Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Lightning Knight posted:

What concerns me is that we're currently seeing challenges to Nancy Pelosi from the right. It failed because Blue Dogs are a joke, but if there were more of them it might actually be a serious problem. And imo, more suburbanite support for Democrats means more Blue Dogs.

I'm not saying I don't want their votes (I guess, I mean I would rather they didn't vote R at least), I'm just saying it's probably a double-edged sword.

Yeah, fair enough. I think any situation in which we see significant gains in Blue Dogs, we're also likely to see some gains in DSA-like candidates, but having a Blue Dog speaker would be atrocious.

e:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarcastr0
May 29, 2013

WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE BILLIONAIRES ?!?!?

Not a Step posted:

Anyone willing to persevere through the byzantine court system probably has a pretty good argument. Its definitely survivor bias, but what is this guy's point?

The joke is more that the 9th is an appellate court so...

AntifaSupersoldier
Jul 30, 2003

Reality is what you can get away with
Hell Gem

lifetime supply of Pocky posted:

My favorite sub-genre of Dems Bad posting is the kind that predicts a far-future Dems Bad moment and uses that unfalsifiable clairvoyance as bait in order to pull out the same re-runs over and over and over and over and over and over

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

This is of... questionable taste.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Lightning Knight posted:

I'm torn on whether to respond "of course not, they're probably shredding as many documents as they can find" and "maybe Trump is dumb enough to record himself all the time like Nixon did..."

^ See I disagree because I see the surge of suburban support for Dems as a harbinger of bad things in our electoral future, not good. Suburbanites are terrible. I grew up in the suburbs too man, it's bad.

I mean, as someone who grew up in the projects, moved to the suburbs, went to school with an even mix, and has taught students from both I would agree that not only are suburbs bad but their children are demons.

I'm just not sure how that's an electoral problem.

You and I vote Democrat. Persons X and Y vote Republican.
Person Y does something that offends Person X so much that they come to our side and vote Democrat.
Four years later Person Y is gone and Person X votes Republican again.

We haven't actually lost out on anything as long as we don't significantly compromise ourselves to appease Person X in the short term. The only problem is if Person X asks me to do something and I agree and that pisses you off to go away. Right? So like... don't give them the more moderate Speaker. Don't drop social issues and gun control to appease to "economically anxious" voters. Don't abandon our values or stop trying to appeal to our base. And if and when the "NeverTrumpers" jump ship it will be a loss but not one that actually sets us back.

I was maybe a LITTLE concerned about it with the Speaker fight but that really didn't turn out to be anything so I'm good and if anything kind of reassured with how much folks on the left like AOC didn't take the bait and Pelosi dealt with the folks on the right without seeming to actually give up anything.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Crow Jane posted:

I don't know if they'll make a thing of it (as you said, the guy broke a TON of laws to get there), but the Sentinelese are fascinating as hell, from what little is known about them https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sentinelese

quote:

pre-Neolithic

:stare: They've been on that island for 12,000+ years?

quote:

As the bodies of people killed by the Islanders have been found, it's been determined they do not practice cannibalism.

Well at least it's not a Cannibal Holocaust situation.

Edit:

quote:

In early 1974, a National Geographic film crew went to the island with a team of anthropologists to film a documentary, Man in Search of Man. They were accompanied by armed police officers with sufficient protection. When the motorboat broke through the barrier reefs, the locals emerged from the jungle and discharged arrows at the boat. They landed at a safe-point on the coast and gifts in the forms of a miniature plastic car, some coconuts, a live pig, a doll, and aluminum cookware were left in the sand.[31] The Sentinelese followed up by launching another round of arrows, one of which struck the documentary director in his thigh. The man who wounded the director withdrew to the shade of a tree and laughed proudly while others speared and then buried the pig and the doll. Afterwards, they left, taking with them the coconuts and aluminium cookware.

Violator fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Nov 21, 2018

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1065346909362143232

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Doh.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

this guy fuckin rules

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

STAC Goat posted:

We haven't actually lost out on anything as long as we don't significantly compromise ourselves to appease Person X in the short term. The only problem is if Person X asks me to do something and I agree and that pisses you off to go away. Right? So like... don't give them the more moderate Speaker. Don't drop social issues and gun control to appease to "economically anxious" voters. Don't abandon our values or stop trying to appeal to our base. And if and when the "NeverTrumpers" jump ship it will be a loss but not one that actually sets us back.

I was maybe a LITTLE concerned about it with the Speaker fight but that really didn't turn out to be anything so I'm good and if anything kind of reassured with how much folks on the left like AOC didn't take the bait and Pelosi dealt with the folks on the right without seeming to actually give up anything.

The thing is that I'm not convinced the "don't drop social issues and gun control" thing won't happen. Third Way has been pushing that since Trump won. People in this thread were making that argument the day after the midterms. The push for that definitely exists, and it scares me.

The prospect of a hypothetical successful Blue Dog leadership coup scares me even more. Blue Dogs should stay a joke.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Brian Higgins signed the anti-Pelosi letter and now says he will support Pelosi.

We haven't stolen the 9th circuit yet :qq:

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

I mean, as someone who grew up in the projects, moved to the suburbs, went to school with an even mix, and has taught students from both I would agree that not only are suburbs bad but their children are demons.

I'm just not sure how that's an electoral problem.

You and I vote Democrat. Persons X and Y vote Republican.
Person Y does something that offends Person X so much that they come to our side and vote Democrat.
Four years later Person Y is gone and Person X votes Republican again.

Congrats, you identified the problem.

“For every blue-collar Democrat we lose in western Pennsylvania, we will pick up two moderate Republicans in the suburbs in Philadelphia, and you can repeat that in Ohio and Illinois and Wisconsin.”

The Democrats will look for any excuse to appeal to the right, and picking up Republican converts in the suburbs is an enormous signal flare they they gotta get more racist and cut taxes even harder.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/AmbJohnBolton/status/1065313120594186241

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
The mask slipped here:
https://twitter.com/felipejan100/status/1065316783828144129

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Ahaha the President is "Sorry, no sorrying" the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court on Twitter, jesus christ

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Lightning Knight posted:

The thing is that I'm not convinced the "don't drop social issues and gun control" thing won't happen. Third Way has been pushing that since Trump won. People in this thread were making that argument the day after the midterms. The push for that definitely exists, and it scares me.

The prospect of a hypothetical successful Blue Dog leadership coup scares me even more. Blue Dogs should stay a joke.

It scares me as a possibility of something out there that COULD happen, like in the same way that I worry I could slip in the shower. But they didn't do it in 2018 so I don't see any reason why they'd do in leading to 2020. The argument I made when people pushed it last time in this thread was that if the Democrats had a big victory with tons of upsets running on this platform in 2018 it would be political malfeasance for them to suddenly turn right for 2020 against Trump. It doesn't mean its an impossible thing to happen but I need more evidence than "Chuck Schumer agreed to let through some judges who were gonna get through anyway" or "Nancy Pelosi made vague promises to be a bi partisan Speaker" before I really get worried. That stuff's just day to day ball.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Nazi likes other Nazi go figure

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
John Roberts has made his decision, now let him tweet it.

https://twitter.com/Redistrict/status/1065289237011025921

Ague Proof fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Nov 21, 2018

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

STAC Goat posted:

It scares me as a possibility of something out there that COULD happen, like in the same way that I worry I could slip in the shower. But they didn't do it in 2018 so I don't see any reason why they'd do in leading to 2020. The argument I made when people pushed it last time in this thread was that if the Democrats had a big victory with tons of upsets running on this platform in 2018 it would be political malfeasance for them to suddenly turn right for 2020 against Trump. It doesn't mean its an impossible thing to happen but I need more evidence than "Chuck Schumer agreed to let through some judges who were gonna get through anyway" or "Nancy Pelosi made vague promises to be a bi partisan Speaker" before I really get worried. That stuff's just day to day ball.

I hope that you're right, I honestly do.

Ague Proof posted:

John Roberts has made his decision, now let him tweet it.

:golfclap: New thread title.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Not a Step posted:

Congrats, you identified the problem.

“For every blue-collar Democrat we lose in western Pennsylvania, we will pick up two moderate Republicans in the suburbs in Philadelphia, and you can repeat that in Ohio and Illinois and Wisconsin.”

The Democrats will look for any excuse to appeal to the right, and picking up Republican converts in the suburbs is an enormous signal flare they they gotta get more racist and cut taxes even harder.

But like, that's a quote from July 2016, BEFORE Trump beat Hillary and before the 2018 Blue Wave of progressive candidates and red district upsets without such a compromise on the platform. So why should I put more stock in that quote than I do in what has happened for the 2 and a half years since then? Its possible they'll still try and do it, but the tide is going the other way.

Besides, you and I are talking about two completely different things. You're talking about making a deliberate turn right to appeal to Republican voters. I'm talking about "moderates" who have come left because of Trump. Let them in. Accept their votes. Don't give them anything unless they have leverage. I hope they don't get enough leverage to get something but like... what's the alternative? You rather they go Republican?

AntifaSupersoldier
Jul 30, 2003

Reality is what you can get away with
Hell Gem

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Nazi likes other Nazi go figure
https://www.timesofisrael.com/zionist-organization-of-america-gives-john-bolton-defender-of-israel-award/

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
John Roberts, welcome to the #resistance

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

STAC Goat posted:

But like, that's a quote from July 2016, BEFORE Trump beat Hillary and before the 2018 Blue Wave of progressive candidates and red district upsets without such a compromise on the platform. So why should I put more stock in that quote than I do in what has happened for the 2 and a half years since then? Its possible they'll still try and do it, but the tide is going the other way.

My goodness....dude have you seen Schumer's quotes since? He's still beating the same drum.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

Besides, you and I are talking about two completely different things. You're talking about making a deliberate turn right to appeal to Republican voters. I'm talking about "moderates" who have come left because of Trump. Let them in. Accept their votes. Don't give them anything unless they have leverage. I hope they don't get enough leverage to get something but like... what's the alternative? You rather they go Republican?

Let them in, accept their votes, step on their necks the moment they express any desire for more conservative anything, step on their representative's necks the moment they include them in 'their constituents'.

They haven't 'become left', they're temporarily embarrassed moderates. They're basically Reagan Republican Obama, and we can't take another one of him.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Joke's on them, my insurance didn't pay for my CPAP at all so there's no benefits to deny, so I don't care if they monitor me!

:smith:

Darn it Lucky Duck!

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

STAC Goat posted:

I hope they don't get enough leverage to get something but like... what's the alternative? You rather they go Republican?

Of course. Purity of progressive thought and language is far more important than ever actually weilding political power to accomplish anything. Are you new around here or something?

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Glumslinger posted:

John Roberts, welcome to the #resistance

🍩 🍩 🍩

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

predicto posted:

Of course. Purity of progressive thought and language is far more important than ever actually weilding political power to accomplish anything. Are you new around here or something?

oh my god you people never shut up.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Not a Step posted:

Anyone willing to persevere through the byzantine court system probably has a pretty good argument. Its definitely survivor bias, but what is this guy's point?

The supreme court takes very few cases. The ones they take its either because they think the case is wrong, or because two different circuits have come to different conclusions. That means on the supreme court takes a case it has a good chance of being overruled in the first place. So the reality is many of the decisions by the ninth circuit court of appeals that are reviewed by the Supreme Court are overturned. But those cases make up a minuscule amount of the actual cases decided by the ninth circuit court of appeals in any given year. I think there are other circuits that have a worse rate of cases being overturned

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

sexpig by night posted:

I'm genuinely curious if Trump/Pence will try to make a thing out of this

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/21/asia/andaman-nicobar-us-missionary-killed-intl/index.html

Basically a missionary broke tons of local laws to visit some extremely isolated 17 person tribe off India's coasts to ~preach~ to them and got owned with a bow and arrow. It's the most western story we've had in years and I've already seen some people trying to spin this as 'SAVAGE TRIBE MURDERS INNOCENT MISSIONARY'

fucker deserved it, don't break the Prime Directive uncontacted tribe cordon

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

predicto posted:

when you have no higher goal than "accomplish something," the people who have actual policy goals they're working towards will take you to the cleaners every time.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

predicto posted:

Yes and letting any old moron into the Democratic party regardless of economic beliefs gets you a Republican law enforcement plan + a Republican foreign policy + a Republican healthcare plan + a Republican economic policy + a rapidly rising tide of fascism.

We tried it your way. It didn't work.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

xrunner posted:

The supreme court takes very few cases. The ones they take its either because they think the case is wrong, or because two different circuits have come to different conclusions. That means on the supreme court takes a case it has a good chance of being overruled in the first place. So the reality is many of the decisions by the ninth circuit court of appeals that are reviewed by the Supreme Court are overturned. But those cases make up a minuscule amount of the actual cases decided by the ninth circuit court of appeals in any given year. I think there are other circuits that have a worse rate of cases being overturned

Yes thank you for defining survivor bias for me

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

xrunner posted:

They also take cases that further the conservative agenda.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

GreyjoyBastard posted:

fucker deserved it, don't break the Prime Directive uncontacted tribe cordon

Especially when basically all that's known about that tribe is that they're really good at shooting arrows at busybodies, and have been practicing doing so for millennia

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

My goodness....dude have you seen Schumer's quotes since? He's still beating the same drum.

I'm not a fan of his, but again, I'm less concerned with the bipartisan rhetoric as I am the actual actions and strategies. We're talking about whether the Democrats are going to steer right for votes and it doesn't seem terrible relavent to bring up a 2016 quote that threatens one thing when 2018 went the other way.

Which like doesn't even get into what actually motivated those voters Schumer was talking about. Because its moot at this stage unless we're talking about what we do moving forward.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Clunk Tap It posted:

Germany earned that forgiveness by acknowledging Hitler was a mistake and making being a Nazi a crime.
The level of historical revisionism present in this utterly delusional take is frankly mind-boggling.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Yes and letting any old moron into the Democratic party regardless of economic beliefs gets you a Republican law enforcement plan + a Republican foreign policy + a Republican healthcare plan + a Republican economic policy + a rapidly rising tide of fascism.

We tried it your way. It didn't work.

No, that was triangulation by idiot Dems to try to appeal to Republicans and get them to switch. That didn't work, and the party kept trying to be Conservative Lite. Republicans switching to being Dems but lovely should result in a stronger Democratic party because it'll be easier to win elections. The only problem is when the leadership shifts right, which has always been the problem anyway.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
It took him 18 minutes to finish the thought.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1065351478347530241

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

predicto posted:

What if the things you accomplish kill people or actively make things worse for them?

Purity may be silly, but so is complete disengagement from anything approaching values to simply go "moderation".