Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

gamera009 posted:

Too bad you guys don’t climb closer to Boulder. But if you want to hit the canyon, I’m happy to guide.

I'm headed to Boulder in March to do some bouldering. How likely is it to snow, and even if it does, how much will that affect bouldering options?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I'm sitting here LMFAO pretty hard that Sudbury has a better, larger, and more modern climbing gym than the gross cramped places we've got in Vancouver. Training problems solved.

Thanks for the offer though Toronto goon, I'll hit you up if I come south.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
the bouldering gyms in/around vancouver are really good. not sure about other kinds of climbing though

crazycello
Jul 22, 2009
I was astounded how greasy everything felt with the humidity at The Hive. And it reminded me how lucky I am to have a super passionate setting team where I train. Good setting, a bit of a training area, and clean air make such a difference but it's rare to find a gym that hits 3/3.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Our gym is so dusty I can see the chalk in the air even on a non-busy day. I wish they'd do a deep clean or even bother to vacuum.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

cheese eats mouse posted:

Our gym is so dusty I can see the chalk in the air even on a non-busy day. I wish they'd do a deep clean or even bother to vacuum.

i exhaled sharply resting on a slabby route the other day with my face pressed into the wall and it was like someone set off a chalk bomb

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Verviticus posted:

the bouldering gyms in/around vancouver are really good. not sure about other kinds of climbing though

Hive North Shore is great, everything else is worn out, overcrowded, and reeks like feet.

The gym in downtown Victoria is absurdly better than anything in Vancouver, like wow.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
there’s a new gym in clover dale but yeah the hive on industrial sucks rear end

north shore hive rules

edit: one thing that they do there and downtown (which is way nicer) that i see a lot of places not do is colour code the climbs instead of using tape

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Nov 21, 2018

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

interrodactyl posted:

I'm headed to Boulder in March to do some bouldering. How likely is it to snow, and even if it does, how much will that affect bouldering options?

It could be 70 or it could snow. You could be fine or have a hell of a time. Nothing in the Alpine will be in. Shaded areas may have lots of snow.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
I'm going out to Red Rock Canyon in a few weeks with a buddy of mine who really only has a year or so of outdoor climbing under his belt. He's good on sport lead into the 10s, and can follow on trad. He wants to get on some big mulitpitch routes, but I'm wary of the short days and time loss to gear management every pitch.

I'm going to run him up solar slab to get a sense of timing, and birdland if that goes well. Any other suggestions? I did epinephrine with a skilled buddy last year and it took us all day, so I'm likely to skip that one this time unless we're unexpectedly flying up stuff. (And even then I'd start it a few hours before sunrise.)

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Anyone that’s owned Scarpa Instinct VS tell me how much they stretch? Ordered a half and a whole size down from the EU 40 I got today. Liked the fit but there was some dead space above my toes and a lot on the heel.

Also waiting on some Boostics and Vapors. Shipping has ground down to terribly slow now that shopping season is in swing.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Well, I “climbed” my first “10c” at the gym tonight, completely misread the crux, burned out and popped off before I could right it. Got back on the wall and tried it again from the other direction and eventually muddled through it to the top, but was way too pumped. Really want to go back and do it cleanly now, it felt pretty achievable now that I have a better idea of how to move through the crux. Have to wait with the holidays though unfortunately.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Anyone that’s owned Scarpa Instinct VS tell me how much they stretch? Ordered a half and a whole size down from the EU 40 I got today. Liked the fit but there was some dead space above my toes and a lot on the heel.

Also waiting on some Boostics and Vapors. Shipping has ground down to terribly slow now that shopping season is in swing.

I've been using Vapors for a while and love them. Instincts I could never get the right fit on. Even with the Vapors (going down half a size from street shoes) there's a bit of room in the heel for me, leading to shoe farts. Other than that I love em. Instincts had a bit too much rubber on the toe for my liking but might be different for you

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

Not very much, the rubber on the toe cap will keep it from doing so.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx

chami posted:

Not very much, the rubber on the toe cap will keep it from doing so.

Yeah, I think I’m at my normal Euro size or maybe one down on my Instincts. I’d say that if you like the size of the shoe length-wise but you’ve still got those issues, they may just not fit your feet that well.

I would be interested in meeting up with front range folks gym or outside, even though I’m not exactly in top climbing shape at the moment.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Bud Manstrong posted:

I would be interested in meeting up with front range folks gym or outside, even though I’m not exactly in top climbing shape at the moment.
well, we're out of shape as gently caress seeing as we just started six weeks ago or so, but you're welcome to join us and/or give us pointers

tortilla_chip
Jun 13, 2007

k-partite

armorer posted:

I'm going out to Red Rock

Johnny Vegas, Geronimo, Olive Oil, Frogland, Cat in the Hat

tortilla_chip fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Nov 21, 2018

asur
Dec 28, 2012

armorer posted:

I'm going out to Red Rock Canyon in a few weeks with a buddy of mine who really only has a year or so of outdoor climbing under his belt. He's good on sport lead into the 10s, and can follow on trad. He wants to get on some big mulitpitch routes, but I'm wary of the short days and time loss to gear management every pitch.

I'm going to run him up solar slab to get a sense of timing, and birdland if that goes well. Any other suggestions? I did epinephrine with a skilled buddy last year and it took us all day, so I'm likely to skip that one this time unless we're unexpectedly flying up stuff. (And even then I'd start it a few hours before sunrise.)

Frogland, Crimson Chrysalis, Tunnel Vision.

I would also recommend the book route below solar slab, it's fun and is an intro to chimneys though don't believe any bs about it being equal in difficulty to Epinephrine.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Awesome! Thanks guys, I'll check these out.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Hot Diggity! posted:

I've been using Vapors for a while and love them. Instincts I could never get the right fit on. Even with the Vapors (going down half a size from street shoes) there's a bit of room in the heel for me, leading to shoe farts. Other than that I love em. Instincts had a bit too much rubber on the toe for my liking but might be different for you

I'm excited to try the Vapors when they come on Friday. I like the Boostic fit a little more but they're very thick compared to the Instinct and I'm looking for a more all around boulder shoe and read the Instinct/Vapors are better for that. This has been the only brand I've found so far that doesn't aggravate my toe knuckle bunion, can fit my morton's toe feet and high instep.

Sigmund Fraud
Jul 31, 2005

Going on trip to El Chorro, south Spain soon. Anyone got crag (6a/6c/7b pref)/restaurant/rest day recommendations?

tortilla_chip
Jun 13, 2007

k-partite
It has been pissing rain in Chulilla, so I hope you get better weather. I ended up doing a quick trip to Albarracin and would totally recommend it.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
I'm 3 weeks into no climbing. My sadbrains are knocking and the family stress from the holidays is incoming. Feck.

Open up, you fucker, I need that sweet sweet dangling.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

interrodactyl posted:

Generally, the ElDo park area is clear and clean with little to no snow, but cold enough for even a sunny send. The canyon bouldering will be hit or miss. Chaos is going to be a no-go unless you shovel out areas and are super committed. Flag and all the flatirons areas will be clear but typically crowded unless you go early or super late. March is generally a big time for the trad/sport people in the canyons. Typically it’s sunny and dry, but chilly. I managed to bag Resonated in March on a sunny send which is considered atypical for that problem, but it was super chilly out so the friction was superb.

If front range goons want to go hit up ElDo and do Blue Whale or Germ Free, I’d be down. :haw:

Betazoid
Aug 3, 2010

Hallo. Ik ben een leeuw.

Sigmund Fraud posted:

Going on trip to El Chorro, south Spain soon. Anyone got crag (6a/6c/7b pref)/restaurant/rest day recommendations?

I hiked the Escalera Arabe route last May in about 4 hours and it was beautiful. The only things near the El Chorro train station were the Caminito del Rey walking path, a power plant, a nice restaurant, and a cash-only bar. It was pretty much just a train station for El Caminito, which I wanted to do, but they had sold out of tickets.

Here's a guide to the hike if you want to do it. There were two climbers there the day we went, but I don't outdoor climb so I have no tips.

https://www.johninmalaga.com/el-chorro-family-hike-arabic-staircase/

Betazoid fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Nov 22, 2018

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

gamera009 posted:

If front range goons want to go hit up ElDo and do Blue Whale or Germ Free, I’d be down. :haw:

How many pads you plan for germ free. I hear that you want 6 minimum.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

spwrozek posted:

How many pads you plan for germ free. I hear that you want 6 minimum.

I have four pads so as long as people bring more it’s fine. It’s mostly to add protection for one sketchy move and a big drop. Good spotting is typically all you really need.

Depending on number of people in March, we could hit the parking lot to hit up the gill block and Resonated.

crazycello
Jul 22, 2009
In Africa for work and taking a much needed break from climbing.

Mwanza, Tanzania is nicknamed 'City of Rocks' and the entire city and countryside is covered with stunning granite boulders. This place might have as much potential as the Rocklands and is going to be on the world circuit in a few decades if travel becomes easier. YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Happiness Commando posted:

My perennial advice for sport gear is:
10 of whatever draws from a major manufacturer that are on sale
2 single length slings
1 double length sling
70m rope (unless you consistently climb shorter routes), non dry, I like Mammut but any major manufacturer is fine.
A few lockers and a few non lockers
PAS - either a daisy chain or slings or whatever
12" (?) of 6mm cord for an autoblock
Rappel gloves

spwrozek posted:

Good advice. Here is my personal recommendation though.

2 six packs of BD Posiwires with a 20-25% off coupon (rarely do you need more than 12 on a 30-35M pitch)
70M rope for CO, I prefer dry as they feed better, fuzz up slower, I use my ropes for all kinds of stuff so I go with BI-Pattern.
2 small skinny lockers for cleaning, 1 spare D locker
PAS is good (not a daisy chain, that is for aid climbing)

Assuming you have harness and a belay device you are good to go.

Always lower, never rap (especially at Boulder Canyon, Clear Creek, Devils Head, Shelf Road, etc). Donate $100 a year to the boulder climbing community for the hard wear maintenance.

Can you help a bro out and give me a shopping list for Cyber sales?

I have a set of draws with Hauki so we are set there, and he nabbed a rope on sale recently.

Beyond that, what slings and such are needed for creating anchors would be great to know.

crazycello
Jul 22, 2009
Double length. Two lockers. Two non lockers. Sliding x with stopper knots on each end.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
IMO if you don't know what you need to build an anchor you should take a class on building them. They're straight forward but you gently caress up people can die, not something you want to learn on YouTube.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
If you're sport climbing single pitch stuff with bolted anchors, just use two quickdraws. Otherwise, this video shows several of the best options and discusses pros and cons. Seconding the advice above though that if you don't know what you need to build a safe anchor in the area you're climbing, you shouldn't be trying to build an anchor yet.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3SkCojauHto

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

IMO if you don't know what you need to build an anchor you should take a class on building them. They're straight forward but you gently caress up people can die, not something you want to learn on YouTube.

Yes, I do not plan on dying.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Great, please don't.

Seek out in person instruction, doesn't have to be a formal class but you should build a bunch of them under supervision until both you and the teacher feel really good about it. You're gonna make some dumb mistakes when you build your first ones - everyone does - and doing it on the ground with someone to troubleshoot is the difference between the learning process and ending up in an accident report.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

Great, please don't.

Seek out in person instruction, doesn't have to be a formal class but you should build a bunch of them under supervision until both you and the teacher feel really good about it. You're gonna make some dumb mistakes when you build your first ones - everyone does - and doing it on the ground with someone to troubleshoot is the difference between the learning process and ending up in an accident report.

Trust me when I say I am a True Goon who overly researches and prepares for everything possible. I appreciate the advice for sure. I have a mentor who trad climbs and gym resources as well. I will not kill myself or others.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

crazycello posted:

Double length. Two lockers. Two non lockers. Sliding x with stopper knots on each end.

Got to get that equalization...:rolleyes:

Sport climbing anchors are two draws, put steel biners on the rope side, one can be a locker if you are paranoid.

crazycello
Jul 22, 2009
Sure if you're just going to swap single pitch leads all day. But if you're going to run train on top rope like lots of beginners I think it's worthwhile to set up something sturdy. I use two draws 99% of the time but still think that building a proper anchor should be a mandatory part of someone's skill set.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Teaching anchoring classes made me realize how many things there are to consider. Like holy poo poo, trying to fit all that in to 8 hours in a digestible fashion + practice time is brutal.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Agreed, and I think it's really important for new leaders to know the full range of sport anchors even if 99% of the time it's two draws so when you get that 1% situation you know what to do instead of try the only thing you know and get into a weird situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlancoNino
Apr 26, 2010
I had a long climbing hiatus due to cycling injuries (including a full Achilles tendon tear, not recommended), and other than a minor pulley injury I'm having a blast again. I was climbing around V5/6 when I stopped and after a couple months I am pretty comfortable on most V4s and found several harder routes to work on.

It'll be nice to feel strong again, I'm almost 30 and don't want to be soft or skinny-fat like a lot of my buddies, haha. I'm down about 20 lbs since I've started climbing again and another 10 would probably be beneficial. I'm not the tallest person in the gym, still 6 foot 2, but with my gangly rear end some routes can be trivial.

I also just want to echo the social aspect of it, I don't have full blown sad brains, but being able to shoot the poo poo with people and cheer on or heckle definitely takes the edge off of the hellworld we currently reside in.

http://imgur.com/a/BEncFHw

edit: bad at BBcodes, image is the gym owner's dog

BlancoNino fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Nov 27, 2018