Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Graham Phillips managed to get himself perma-banned from Twitter

https://twitter.com/kevinrothrock/status/1065005591578451971?s=21

Russia also lost the vote on the new head of Interpol

https://twitter.com/BBCBreaking/status/1065142199204098048

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Whoops nevermind.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Brown Moses posted:

Graham Phillips managed to get himself perma-banned from Twitter

https://twitter.com/kevinrothrock/status/1065005591578451971?s=21

https://twitter.com/BBCBreaking/status/1065142199204098048

This is feel-good post of the day so far

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

^^^ Poor sex tourist Graham. He'll have to stick to VK from here on out. ^^^

https://twitter.com/brianklaas/status/1065201997933101056

Sorry, Vova, you don't get to run the world cop shop after all.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Nov 21, 2018

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Doctor Malaver posted:

Wow, great work... This reads like a Le Carre novel. I suppose so, I've never read a spy novel.

It's not like NATO isn't perfectly capable of losing vessels like that...
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...obox=1542544103

That's Norway. Our navy is pretty much just a joke, a tiny showpiece, we can't even afford to take most of our dumb ships out of port. Like most other small NATO countries we are in reality entirely dependent on the US for defense.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

What's the deal with heating situation in Ukraine?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
did putin turn off gas again?

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Russian aligned media present it as some massive organizational fuckup with people storming heating rooms (whatever you call that place providing heat for many buildings). I know some posters in the thread have families in Ukraine and I was hoping for a first-hand info.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Gramp reported that they turned on heating a week or maybe two ago(but not before it got to like 12 degrees indoor lol) but I'll check if something happened since then. A massive fuckup is not unexpected of course but it could also be a local or regional thing only.

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Randarkman posted:

That's Norway. Our navy is pretty much just a joke, a tiny showpiece, we can't even afford to take most of our dumb ships out of port. Like most other small NATO countries we are in reality entirely dependent on the US for defense.

Considering that Norway is actually rich as hell, you can perfectly afford it. If there's no money in the budget then that is a choice that's been made. That it is hard to maintain a credible defense as a single country is kind of the point of NATO, so contributing some high end frigates shouldn't be treated as a showpiece. You start adding up all those European nato frigates of small-medium sized countries and that becomes a significant number.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

Brown Moses posted:

A lot of the articles before the vote were saying that Prokopchuk was the "favored" candidate or that he was "leading" but didn't say why, and that seems like a pretty decisive result. Did last-minute agitation sink him or was calling him the front-runner overstating it?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

AlexanderCA posted:

Considering that Norway is actually rich as hell, you can perfectly afford it. If there's no money in the budget then that is a choice that's been made. That it is hard to maintain a credible defense as a single country is kind of the point of NATO, so contributing some high end frigates shouldn't be treated as a showpiece. You start adding up all those European nato frigates of small-medium sized countries and that becomes a significant number.

The point being that a frigate from a small NATO country which doesn't spend alot on defense* is not even remotely in the same ballpark as the flagship of the Russian navy.

*And alot of that expenditure goes to dumb boondoggles such as the F-35, rather than a navy and coast guard which would actually be useful for us, we lack the infrastructure, logistics and the budget to regularly send our ships out of port and to maintain them if they were ever really put to use. Most of it is just sitting around, gathering barnacles. I also can't imagine that maintaining the principle of 1-year conscription is a very good use of resources for a military which is in practice a small volunteer force but still pretty much has to dismiss and train a new crop of recruits every year. Though the fact that our army doesn't even have any divisions any more, probably cuts down some on cost.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Nov 21, 2018

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Huh, WP lists Norway as using F-35s. Would have thought they would use Gripens... Come to think of it, whatever happened to Ukraine licensing those?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

OddObserver posted:

Huh, WP lists Norway as using F-35s. Would have thought they would use Gripens...

Why, out of Scandinavian solidarity? Norway and Denmark are in NATO and therefore dutifully bought the F-35 as is required of them.

It's actually extremely difficult to sell European aircraft to European countries. Austria bought the Typhoon thanks to massive corruption from Airbus, Czechia and Hungary are using the Gripen because they could lease them instead of purchasing them. And that's all. Everyone else buys American if they can't make their own aircraft.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
https://twitter.com/olgaNYC1211/status/1065444555019956224

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Also, new head of GRU is expected to be a St. Petersburg intelligence official, well known for being Putin’s eyes and ears in GRU.

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011

And so that we don't forget:

quote:

Korobov's predecessor, Igor Sergun, died suddenly on January 3, 2016.

Must be a stressful gig.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Igor Korobov died after a long and serious illness that started on January 3, 2016.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Amazing how in Russia all the right people die at the right time so conveniently.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Shame he missed this:

quote:

Second GRU Officer Indicted in Montenegro Coup Unmasked

Two officers from Russia’s military intelligence (GRU) are sought, via Interpol, as suspected organizers of an unsuccessful 2016 coup in Montenegro, a small country on the Adriatic Sea in Southeastern Europe. The true identity of one officer is public, while the other officer is known only under his cover identity. Bellingcat has been able to unmask the real identity of the second suspect indicted by the Montenegro prosecutor, and to confirm that he is indeed a senior GRU officer.

The name of the first Russian officer, Eduard Shishmakov, and his employment with GRU at the time of the events in Montenegro, was confirmed in a series of investigations by Bellingcat and its Russian investigative partner The Insider.

The second person is only known to Montenegro prosecutors under his cover identity, Vladimir Popov. It is under this cover name that he is being sought by Interpol and by Montenegro’s partner law enforcement agencies in Europe, as can be seen in the court case file.

Bellingcat and the Insider have now succeeded in unmasking “Popov”’s actual identity, which is Vladimir Nikolaevich Moiseev. Moiseev, who is a lieutenant colonel or colonel with Russian military intelligence, was born on 29.06.1980, the same date as the fictional “Popov.”

Bellingcat’s findings in the case of Popov/Moiseev add important and intriguing details to GRU’s modus operandi in undercover operations, including use of sham business operations, and add to the understanding of GRU’s covert operatives’ world, previously provided by our reporting on the two Skripal suspects, Anatoliy Chepiga and Alexander Mishkin. As in the case of Chepiga and Mishkin, our findings directly contradict Kremlin’s statements that “Popov” was an innocent Russian tourist unjustly accused by a hostile foreign government.

More on the link, but I think that's now the fourth GRU agent we've exposed.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Brown Moses posted:

Shame he missed this:

More on the link, but I think that's now the fourth GRU agent we've exposed.

Much like mice however if you see one there's more. Shame Putin didn't get control of Interpol, isn't it? /sarcasm

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Nenonen posted:

Igor Korobov died after a long and serious illness that started on January 3, 2016.

I loled irl at this bit from the article:

quote:

According to a report by Sergey Kanev published at Dossier Center in October, Korobov reportedly started feeling unwell after a severe reprimand from President Putin in mid-September

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
I like to imagine that Putin runs his organizations like SPECTRE:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XIwUxmtX5U&t=68s

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
SPECTRE is literally based on the KGB, so, yeah, kinda. I mean, they poison people's tea with polonium and go out of their way to very publicly and obviously execute dissidents and insufficient performers. Fleming didn't get all of it from nowhere.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Nov 23, 2018

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Kerch strait really spicy today.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Kerch strait really spicy today.

no kidding: https://twitter.com/christopherjm/status/1066648584924348417

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Ukraine sent two artillery ships from Mariupol to Kerch strait a bit earlier, in response to the incident. FSB reported this publicly, with open taunts to Ukrainian government.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

And gives the Russians an excuse to close the strait down to shipping traffic. Seems like this was all part of the plan.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

mobby_6kl posted:

Gramp reported that they turned on heating a week or maybe two ago(but not before it got to like 12 degrees indoor lol) but I'll check if something happened since then. A massive fuckup is not unexpected of course but it could also be a local or regional thing only.

Plus people are not happy with gas prices going up again. I highly doubt Poroshenko will get re-elected.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Looks like a blockade has been put in place by Russia. Crimean sources also report additional jet patrols being raised.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/Eire_QC/status/1066747706238996487

And it appears the Ukrainian ships are ignoring the blockade, or attempting to.

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos

Ukrainian artillery boat was hit with live fire and returned fire.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

HorrificExistence posted:

Ukrainian artillery boat was hit with live fire and returned fire.

Any updates?

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos

Rinkles posted:

Any updates?

No updates for about 40 minutes from official sources. arzy twitter is going wild tho.

HorrificExistence fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Nov 25, 2018

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

This shows the Ukrainian and Russian ships colliding
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcTSDaCg5xA

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
So... are Russia and Ukraine formally at war? Or will this be like when North Korea shells South Korea and everyone agrees to pretend like it didn’t happen?

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Lightning Knight posted:

So... are Russia and Ukraine formally at war? Or will this be like when North Korea shells South Korea and everyone agrees to pretend like it didn’t happen?

I don't think anybody in the world knows yet

Although they have been de-facto at war for the last few years over the Donbass

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Feldegast42 posted:

I don't think anybody in the world knows yet

Although they have been de-facto at war for the last few years over the Donbass

Is this the first naval clash?

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos

Lightning Knight posted:

There was a Ukrainian boat that was sunk by shore fire a year ago, people blamed the Russians but nothing ever came of it. This is a big escalation though, Poroshenko convined the war council.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Lightning Knight posted:

This is the first one with bona fide evidence of a Russian ship being involved.