Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Also remember that the Taiping rebellion kicked off like 5 other ethnic rebellions one of which led to the creation of the triads

so its even more interesting than a massive civil war kicked off by the younger brother of jesus christ would seem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
There's a reason I've been saying for years that a Taiping rebellion Total War game would own bones, it would be like Fall of the Samurai only now with even more variety, since you have the Taiping led by Hong "Jesus' literal brother" Xiuquan, European interventions, Western soldiers of fortune and more ethnic rebellions than you can shake a stick at.

Don't get me wrong I also love the Three Kingdoms setting and am excited for that but the Taiping Rebellion is such a weird footnote that never gets mentioned in the west. the boxer rebellion gets more attention and that is comparatively tiny.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Don Gato posted:

There's a reason I've been saying for years that a Taiping rebellion Total War game would own bones, it would be like Fall of the Samurai only now with even more variety, since you have the Taiping led by Hong "Jesus' literal brother" Xiuquan, European interventions, Western soldiers of fortune and more ethnic rebellions than you can shake a stick at.

Don't get me wrong I also love the Three Kingdoms setting and am excited for that but the Taiping Rebellion is such a weird footnote that never gets mentioned in the west. the boxer rebellion gets more attention and that is comparatively tiny.

I think the main thing was because the boxer rebellion was specifically about Europeans having too much influence in China so of course it's the one Europeans remember.

The funny thing is a Taiping Rebellion game would at least be fairly realistic to the scale of the actual war compared to Fall of the Samurai. The actual Boshin war had 8,000 deaths, total. That's like, 5 battles in-game.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I think the main thing was because the boxer rebellion was specifically about Europeans having too much influence in China so of course it's the one Europeans remember.

Also there are a lot of boxers in the west, but very few actual Christians.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Don Gato posted:

It might be an expansion like any of the various rome ones or rise of the samurai or something

How do I stop the Baktrian nobles from killing my wife every few turns? My influence is at a solid 65%, where it started the campaign at

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qa-Sp1fwHmA

https://www.totalwar.com/blog/diplomacy-in-total-war-three-kingdoms-part-1

Okay, this actually is sounding like a real improvement? I guess how good it is in practice depends on well the AI manages the new systems, it does look like they took some notes from the much better Paradox diplomacy.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Diplomacy has been a weak point of the series so it’s good they’re finally doing some thing with it. I worry that the AI will still suffer from the “you’ve crushed me in a war I started but I refuse to surrender to you because I hate you for all the military actions you’ve taken against me” problem though. I mean they already evaluate your relative strength when you demand things from them but often the huge negative opinion from being at war ends up outweighing the power differential and causing them to flat out reject any offer to end a war that they’re badly losing.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
Apparently everybody got sent a -50% coupon for WHII on steam so you can have mine if you like.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

uhh ill take one. PM me

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Just checked and I have one as well so the same offer applies.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!

Hunt11 posted:

Just checked and I have one as well so the same offer applies.
I wouldn't mind, could you PM me?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

ZearothK posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qa-Sp1fwHmA

https://www.totalwar.com/blog/diplomacy-in-total-war-three-kingdoms-part-1

Okay, this actually is sounding like a real improvement? I guess how good it is in practice depends on well the AI manages the new systems, it does look like they took some notes from the much better Paradox diplomacy.

I've been pretty cool on what I've seen of 3K so far, but this is some really good stuff. Long overdue, but good.

ed. It's a shame to see trade agreements made manual again, but I guess it's necessary if they're redoing diplomacy.

Kazzah fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Nov 17, 2018

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
I was pretty indiferent about Total War 3K but lately I've been rewatching the 2010 Romance of the Three Kingdoms show and now I'm pumped. Bring it CA.

Edit: I laughed when I saw Cai Mao with the Honorable and Noble tags.

Angry Lobster fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Nov 17, 2018

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I wonder if they'll fix the total war classic of make vassal -> vassal invades 10 turns alter

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Nov 17, 2018

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

underage at the vape shop posted:

I wonder if they'll fix thbe total war classic of make vassal -> vassal invades 10 turns alter

Vassals do work, at least since Rome 2, but they only stick if the relations aren't too poor. So in factions that are not too averse to yours and someone you didn't prosecute a long war on.

The real big problem are vassals having wars declared on them from your allies, which as far as I know can only be prevented with mods. That said, even then vassals are pretty anemic in implementation, while the 3K stuff seems like a huge step up on making vassal relations interesting to engage in.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Imo they could've made the politics so much better in rome 2. If I vassalise someone, I should get to purge their ruling party and install a puppet that actually likes me and won't declare war as soon as they don't cop a penalty. Or use my agents to gently caress with their parties to get one that has a Likes Me bonus or something.

Also hope they come up with another way of making the game hard without enemy armies cheating and attacking multiple settlements in one go and then spawning a bunch of pikes in my territory after I nearly wipe them out

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Nov 17, 2018

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Total warhams 2 50% token here too, pm me

Not the Messiah
Jan 7, 2018
Buglord
Empire, Napoleon and Medieval 2 have been 'rereleased' as Definitive Versions on Steam. Saw the email and thought it was a remaster, but it's just a bundle with all the DLC included. If you own any of the games you automatically get upgraded to all the DLC for free which is nice (would be nicer if I knew this was coming before I finally got the peninsular campaign a month or two back :colbert:)

Also the naming for them is now in line with the rest of the modern TW games :hist101:

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Not the Messiah posted:

Also the naming for them is now in line with the rest of the modern TW games :hist101:

Yes, but now it has introduced a different problem. They are all Definitive Edition, Rome 2 is Emperor Edition. Shogun, Attila and the Warhammers now need a <something> edition to spare my OCD.

One step ahead, another step back.

Not the Messiah
Jan 7, 2018
Buglord
Haha true enough. They're all grouped together at least, so it's a start.

I'm sure there's a way to edit the display of names in the library though? I could swear I remember reading a way to do it when I was trying to make Ultimate Doom and Doom 2 display together. Editing some file unless I'm just totally making that up.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Trying to decide if I should pull the trigger on Warhammer II with my -50% coupon or wait and see if it goes below that during the various black friday sales.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Is rise of the republic good? It looks good.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Is rise of the republic good? It looks good.

honestly its my favorite subcampaign.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Agean90 posted:

honestly its my favorite subcampaign.

Looks really fun, how is it for length? I'm guessing unit diversity is very low but I loved shogun 2 so :shrug:

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Medieval II, Empire, and Napoleon have all been converted to game+DLC 'Definitive Edition' bundles on Steam, and anyone who already had any of the three now gets all of that game's DLCs as well.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Looks really fun, how is it for length? I'm guessing unit diversity is very low but I loved shogun 2 so :shrug:

I rarely if ever play campaigns to completion so idk. Unit diversity is about the same as the main campaign, that's just Rome 2. That said the samnites, Etruscans, and nurgalics add some flavor that's not in vanilla and the number mercenaries and recruitable tribal units increases the unit count beyond what faction rosters show.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Eh no the main campaign is way way more diverse, half the major unit types are missing. The building and unit trees are a lot more limited.

It is good though, although it’s not condensed for the sake of amazing balance like RotS or something.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Koramei posted:

Eh no the main campaign is way way more diverse, half the major unit types are missing. The building and unit trees are a lot more limited.

It is good though, although it’s not condensed for the sake of amazing balance like RotS or something.

?? Like what. Only missing type I can think of are super heavy cavalry

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
half the siege and ships, elephants, pikes, horse archers too. Also just the more elite style units; like there's only a single choice or two for most unit types for a lot of the factions outside of the Romans, in a sense it isn't real variety but you do end up capping off your unit trees way quicker than in the main campaign.

It works well for what it is but there is a ton more variety in the main campaign.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Any hot tips for France in the peninsular campaign? I've only just started and lost a few settlements, the English haven't shown up yet, but I have 3 decent armies. What are building/military priorities?

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Vlex posted:

Any hot tips for France in the peninsular campaign? I've only just started and lost a few settlements, the English haven't shown up yet, but I have 3 decent armies. What are building/military priorities?

Depending on the difficulty level you're playing on you may need to lower taxes temporarily to keep the populace from rebelling. The British will eventually start chipping away at you from the South/West but they're typically kind of slow about that. The main thing you want to do is eliminate your other fronts so you can focus on the South and West where the primary enemy forces are going to be coming from. Eliminate the roaming gangs of guerrillas and then send your armies to take Valencia.

Whatever you do, don't let your enemy disrupt your main port near Barcelona or your trade nodes, you will take such a huge drop in income you won't be able to afford your armies.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Oh nice, I got all of my total war games updated to the Definitive Editions. I can't wait to play the Warpath campaign for Empire!

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

Oh nice, I got all of my total war games updated to the Definitive Editions. I can't wait to play the Warpath campaign for Empire!

I have terrible news

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

WH2 is a lot of fun. Started a flying frog campaign "just to check if it works", next thing I know I've finished first ritual and it's 2am and I should go to sleep, but Clan Skryre and Blue Vipers need purging, and why the hell those knife-eared assholes enter my jungles, and their emo cousins hang around my borders too much.. :frogsiren:

ZoninSilver
May 30, 2011
Not that I saw it discussed much here, but looks like Arena is getting the plug pulled
https://twitter.com/totalwararena/status/1065546563102130176

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Class Warcraft posted:

Depending on the difficulty level you're playing on you may need to lower taxes temporarily to keep the populace from rebelling. The British will eventually start chipping away at you from the South/West but they're typically kind of slow about that. The main thing you want to do is eliminate your other fronts so you can focus on the South and West where the primary enemy forces are going to be coming from. Eliminate the roaming gangs of guerrillas and then send your armies to take Valencia.

Whatever you do, don't let your enemy disrupt your main port near Barcelona or your trade nodes, you will take such a huge drop in income you won't be able to afford your armies.

I forgot how pants-on-head retarded AI was in older TW games and played on Normal/Normal...so wrapped up the Peninsular War about 3 years before it actually ended. Uninstalled Napoleon. That was fun!

Now back to being a vampire pirate.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

ZoninSilver posted:

Not that I saw it discussed much here, but looks like Arena is getting the plug pulled
https://twitter.com/totalwararena/status/1065546563102130176

Couldn't even remember what that was and had to google. OH WELL

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
A shame, was hoping they'd do a medieval/gun power version with updates but now it dead. Oh well.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Yeah I feel like by having all the factions be exactly the same as the ones that are in Rome 2 (and fleshed out way more there) it kinda missed the point. Give me Rome vs Mongols, or Samurai vs Napoleonic line or something. Now the flaw that kept it from being successful was probably completely unrelated to that, but it'd definitely have kept me more interested dammit.

Anyway in a different sense I feel like this is actually incredibly good news; wasn't it around when Arena started to be a thing that they started completely skimping on the multiplayer in the main releases? Maybe we can actually get something like Shogun 2 again now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I remember Arena being a grindy mess, tbh. Not surprised it fell over.