Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

No, the interpretation here is that Chaffee Would Have Won.

need to see the metrics for this one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
The electoral college is loving bogus and has absolutely no place in a modern society.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Screaming Idiot posted:

The electoral college is loving bogus and has absolutely no place in a modern society.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Screaming Idiot posted:

Lock up the 2016 electors for treason

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out
Opposing democracy to own the libs

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
I'm not saying the polular vote shouldn't be how the presidential election is decided, I'm saying it isn't and it realistically never will be.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I'm not saying the polular vote shouldn't be how the presidential election is decided, I'm saying it isn't and it realistically never will be.

Maybe if a constitutional amendment got rid of the Electoral College but replaced it with equivalent vote multipliers, it could pass. Instead of a popular vote amendment with red states against it, it'd be blue states and red states ganging up on the swing states. Such an amendment would also get rid of the House being the tiebreaker in the event a presidential candidate fails to obtain a majority of electoral votes.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

the amendment process itself is based off of a majority of states rather than population, so we're completely stuck with the constitution as-is until we decide to completely replace the entire thing, which won't happen without blood

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
mods please move this thread to d&d tia

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Typo posted:

this is objectively wrong though, she got 48% or so of the votes if she had 50% + 1 vote she would have won
lol wtf is this??

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.

bawfuls posted:

lol wtf is this??

it's d&d pedantry

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

The most realistic chance of it happening in the foreseeable future would be the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact, but all the big blue states have already passed it and it's going to be a much tougher sell elsewhere. But hey, maybe in a blue wave year enough states would be willing to climb on board.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Popular_Vote_Interstate_Compact

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Not with that attitude it won't :d2a:

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!
The midterms are essentially over and this thread has devolved into a bunch of stupid opinions it's time to close it

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

it aint over til the last house race is called!

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
this thread is simply a preview of the Horrors to come when the primaries start up

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

logikv9 posted:

this thread is simply a preview of the Horrors to come when the primaries start up

the primaries started two weeks ago

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Typo posted:

a democrat would have won 2008 no matter what, the extent of democratic victory had more to do with iraq war and great recession than obama's personal appeal

candidate quality is prob like 1-2 points or something so yeah in a really close election in matters but what amounts to rng generated events you have no influence over as a nom like

-does stock mkt crash within 12 month of an election
-terrist attack (brown or white attacker?)
-cultural war issue X event (KAVANAUGH DRINKS BEER)
-does Kim/Xi/whatever foreign leader do something crazy
-CARAVAN

all probably have similar if not greater effect than who you choose to run, candidate choice is largely illusion of control as far as electoral outcomes in national elections are concerned

could a better candidate than hillary won 2016? prob, but it's the difference between a narrow victory and a narrow loss. It's never the situation where X would win by 10 points against [Democrat|Republican incumbent] while Y would have lost it by 10 points
remember how ppl thought gillum (progressive) vs nelson (centrist) was some great contest between appeal of left-wing vs moderate centrist candidates?

then they both lost by about the same amount?

partisanship uber alles.

A quality candidate could have blown Trump the gently caress out in 2016.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Like, a first term or "theoretically legal third term" Obama would have won by a bigly margin, and I'm not sure how anyone would even begin to construct an argument against that.

Btw I'm leaving Bernie out because I know you'll melt down if someone suggests he also would have won (he would have).

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Vox Nihili posted:

A quality candidate could have blown Trump the gently caress out in 2016.

Seriously. I actually think just a "not historically terrible" candidate would have Trump BTFO in 2016. Everyone made a big deal about how trumps overall favorability numbers were the worst ever for a incoming presidential candidate, but Hillary was the second worst. I think she was literally just like 3 points better than him on favorability while herself being like 9 points worse than the third worst candidate (who I believe was also named Clinton).

One of my big worries is that the Democrat establishment and primary voters basically decide:, "what if 2016 campaign, but not Hillary??" They run with it, (prob Booker or Biden) win 2020, fail to change or fix anything, and the republicans come back in 4-8 years with a semi competent, non-sundowning fascist.

They really need to make it clear in the primary\general that they have learned some kind of lesson beyond "don't run an incompetent charisma vacuum"

and yes, I know I shouldn't sign my posts

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

bernie would have beat trump in a blowout at least as big as obama's against mccain

an obama third term vs trump would have won by like 15 percentage points

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Screaming Idiot posted:

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
literally any other candidate would have beaten trump in 2016

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

lmao trump would have beaten literally anyone except Joe Biden

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Anyway, moving away from the brief bout of D&D, it's happening in CA (media all called this race for the GOP candidate weeks ago):

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
John Kerry or Al Gore would have gotten Obama sized wins.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

One More Fat Nerd posted:

John Kerry or Al Gore would have gotten Obama sized wins.

:laffo::laffo::laffo: oh my god

edit: a whole lotta jebs in this thread who think you can just Jeb! your way to victory

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005

Billzasilver posted:

lmao trump would have beaten literally anyone except Joe Biden
____________/

Nov 8, 2016

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

VROOM VROOM posted:

____________/

Nov 8, 2016

Hahaha the loving reg date, Jesus.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Imagine having a gigantic racist toddler in the most powerful position in the world single handedly take down the economy. I mean poo poo last time it took the entire financial sector being idiots to do it last time and this motherfucker did it by himself

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

logikv9 posted:

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

You, an idiot: the midterms are over!

Me, a politics genius:

https://twitter.com/Taniel/status/1065428045274759169

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

brugroffil posted:

Me, a politics genius:

Coin toss PTSD kicking in

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

brugroffil posted:

Me, a politics genius:

wait...this piss brained state does coin tosses instead of run-off elections? :psyduck:

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Billzasilver posted:

wait...this piss brained state does coin tosses instead of run-off elections? :psyduck:

It's an entire state full of intensely weird white people and the natives who wish they could kill them. Of course it's decided by a coin toss.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Serf posted:

imagine getting owned for 2 years straight and then teleporting back in like you're king poo poo of turd mountain lmaoooo

he's been around, just stuck to posting dumb anticommunist tripe before

Serf
May 5, 2011

R. Guyovich posted:

he's been around, just stuck to posting dumb anticommunist tripe before

yep, and each time he's dared to post his bullshit he gets owned

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

And yet in MN this cycle, the shitstain GOP governor candidate who everyone hates lost bigly to the best retail politician in the state.

Candidate quality is absolutely critical.

GOP got owned in statewide races because Hennepin county is full of people who hate Trump like poison and turnout was heavy. Minneapolis saved Keith Ellison's rear end and broke the "Red Minnesota" plan for the foreseeable future.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
See Republicans are loving monsters who want to do evil things and centrist Clinton decorum dems all have this fantasy where all they have to do in an election is go "Sir, have you no DECENCY?" and their opponent will go "aaaaah I'm defeated!" and melt into some kind of ooze but in real life that poo poo doesn't work and the Republican just goes puppet you're the puppet or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

Zeroisanumber posted:

GOP got owned in statewide races because Hennepin county is full of people who hate Trump like poison and turnout was heavy. Minneapolis saved Keith Ellison's rear end and broke the "Red Minnesota" plan for the foreseeable future.

Ah, yes, the noted Minneapolis neighborhoods of Inver Grove Heights and Dellwood.