Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

What we are actually seeing here is a problem with marketing. You would think that this is a game best enjoyed by exploring every new location and enemy type on your own. And the way the developers talk about the game, and prevent players from looking at potential recruits before hiring implies that spoilers are meant to be discovered on their own. But going in without spoilers usually means getting smacked with a sudden game over after 10-20 hours of play time. Instead, Battle Bros is best played with a wiki in one hand. Otherwise it is sometimes difficult to know when a fight is way too difficult. The thread hivemind knows that enemy mercenaries all have a full set of perks and the equivalent of lv11 stats. But it is not obvious at a glance. Especially since you get to play as younger mercenary companies, so it is strange that there are no young enemy young mercenary companies.

EDIT: See below. I bet he's fighting orc berserkers with level 1-4 bros. I doubt he realizes that greenskins are not trash mobs in Battle Bros, but mid-game to end-game enemies.

golden bubble fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Nov 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HukHukHuk
Jun 27, 2011

I am the sound of cats and hairballs.
I just started my misadventures, and lost my first band to bring woefully unprepared to fight berserkers, but I found that butchers make a decent pick if I find them since I have a hard time finding brawlers. I did find my first wild man and definitely gonna put him in a tin can

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I just did a run where I decided not to take Pathfinder on anyone on my company and found it actually fairly tolerable. Since everyone still shared the same movement restriction and thus movement range, I was still able to roughly maintain the same level of positioning and formation as when I had Pathfinder. I just had to make a few new concessions for the type of terrain. Really, the biggest change in how I played was that I started chasing down roving enemies a little further so I could engage them in favorable terrain and there would be some missions where I simply had to retreat or altogether abandon a job if the enemy spawn proved too costly to engage.

Some thoughts and discoveries dealing with different terrain without Pathfinder:

Height elevation: The additional AP cost for getting on higher elevation without Pathfinder sometimes meant I couldn't move and take a swing in the same turn (this was most noticeable on brothers with polearms and two-handed weapons). But the bonus from height advantage is already desirable so I'm content with using a turn just to take higher ground.

Forests: The added fatigue cost is annoying but the real danger is that trees and other impassable objects can really funnel your mercs if you move them out poorly or get a bad starting position; a clumped up merc in an awkward spot in the initiative order might not be able to move to a free spot or would have to go on a meandering path to reach the enemy if there are too many blocked off tiles. Creating your own chokepoints is key and Rotation is particularly good in forests--Rotation in general is just a great top-tier perk choice but it gets extra utility here by getting fresh bodies in when free space is at a premium. Incidentally, one of the hairiest moments for this company was during a forest ambush event where getting my more vulnerable mercs to a safe backline became a frantic scramble without Pathfinder.

Swamps are generally the worst depending on the availability of dry land and the enemy makeup. Because of the heavy malus that comes from being on swamp tiles, fights can be really swingy. For instance, if you have a couple of spots of dry land for your archers and are only facing non-skeletal melee units, it's a turkey shoot because it's like giving you a 25 percent bonus for your archers. Similarly, getting a row of your melee brothers on dry land while the enemy is zoned out to the swamps can severely hamper even a line of shieldwalled ancient dead. But that advantage can easily go to the enemy if you get a bad map spawn that puts the enemy on favorable, dry land. To mitigate this, I prioritize moving onto as much dry land as possible and use range superiority to force enemies to charge into my superior position. But there will be times when you may have rush in to put down an annoying backliner, such as an ancient priest, and just accept that you'll be drawn into an ugly swamp slugging match.

Mountains can be situationally the worst depending on what end of the mountain you spawn on. The worst case scenario is you end up at the foot of the mountain facing a firing squad of bandit marksmen, where you'll take a bunch of injuries and gas out on half your fatigue as you assail the cliff, just to then face off against height advantage enemies waiting for you at the top. Depending on what stage you're at in the game, it's simply not cost-effective to take the fight. These were the jobs I had to abandon most often or the lairs I'd have to put off until later, but the sustained injuries while retreating and the hit to reputation was far preferable to a wipe. I already try to avoid traveling through mountains when I can due to the speed penalty and increased food costs so mountain ambushes weren't a big concern for me for this playthrough.

Snow same AP/fatigue issues as forest tiles but actually a little easier because you can get mostly flat, open tundra which is actually a benefit against non-undead enemies. With range superiority and standing in place, you can tire the enemy out by a decent amount before they get to you while getting in some good shots.

This was on an expert/expert iron man run that completed all three crises. Overall, I now consider Pathfinder a nice convenience but rather unessential. Having completed a full playthrough without it, I felt that I could easily cope by being smart with my engagement choices and use of tactics. Pathfinder, in and of itself, doesn't really cancel out the fundamental dangers of the above situations, and I think I got way more value slotting in a better perk into my builds this time around without it.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Those are pretty much my feelings about Pathfinder too. A lot of fights it won't get used at all because you're fighting in a field, and most fights even in bad terrain not having it is mitigated by a few things: 1) your whole company moves at the same speed anyway; 2) once you get into contact with the enemy it's a useless perk; 3) your enemy (usually) doesn't have pathfinder either so it's not like they're going to charge you down as you move slowly through the swamp or snow. I think even with pathfinder you'll generally be trying to avoid fights in swamps or mountains so not a whole lot changes there. I prefer having an extra combat perk that will be useful in every fight to a perk that will make some smaller percentage of fights a little less annoying.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Basically Battle Brother is Tomb of Horrors.

I'm not going to begrudge anyone putting the game down because of frustration with the difficulty. It's random, highly punishing of mistakes, asks you to eyeball encounters where even a slight force mismatch can snowball quickly, and constantly throws new edge-cases at you where you don't know if you've bitten off more than you can chew until everyone is suddenly dead.

If you are going to get anything from BB you just have to be willing to accept that you will spend a lot of time starting new campaigns and learning a bit more each time. That's the health warning.

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009

Alchenar posted:

Basically Battle Brother is Tomb of Horrors.

I'm not going to begrudge anyone putting the game down because of frustration with the difficulty. It's random, highly punishing of mistakes, asks you to eyeball encounters where even a slight force mismatch can snowball quickly, and constantly throws new edge-cases at you where you don't know if you've bitten off more than you can chew until everyone is suddenly dead.

If you are going to get anything from BB you just have to be willing to accept that you will spend a lot of time starting new campaigns and learning a bit more each time. That's the health warning.

Yeah I have probably restarted this game 50 times but I keep coming back to it. Took me a lot of playtime before I started playing ironman and honestly I enjoy the game way more in that mode. I think that constantly save-scumming once you know how to play the game really takes a lot of the fun out of it because you will just end up fighting certain battles over and over again and getting more and more frustrated rather than just running away.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Alchenar posted:

I think if I was playing it 15 years ago I could have dealt with that, but I tend to just have small windows of a few hours to play in so starting over just isn't really feasible.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Just my two cents: I was in a similar position and I eventually gave up on BB because it was just two opaque for me, then I ended up having a great time with new XCOM. Finished the first one twice, and now I have 200 hours in the second one, with who knows how many more coming while I'm changing mods every campaign.

torsoboy
Sep 9, 2001

lesbian armada overlord
Basically, Taear is saying he's not enjoying the game and then everyone replies saying he's not playing the game correctly. There's nothing wrong with Taear or the game, guys. Different people like different things.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Honestly he should just drop the game, he is plainly not enjoying it.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
To be fair the fact that the difficulty level can vary so much between different enemy types without really giving the player any way of knowing beforehand without just knowing how the game works is probably one of my major criticisms of BB and if they improved this somehow it would be a great addition.

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

RabidWeasel posted:

To be fair the fact that the difficulty level can vary so much between different enemy types without really giving the player any way of knowing beforehand without just knowing how the game works is probably one of my major criticisms of BB and if they improved this somehow it would be a great addition.

Something like a threat level rating would work well, so that a new player would know goblins are NOT pushovers like in every other game.

fspades fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Nov 18, 2018

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Also more granularity in contract difficulty. The current 1-3 skull system is basically "only do 1 skull contracts unless you're extremely confident about exactly what you're doing"

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Honestly he should just drop the game, he is plainly not enjoying it.

Love seeing a few dozen responses have been posted then finding out it's still the same person trying to convince everyone else the game is bad.

Stop trying to change each other's minds about it.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Unzip and Attack posted:

Love seeing a few dozen responses have been posted then finding out it's still the same person trying to convince everyone else the game is bad.

Stop trying to change each other's minds about it.

Yeah, not everyone likes everything. Give it an honest try, and then move on if it isn't your bag. Nothing wrong with that, especially for a game aa opaque and unforgiving as BB.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Dev doing a preview of the DLC:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdAM-f50TDM

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

fspades posted:

Something like a threat level rating would work well, so that a new player would know goblins are NOT pushovers like in every other game.

That would be really good, actually.
Yes it's hard to say "this group is definitely hard for your particular composition" but there's still at least a rough guide you can do.

Drath
Jan 4, 2018

Taear posted:

That would be really good, actually.
Yes it's hard to say "this group is definitely hard for your particular composition" but there's still at least a rough guide you can do.

There isn't a definitive one, because it depends on so many factors, not least the stats of your men, their perks and traits, their gear (weapons/armor/consumables), your tactical skill and tolerance for risk.

But if you want a general guideline I would say probably:
Early game (L1-5, typically days 1-30 or 35):
Wiedergangers, Armored Wiedergangers, Brigand Thugs, Nachzehrers
Brigand Poachers
Ancient Auxiliaries
Orc Young
Brigand Raiders in small numbers

Mid game (L6-11, typically days 30-80):
Orc Young, Orc Berzerkers
small numbers of Geists
Brigand Raiders and Brigand Marksmen
small numbers of Ancient Legionaries
small numbers of Goblins
Brigand Raiders, Marksmen and Leaders/Hedge Knights
small numbers of Orc Warriors

Late game (L11+, typically days 80+):
Mercenaries
Orc Warriors, Orc Warlords
Ancient Honor Guards, Ancient Priests, Necrosavants
Swordmaster, Master Archer
Goblin Overseer, Goblin Shaman

As mentioned above the key issues are more about stats and gear. Against Orc Warriors you'll need anti-armor weapons like hammers. Against Goblins you need good armor and fighting during Nighttime is generally advisable when going up against a stronger ranged force. Ancient Legionaries are essentially a stat and gear check, without a sturdy frontline and good positioning of 2-handers, the first few encounters are quite likely fairly traumatic. Against Geists, you'll want to have a Sergeant with the Battle Standard and the Rally perk as a safeguard.

I don't want to spoil too much and the above is just a rough guide. There are alternative approaches/solutions to every enemy type and you can read the rest in the wiki but that's the scheme of things in a nutshell. Knowing what to fight and what not to fight comes with experience and everyone has a different threshold.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Different threshholds are definitely the name of the game. I straight up hunt down orc young in the early game because they're so easy to put down.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
With all these new monsters and combat potions and stuff I kind of want to play this again and make a gimmick solo build of a Witcher roaming around slaying monsters :madmax:
Are solo duellist builds basically viable? I've seen videos and guides for running them, but I suppose they rely on a lot of save-scumming.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Difficulty also plays a role when it comes to what enemies are beatable at which points in the game. I used to fight Wiedergängers almost no matter what on Beginner and Veteran but on Expert the game starts spawning large numbers of Armored Wiedergängers so early that that can be suicidal when your bros still only have armor looted from Raiders and no Recovery.

Goblin Overseers are midgame enemies to me. The smaller Goblin outposts generally have an Overseer and I think 11 other Goblins, most of them Skirmishers, in them during the midgame on Expert. They're one of the easier enemy camps to take on during that time imo because while it's hard to avoid injuries against Goblins bros rarely die against them.

communism bitch posted:

With all these new monsters and combat potions and stuff I kind of want to play this again and make a gimmick solo build of a Witcher roaming around slaying monsters :madmax:
Are solo duellist builds basically viable? I've seen videos and guides for running them, but I suppose they rely on a lot of save-scumming.
I doubt they are, although the game does scale enemy numbers to the number of bros in your company to some extent.

Even if it works, though, it honestly sounds boring as poo poo.

watch 20 Orcs take their turns
Wilreich the Witch Hunter moves, shoots his crossbow and misses
Wilreich the Witch Hunter uses Quick Hands and swings his sword
Wilreich the Witch Hunter swings his sword again and kills an Orc
watch 19 Orcs take their turns

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Wizard Styles posted:

Difficulty also plays a role when it comes to what enemies are beatable at which points in the game. I used to fight Wiedergängers almost no matter what on Beginner and Veteran but on Expert the game starts spawning large numbers of Armored Wiedergängers so early that that can be suicidal when your bros still only have armor looted from Raiders and no Recovery.

Goblin Overseers are midgame enemies to me. The smaller Goblin outposts generally have an Overseer and I think 11 other Goblins, most of them Skirmishers, in them during the midgame on Expert. They're one of the easier enemy camps to take on during that time imo because while it's hard to avoid injuries against Goblins bros rarely die against them.

I doubt they are, although the game does scale enemy numbers to the number of bros in your company to some extent.

Even if it works, though, it honestly sounds boring as poo poo.

watch 20 Orcs take their turns.
watch 19 Orcs take their turns
Couple changes here.
watch 20 Orcs take their turns. Wilreich mathematically gets hit once. Armor destroyed. Wilreich is flagging.
watch 20 Orcs take their turns. Wilreich mathematically gets hit once. Takes an injury. Low health.
watch 20 Orcs take their turns. Wilreich mathematically takes a hit. Wilreich is wavering.
watch 19 Orcs take their turns. Wilreich mathematically takes a hit (slight chance he lives). Wilreich breaks. Orcs murder him as he runs.

Honestly I have only seen solo videos where the brother is wearing full Davkul and they're regenning.

torsoboy
Sep 9, 2001

lesbian armada overlord

Sallets <3

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Half hour interview with Jaysen about their future plans etc etc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4Qz6eu0x40

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Nordick posted:

Half hour interview with Jaysen about their future plans etc etc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4Qz6eu0x40

Thanks! I can't watch right now -- mind sharing the highlights?

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Sorry, I'm too tired to really focus on it myself either. :v: I tried listening for a bit, but I was just spacing out so I gave up for now. Should probably go take a long nap tbh.

EDIT: Well, Jaysen did seem to hint that there's still potential for more future content after B&E.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I really hope they add injuries to undead because goddamn they're boring or just frustrating to fight. I basically avoid fighting ancients because while I can get my head around fighting orc warlords or goblins, or merc companies or noble regiments, stalling out against legionnaires with a few bad great sword/hammer bros attack rolls and having my brothers get their heads popped by ancient honor guard pikes sucks rear end

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I think skeleton injuries is a good idea. No reason you couldn't shatter some of their bones.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Yeah, I've been saying that for a while. Skeletons should get broken-bone injuries only. If nothing else there's a whole subset of injury based perks that are lovely picks if you get the skeleton crisis.

edit: I'd really like to try a crippling strikes / executioner party combo build but there's no point if they couldn't handle undead at all

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Nov 21, 2018

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I think there's the potential for injuries to skeletons and zombies as well. If you cut through a zombie's arm muscle or broke a skeleton's arm bone they should get less effective, even if giving them a concussion might not do anything.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
They already don't suffer from fatigue and ignore resolve, which means they will out last your pathetic living fleshmen, not having injuries is just a bit too much.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Not being able to smash off a skeleton arm with my 2h hammer bro is a crime.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Man, the crazy spider fight in the developer 'LP' preview is huge. I wasn't convinced they wouldn't just be annoying as hell to fight but it looks fun!

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

edit: I'd really like to try a crippling strikes / executioner party combo build but there's no point if they couldn't handle undead at all
I think you could do it if you pick those perks later. Wiedergängers are just cannon fodder eventually and Ancient Dead become a lot less challenging later on as well. Then again, Crippling Strikes and Executioner also don't look too hot against Goblins, so, eh.
Could always use BB-Edit to just play around with it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Wizard Styles posted:

I think you could do it if you pick those perks later. Wiedergängers are just cannon fodder eventually and Ancient Dead become a lot less challenging later on as well. Then again, Crippling Strikes and Executioner also don't look too hot against Goblins, so, eh.
Could always use BB-Edit to just play around with it.

It would bother me due to my own notions of "efficiency" and "wasted perks" -- whenever I got into a fight against undead I'd feel I was "less efficient".

Ideally either the patch will add bone injuries to undead OR someone will write a mod.

It's funny how an upcoming DLC can revive interest. I'm sitting here with a day off work and instead of playing any of the games in my steam library I'm watching the Let's Play video of the dlc. He throws a dagger party and calls it an "advanced technique" some of the better players are adopting! And he takes student at first level! Vindication!

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Nov 23, 2018

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
Johan (hilariously good BB player who's broken the game over his knee in about a thousand different ways) at time of this writing fixing to stream the new DLC; he got a beta key from the devs and is streaming it with permission. Enjoy!

https://www.twitch.tv/83johan

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
We're going to have to generate all new seeds, right?

What do folks look for in a good seed? I can't remember what my criteria were. A swamp village for witch hunters and cultists, a forest village for archers, a trading circuit with a gem mine, what else?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

What do folks look for in a good seed? I can't remember what my criteria were. A swamp village for witch hunters and cultists, a forest village for archers, a trading circuit with a gem mine, what else?

I like it when it is easy to travel from one part of the map to the other. My favorite seeds had tons of ports making it very easy to just bugger off to a different part of the map for contracts.

En Garde Motherfuckers
Apr 29, 2009

Hey. Is it just me, or do my balls itch?
I put a lot (probably too much) value in good traits on the starter units when it comes to seed selection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

germlin
May 31, 2011
Fun Shoe

A starting triple iron lungs will do