Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

TTBF posted:

I was told it wasn't a big deal and burn in in OLED would "heal itself" if you just used it normally. Luckily I decided to take precautions and stop using it as a monitor instead of listening to that advice. There's still some burn in that you can see when the screen is mostly cyan, but otherwise it's fine. It hasn't reduced in the year since I stopped using it as a monitor, but only I've noticed it so it's not a big deal.

Yeah, OLED burn-in doesn't behave quite like anything else. Usage rythms are almost completely irrelevant, but it is cumulative over all usage - it doesn't matter if the UI element shows up for ten minutes at a time six times over the course of a day, or if you display it constantly for an hour - it burns the same either way. If you only watch movies and TV shows on it, it's not a huge deal for most home users because the wear is roughly even over the display and it takes several years to become noticeable at all, but if you watch CNN constantly or if you use it for anything with fixed UI elements, then welp, you might start seeing noticeable burn-in after less than a year of use.

LG 27UK650 is another good 4k monitor option by the way, if you prefer a 27" with higher pixel density over a 32".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

How big is the Predator XB271HU? There is a micro center near my parents place for the Holidays and I'm thinking maybe I'll just buy one and take it back with me on the Megabus I'm taking.

Welcome to GBS
Feb 26, 2011

Strong Sauce posted:

How big is the Predator XB271HU? There is a micro center near my parents place for the Holidays and I'm thinking maybe I'll just buy one and take it back with me on the Megabus I'm taking.

Very big but the box has a handle.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Strong Sauce posted:

Please post about the looks you got with that box on public transit after you get home with it. I'd recommend a big like Ikea bag or something to put it in.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

This monitor poo poo is insane; I’ve been into PC nerd poo poo for many years but after using a lackluster 1080p BenQ for the last ten years I completely underestimated how complicated everything has gotten. I’ve now spent the last couple of days down the UW rabbit hole but I’m not convinced by the requisite premium, so now I’m looking at ‘normal’ aspect ratios again. However, most manufacturers have insane naming schemes and chaotic model lineups which I suspect mainly serve to cover up the fact that all these companies use the same panels anyway.

But I digress - what is, in this thread’s opinion, the hands down best 27” 1440p IPS gaming monitor money can buy? And I’m only talking gaming here, not using my Windows PC for anything else.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Acer XB271HU.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Sweet, it's actually 20% off in my country

Andohz
Aug 15, 2004

World's Strongest Smelly Hobo
What's the FreeSync version? I've had my monitor for more than 5 years and i now have a ATI R9 390 card that can actually push out more than 1080p. I've been looking at the Acer 27" Nitro VG270UPbmiipx and planning on buying that if no good deal pops up during black friday. The primary use will be gaming and surfing only.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
Is this monitor worth getting for the price?
https://www.scan.co.uk/products/238-acer-nitro-vg240y-gaming-monitor-ips-1920x1080-75hz-freesync-1ms-100m1-250cd-m-vesa-hdmi-vga

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
drat I can get a recertified Acer Predator XB271HU for about $475 including tax through ebay today but buying a recertified monitor makes me nervous. Acer's Recertified store shows that the warranty only lasts for 90 days and doesn't list if they have a threshold for dead pixels.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Spaseman posted:

drat I can get a recertified Acer Predator XB271HU for about $475 including tax through ebay today but buying a recertified monitor makes me nervous. Acer's Recertified store shows that the warranty only lasts for 90 days and doesn't list if they have a threshold for dead pixels.

Or, you know, get a brand new one for $499 through their website: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824106004

If you don't subscribe to their emails, you can use that code in a phone order.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Buy it on eBay App with code PICKFAST 8AM-8PM EST today on NewEgg's site to get 15% off. $442 pretax

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Acer-Preda...rk%3A5%3Apf%3A0

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
That's an insanely good price, shame I am EU.

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

I'm looking at getting a new monitor son and I am thinking of getting this one:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0714BLPK1?&tag=experevi-21&ascsubtag=1406171

Does anyone have any experience of it? Is curved actually any good? Also will I regret getting a VA panel as opposed to an IPS panel? Oh and is the HDR on it any good? For the price it almost seems to good to be true.

Any thoughts would be welcome!

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Should be possible to buy an AW3418DW through Ebay direct from Dell for $799 with one of the codes right now.

Strong Sauce posted:

Buy it on eBay App with code PICKFAST 8AM-8PM EST today on NewEgg's site to get 15% off. $442 pretax

Also quoting this because this is the deal all of you who have been asking about gaming monitors should be going for.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Nov 21, 2018

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Catzilla posted:

I'm looking at getting a new monitor son and I am thinking of getting this one:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0714BLPK1?&tag=experevi-21&ascsubtag=1406171

Does anyone have any experience of it? Is curved actually any good? Also will I regret getting a VA panel as opposed to an IPS panel? Oh and is the HDR on it any good? For the price it almost seems to good to be true.

Any thoughts would be welcome!

Don't have any experience with it but for a wide gamut 144Hz 1440p VA monitor that really is a very attractive price, and especially if you have an AMD GPU. A curved panel isn't really much of an advantage though on a regular 16:9 27" monitor, and I know some people don't like it.

HDR on PC is still in its infancy and kinda finicky the moment. Only a handful of games support it. Either way the HDR capability isn't stellar. 600 nits isn't super bright. More importantly though there seem to be a bunch of caveats to it - more specifically, you can't have both the advertised fast response time and HDR at the same time, and you can't have fast response time and variable framerate (freesync) at the same time either. 144hzmonitors writes:

quote:

Surprisingly, there’s no overdrive setting in the OSD menu. Instead, the ‘Response Time’ setting offers Standard, Faster, and Fastest options. Both Faster and Fastest modes enable backlight strobing which delivers the specified 1ms response time speed.

There is no noticeable difference between the Faster and Fastest modes, so pick the one you prefer. Note that the backlight strobing works only at fixed refresh rates which you can also set in the OSD to 144Hz, 120Hz, or 100Hz; at 60Hz you can only select Standard response time speed. This also means that you cannot use FreeSync at the same time as the motion blur reduction technology.

Furthermore, selecting either Faster or Fastest modes decreases the monitor brightness and disallows you to manually adjust it. Luckily, the picture is bright enough even with the blur reduction mode turned on.

Alas, ghosting and black smearing is still visible in fast-paced games though it’s acceptable unless you mainly play competitive FPS games. In other genres, the motion blur isn’t bothersome which allows you to focus on the otherworldly visuals and enjoy the vibrant colors and true black shades.

At that price point I think it should still be a good buy. You can get an IPS monitors with similar specs (for example the Acer XF270HUA) for about the same price, but you would not get wide gamut support nor any possibility of HDR support.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Nov 21, 2018

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
How worried should I be about buying from Newegg and getting a dead pixel on a XB271HU? If I buy from Newegg and get a dead pixel right in the center, am I doomed to live with it?

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

TheFluff posted:

Don't have any experience with it but for a wide gamut 144Hz 1440p VA monitor that really is a very attractive price, and especially if you have an AMD GPU. A curved panel isn't really much of an advantage though on a regular 16:9 27" monitor, and I know some people don't like it.

HDR on PC is still in its infancy and kinda finicky the moment. Only a handful of games support it. Either way the HDR capability isn't stellar. 600 nits isn't super bright. More importantly though there seem to be a bunch of caveats to it - more specifically, you can't have both the advertised fast response time and HDR at the same time, and you can't have fast response time and variable framerate (freesync) at the same time either. 144hzmonitors writes:

At that price point I think it should still be a good buy. You can get an IPS monitors with similar specs (for example the Acer XF270HUA) for about the same price, but you would not get wide gamut support nor any possibility of HDR support.

Thanks for that, the link to the review was very helpful too. I have a GTX 1070 card and for the same price I could get this
Dell S2417DG which does have Gsync, but is a 24" monitor with a TF panel. Is Gsync really worth the premium?

Part of me is really leaning toward the bigger screen and the better panel, but not sure if I'll regret not getting Gsync.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Spaseman posted:

How worried should I be about buying from Newegg and getting a dead pixel on a XB271HU? If I buy from Newegg and get a dead pixel right in the center, am I doomed to live with it?

You know how if you clean your monitor, and then fullscreen a solid white image, you'll find a few more specks of dust you couldn't see before? That's what a dead pixel or two on a 1440p monitor is like, you will never notice it when you aren't actively looking for it on a solid white screen. That said, you probably won't have any dead pixels, they were mostly an issue with the early versions of the previous generation of that panel.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Is there a Second best monitor that doesn’t say Predator or like, Child Abductor or come with tribal tattoos on the bezel. Looking to upgrade from my HVSGU34FEFRGD5 Subway Masturbator.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Catzilla posted:

Thanks for that, the link to the review was very helpful too. I have a GTX 1070 card and for the same price I could get this
Dell S2417DG which does have Gsync, but is a 24" monitor with a TF panel. Is Gsync really worth the premium?

Part of me is really leaning toward the bigger screen and the better panel, but not sure if I'll regret not getting Gsync.

I'd say getting 27" 144Hz 1440p without G-sync is much preferable to anything else with G-sync you can get at that price point. If you want a similar monitor with G-sync, you need to shell out around £600 for the Acer XB271HU. Still though, with a 144Hz monitor the input lag effects from V-sync are significantly reduced compared to a 60Hz monitor. G-sync will still make for smoother motion if your GPU can't hit a consistent framerate, but I think you can easily go without it.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Strong Sauce posted:

Just pulled the trigger on this came out to $492 and change after taxes in CA

Make sure you buy the right one when you load into the app. I ended up saving it to my watchlist on my PC and then accessing it that way through the app. Also make sure to enter the code before you pay

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Any one have any thoughts about the Acer ED323QUR? After following the conversation last page or so it seems to fit all my needs along with falling within my budget. (I have a bunch of amazon fun-money to spend). It would mostly be used for gaming.

Only Slightly Bent
Jul 6, 2013

Wengy posted:

Sweet, it's actually 20% off in my country

I just did the same upgrade from a meh 1080p 60hz BenQ to an Acer XB271HU, and it's been completely worth it.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

net cafe scandal posted:

Is there a Second best monitor that doesn’t say Predator or like, Child Abductor or come with tribal tattoos on the bezel. Looking to upgrade from my HVSGU34FEFRGD5 Subway Masturbator.

I've got the AOC AG271QG which is basically the XB271HU but it says AGON instead of PREDATOR. It's red screenprint on black plastic and is basically invisible in my dark goonhole. The back is a matte red chevron but no barb wire pinstripes or anything like that.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

If anyone's interested, Amazon (US) has the UltraSharp U2715H for $329 right now. Mine just got delivered today, and it's a glorious step up from the Dell ST2421L that's been relegated to secondary monitor status. My only complaint now is that the color on the old 24" is absolutely horrid in comparison, and it's going to bug the hell out of me until I end up replacing it too.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Reminder that the PICKFAST code expires in less than ten minutes.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

monsterzero posted:

I've got the AOC AG271QG which is basically the XB271HU but it says AGON instead of PREDATOR. It's red screenprint on black plastic and is basically invisible in my dark goonhole. The back is a matte red chevron but no barb wire pinstripes or anything like that.

Yeah I was actually looking at that one. How do you like it? Build quality is ok, colors etc?

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy

net cafe scandal posted:

Yeah I was actually looking at that one. How do you like it? Build quality is ok, colors etc?

I've only had it two weeks but so far I'm really happy with it. I was coming from a 24" 1080p TV though, so it's immeasurably better in every regard.

The build quality is fine and the stand looked solid enough (but I'm using an arm.) No pixel defects and the color looks good to me, but I'm not to concerned with accuracy. The bottom right corner is a little brighter than the rest of the screen that's only noticeable if I'm looking for it on a solid black screen.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

How likely is it that either of those (Acer Predator XB271HU or AOC AG271QG) get discounted somewhere either tomorrow or Monday?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Suprfli6 posted:

How likely is it that either of those (Acer Predator XB271HU or AOC AG271QG) get discounted somewhere either tomorrow or Monday?

High. NewEgg will almost certainly run deals on one or both of them, and eBay, in their quest to remain relevant, is likely to run another X% off deal. Frys or MicroCenter are also worth checking out. Amazon might discount them, but they're usually less good about fantastic monitor deals.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

DrDork posted:

High. NewEgg will almost certainly run deals on one or both of them, and eBay, in their quest to remain relevant, is likely to run another X% off deal. Frys or MicroCenter are also worth checking out. Amazon might discount them, but they're usually less good about fantastic monitor deals.

Just a quick question, is the Asus ROG PG279Q also the same panel? (Its also a 1440p/165 Hz IPS w/gsync.)

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy

Indiana_Krom posted:

Just a quick question, is the Asus ROG PG279Q also the same panel? (Its also a 1440p/165 Hz IPS w/gsync.)

My understanding is yes, same panel.

DrDork posted:

My AOC was a NewEgg email deal ($499 sale price, with a $70 off email code) so I'd sign up and watch my inbox if they're not spamming you like crazy already.

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
(y - mx)*(1/(inf))*(PV/RT)*(2.718)*(V/I)
Looking for a square monitor.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Mofabio posted:

Looking for a square monitor.
Is 4:3 close enough? Do you also want it have good image quality?

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
(y - mx)*(1/(inf))*(PV/RT)*(2.718)*(V/I)

CopperHound posted:

Is 4:3 close enough? Do you also want it have good image quality?

12 4:3's would be enough, or 6 3:2's. It just needs to render images of shapes without any distortion.

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.
Looking for a 24-27" 1080 IPS with freesync for under £300/$400, any standout options?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dell-S2719...r-deals-5-&th=1 I assume this is too good to be true?

8 Ball fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Nov 22, 2018

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Anyone care to recommend me a 24'-ish 4k HDR monitor? Only really need 60 FPS, though more is nice if it isn't a huge price hike.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Spiritus Nox posted:

Anyone care to recommend me a 24'-ish 4k HDR monitor? Only really need 60 FPS, though more is nice if it isn't a huge price hike.

Pretty sure what you want doesn't exist at 24", but it does at 27": https://bit.ly/2DT5l8P

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
I've been wanting something a bit fancier than my decade old 24" ASUS panels. I'm assuming this PG278QR is a pretty okay deal at $450, but given that my wish list is basically a solid monitor for a gaming PC that's > 1080p, 27"+, GSync, and somewhere over 60Hz, is this one of my better options or am I likely to find better bang for my buck with a different model?