin firing a cannon that he holds in his bare hands, while John Adams directs him where to fire."

"George Washington straight-up punching a tiger."

"Best buds John Adams and Ben Franklin must have had a falling out, because John Adams fires an arrow at Ben and then rides away like a cowardly little bitch. Of course Ben Franklin is a total badass, so he just stands there and lets the arrow fly by without even flinching."

During a calmer moment, John Adams is just chillin' in the countryside, having a quiet picnic with his elderly mother...

"But then! While John Adams is too obsessed with the food and drink, a huge snake comes along and *eats* his mom! Maybe the snake was a child of that other snake John Adams killed, or maybe it was sent by Ben Franklin as part of their feud?"

"Here is Washington leading his army from behind in a carriage. The American flag has no stars, only stripes, and the author seems very impressed that the carriage has not one but TWO horses. "

"Meanwhile, John Adams wants to get revenge on the snake that ate his Mom, so he goes to ask a magical mountain fairy for help! "

"The mountain fairy does Adams a solid, and summons a gigantic eagle! "

"Together, John Adams and the eagle kill the enormous snake that ate his Mom. The power of teamwork!!!"

Aaand finally a source:

https://twitter.com/nick_kapur/status/1062840690764378112

This is basically the pre-meiji version of that one Washington youtube

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

zoux posted:

Be The Person Nineteenth-Century Japan Thinks You Are

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

zoux posted:

This was posted earlier and seeing it again just makes me more frustrated there's no translation

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

zoux posted:

Washington, Washington: six feet twenty fuckin killing for fun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7iVsdRbhnc

Clarence
May 3, 2012

13th KRRC War Diary, 19th November 1918 posted:

The Brigade formed up for inspection and after marching past twice the Divisional Commander addressed the Officers of the Brigade and complimented the Brigade and the 60th Rifles in particular on the excellent way they marched past.

The following officers Joined the Battalion:-
2/Lt. E.A.KRUGER
2/Lt. J.M.KYLES
2/Lt. A.W.SHOPLAND M.M.
2/Lt. J.E.C.CAMPBELL
2/Lt. H.R. FENNER
2/Lt. B.DONNESMITH
2/Lt. F.L.CASSERLY

13th KRRC War Diary, 20th November 1918 posted:

The day was spent in completing the classification of men for educational purposes. Considerable difficulty is being experienced in this as a large number of men seem to have no definite plans for their future.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Lol at joining the battalion a week after the war ended

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Encylopedia Astronautica has a good article on the Pye Wacket; http://www.astronautix.com/p/pyewacket.html

Fun Fact: It's possible the missile might have been given it's name by Jimmy Stewart.

Fun Fact 2: There is speculation the design might have eventually evolved into this black project;

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Any secret santas going on for Milhist stuff?

Also, to whoever suggested Death on the Don, it came in today so now I've gotta read that at some point too :negative:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I don't know if this is true about V-2 development:

quote:

Walter Riedel was a talented engineer but his lack of academic qualifications led to conflicts with the graduate engineers on the rocket team. Confusingly, he was replaced by Walther Riedel.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Nebakenezzer posted:

I don't know if this is true about V-2 development:

Did the second Riedel have glasses and a mustache?

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Crossposting because some of y'all don't read the TFR Cold War thread, in which it was relevant so I had to find and post it again:

Photo by my father in Vietnam ~1970-71, I scanned and adjusted it from the negative because his print was underexposed as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Did the second Riedel have glasses and a mustache?

He was the evil one

^^^^ what's that, a chinook and a huey? As bad as I am at differentiating tanks, I'm somehow even worse at aircraft