Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Scruffpuff posted:

I have one example of a time it worked once. Early in the game you're following in the steps of some kind of firefighting squad, and you make your way into a mine that I'm not even sure, is going into a volcano? Or hell? It's ominous and the sound creates perfect ambiance. On the ground are audio tapes made by the dwindling members of the team that attempted this before you. There's one fork in the path on the way down right after picking up a specific tape that just kinda stops you dead - one path looks safer but you can hear things in the shadows, the other path looks like it's just gonna crush and melt you in the flames but is otherwise clear.

It's a spooky moment with great atmosphere, hearing the audio logs reminds me of System Shock 2 (similar feeling of impending dread and hearing what happened to the last guy) and the addition of an NPC would have killed that moment dead. For it to work, you have to be alone.

This is a cool part of the game but you can have this kind of moment without it being at the expense of NPC's elsewhere. It's not any different from what was done in Vault 11 or the Dunwich building.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
RE people enjoying a bad game: I have nearly 2000 hours combined in APB and APB: Reloaded. loving try me. Game can be bad while finding some modicum of fun in it.

That said Fallout 76 is a glorious trainwreck and misses the mark so hard that all the awfulness is truly the tastiest part in this turd fondue and I am glad to witness it

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Rinkles posted:

the game's reviewing worse than my brief time with it would have lead me to believe. is it a case of mismatched expectations---they want a different game, like tei said---or does it fall apart the longer you play?

I haven’t seen a professional review that didn’t clearly state what the reviewer found fault with, and I don’t think any of them seemed like whatever Tei was referring to. They didn’t act like they wanted a certain type of game, they acted like Bethesda failed at making the game they set out to make (or didn’t have a good vision for that in the first place). User reviews are another story entirely.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Yeah, Our group has mostly found that we prefer to group up then each branch off to our own goals. We can then use each other (and each others) camps as bounce points. If someone gets stuck in over their head, or we find something really interesting, or pvp occurs, or we want to horse trade ammo we can re-merge the group. I’d say over the course of 4 hours we’ll merge and break apart again a half dozen times

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

J-Spot posted:

This is a cool part of the game but you can have this kind of moment without it being at the expense of NPC's elsewhere. It's not any different from what was done in Vault 11 or the Dunwich building.

I agree. I don't really care about NPCs in the Fallout series (I didn't even bother with the dog) but I can't really think of why they bothered omitting them. Did Bethesda say in no uncertain terms they'd never put them in, and it's some kind of bizarre overarching design choice? Or is it something they could change later on?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I mean, presumably unless there's some kind of big standalone expansion, putting in NPCs to make bark lines isn't going to do anything to the game's storytelling after the fact.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Songbearer posted:

RE people enjoying a bad game: I have nearly 2000 hours combined in APB and APB: Reloaded. loving try me. Game can be bad while finding some modicum of fun in it.

I have fond memories of APB. Like all the people in the instance gathering in a place where you can put a few trucks to create a ramp that vehicles can use to jump over a large building.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Scruffpuff posted:

I agree. I don't really care about NPCs in the Fallout series (I didn't even bother with the dog) but I can't really think of why they bothered omitting them. Did Bethesda say in no uncertain terms they'd never put them in, and it's some kind of bizarre overarching design choice? Or is it something they could change later on?

Why put in npcs other players can kill

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Scruffpuff posted:

The only official thing I've heard them say is they didn't want anyone to be confused as to whether a human in the game was real or an NPC as if the username floating above a player's head wasn't a dead giveaway. I doubt that's the real reason though.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

J-Spot posted:

The only official thing I've heard them say is they didn't want anyone to be confused as to whether a human in the game was real or an NPC as if the username floating above a player's head wasn't a dead giveaway. I doubt that's the real reason though.

if only there were literally decades worth of MMORPG design to look back on to see if there are any good solutions for this unsolvable problem

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Rhymenoserous posted:

Flip side of the coin is someone posting "I'm actually having fun with this." and someone responding "But don't you understand you are destroying video games???" :derp:

CharlestonJew posted:

that's exactly what happened, yes

CharlestonJew posted:

I'm not surprised, just disappointed. We could be getting so much better if people didn't settle for hack jobs like this

lol

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
My favorite little thing about 76 is that they commit to the worldbuilding with “you’re the first people to come back to the surface so there are no NPCs!” yet you can still find guns in mailboxes and fifty caps in a cash register.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

J-Spot posted:

My cynical guess is they didn’t want to pay voice actors.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Rhymenoserous posted:

My guess is they didn’t want to pay voice actors.
Just have Todd Howard fill in like he did in Knights of the Nine!

(is that video even real or did someone dub his voice over the actual dialogue as a joke? It's hard to tell with Oblivion voice acting)

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Nov 21, 2018

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Pirate Jet posted:

My favorite little thing about 76 is that they commit to the worldbuilding with “you’re the first people to come back to the surface so there are no NPCs!” yet you can still find guns in mailboxes and fifty caps in a cash register.

What cash register you looking in? They all have useless pre war money.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Rhymenoserous posted:

Fallout 76 have lots of audiotapes with hours of that poo poo. You couls cut it to 1/8 of what it have, and it will be too much. Maybe audio acting is cheap but modeling/animating expensive?

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Pirate Jet posted:

Haven't played the game have ya.

You're the first vault to open in the area, but not the only people to have survived in the region, and there is a story reason why people aren't around that isn't 'No one was around before the Vault opened'

edit: Yeah there is a ton of VA in the game despite the lack of NPCs, and I feel there isn't some greater and/or ulterior motive to not having NPCs other than most Online Survival Crafting games don't have them and they didn't think people would miss NPCs that said people spend so much time hating on as ugly, unlikable, and badly written.

Magmarashi fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Nov 21, 2018

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Rhymenoserous posted:

They paid them for holotapes. If they wanted to cheap out on voice acting they'd just have five non-union actors voice every character again.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

So does anyone else get weird hang ups in outdoor combat even after the patch? I’m not sure if it’s the game being poo poo (probably) or me finally needing to upgrade my GTX 970 (possible). Like I can run around the world perfectly fine at 60 FPS, but it seems like whenever I get attacked by ghouls or whatever outside the game stutters frequently when I’m trying to turn and aim. It seems exceptionally bad near Charleston.

Edit: Now that I think about it the game also stutters sometimes when multiple NPCs load in. I’m not sure if that’s just me or the lovely game

Hakarne fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Nov 21, 2018

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I'm fairly certain there's some technical reason they didn't include NPCs, something like if more than one person tries talking to an NPC at once they turn into a toaster

Whatever the limitation was, that's probably why mp got shelved while they made fallout 4 (a game full of systems that clashed even though I liked them) strictly sp, assuming they'd be about to iron everything out in 3 years.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Rhymenoserous posted:

Game has plenty of voice.

My theory is there is some gamebreaking bug in the engine that can't handle multiplayer online NPC interactions. I talked to one of those sales robots while someone else did and the menu was glitching out like crazy, where it was showing things they were selling but would get error messages if I tried to buy them. I bet there were like half way through development, realized it'd take 6 more weeks of development to make server side conversation work correctly and just stripped out every single interaction that would give the engine any trouble.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Hakarne posted:

So does anyone else get weird hang ups in outdoor combat even after the patch? I’m not sure if it’s the game being poo poo (probably) or me finally needing to upgrade my GTX 970 (possible). Like I can run around the world perfectly fine at 60 FPS, but it seems like whenever I get attacked by ghouls or whatever outside the game stutters frequently when I’m trying to turn and aim. It seems exceptionally bad near Charleston.

Edit: Now that I think about it the game also stutters sometimes when multiple NPCs load in. I’m not sure if that’s just me or the lovely game

as much as i defend the game, combat is (as in all Fallout games) janky and horrible as gently caress, i miss shots at dead center mass from 5 feet away and apparently shooting through a doorway, something i thought we handled 20 years ago, doesn't usually work either :shrug:

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Hakarne posted:

I have stuttering issues unless I turn my textures to medium. Then it runs great. I have the same card as you

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I'm a fan of the theory that there are no NPCs because you'd be trying to turn a quest or get one, and some jackass could just stand by them KO'ing them all day. Never killing them, because they'd of course be flagged essential, but otherwise making them impossible to interact with.

(I would probably be that jackass)

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i think they will increase server pop limits and let people be NPC's, you already sort of can with the Welcome Mat

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Tei posted:

This group of people could have been satisfied by installing a icon with the name "Fallout 76" that plays the 4 hours long Seal of Nehara machinima.
God that takes me back...

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Dammit, I found the Broadsider (keeping that forever) and the Cryolator (eh?) and it's forcing me to come to terms with "you can't stack up all the legendaries anymore".

Bethesda just ruined my adult childhood.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I'm a fan of the theory that there are no NPCs because you'd be trying to turn a quest or get one, and some jackass could just stand by them KO'ing them all day. Never killing them, because they'd of course be flagged essential, but otherwise making them impossible to interact with.

(I would probably be that jackass)
Some of the robot NPC's aren't even essential, they just flat out don't react to you shooting them. Other games do the same thing with their human NPC's so there's really no reason it couldn't be done here. A few people would probably bitch about it but they'd also be among those bitching about no NPC's at all so gently caress 'em.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Game has plenty of voice.

My theory is there is some gamebreaking bug in the engine that can't handle multiplayer online NPC interactions. I talked to one of those sales robots while someone else did and the menu was glitching out like crazy, where it was showing things they were selling but would get error messages if I tried to buy them. I bet there were like half way through development, realized it'd take 6 more weeks of development to make server side conversation work correctly and just stripped out every single interaction that would give the engine any trouble.
They could just pop up the old "this person is busy" message if someone is already talking to them. They already make people wait for terminals and crafting tables so I don't think this would be a bridge too far.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

if only there were literally decades worth of MMORPG design to look back on to see if there are any good solutions for this unsolvable problem
I get the sense that the folks at Bethesda don't actually play a lot of the other stuff on the market. There are a lot of ideas from other games they should be cribbing. Almost everything they wanted to do with this game has been done better in various Ubisoft games without compromising the experience in the way 76 does.

J-Spot fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Nov 21, 2018

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I have stuttering issues unless I turn my textures to medium. Then it runs great. I have the same card as you

Same here. Fallout 76 does an amazing job (and by that I mean no job at all) of explaining texture sizes for each detail setting, then helpfully sets you to ULTIMATE GRAPHIC MODE no matter what card you have. I'm in the same boat and nothing worked until I set everything to Medium (shadows too) and now I'm fine.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Thanks, I’ll give that a go. Maybe it’s time for me to finally upgrade ol’ Bessie too. She’s been a great card for years but I feel like she’s just starting to show her age with some of the newer games. Probably the best price/performance/longevity balance I’ve ever gotten out of a video card, and judging by the newer overpriced cards I’m looking at it may be the best I’ll ever get. :v:

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Hakarne posted:

Thanks, I’ll give that a go. Maybe it’s time for me to finally upgrade ol’ Bessie too. She’s been a great card for years but I feel like she’s just starting to show her age with some of the newer games. Probably the best price/performance/longevity balance I’ve ever gotten out of a video card, and judging by the newer overpriced cards I’m looking at it may be the best I’ll ever get. :v:

It's not that your card can't handle the highest detail setting, it's that Bethesda doesn't really intelligently streaming textures onto and off your card efficiently or in advance or in the background - it just tries to shove the entire 7GB texture pack into your video card RAM at the same time. If it doesn't fit, it just shoves as much as it can onto the card (with no consideration toward what textures you might encounter based on where you are) then spends all its time streaming in new textures from disk, while discarding textures at random, even if the texture it discards is applied to an object you were literally just looking at and is right behind you. You spin around again - oops gotta load in that texture from the drive, let's discard the texture for the ghoul he's still fighting.

Go with Medium and the whole pack fits on your card and the problem is gone. Well, not gone, but irrelevant.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
NPC chat: It's because their engine can't handle people running around plus NPCs so they had to pick one. :shrug:

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Server down for maintenance, another patch?

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
why does all the pictures looks like a graphic intensive game running on the lowest settings on a piece of poo poo pc? all look awful

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

COMRADES posted:

NPC chat: It's because their engine can't handle people running around plus NPCs so they had to pick one. :shrug:

Since the game actually still has roaming traders and such, the only reasonable explanation is that they cut out NPCs because they presumed that survival game players expected virtually no NPCs to be present. Otherwise the game works exactly as if it had NPCs, including characters that are still alive and telling you things, but that you just can't see.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I kept having this holotape bug where if I play one that's laying on the ground the pip boy radio shuts off and the tape is added to inventory but it doesn't play and I can't play it unless I log off.

After the correct amount of time passes the radio kicks back in even if I'm playing some other tape.

Also sometimes it'll play like one second and then stop playback, there was the airport patrol thing I was doing and the last tape started, stopped, and then the whole set was removed I guess cause the quest was over.

I have a huge amount of tapes I wanna listen to but either can't play, or it sucks being unable to pause the tape and beat a mongrel to death and then hit play, or I don't wanna sit at home and listen to them because I'm outta wood again so I can't even work on my hut at the same time.

Also if I play a text tape like the psychiatric records thru the pip boy there's a chance that ~ something happens, I can hear somebody or something running around, maybe see reflected flashes of a fight, and as long as I'm looking at the tape it's nbd, I don't get hurt, nothing, but if I put the tape away I've already been booted from the server as if the overlay had blocked the regular ui.

I'm guessing I can't change the drat colors on the fucker anymore, right?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

SniperWoreConverse posted:

I kept having this holotape bug where if I play one that's laying on the ground the pip boy radio shuts off and the tape is added to inventory but it doesn't play and I can't play it unless I log off.

this is my biggest loving annoyance right now.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
*scrolls through holotapes for days trying to remember name*

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
delete all those stupid tapes dammit. im not gonna just go back and wistfully remember that one corporate guy who was doing a good thing and got murdered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

sneakyfrog posted:

*scrolls through holotapes for days trying to remember name*

Thats the most stupid poo poo.

I have drop to the ground all the tapes and poo poo that seemed safe. I hope that don't byte me later when I try to enter a bunker and everyone can go but me.

That and the already mentioned tapes not autoplaying when you pick up with the option [x] Play.