Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

mlmp08 posted:

That said, abolish the Senate and make Congress tied to the population of the least populous state, which gets 1 rep.

Two rep's for the smallest!

2 for Wyoming
2 for Guam
3 for DC
4 for Rhode Island
13 for Puerto Rico
79 for New York
160 for California

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Perfect is the enemy of good

But I think people are forgetting not to lose sight of perfect

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Acebuckeye13 posted:

While the Democratic leadership has often been filled with idiots and assholes, the bigger problem is really that America is filled with idiots and assholes, most of whom would cut their own arm off if it meant getting to chop a hand off a neighbor.

This really is imo the major problem with the country. I used the shooting in the foot analogy instead though ie that they'd shoot themselves in one foot if they got to shoot someone else in both.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

How can a person be smart enough to create an account for facebook/twitter/wherever, but still too dumb to suss out how idiotic this is?

Like, even if a person lacks the critical thinking to realize that the two maps are at different magnification levels, you'd think people would realize that Los Angeles, San Diego, and Sacramento haven't been incinerated.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I mean the Democratic party has been trying to sell America on universal healthcare for seven decades. While the Democratic leadership has often been filled with idiots and assholes, the bigger problem is really that America is filled with idiots and assholes, most of whom would cut their own arm off if it meant getting to chop a hand off a neighbor.

e: who would then refuse to vote for anyone who promised to spend money on their bleeding stump because communism

lol if democrats have been trying to sell the US on universal healthcare for seven decades but havne't been able to do it then they should loving hang but they are literally useless

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

The national Democrats suck rear end at preparing anybody for leadership other than centrist trash. Just because I say Pelosi needs to be replaced doesn't mean I don't realize and acknowledge all of the steps that need to happen between now and that goal. It's like arguing against abolishing ICE by saying you can't just fire an entire agency and then not have anybody else pick up the slack. Like duh there's a lot of steps between here and there,

The simple fact that there aren't any obvious contenders is a pretty huge failure of its own. What if something happens to Pelosi, are they just going to shrug and let one of the Blue Dog challengers take the lead at that point because at least they have ~leadership experience~?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Internet Wizard posted:

The national Democrats suck rear end at preparing anybody for leadership other than centrist trash. Just because I say Pelosi needs to be replaced doesn't mean I don't realize and acknowledge all of the steps that need to happen between now and that goal. It's like arguing against abolishing ICE by saying you can't just fire an entire agency and then not have anybody else pick up the slack. Like duh there's a lot of steps between here and there,

The simple fact that there aren't any obvious contenders is a pretty huge failure of its own. What if something happens to Pelosi, are they just going to shrug and let one of the Blue Dog challengers take the lead at that point because at least they have ~leadership experience~?

why do I feel like I keep needing to point out that the Dems are more like a coalition than a monolithic party. AOC is a fantastic example of how desired outcomes can be dragged out from the teeth of entrenched state-party machines, but it means effort needs to be out forth and maybe you aren't successful the first time around but you keep up the work you're doing.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Internet Wizard posted:

Yeah, but the argument is that the Democrats should dump Pelosi now! In whose favor exactly? There's nobody to succeed her that's any better (Dems number two and three in the House are also >70), so now is the time to elect her Speaker and lay the groundwork for a progressive replacement.

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:
Counterpoint: The longer we wait, the more likely Pelosi kicks the bucket, then we have to put somebody in the position who both has no experience at the job AND has no one to ask advice.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
It's really weird the particular places you'll find fascist sympathies. I went to look up for clips of Pan's Labyrinth and there are a lot of people who sympathize with the Captain and company lmfao.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ZombieApostate posted:

Counterpoint: The longer we wait, the more likely Pelosi kicks the bucket, then we have to put somebody in the position who both has no experience at the job AND has no one to ask advice.

I wouldn't be surprised if there were certain reps one would consider to be under the mentorship of Pelosi for this purpose, and I don't just mean the "next in line" position like Hoyer.

It's a problem that there isn't a very obvious successor, though. That could be a failure of contingency planning or it could be an aversion to appearing to have a favorite.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Milo and POTUS posted:

This really is imo the major problem with the country. I used the shooting in the foot analogy instead though ie that they'd shoot themselves in one foot if they got to shoot someone else in both.
Something that stuck with me for years was the Old Man Murray interview with the folks that developed Serious Sam, where a little Croatian saying got lodged in my brain: "It's alright if my cow is dead, so long as my neighbor's cow is dying too."

Is this the default attitude of most people, everywhere?

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011

FAUXTON posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if there were certain reps one would consider to be under the mentorship of Pelosi for this purpose, and I don't just mean the "next in line" position like Hoyer.

It's a problem that there isn't a very obvious successor, though. That could be a failure of contingency planning or it could be an aversion to appearing to have a favorite.

Yeah, I'm not super knowledgeable about the whole situation, but the seeming lack of even a roster to pick from for President, House and Senate makes me restless.

And I guess I'd be fine with Pelosi for now if she'd actually be willing to take on some progressive wing battles, and assuming there's some sort of transition being worked on, but the Democrat leadership hasn't had the best track record in either of those regards in recent times, from what I've seen.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
https://amp.freep.com/amp/1991712002

We definitely should let states do the regulating on this one, stop big government

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
There was one person many people saw as a potential further-left successor to Pelosi!

Joe Crowley.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

lol if democrats have been trying to sell the US on universal healthcare for seven decades but havne't been able to do it then they should loving hang but they are literally useless

Or, you know, they faced entrenched opposition from Republicans, the healthcare industry, and their own party during a period of widespread political realignment and global conflict, during which one of their most left-leaning Presidents and one of their most left-leaning Presidential candidates were assassinated. And they did make some progress—the Republicans have been trying to reverse Johnson's Great Society since it was implemented in the 60s, and though battered and bruised we still have Medicare, Medicaid, and Civil Rights. That's not nothing.

In my honest opinion the only realistic chance UHC had of being implemented was during Carter's presidency, and that ultimately failed because Carter was a stubborn jackass who was completely incapable of working with his own goddamn Congress.

gently caress Carter.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ZombieApostate posted:

Yeah, I'm not super knowledgeable about the whole situation, but the seeming lack of even a roster to pick from for President, House and Senate makes me restless.

And I guess I'd be fine with Pelosi for now if she'd actually be willing to take on some progressive wing battles, and assuming there's some sort of transition being worked on, but the Democrat leadership hasn't had the best track record in either of those regards in recent times, from what I've seen.

Denying bipartisan cover for any of the poo poo sandwiches the tea partiers served to the GOP caucus likely led to boehner and ryan running crying/screaming from the speakership and congress itself. Despite speculation to the contrary, the major party caucuses in the house are more like coalitions of various minor parties as you'd see in, say the UK. Being able to whip your caucus hard enough (:haw:) to force those tensions to the surface is an expert use of minority soft power because the house has no filibuster or 2/3 cloture threshold where unpopular votes can be avoided by just not having a final vote on a lovely bill. You either placate the kingmakers by whipping votes on their ACA repeal poo poo sandwich or spend your time fighting off challenges to your speakership. Now you can see why boehner spends his retirement drinking wine and presumably smoking weed.

It's hard to assume someone with her level of competency being convinced she'd be in that seat forever and just never planning on fostering any kind of successor, but dumber poo poo has happened.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/thomaswatkins/s...ingawful.com%2F

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011

FAUXTON posted:

Denying bipartisan cover for any of the poo poo sandwiches the tea partiers served to the GOP caucus likely led to boehner and ryan running crying/screaming from the speakership and congress itself. Despite speculation to the contrary, the major party caucuses in the house are more like coalitions of various minor parties as you'd see in, say the UK. Being able to whip your caucus hard enough (:haw:) to force those tensions to the surface is an expert use of minority soft power because the house has no filibuster or 2/3 cloture threshold where unpopular votes can be avoided by just not having a final vote on a lovely bill. You either placate the kingmakers by whipping votes on their ACA repeal poo poo sandwich or spend your time fighting off challenges to your speakership. Now you can see why boehner spends his retirement drinking wine and presumably smoking weed.

It's hard to assume someone with her level of competency being convinced she'd be in that seat forever and just never planning on fostering any kind of successor, but dumber poo poo has happened.

It doesn't sound like there's any reason to doubt she has the skills for the job. For me, at least, it's more a question of whether she's going to pick and choose the right goals to go after.

And, well, the Dems completely forgot that state elections matter for a while there and Pelosi was a party leader for much of that period. It wasn't directly her job, true, but if you extrapolate the leadership's job from there, it doesn't look so pretty. Hopefully that was mostly Debbie Wasserman Schultz being dumb and shortsighted and won't be repeated now that she stepped down.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ZombieApostate posted:

It doesn't sound like there's any reason to doubt she has the skills for the job. For me, at least, it's more a question of whether she's going to pick and choose the right goals to go after.

And, well, the Dems completely forgot that state elections matter for a while there and Pelosi was a party leader for much of that period. It wasn't directly her job, true, but if you extrapolate the leadership's job from there, it doesn't look so pretty. Hopefully that was mostly Debbie Wasserman Schultz being dumb and shortsighted and won't be repeated now that she stepped down.

Pelosi like 95% of her caucus is a power-seeking animal who holds few firm principles beyond holding power. With the blue dogs having signed that letter opposing her speakership, it's pretty clear where she needs to go to maintain her hold on the reins - and it ain't rightward. Given the stuff she's at least said so far w.r.t. the green new deal, it seems she's well aware which way the winds are blowing. There's a goofy phrase about computers that goes something like "it's just a rock we tricked into imitating a brain." Pelosi and party apparatchik dems like her are going to follow power wherever it comes from, and if she knows her speakership is contingent on helping people like AOC deliver on their promises, that's perfectly fine that she was tricked into imitating a leftist.

The problem is that she'll snap back to her old self the millisecond that pressure is let up, meanwhile the quasi left coalition applying that pressure is already looking for any reason to stay home two years from now, so welp.

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011

I just found this 538 article that seems to do a pretty good rundown of who is pressuring Pelosi and who could potentially do the job instead. And it doesn't sound like she's strictly being pressured from the right.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Feel good story of the year

https://twitter.com/Satyanewshi/status/1065199778626076672?s=19

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

What do star pickets and concertina wire go for at metal recyclers?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Let's just hope he doesn't spread any diseases. Does this guy have any other history of being awful? I may not love missionaries but they're nowhere near televangelists on my lovely+sanctimonious scale. I'm just saying I'd prefer it be someone with a private jet than some well meaning dummy.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
oh my god they didn't even use triple strand or barbed wire, just pickets and double strand

that can be defeated by a pair of gloves and a boot

edit: or a goddamn stick

Vasudus fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Nov 21, 2018

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Vasudus posted:

oh my god they didn't even use triple strand or barbed wire, just pickets and double strand

Potrumpkin Wallage

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
When your tweets are so bad, they enter court records and ensure you serve your time.

https://twitter.com/awprokop/status/1065270279964889088?s=19

Deleting your tweets won't save you from your bad tweets, either.

https://twitter.com/awprokop/status/1065271322194993157?s=19

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
"I am not owned" I continue to tweet as Federal Marshals drag me away.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Vasudus posted:

Man, it's almost like everyone involved was aware this was just a political stunt :thunk:

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Vasudus posted:

BROWN ISIS CARAVAN CAN DEFEAT US ARMY WITH STICK - Fox News Headline

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Or a sheet of plywood

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Plywood you would have to bring with you.

There's sticks right there.

Unless they don't clean up from that picture, in which case plywood is also right there.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

A rogue staffer has attempted to impersonate someone in the military chain of command:

quote:

The White House late Tuesday signed a memo allowing troops stationed at the border to engage in some law enforcement roles and use lethal force, if necessary — a move that legal experts have cautioned may run afoul of the Posse Comitatus Act.

The new “Cabinet order” was signed by White House Chief of Staff John Kelly, not President Donald Trump. It allows “Department of Defense military personnel” to “perform those military protective activities that the Secretary of Defense determines are reasonably necessary” to protect border agents, including “a show or use of force (including lethal force, where necessary), crowd control, temporary detention. and cursory search.”

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/your-military/2018/11/21/white-house-approves-use-of-force-some-law-enforcement-roles-for-border-troops/

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Gonna have to sole source a few billion over to Northrop to develop some new immigrant-proof wire options.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Somebody remind John he took the stars off.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
The Party of Law and Order loves ignoring the Law in favor of Order.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
As much as many people want to push for fully automated space communism and the like in D&D, what I'm seeing with Pelosi is the most realistic optimism scenario. Not perfect, and can certainly be improved on but realistic. She sees where the wind is blowing and bought off the progressive side of the party by giving them a lot of high profile committees in exchange for leaving the conserva-Dem wing high and dry without enough to challenge her. It's not Full Communism Now, but barring violent societal revolution it's how things are going to get done.

There's arguments to be made that even so things won't get done fast enough but oh well, that cake was baked in the '80s and '90s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
i mean i know we have a very specific treason definition and this totally doesn't apply but uh i'm failing to come up with a better term for this

the chief of staff is using authority that is only authorized to the president of the united states, which in itself is unconstitutional when used on us soil, and it's just another wednesday