Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is your favorite swear word?
View Results

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
at least the singleplayer isn't tied to real weapon unlocks like in bf4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Bohemian Nights posted:

at least the singleplayer isn't tied to real weapon unlocks like in bf4

Playing the ending three times to get the M249, P90 and QBZ-95-1 was loving awful tbh. BF3 had co-op tied weapon unlocks too and before they cut the XP needed for them, it was quite the grind.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Guillermus posted:

Playing the ending three times to get the M249, P90 and QBZ-95-1 was loving awful tbh. BF3 had co-op tied weapon unlocks too and before they cut the XP needed for them, it was quite the grind.

Oh god I remember doing that poo poo on 360 with BF3, it was horrendous. The best part is it wasn't even tied to completing the missions or some kind of challenge, it was literally just grinding out missions over and over again until you got everything and it blew rear end the whole time.

XyZeR
Apr 22, 2006
Polygon Tamer
I've tried to play 9 games today so far I joined and crashed to a "connection to the server has been lost" within 1 minute of play,

my firewall settings are ok, I have the latest drivers (1080ti)+ the windows 10 update, I run origin and BFV as admin.
Any idea what else to try?

I really want to like this game...

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Shima Honnou posted:

Oh god I remember doing that poo poo on 360 with BF3, it was horrendous. The best part is it wasn't even tied to completing the missions or some kind of challenge, it was literally just grinding out missions over and over again until you got everything and it blew rear end the whole time.

I think I played the helicopter mission A LOT with goons to grind since it was the easiest and most "fun". I was two weapons away from ending it when :dice: drop the patch and it unlocked the rest because I had twice the XP needed for the full grind... :suicide:

The G3a3 was well worth it because another patch later they introduced the M26 DART bug and well... :getin:

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Imo Medics should also have access to pistol carbines like the vehicle crew class had in bf1. That would give them a second set of slightly more longer range weapons like everyone else, while still keeping them from camping on hillsides.

unrelated but i hope sidearm customization are added soon

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

I just want the captured skins for the wooden parts, I wish it didn't introduce rust on some of the weapons even if you stick to stock and handguard.

Bring back crazy customisation. Let me wear my awards. I want to be able to show up to a party looking like I stole Georgy Zhukov's uniform.

SplitSoul fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Nov 21, 2018

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Guillermus posted:

"Do or die!"
"Do or die!"
"Do or die!"

Yeah fuckit, can you chuklefucks just get to the point where I chose which one of you three die so I can get my P90?

Campaign wasn't...bad but wasn't good. And at least on only had to do the final mission three times.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
lol remember how I noticed that singleplayer seems to count kills for the dogtags?

Well it counts assignments too because suddenly I've got a G43 assignment done that I only activated after the last match I played tonight.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Shima Honnou posted:

lol remember how I noticed that singleplayer seems to count kills for the dogtags?

Well it counts assignments too because suddenly I've got a G43 assignment done that I only activated after the last match I played tonight.

Yeah, that sounds about right.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
The way my character holds the MP28 makes me very uncomfortable

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Well I've been playing this for two days now and my verdict is: It's like Battlefield 1 but worse?

Gameplay-wise it's about the same. You got the heavy tanks, the light tanks, the snipers, assaults, medics, light planes, bomber planes etc etc. Graphically they are on par as well

But BF1 also had really cool poo poo like zeppelins, armored trains, dreadnoughts, cavalry and supersoldiers (flamethrower guy, heavy machine gun guy, tank hunter guy etc). I kind of liked most maps better in BF1 as well...

BFV feels a little lacklustre in comparison. Also there are not enough vehicles in the game

Zzulu fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Nov 21, 2018

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Imagined posted:

The way my character holds the MP28 makes me very uncomfortable

One hand on the trigger

One hand awkwardly reaching cross-body and then cranking the wrist back around to hold the magazine underhanded

Gee whatever could you mean

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Zzulu posted:

Well I've been playing this for two days now and my verdict is: It's like Battlefield 1 but worse?

Gameplay-wise it's about the same. You got the heavy tanks, the light tanks, the snipers, assaults, medics, light planes, bomber planes etc etc. Graphically they are on par as well

But BF1 also had really cool poo poo like zeppelins, armored trains, dreadnoughts, cavalry and supersoldiers (flamethrower guy, heavy machine gun guy, tank hunter guy etc). I kind of liked most maps better in BF1 as well...

BFV feels a little lacklustre in comparison. Also there are not enough vehicles in the game

I feel the gameplay itself is BF1 but better once you get used to the flow. Also the way they nerfed/nearly removed 3D spotting makes it a hella better game in so many ways.

The way they gutted Operations Mode is a huge step backwards though. It's still fun, but as you say it lacks a bunch of oomph. I get that they probably felt they couldn't figure out a way to do proper behemoths: a lot of the mega vehicles in BF1 would have folded like tin foil to WWII weapons. Imagine what the Valentine AA or Wirblewind would do to a low flying zepellin, and the Valentine's 6pdr cannon would have eaten the Char supertank alive. However the way it progresses through the three maps the same way each time, and only with minor bonuses with no partial credit for previous days really sucks some of the magic out of Operations.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Hopefully when the DLC/expansion comes out with the SECRET WEAPONS OF WW2 stuff, we can get this tank as a behemoth:

:getin:

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.
Behemoths were bad. Visually, the only really impressive one was the zeppelin which was great cause it sucks balls so you saw it die A LOT.

There is no paid DLC, they are phasing in content relatively chronologically. We still don't have US, Russian, or Japan at the very least, yet you have access to 9 tanks and 10 planes. Unless the complaint is about actual small vehicle in the map like jeeps then yeah i kind of agree.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I just mean there needs to be more vehicles on each map. I like the battlefield games because it mixes vehicles with infantry combat but most of the time it's just infantry combat and a lot of the maps dont even spawn vehicles, not even light garbage vehicles, or they just spawn 2 at a time

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

There are a surprisingly large amount of vehicles actually! They have the durability of wet tissue paper due to the horrible, horrible things panzershrecks and PIATs do to them right now.

Except for Bombers, but those are so bad even the devs are backing off on those.

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice

Zzulu posted:

Hopefully when the DLC/expansion comes out with the SECRET WEAPONS OF WW2 stuff, we can get this tank as a behemoth:

:getin:

Oh man the things I'd do for them to add the P1000 Rätte.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Zzulu posted:

I feel like a lot of the lost lustre comes from the fact that BFV has just been released and BF1 has 2 years of patches/DLC/etc holding it up. This is still a pretty great launch for DICE, and I think that as we progress through the tides of war stuff and eventually unlock more factions, we'll lose a lot of the sameyness you get after playing for a couple hours.

Gonna have to disagree with you on the BF1 specific stuff though - Behemoths were visually impressive but gameplay-wise pretty meh and I could give a gently caress about elite kits.

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...
I love the removal of 3d spotting. Makes this game so much better! And I don't mind the guns and vehicles we have at the moment. We're only at the beginning of the game, so there is plenty of time for them to add in more stuff for us.

I am loving the fully upgraded G43. It's a monster, and I regularly outshoot other player at most ranges. Killing snipers with a quick two-shot to the head is also fantastic. I chose the quicker bullets, the other two on the right hand side, and then recoil reduction. Makes it so easy to aim and tap fire. I would have liked magazines instead of stripper clips, but I will just have to deal with it.

Also, being able to aim and have your bullets go where you want, in comparison to BF1, is just awesome. Makes my gameplay a lot better.

And I have no idea how they did it, but this game runs better on my PC than BF1 did. I was forever getting frame rate loss, whereas this is smooth as silk. Now I am somewhat annoyed that I didn't get the deluxe version...

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Zzulu posted:

I don't think BFV is the game for you if those are the things you liked about BF1. The "Cool poo poo" to you are the things most players are glad to see gone, because they were either overpowered and obnoxious to fight against, or useless beyond looking cool. Those things you mentioned are part and parcel with the 'casual' nature of BF1 that had people so split on it.

First vehicle/weapon balance patch is coming on Dec. 4th with Tides of War.
According to Drunkkz3/Tiggr posts it should include:

G43 nerf (+maybe addition of scope glint to 3x). Not sure if there will be an across the board nerf to SLRs or just the G43. I'd expect the Turner to take a hit, too.
KE7/StG 1-5 nerf
StG 44 Buff
SMG buff (easier to control + maybe return of 12m 4btk range).
Ducking for top gunner on tanks/vehicles
Panzerfaust Nerf
Bomber resistance changes (damaged more by AA)
Bomber/plane re-arming changes (moved much further away from the battlefield)

They haven't mentioned any changes to tanks beyond Panzerfaust nerfs and the addition of top gunner ducking. I imagine they'll tweak the tanks more gradually, which is a good thing imo. It's better to have them start on the weaker side and be tweaked upwards into place than have them start overpowered and try and tweak them down into place like the bombers are now.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

The upgraded rear turrets on a JU-88 can take down a fighter in less than 2 seconds. You cant even maneuver away from it before it kills you.

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!

FAT CURES MUSCLES posted:

The upgraded rear turrets on a JU-88 can take down a fighter in less than 2 seconds. You cant even maneuver away from it before it kills you.

The beefy turret can only hit you if you fly below the bomber. Fully upgraded fighters can also kill the bomber in around 2 seconds as well.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Fart Car '97 posted:

I don't think BFV is the game for you if those are the things you liked about BF1. The "Cool poo poo" to you are the things most players are glad to see gone, because they were either overpowered and obnoxious to fight against, or useless beyond looking cool. Those things you mentioned are part and parcel with the 'casual' nature of BF1 that had people so split on it.

G43 nerf (+maybe addition of scope glint to 3x). Not sure if there will be an across the board nerf to SLRs or just the G43. I'd expect the Turner to take a hit, too.
KE7/StG 1-5 nerf
StG 44 Buff
Panzerfaust Nerf

They haven't mentioned any changes to tanks beyond Panzerfaust nerfs and the addition of top gunner ducking. I imagine they'll tweak the tanks more gradually, which is a good thing imo. It's better to have them start on the weaker side and be tweaked upwards into place than have them start overpowered and try and tweak them down into place like the bombers are now.

...a STG buff?

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.
If they put a scope glint for non-recon classes, that's hosed. The lone assault wookie is not the problem that scope glint solves. But that's what they did for the marksman poo poo in BF1 so I bet they do that here.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

eonwe posted:

...a STG buff?

release stg44 is super underwhelming, so yeah, probably appropriate

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Fart Car '97 posted:

KE7/StG 1-5 nerf
StG 44 Buff
Panzerfaust Nerf

... A G43 nerf?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Bohemian Nights posted:

release stg44 is super underwhelming, so yeah, probably appropriate

idk, still seems like one of the better guns in the game to me

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

Does support's machine gunner combat role effects apply to all weapons (i.e. shotguns) or just the, uh, machine guns?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Azuren posted:

Does support's machine gunner combat role effects apply to all weapons (i.e. shotguns) or just the, uh, machine guns?

Shotgun probably doesn't fire fast enough to suppress fully and trigger the spotting.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

DrPop posted:

... A G43 nerf?

Yes, they noted it appears to be over performing. Anyone that uses the G43 and the Turner can see they're better than they should be.

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

What's the consensus on the best vehicles for each side and the key specializations?

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
I accidentally ended up playing with a bunch of goons a few nights ago, and sat in the AA and trolled a try hard on the other team the whole match. The goon boys supported me the whole way. Thanks guys!

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
The tiger feels beefy but it's soooooo clunky and slow. Any organized squad will murder it real quick because it can't get away

To be honest, organized squads will murder any tank/vehicle in this game fairly quick

Also, I tried to call in one of the tanks when I got enough squad leader points today and it just said "REQUEST DENIED". What's up with that

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I believe only one squad vehicle of a certain type is allowed per team at any given time. So, if there’s a Sturmtiger on the field, another squad can’t call in a second one.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

the first time I damaged a bomber with an AA gun I actually laughed out loud, I’m genuinely astounded at dice thinking that it was ok for them to do like 6 damage a shot

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

The Drilling is loving amazing, Nthing this sentiment

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Azuren posted:

What's the consensus on the best vehicles for each side and the key specializations?

https://i.imgur.com/h0UwMmX.gifv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Zzulu posted:

To be honest, organized squads will murder any tank/vehicle in this game fairly quick

I'm aggressively fine with this. A tank should be powerful, but on its own should also be very vulnerable to a squad that can engage it effectively. I know whenever I've been in a tank I've felt very powerful up until I lose my infantry support, at which point any old assault can come up and stick dynamite on my rear end.