Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
Welp, I found a big bug

When using the "call to glory" power from a warrior lodge, it turns out event spawn troops immediately spawn in wherever your main stack is and reset your march. So if you're 2 days out from marching into a province to start a battle and some new troops spawn in (which they do pretty consistently), the entire march is reset and it happens all over again, AND you still have to keep paying those troops. I spent two loving years trying to march into a province this way during a holy war, which bled my entire treasury dry. You can't split off the event spawned troops, because for some reason when new troops spawn in they automatically condense into your whole stack. You can't redirect the troops because their movement is locked from the original order. The only way I managed to break the cycle was to run out of money, which luckily gave me the event to despawn the troops a day out from the battle, but after the battle was finished more troops spawned in and the cycle started all over again.

Kind of a game-breaker, actually. I think it's only an issue when there's a march long enough to allow new troops to spawn in during it, which is probably why not a lot of people have found out about it, but in East Africa there are many such marches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Is building temples enough to get germanicoral authority from 20 to 50. I formed Norway and conquered most of Denmark

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Stairmaster posted:

Is building temples enough to get germanicoral authority from 20 to 50. I formed Norway and conquered most of Denmark

You're usually cash strapped as an unreformed tribal, and building temples is pretty expensive. It's much easier to burn to churches to raise moral authority. Assemble a big raiding force and tour Ireland. Every time you siege down a church (or any temple not of your faith), your religion will get 1% MA.

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

critical support for anarchists
Really, you should synergize. The side benefit of razing churches is that you get loot which you can then use to build your own churches to eke out a teensy bit of extra MA.

Also, Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury - The Side Benefits Of Razing Churches

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Sydin posted:

As for troops, one thing the game doesn't really explain well is that you get a HUGE boost to levies in your capital. One capital province with 4 castles will pump out way more troops than four provinces with one castle each. Build up your capital as much as possible, and then focus on other castles. You can also get a temporary boost by setting your marshal to train troops in your capital.

What's generally the best holding strategy, anyway? I've just been making all cities because I love money but I'm pretty sure that's not the best practice. I'm also not sure how much to build up hospitals or trading posts (when a family happens to build one in my holding).

E: Shoulda finished reading the dang thread!!

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Nov 21, 2018

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

I always build hospitals but I honestly don't feel like disease resistance does anything.

One I played as Ireland and the black death completely spared the British isles, allowing me to rip into the depopulated continent afterwards. Building hospitals only gives me the "too many lepers" event a lot.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

pidan posted:

I always build hospitals but I honestly don't feel like disease resistance does anything.

It does, but you need really high level hospitals/disease resistance to actually see a change. Once I played as the Duchy of Tunis, cheated myself hospitals and all their buildings, and my duchy was completely spared all the plagues and sicknesses ravaging the rest of North Africa.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

MaxieSatan posted:

Really, you should synergize. The side benefit of razing churches is that you get loot which you can then use to build your own churches to eke out a teensy bit of extra MA.

And also sieging down churches decimates enemy levies, leaving them open for County Conquest, for another 1% MA.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

CommissarMega posted:

It does, but you need really high level hospitals/disease resistance to actually see a change. Once I played as the Duchy of Tunis, cheated myself hospitals and all their buildings, and my duchy was completely spared all the plagues and sicknesses ravaging the rest of North Africa.

Hospitals also help prevent the prosperity level from dropping, even if the county is infected. This is pretty big since the gold difference between depopulated and level 2-3 prosperity is quite noticeable in your major economic engines.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I mean... why do you think she stopped, exactly

The goal here seems fairly obvious and she achieved it and then some

Erm ... she stopped because she died.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Pigbuster posted:

What's generally the best holding strategy, anyway? I've just been making all cities because I love money but I'm pretty sure that's not the best practice.

I like cities as well - you can buy troops with money if you need to.

In your capital county you want all castles, as many as possible, because of all the levy bonuses you get there. In counties you think you'll want to hold permanently castles win again, because baronies are the only holdings that don't increase your vassal count, which will matter later if it doesn't now. But in counties you think you'll eventually give to vassals I like cities better, because cash is good and weaker vassals are too.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

I like cities because one, I like money, and two, you can build universities in all of them to eventually become an unstoppable powerhouse of women's rights and legalism.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
If you're playing in a region with the Silk Road, what's the best way to handle the trade post provinces? Holding as many personally as possible seems like it'd make you filthy rich, but on the other hand, it seems like there's at most one trade post per duchy, so trying to hold multiple will spread your demesne out a lot, and normally I see people recommending consolidating down to like a single duchy and holding extra castles in your capital. Does that change with the Silk Road, or is having one highly-upgraded trade post in your capital or whatever good enough?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Torrannor posted:

You're usually cash strapped as an unreformed tribal, and building temples is pretty expensive. It's much easier to burn to churches to raise moral authority. Assemble a big raiding force and tour Ireland. Every time you siege down a church (or any temple not of your faith), your religion will get 1% MA.

MaxieSatan posted:

This of course presumes they exist. I think a Tribal Shattered World is probably the absolute most painful you can make a start, especially if the counties are equalised. No advantage, no money, and tribes aren't worth much even when sieged down.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Jedit posted:

Erm ... she stopped because she died.

Pfft what a lightweight...

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
I hosed up when reforming my religion, got stuck in gavelkind, and my empire exploded when my ruler died. Then my heir got leprosy and died almost immediately so I lost the claims on all the other kingdoms.

I guess it's funny that the peak of my empire was under a lunatic imbecile old woman who was terrible at everything other than fighting, still winning duels in her 80s

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
If this is really the last CK2 DLC, then it's a very good last DLC. The game is near feature complete for me. I would have liked a monastic society for pagans who adopt monasticism. Perhaps one society for the offensive pagans (Norse, Tengri, Aztecs), and one for the rest. Zoroastrians could do with a warrior lodge, Muslims and Jews with a monastic order.

I hope holy orders in CK3 work more like a cross between a warrior lodge and monastic order than the mostly impenetrable entities they are now.

I've never cared for playable theocracies or inland republics, so I'm not missing those things as a feature.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

The only thing that seems really missing to me is custom heresies.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Are there any societies focused on Diplomacy or Stewardship?

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Benedictine order gives stewardship.

I once accidentally became the head of a holy order, and none of my vassals were able to marry any more. Fortunately I figured it out in a couple of years.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

pidan posted:

Benedictine order gives stewardship.

I once accidentally became the head of a holy order, and none of my vassals were able to marry any more. Fortunately I figured it out in a couple of years.

Actually, this could be really powerful. Use the seduction focus to produce bastards you can legitimize, and wait as your realm dies out and you can inherit their titles. Use the "introduce noble to court" decision to supply you with people you can give titles.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Oh dear me posted:

I like cities as well - you can buy troops with money if you need to.

In your capital county you want all castles, as many as possible, because of all the levy bonuses you get there. In counties you think you'll want to hold permanently castles win again, because baronies are the only holdings that don't increase your vassal count, which will matter later if it doesn't now. But in counties you think you'll eventually give to vassals I like cities better, because cash is good and weaker vassals are too.

Cash is important as well because it lets you afford an enormous retinue, once you get to those. If you keep doing the stuff do increase your retinue size and buying the biggest one you can, it almost doesn't matter so much about your levies from counties because you have your own private little stack of death to roll around with.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

evenworse username posted:

Cash is important as well because it lets you afford an enormous retinue, once you get to those. If you keep doing the stuff do increase your retinue size and buying the biggest one you can, it almost doesn't matter so much about your levies from counties because you have your own private little stack of death to roll around with.

What makes retinues even better is that you can declare war with them raised, which means you can maneuver your retinues into position right before declaring war. At best this means you don't have to consolidate your levies as your retinues kick rear end (especially if they're pikes), at worst they give you some time to prepare.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Pigbuster posted:

What's generally the best holding strategy, anyway? I've just been making all cities because I love money but I'm pretty sure that's not the best practice. I'm also not sure how much to build up hospitals or trading posts (when a family happens to build one in my holding).

if you're playing as feudal, you want as many castles as possible, concentrated in your capital county/duchy. this gives you the maximum personal levy, which lets you run around kicking rear end and expanding your realm. gold is what taxing vassals are for. eventually you can set up a vassal merchant republic if you're a king or emperor

it's good to have cities to generate money to tax, but unless you have a very nice duchy with more holding slots than you can have possible castles it's usually better to have castles. the general tall/wide discussion in 4x games doesn't really work in ck2 though because tall is so incredibly expensive it's usually a very late game concern. and if you want to play the money counting game and building constructor game, just play as a merchant republic, they're a lot of fun anyway. feudal lords are usually so short on cash that you have to spend on other things that getting to the point where you're building lots of new castle holdings is after you've snowballed hard

build a hospital in your capital county and build it out when you can. hospitals are super expensive but they have nice bonuses and protect against depopulation. to keep your court/kids safe from disease you'll usually have to close the gates anyway

as a feudal, ignore trading posts unless you are on a trade route outpost (money bag icon on the map). the only thing trading posts are useful for is burning them down if you want to fight a merchant republic (they are good to shake down for gold but they can hit hard so be careful)

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Torrannor posted:

I've never cared for playable theocracies or inland republics, so I'm not missing those things as a feature.

Making inland republics is easy enough now that I'd consider them included. I'm trying to get to the end in my current game, but after that, I'll probably go back to ironman and knock out some cheevos as inland republics just to do it in a way no one has ever done before.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Just as an fyi for new/returning players, going to the Crusades as a Catholic is absolutely essential. Send your troop ships early so you can land as soon as the crusade starts for maximum reward, it will shower you with thousands of gold.

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

I used to be TheRealLuquado

A question for anyone who originally bought the game from GamersGate.

So i haven't played the game for several years, and have wanted to come back to it. I originally bought the game from GamersGate, and had a hell of a time getting a working steam key from there (one finally spawned for me after several months of going back and forth with their support. So i can install the base game via steam and its fine.)

However I had purchased a LOT of the add on content and expansions through GamersGate, years ago, and none of that transferred over to Steam, nor can I access it through GamersGate anymore as they no longer sell it.
Has anyone else been through this with GamersGate, and does anyone know if there is a way to get the add on content back I had most of the major expansions, all the music, and several others, and it would suck big time if I had to buy them again via Steam. GamersGate support has been of no help, and Steam support of course tells me I have to get it resolved with GamersGate.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Billy the Mountain posted:

A question for anyone who originally bought the game from GamersGate.

So i haven't played the game for several years, and have wanted to come back to it. I originally bought the game from GamersGate, and had a hell of a time getting a working steam key from there (one finally spawned for me after several months of going back and forth with their support. So i can install the base game via steam and its fine.)

However I had purchased a LOT of the add on content and expansions through GamersGate, years ago, and none of that transferred over to Steam, nor can I access it through GamersGate anymore as they no longer sell it.
Has anyone else been through this with GamersGate, and does anyone know if there is a way to get the add on content back I had most of the major expansions, all the music, and several others, and it would suck big time if I had to buy them again via Steam. GamersGate support has been of no help, and Steam support of course tells me I have to get it resolved with GamersGate.
I would actually talk to Paradox directly and see what they have to say

The Bold Kobold
Aug 11, 2014

Bold to the point of certain death.

luxury handset posted:

eventually you can set up a vassal merchant republic if you're a king or emperor

How do you do that? Right now I have a game going as a reformed, feudalized and united interior Africa but haven't managed to pierce into the coasts yet.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

The Bold Kobold posted:

How do you do that? Right now I have a game going as a reformed, feudalized and united interior Africa but haven't managed to pierce into the coasts yet.

You need a duchy and a county.
Step 1) Give the county to the mayor of the citt that it is that county.
Step 2) give that guy the duchy
Step 3) Enjoy all the money rolling in.

You have to be a king or an emperor first, though.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

The Bold Kobold posted:

Once you do have access to the coast, give the mayor of a city in a coastal province the county itself, then give him a duchy. It will create a merchant republic with 5 patrician families that have the same culture and religion as the mayor. So make sure the mayor is of your culture and religion before doing this.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Am I going to get anything extra for sacrificing this guy to odin

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Stairmaster posted:

A warm fuzzy glow. And the same reward as sacrificing anyone of King rank.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Uh oh, restoring the Roman Empire makes you unable to equip the imperial diadem. rip that +4 stewardship :negative:

Clearly now my goal is to steal the iron crown from those dang karlings.

tombom
Mar 8, 2006

Stairmaster posted:

You get extra prestige and piety when you sacrifice at the blot (250 prestige and 100 piety) plus the Norse religion gets a moral authority bonus.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Has anyone toyed around with using a dynamic mercenary company as a varangian guard of sorts? I'd like to dump like 10k into one and then put it on permanent retainer, but I'm not sure it's possible to do it cost effectively even in my rich rear end silk road republic game. And I'd be afraid of it disbanding when a leader dies or through an event or something and my initial investment disappearing. Any ideas?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Stairmaster posted:

a cheevo, if you're not in ironman see if you can't ransom him. or mutilate

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

luxury handset posted:

a cheevo, if you're not in ironman see if you can't ransom him. or mutilate

It's only an anti-pope, not the real one. Note the lack of golden borders around his portrait.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Also proper Popes typically don't, absent player fuckery, go around being court chaplains of kings. I don't think I've ever seen an AI empire vassalize the true Pope, let alone a kingdom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Sulphagnist posted:

Also proper Popes typically don't, absent player fuckery, go around being court chaplains of kings. I don't think I've ever seen an AI empire vassalize the Pope.

i figured it was some weird bug introduced in holy fury