Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoodApollo
Jul 9, 2005

I upgraded a line a few days ago and the phone order is still showing “processing.” If I cancel it, is it possible to immediately reorder it (for store pick up this time, since I know they have it in stock)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
So uh, after that president text, my personal phone isn't working with data with at&t. I swapped the sim card to a Verizon one and it worked fine. The phone itself is a Verizon phone, but otherwise it had never been an issue until now. Any idea on what to do?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

seiferguy posted:

So uh, after that president text, my personal phone isn't working with data with at&t. I swapped the sim card to a Verizon one and it worked fine. The phone itself is a Verizon phone, but otherwise it had never been an issue until now. Any idea on what to do?

Hey I'm having that same issue. Thought it was my phone at first, but it follows the SIM.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Charles posted:

Hey I'm having that same issue. Thought it was my phone at first, but it follows the SIM.

Turns out there was an outage with AT&T in my area after the not-tweet. Other users in my area reported it as well.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

So, not to get into politics, but California passed that Net Neutrality bill (which also outlaws zero-rating). How long until I lose my Data Free DirecTV Now? Any word yet from inside AT&T? So far it was working alright for me to get cheaper satellite/cable when I don't have internet for poo poo out here.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

BeAuMaN posted:

So, not to get into politics, but California passed that Net Neutrality bill (which also outlaws zero-rating). How long until I lose my Data Free DirecTV Now? Any word yet from inside AT&T? So far it was working alright for me to get cheaper satellite/cable when I don't have internet for poo poo out here.

Eh, they’ll be lawsuits and such, so I’m not sure if it’ll be that clear cut.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight
OK, so I am trying to do the BOGO offer on the iPhone X by adding my partner onto my phone plan who currently has AT&T. I talked to one store rep where I will probably buy the phones and he said as long as my partner ports out to a prepaid carrier for 48 hours we can port it back into my account and get the offer, he said he confirmed with his documents that this is OK.

So today we were running some errands and swung by another AT&T corporate store so he could choose between iPhone XS and the iPhone XS Max and I tried to confirm with the reps that I could do the port out/port in thing from a prepaid phone and the rep acted like I was crazy and then another rep interrupted saying I could do that and it was 48 hours but it could not be Boast or MetroPCS specifically but Sprint or Verizon were fine. Cricket I get but Boast and MetroPCS?

Can anyone confirm this work because I don't want to waste time on it if he is going to have to get a new number anyways.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
By the paper rules AT&T has set up: that is considered a "winback" and will not qualify. Whether it will actually work despite that, I don't know, but if it was my money I wouldn't risk it.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Yeah, I’ve decided to just port the number out to Google Voice and do a new number, apparently I can safely port the number back after 60 days.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Three Olives posted:

Yeah, I’ve decided to just port the number out to Google Voice and do a new number, apparently I can safely port the number back after 60 days.

It’s really useful keeping your number on google voice anyway. I know it’s google, and they can always abandon it, but so far they have supported Voice pretty well, and it makes “getting a new number” in scenarios like this easier. The only downside is no iMessage, and I don’t find that to be a big deal.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Keep in mind that this isn’t my number, it’s my partners number and his eyes kind of glazed over when I tried to explain porting and Google Voice and how he was going to have two numbers. I’m just trying to make this as painless as possible.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Three Olives posted:

Keep in mind that this isn’t my number, it’s my partners number and his eyes kind of glazed over when I tried to explain porting and Google Voice and how he was going to have two numbers. I’m just trying to make this as painless as possible.

Ooooh yeah that makes more sense. Google voice both “isn’t hard,” but hard for most people. There’s a reason it hasn’t picked up in popularity.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
If I buy an unlocked S9 do I lose out on wifi calling, HD voice, etc? Supplemental question, if it's ~$200 cheaper, do I care about those things? Wifi calling I can understand the use of, but will I miss anything else?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Duckman2008 posted:

Wifi calling should handle both yes. When I had ATT, I lived in a super poor coverage area, and WiFi calling did the trick, but i guess it depends on your luck.

A microcell would also do the trick, it's just whether you're willing to purchase one when WiFi calling is free. Having coverage is worth the price, but usually WiFi calling does the same thing.
Wifi calling did indeed work. I had purchased an unlocked iPhone 8 and transferred my old SIM over, so I had to get a new SIM card first though.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

So U-Verse and Fiber TV and internet are completely down in the Dallas metro area because there was a fire at an AT&T data center and apparently AT&T has no backup for service in a metro area of 7.2 million people and everything went through this one building. :argh:

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Three Olives posted:

So U-Verse and Fiber TV and internet are completely down in the Dallas metro area because there was a fire at an AT&T data center and apparently AT&T has no backup for service in a metro area of 7.2 million people and everything went through this one building. :argh:

I’m not aware of any MSO/cable/consumer ISP that uses multiple headends for redundancy. Redundant fiber rings leaving out of different sides of the building, redundant equipment, redundant power with backup yes, but the cost of building a duplicate datacenter to service the last-mile infrastructure for a metro area tends to not make financial sense, especially since you’d need them to either be near each other and thus subject to the same natural disasters or spend a lot more on fiber builds for all the rings to hit data centers far apart. For regional or national services you’ll see multiple data centers, especially since they aren’t tied to the last mile so can be placed basically anywhere, but usually not metro headends.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Is there a DirecTV thread? I need an insider to either tell me what I want is just not possible or how to tell support to fix my account.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

If I have a XS on a Next plan and swap it for a different phone, obviously I still have to keep making the payments. But hypothetically if I stopped, what would happen? Would ATT tell Apple to blacklist the IMEI?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Josh Lyman posted:

If I have a XS on a Next plan and swap it for a different phone, obviously I still have to keep making the payments. But hypothetically if I stopped, what would happen? Would ATT tell Apple to blacklist the IMEI?

The only way to stop is to cancel your ATT service. Not sure if they blacklist the IMEI , but it’ll go on your credit report for sure, so def not advisable.

FYI the carriers now have a shared database on non usable IMEIs, so ATT would report it to that , not to Apple.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Duckman2008 posted:

The only way to stop is to cancel your ATT service. Not sure if they blacklist the IMEI , but it’ll go on your credit report for sure, so def not advisable.

FYI the carriers now have a shared database on non usable IMEIs, so ATT would report it to that , not to Apple.
I’m not thinking of bailing, but I’ve found myself in a weird situation where I may be trying to sell my XS that’s still on Next and buyers are asking whether it’s paid off, presumably for fear that the IMEI will be blacklisted.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
It can be used by other ATT subs before it’s paid off, but can’t be unlocked.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

I’m not thinking of bailing, but I’ve found myself in a weird situation where I may be trying to sell my XS that’s still on Next and buyers are asking whether it’s paid off, presumably for fear that the IMEI will be blacklisted.

Pay off your phone with a credit card, then pay the credit card with the sale proceeds.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.
I am going to Canada soon for a few days...usually when I travel to other countries I pick up a local SIM card for 20 bucks and it works great. But apparently Canada is worse than the US when it comes to cheap prepaid SIM cards so it's cheaper to just pay your US carrier for roaming. But, I don't want to do that because I pay AT&T enough money.

Has anyone had success with chatting or calling AT&T support and mention the upcoming travel and note that T-Mobile gives free international data, and threaten to drop AT&T because of that? I figure they might give me free international data for X months if I am nice.

I am contract free and I have no intention of actually switching but they don't know that.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
The newer unlimited plans include free Canada roaming

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Interesting, I didn't know about those. So I pay for a 40GB share plan at $141.00/mo for 3 devices. That includes a super old 19% discount from a job I had years ago. Apparently I can get the Unlimited & More Premium plan for 3 devices for $170. I assume that is before the 19% off? So the price should come down to ~$137?

Is that possible? Seems like it's $4 cheaper and I get more features like TV I won't watch and HBO I might watch.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
No work discounts on Unlimited unless you’re AT&T/Time Warner or military.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
I figured it was too good to be true. Thanks.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

I got a tip in another thread that it may be possible to get an unlimited data plan for an ipad and swap it into a mobile hotspot. However, I'm coming across some reddit posts from around 8 months ago suggesting this was no longer possible. Did they close this loophole?

While I was digging I saw an offer for fixed wireless, 60/m for 170GB, but it says available in select rural areas? I'm in a rural area with 4G ATT coverage, is there some arbitrary reason it would be available elswhere but not here?

e: Even weirder, if I claim my address as a business, suddenly I'm in the service area, but the terms are 60/m for 50GB or 100/m for 100GB. :shrug:

NofrikinfuN fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Nov 14, 2018

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

I'm currently on the unlimited plus 1 line plan, would I actually be saving money if I switched to the new unlimited and more one?

And would I lose my discount with DirecTV since the sign up promotion was for unlimited plus members? The discount basically extended the 45$ select plan to the full 2 year contract instead of just the first year.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
Long shot time.

As of yesterday, I'm not receiving MMS messages on my iPhone XR. My work monitoring (Nagios) sends alerts to mynumber@mms.att.net, and it's worked fine for months. Now, all those messages only show up after power cycling my phone.

I called AT&T and Apple, and opened tickets with both. ETA for an answer: 48 hours. Meanwhile, I'm missing all sorts of alerts for work, which is loving up my life.

I got my new XR 3 weeks ago, and I traded in my old iPhone6, which I sent by mail. My old iPhone was received and processed for the return this week, which I think is more than a coincidence. AT&T support checked my IMEI on their end is my new phone, and that's about all I got from over an hour on the phone with them.

Anyone got any bright ideas how to troubleshoot? The fact that I do receive the MMS messages when I power cycle my phone seems like significant detail, but I don't have enough knowledge about this stuff to really know what to do with that info.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
Have you tried resetting your network settings?

Apple posted:

Go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings. This also resets Wi-Fi networks and passwords, cellular settings, and VPN and APN settings that you've used before.

I had a weird issue like that with a 6s and resetting network settings cleared it up. Granted this was on Verizon but I would imagine the same would apply to ATT.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

Yep, already tried resetting network settings, and problem did not go away.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Try getting a new SIM card from a store.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

My XR doesn't have a SIM card... do I request a new eSIM?

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Have you tried turning iMessage off and back on again? Sometimes signing back in will clear up messaging issues.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Alfajor posted:

My XR doesn't have a SIM card... do I request a new eSIM?

If you're on AT&T it does have a SIM card. AT&T doesn't support eSIM.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Don’t all the carriers use SIM cards now? And none of the big US carriers are using the ESIM there yet.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Dave posted:

Don’t all the carriers use SIM cards now? And none of the big US carriers are using the ESIM there yet.

This is correct. eSIM will launch for carriers over the next 6 months, but SIM cards rule the day currently.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Sort of related but I've been on Sprint (now on Fi) so I still don't full understand GSM SIM cards. The girlfriend finally ordered a Pixel 3 after having a Galaxy S5 since like mid 2014. Will I be able to pop her old SIM in her new phone or are we gonna need to make a trip to AT&T?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
G5 has microsim instead of nano so yep ATT store