Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Which book is this? I kind of want to read it and I've never read a 40k book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Sodomy Hussein posted:

They're not important because they're not supposed to be important, I see. This makes them a really attractive choice to do anything with or write anything about.

You could do a really interesting Tau-centric campaign if you let the PCs be the various client races investigating the Empire and slowly realizing how enormous the giant that the Tau have been poking actually is. A Rogue Trader / Extremely Radical Ordo Xenos Inquisitor showing the breadth of the Imperium to xenos would allow for a horrifying roadtrip kind of game.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

MonsterEnvy posted:

Kais the protagonist of Fire Warrior is now a legendary Tau Warrior nicknamed the Living Weapon. A recent novel revealed he was brought with the 4th expansion fleet Tau in statis. However his statis malfunctioned and as a result he was kept aware and awake, rather then asleep like normal for like more than a hundred years.
He spent that time running battle simulations in his head about how to kill anyone he encounters, downloading all the information the Tau Empire had about it's tech and its enemies and their combat abilities. As part of a Tau deal with the Dark Angels Kais is sent to eliminate one of their successor chapters. And he utterly decimates them until the chapter master orders a orbital strike on his own monastery they are fighting in, one of the few things Kais did not account for. However Kais survives the blast and the Tau recover him.

Except that that's bullshit?

quote:

Captain Ardias then ordered that Dolumar IV should be destroyed by Exterminatus to prevent the taint of Chaos from spreading. Kais ended up in a Tau mental hospital suffering from an extremely severe case of post-traumatic stress disorder, though it seemed possible that he might recover. His ultimate fate remains unknown.

<...>

Some fans speculated that he later became Shas'o Vior'la Kais, a character mentioned in the Tau codex. This is a mistake: Kais' full name is Shas'la T'au Kais which means he was born on the planet T'au, not Vior'la.

It is also believed that he may be the commander (Shas'o T'au Kais) leading the assault on Kronus in Dawn of War: Dark Crusade, as this Kais is also from T'au. However, "Kais", which means "skillful", is a common name in Tau society (for instance, O'Shovah's full name is "Shas'O Vior'la Shovah Kais Montyr").

E: Never mind, the fluff always finds ways to be more stupid, even if the book probably doesn't include the Firewarrior Kais. I hate this only a little less than I hate the Beast series:
http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/War_of_Secrets_(Novel)

God drat you, Phil Kelly.

JcDent fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Nov 21, 2018

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Tau fandom is like, fractally embarrassing. Even by the standards of hams fandom.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Kind of weird how the Tau have the same "get more names as you get better" as the Custodes.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I had an idea for a 40k roleplaying campaign that I'd like to share with the thread.

The PCs are a motley collection of experts brought together for a series of elaborate heists to steal various rare, valuable but rather peculiar items by an anonymous patron.

(The patron is Trazyn The Infinite,working through proxies).

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Yvonmukluk posted:

I had an idea for a 40k roleplaying campaign that I'd like to share with the thread.

The PCs are a motley collection of experts brought together for a series of elaborate heists to steal various rare, valuable but rather peculiar items by an anonymous patron.

Gets a Purity Seal of Approval by me, run with it.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.

Yvonmukluk posted:

MORTALS, THE SERVO-DRILL. GO AND GET IT.

Sorry, don't know why the idea of Trayzn as Bain amuses me so, but there you are.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Yvonmukluk posted:

Sold. What do we steal first?

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Radio Free Kobold posted:

Ollanius Pius' cross pendant that has become part of an heirloom or symbol of office for a planetary governor

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Yvonmukluk posted:

I've run more or less this game before. It was fun.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!

Radio Free Kobold posted:

the idea. We already did.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Something neat for the WHFRPG players:
https://www.facebook.com/Warzone40k/posts/2190387687872486

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

For my RT campaign I wanted borrow the gods Storm, Salt, and Stone from Sunless Sea, but I wanted to rename them to something more appropriate to 40k. Any suggestions?

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

SardonicTyrant posted:

For my RT campaign I wanted borrow the gods Storm, Salt, and Stone from Sunless Sea, but I wanted to rename them to something more appropriate to 40k. Any suggestions?

Warp, Void and Stone

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Song, sand, and steel?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
Quick question: Are there any items in Dark Heresy 2.0 or the other DH system books that boost charisma, charm, or any of the talking-related skills?

See, my character (Imagine Johnny Carson crossed with Troy McClure turned Inquisitor) is about to try and talk a rogue AI currently controlling a Grand Cruiser from before the Horus Heresy into willingly lobotomizing itself, and I figure I could use all the help I can get.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
I can't think of any, but you can definately get up to two Aid actions for +20 (total, +10 ea) from fellow PCs that have the same social skill you have.

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

There are pheromone generators in Black Crusade, but 1) they're bionic implants that replace your sweat glands and so kinda require a bit of dedication, 2) I don't think they actually turn off, so you might have to think of how to explain that one to random high-ranking people you aren't supposed to be seducing, and 3) they won't exactly work on an AI.

Fakeedit: They require a +20 Willpower test to use, so they're not always on.

Realedit: VVVVV They use incense because that is the proper devotional protocol with which to praise the machine-spirits as stated on page 317, paragraph 3 of How to Properly Turn a Plus-Headed Screw, vol I and furthermore

Beepity Boop fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Dec 4, 2018

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
You know, if it's an advanced enough AI system to be controlling an entire ship, it's reasonable for it have olfactory sensors to pick up chemical cues. Which can also be another communication channel. Which means you can do pheromone phreaking?

Edit
That would actually explain why the Techpriests use so much incense.

susan
Jan 14, 2013
Now that peeps are getting their hands on physical Wrath & Glory's, a rules thing to bring up now that I've played it a few games:

Does the damage feel, like, a little Rocket-Taggy to anyone else? I like the system a lot, but the actual damage feels a bit off. Like, I have Space Marine characters, and most things they come across are one-shotting them. Like, anything beefier than a standard Bolter fired by a semi-competent opponent stands a fair shot of cutting down a Marine in a single shot, and if it's taking out Marines in armor then needless to say the squishier characters *not* in Astartes Armor are getting it even worse. Sure, there's rolling to Soak damage, but that at best turns a one shot into a two shot.

Here's some *math*:
=Space Marine base stats, Toughness 4, Initiative... no minimum so let's also go 4 on it, same for Willpower lets choose 4, Tier 3, Astartes Armor Value 5.
=So we're looking at 10 effective Resistance, 3 Defense, 7 HP, 7 Shock, 4 Soak.
=Let's look at Boltguns (10+1ED, 0AP, Brutal, 2 Salvo) and Heavy Bolt Guns (12+2ED, -1AP, 3 Salvo, Brutal). Brutal is a funny ability; most ED average to 0.66 additional damage when rolled, but Brutal makes it a flat average 1 ED = 1 Extra Damage.
=A Chaos Space Marine is an average Tier 3 baddie, so we'll be using their stats for attacks. Speaking of attacks, they're going to be throwing 13 dice for Ranged Attacks *base*. We'll assume Medium Range for most of their weapons, so no bonus/penalty (and frankly with most weapons you're going to be fighting Medium or you're going to be fighting Close, so this is skewing *low*). We will expend ammo for Salvos on the shots and performing an Aim, because gently caress it. So that means Bolters shoot at 16 Dice, Heavy Bolters at 17. With these numbers, your character *will* be hit, even with cover, and probably with enough 2-3 6's to shift damage. I'll say 3, because that's closer to the average expected on both with that many dice. Because those are both Brutal weapons, that makes each of these extra dice 1 Damage.
=Grand totay of all this is to say that a Chaos Marine shooting a Bolter does 14 Damage to another Marine, while a CSM shooting a Heavy Bolter does (effectively) 18. And this is with a lot of dice, very controlled averages that if anything are curved low (plenty of times I've rolled more than 3 6's shooting at a player with an elite Trooper). 14 damage half kills a Space Marine. 18 straight-up kills them. Soaking damage *might* buy one additional round, but that's kind of it.

So, yeah. Things feel a bit rocket taggy, and it's right out of the gate too. There's a Psyker in our party that's been KO'd every session, she's lost two arms and is covered in scars and while that's very 40k it's not especially fun for the player. So I guess I'm asking, is anyone else having these issues? And if so, what have you come up with?

I'm floating with a potential fix for the issue: Give characters (and most enemies) additional HP. Like, a flat +5 HP, or maybe doubling the Tier for HP instead of just adding it to HP, or something like that (still tweaking the idea). This would mean that the average Astartes would survive being hit by a Heavy Bolter *once*, which feels a bit more fun to me perhaps? Maybe add 2x Tier to HP *and* Shock, so we get a bit of a buffer on both ends? Kind of annoying for half (or possibly the whole!) party to be dropped by a CSM with a Heavy Bolter and a good roll in a single round (assuming they Multi Attack at the whole party, spending the Ammo to make it an easy spray and pray), so maybe this feels better? Any thoughts, or other suggestions on what to do?

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

susan posted:

Speaking of attacks, they're going to be throwing 13 dice for Ranged Attacks *base*.

I quote the book, emphasis mine: "All of the threat’s signature skills are listed as a skill pool, which already includes the relevant attribute." That's Page 408. A CSM should roll 8 dice for BS.

Not that rocket tag isn't kind of an issue, but it bends in both directions: either you one-shot it or you can't hurt it. Those of us doing PbP have found that weaker weapons like lasguns are simply useless against even average resilience values, and meanwhile plasma guns and meltas deal so much base damage that there's really no reason not to use them against everything if you can get them. Also, dual wielding is incredibly insane in terms of damage output: take two plasma pistols and you will basically one shot an enemy per round, even Elites and vehicles. I've personally already houseruled it to just be extra to-hit dice with a possibility of hitting with both weapons if you roll REALLY well.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Dachshundofdoom posted:

I quote the book, emphasis mine: "All of the threat’s signature skills are listed as a skill pool, which already includes the relevant attribute." That's Page 408. A CSM should roll 8 dice for BS.

Not that rocket tag isn't kind of an issue, but it bends in both directions: either you one-shot it or you can't hurt it. Those of us doing PbP have found that weaker weapons like lasguns are simply useless against even average resilience values, and meanwhile plasma guns and meltas deal so much base damage that there's really no reason not to use them against everything if you can get them. Also, dual wielding is incredibly insane in terms of damage output: take two plasma pistols and you will basically one shot an enemy per round, even Elites and vehicles. I've personally already houseruled it to just be extra to-hit dice with a possibility of hitting with both weapons if you roll REALLY well.

Jesus loving Christ, what is it with game designers and shooting that breaks their brains.

susan
Jan 14, 2013

Dachshundofdoom posted:

Ooooohhhhhhh.... Good to know....

Might still give some extra HP to my players, though. Even with 8 base dice, CSMs are just an aim, a half range, and a Salvo away from 13 dice, which is still a serious threat of a one-shot.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Yeah, there are definitely some math issues with the weapons, which lead to some pretty solid incentives for a set of 'must-have' equipment.

For one thing, everyone wants some form of Force Shield. Usually that means grabbing a Refractor when you ascend to T3, but the Ministorum Priest gets a Rosarius out of the gate. This serves two vital purposes: stopping Melta and Plasma weapons from utterly destroying you with the double whammy of 15/16 base damage and -3/-4 AP and, secondly, lets you soak mortal wounds. You'll still get chumped in a shot or two if you're dealing with half-way competent enemies with good weapons, but this gives you a fighting chance.

Second, everyone wants to pick up a Meltagun, Plasma Gun, or a pair of Plasma Pistols. Given the above constraint of a Force Shield, the Priest is the best candidate for dual-wielding. Melee people are going to get far more damage out of a Plasma Pistol than anything else they can rally short of a Force weapon in extremely high tier play. They also get the added benefit of, y'know, shooting people while they waste all their actions running into melee. An ascended SoB is a good fit for a Heavy Flamer, but that depends on how mob-heavy the campaign will be.

Past that, Uncanny Resilience + Dedicate is worth a look when you hit higher ranks, but most builds won't have room for it at first.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
I really want to like the Desperado but they seem godawful when compared to other tier 3 things or ascended tier 1s

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

They are. There are some real balance issues with archetypes. It doesn't look like they actually came up with a BP budget for each component, or if they did it's way off-base. The ability to take Stay The Course makes T1s and most T2s strictly superior for the points spent, since they'll end up with superior wargear at T3 (one of the aforementioned good guns, a refractor) and there are some really surprising choices made in terms of wargear on a few of the low-end careers.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Feel great for not supporting it with my money, tbh.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

JcDent posted:

same

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

like on one hand this is great because it took me 5 seconds to make a sheet for this, on the other hand i might as well play fate or FFG 40k with some of the weird parts of this. tryna salvage it but lmao

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Dachshundofdoom posted:

poo poo, really? Then the mobs in my game that have been shooting you guys should have an even smaller dice pool, which means the fact they can't damage any of you with autoguns is even more sad.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Werix posted:

poo poo, really? Then the mobs in my game that have been shooting you guys should have an even smaller dice pool, which means the fact they can't damage any of you with autoguns is even more sad.

JcDent posted:

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

I had a great time playing it at gencon and my group all seems to prefer it over FFG's system so it's money well spent in my opinion.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Clanpot Shake posted:

I had a great time playing it at gencon and my group all seems to prefer it over FFG's system so it's money well spent in my opinion.

lol you spent money on this shitshow of trash editing

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Werix posted:

They can still combine attacks and add 1/2 their mob size to the attack.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

PantsOptional posted:

They can still combine attacks and add 1/2 their mob size to the attack.

Yeah and they have, up to the tier 3 bonus limit. But I've been adding the BS and agility on top of it.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Viva Miriya posted:

lol you spent money on this shitshow of trash editing

Is it worse than FFG's games, though?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

MaliciousOnion posted:

Not from my experience. It's been a pretty good upgrade though quite different game.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

MaliciousOnion posted:

I don't know. Its consistently irritating how much we keep finding dumb and broken poo poo with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Ultimately I don't find it bad, it's fast to make characters, fast to play, and it does some clever things. On the other hand I feel that, RAW, melee weapons and abilities are underpowered compared to ranged, plasma and melta weapons need to be scaled back because base damage is more valuable than anything else, and there's just generally a lot of strange decisions and baffling mistakes in the rules. I've also been seeing some incredibly stupid "fixes" to minor bugs and total non-issues coming out of the devs while the real issues we've noticed go completely untouched.

It's not a waste of money but buyer beware if you demand a polished and well-planned experience. I know FFG didn't exactly deliver flawless products either, but I think they were better games overall.