Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
I heard the Demi-chan official translations weren’t very good (and its English name leads me to believe that’s true, because Sensei for one would be horrified to hear the Demi crew referred to as “monster girls”). Any thoughts on that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Raise wa Tanin ga Ii continues to be the actual best.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

LibrarianCroaker posted:

Raise wa Tanin ga Ii continues to be the actual best.
it really is

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
If there are any Helck fans still around (the thread went to the archives), the mangaka's fluffy little Piwi spinoff just ended and she'll apparently have a new series coming next year.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Who pulled out the monkey's paw and made a wish? Dorohedoro is apparently getting an animated adaptation in the near future. I can't even get excited because I know it won't live up to the manga.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
No word on studio and such yet, right?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Has there been updates with regards to March Lion? Volume 13 came out last year around this time, and it's usually one volume a year, but as far as I can tell that's still the latest. Did it take a bit of a break/hiatus?

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
https://twitter.com/3_lion/status/1055697297701404672

Volume 14 comes out on December 21, expect scanlations to come out around that time

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Mondo cool.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Brought To You By posted:

Who pulled out the monkey's paw and made a wish? Dorohedoro is apparently getting an animated adaptation in the near future. I can't even get excited because I know it won't live up to the manga.

I'll get excited for you.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

No word on studio and such yet, right?

No, the magazine hasn't come out yet just the Cover got leaked it seems.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Brought To You By posted:

There is no way they can air a faithful adaptation of this series on TV.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
If it's CG I'm going to have a total loving meltdown.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

better expect at least partial cg because there's no way they draw kaiman's head all the time

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I'd be perfectly fine if they use CG for all the magic smoke; CG is good at make things feel unnatural and otherworldly.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I recently discovered this series that I found cute (since it's labelled Seinen I'm putting it here).

http://manga.fascans.com/manga/a-witchs-printing-office

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

you're too relatable, cinema-san

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Kine-san is extremely good.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Chas McGill posted:

If it's CG I'm going to have a total loving meltdown.

If it’s CG and done by anyone other than Studio Orange or Khara I will join you.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Best Poison Taster updated. Oh poo poo.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

yeah

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Man, that's quite the hostile workplace.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Well, she was technically kidnapped off a road and sold into sexual slavery in chapter one. Try not to be a woman in ancient China if you can avoid it.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
New Magus Bride.

loving hell, Simon :smith:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
EDIT: Ooops, I misread "Seinen" as "Shonen", disregard :v:

Lt. Lizard fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Nov 21, 2018

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Mikl posted:

New Magus Bride.

loving hell, Simon :smith:
Thinking about that scene in Avatar where Sokka talks about his girlfriend turning into the moon, and Zuko replying "...that's rough, buddy."

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

I ended up reading the entire fan-translated chapters of the novel instead of doing anything constructive today.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

I liked that poison taster manga but she started to turn into a bit of a mary sue and then it was revealed that her freckles are fake and I gave up. Thanks for listening.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

first this woman is competent and then she puts on unflattering makeup?! dropped 0/10

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

If it's a crime to think a character should have any flaws, then I'm going to jail!

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

well they can add it to the list of charges underneath "using a vague (sexist) buzzword instead of making an actual complaint"

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I'm glad that the term Mary Sue is progressing towards a sure and certain death

She's still a weirdo in the context of her environment. Like c'mon, she likes putting poisonous poo poo in her mouth and salivates over putting herself through bodily pain caused by those, is generally more assertive (for better or for worse) in a society that prioritizes grace and appearances, and she doesn't practice tact if she dislikes a person.

Mao is really cool and interesting and your complaint is pretty petty. Like oh no, freckles are fake, now she's a bad character because she looks okay underneath

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

I just posted my honest reaction and unfortunately used a word that's been claimed by the pepe squad in doing so. She never struggles with anything and it makes the manga boring. I'm fine with her being good at poisons/medicine (it's what the manga is about) but she needs to fail at some point or the story is boring. Her only flaw I can think of is "telling it like it is" which is the lamest flaw imaginable because it isn't one and it never gets her in trouble. This is CSI: Imperial Palace except the main character has the "who dun it" epiphany at the start of every chapter instead of near the end so it's less interesting. And there's a lot more cheesecake.

Some of the following are fine but I feel like theres already a ton for how short this manga is:
- Seems like she is supposed to be a teenager or young adult but seems to have the knowledge of someone twice her age.
- Knows every poison, herb, disease this side of the Pacific. (It's what the manga is about so it's fine)
- Probably knows everything and more than some elderly looking doctor who works at the Imperial Palace.
- Is supposed to be plain looking, is actually pretty but hides it!
- Is a CSI forensics expert despite being billed as an herbalist.
- Comes across a dead body, reaction: "Yep, see this sorta thing all the time down at the precinct brothel."
- Extremely socially adept, noticing something as subtle as a concubine's color scheme being off despite being in a situation she's not familiar with.
- Teaches a woman with boobs bigger than her head what a titjob is.
- Sews a little pocket into her shirt and is begged by everyone (including professional seamstresses) to teach them how to do it.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
She's literally Sherlock Holmes. She's addicted to drugs/poisons, has an encyclopedic knowledge of crime and death, and has an incompetent eunech Watson. She reports to Mycroft for cases. It's okay for Sherlock Holmes to be smart and competent.

What makes her interesting than Sherlock is that a single political misstep would mean her certain death. Hiding her freckles shows she understands how fragile her life is, not that she's secretly the most beautiful girl on the island.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
There's still a lot of plot the manga has yet to cover from the LN and this manga is probably one of the better adaptions of a light novel. The fact that it can cover so many facets of the character in the relatively short amount of chapters that are out is something I'd say is a good thing. It feels more condensed because it's a visual medium, but honestly, there's very little important information left out and it flows pretty smoothly in manga form.

So what I'm saying is that Kusuriya is good and I'm glad we get to have a competent female protagonist who gets poo poo done

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

It is a problem with a lot of seinen having hyper-competent MCs, and their 'flaws' as being just too gosh darn competent for their own good, and conflict arises from other people/society rather than an internal conflict created by who the MC is and what they do.

Granted thats also a problem with a lot of adult-targeted media in other countries, but the visual language and story telling style and pace of manga makes this very obvious.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
I’d rather read those flaws than dumb harem ones in male directed stories. It’s valid criticism, but I guess the setting is novel enough for me to see past it.

Squidster posted:

She's literally Sherlock Holmes. She's addicted to drugs/poisons, has an encyclopedic knowledge of crime and death, and has an incompetent eunech Watson. She reports to Mycroft for cases. It's okay for Sherlock Holmes to be smart and competent.

What makes her interesting than Sherlock is that a single political misstep would mean her certain death. Hiding her freckles shows she understands how fragile her life is, not that she's secretly the most beautiful girl on the island.

Aw gently caress it is anime girl sherlock holmes isnt it, welp

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I'm more perturbed by the implication that freckles are a bad thing.

--

I started reading Memorandum of Kyoko Okitegami, about a detective with a day long memory. The mysteries are fittingly small and episodic so far. I'm curious to find out if there's any scope for character development, given Kyoko's condition...

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Squidster posted:

The threat of certain death does not mean much when you know it will never materialize.

Also the Watson isn't supposed to be incompetent. The original Dr. Watson is the better medical expert, better educated at the general knowledge Holmes eschewed and most importantly smart enough to follow Holmes's deductions. And, being a war vet, almost as good at fighting as Holmes himself. The entire point of the relationship is one of mutual benefit.

Honestly Mao² could really use a proper Watson.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Nov 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011