Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feller
Jul 5, 2006

I would eat any of those op thanks

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

It's hard to make out what any of those are but I'd eat all of them. Went to a South American restaurant just last week and it was good stuff.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
Do they got those for other continents?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I mean, I know that the Department of Homeland Security has an announcement with a 14 word title starting with "We must secure the". It's just that those same assholes were doing mostly the exact same thing under Obama, with a tiiiny bit less leeway in what they could get away with. Russia is scoring free points on things America is doing, and what Russia itself is doing wrt Ukraine is utterly irrelevant in that context.
I still wouldn't call the American government fascist. Increasingly authoritarian, racist as hell, being increasingly more accepting of fascists, shits all over a lot of people as it always has, and has thoroughly fascist institutions grabbing every chance to seize more power, yes.

Platystemon posted:

Serious question:

How do you feel about calling Heer soldiers who weren’t registered party members “Nazis”?

By serious question you mean lousy attempt at a gotcha, right?

Grape posted:

*in tiny cartoon mouse voices*

Serbia: fuk u america!!!

Except that particular vote isn't about America at all. The Croatian government has been recently making steps toward pushing the narrative of the WW2 extermination camp at Jasenovac as actually being a "spa and school" for Serbian, Jewish, and Romani children, and joining this resolution is cheap political points for our government since Croatia has to show a unified will with the EU or else.
Our government's historical narrative is usually all about ye grande victory of WW1 when we managed to beat back the guys who fought a genocidal war against us (which, hey, true, but, uh) and how we should live up to the glory of our ancestors who asked for nothing and gave their everything to the nation and ARE FREEDOMS. WW2 is mostly for chest-thumping for about a week before anything involving diplomacy with Russia, or when Croatian politicians go maximum swastika. There's some unpleasant stuff about fighting fascists in WW2 around which our government loves to tip-toe around. I'm sick and tired of people pointing fingers at someone else and screaming "THEY ARE FASCISTS WHO HATE US!!!!! WE (and that "we" is always a fun one, and so is the "they" built around it) need to set all other differences aside and unite together to stand against this threat!".

To give you a tiny example of what I mean (although I can certainly provide many, many more), during the big nationwide protests last year, in Novi Sad there was some Jewish marxist (I think he was a Trot, but I'm not sure) who was giving a speech about the detereorating healthcare (as far as speeches go, it was a good one), and one of the liberal leaders forced him to stop the speech. When, after that day's protest, the liberals were asked by marxists and anarchists to explain what the gently caress that was all about, the guy who pushed the marxist aside gave an explanation that was mostly "look, guys, all of us here can agree that the government is evil, I call them fascist, of course we can talk about needing more social justice, but we need the good nationalists to help us do something about the government, and let's be serious, you commies bringing a red flag and talking about capitalism is already pushing it a bit and that guy is, you know, kind of being a bit of a bad stereotype, if you catch my drift". Or at least that's the general gist of it, he never got to explain it fully because an anarchist got fed up with it and kicked him in the balls.

(As an aside, when they weren't making speeches, the liberals there never, ever shut the gently caress up about Harry Potter, it was getting incredibly creepy. And punctuated by constant moaning about people's grammar.)

steinrokkan posted:

All the liberal, democratic countries with good human rights records in the green segment made me convinced this was a good faith resolution.

Meeeeeeeh. There's a bunch of UN votes that are basically "US votes one thing, Europe abstains, almost everyone else on Earth votes the opposite". There's a certain level of supervillainy USA likes to maintain in the UN, NATO and friends can't refuse to play along, and everyone else can join in on a mostly symbolic "gently caress you". Looking at these over the long term, there's a fun bit of diplomacy visible between Serbia and Ukraine which usually involves being very careful not to step on each-other's toes regarding words like "independence".

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

my dad posted:

Meeeeeeeh. There's a bunch of UN votes that are basically "US votes one thing, Europe abstains, almost everyone else on Earth votes the opposite". There's a certain level of supervillainy USA likes to maintain in the UN, NATO and friends can't refuse to play along, and everyone else can join in on a mostly symbolic "gently caress you". Looking at these over the long term, there's a fun bit of diplomacy visible between Serbia and Ukraine which usually involves being very careful not to step on each-other's toes regarding words like "independence".

It was a sarcastic remark. The green countries include all the luminaries like China, KSA, Sudan, Eritrea, the Philippines... who only voted on the resolution because they had no stake in it, unlike the countries abstaining / opposed.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

steinrokkan posted:

It was a sarcastic remark. The green countries include all the luminaries like China, KSA, Sudan, Eritrea, the Philippines... who only voted on the resolution because they had no stake in it, unlike the countries abstaining / opposed.

I know. I tried to point out that the Russian proposal being in good or bad faith had nothing to do with the end result of the vote, either.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

So it's possibly some part of these points that's the wrinkle with this one.

quote:

Expresses deep concern about the glorification, in any form, of the Nazi movement, neo-Nazism and former members of the Waffen SS organization, including by erecting monuments and memorials and holding public demonstrations in the name of the glorification of the Nazi past, the Nazi movement and neo Nazism, as well as by declaring or attempting to declare such members and those who fought against the anti-Hitler coalition and collaborated with the Nazi movement participants in national liberation movements;

quote:

Expresses concern about recurring attempts to desecrate or demolish monuments erected in remembrance of those who fought against Nazism during the Second World War, as well as to unlawfully exhume or remove the remains of such persons, and in this regard urges States to fully comply with their relevant obligations, inter alia, under article 34 of Additional Protocol I to the Geneva Conventions of 1949;

Anyway, the resolution mentions skinheads alot. Are we in the 80/90s? There's plenty of fascists/neo-nazis around, but I don't really think they are doing the skinhead things still.

e: Also Jesus Christ the language used in those resolutions. I've never really heard "Anti-Hitler Coalition" used before either, though I would guess that's a leftover UN thing from the langauge when it was established maybe, or there's something wrong or ambiguous about using "the Allies".

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Nov 21, 2018

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I would vote against any resolution that tarnished the good name of skinheads, a subculture founded by Jamaican rude boys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqEm2xYaemc

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Nov 21, 2018

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Grape posted:

Do they got those for other continents?

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

my dad posted:

I mean, I know that the Department of Homeland Security has an announcement with a 14 word title starting with "We must secure the". It's just that those same assholes were doing mostly the exact same thing under Obama, with a tiiiny bit less leeway in what they could get away with. Russia is scoring free points on things America is doing, and what Russia itself is doing wrt Ukraine is utterly irrelevant in that context.
I still wouldn't call the American government fascist. Increasingly authoritarian, racist as hell, being increasingly more accepting of fascists, shits all over a lot of people as it always has, and has thoroughly fascist institutions grabbing every chance to seize more power, yes.

Really I'm increasingly convinced fascism as a vital intellectual and political movement only existed from 1919-1945, and practically every movement outside that frame is something else. Trump has much more in common with the petty caudillos of 19th century Latin American history than he does the revolutionary corporatist and militarist ideology of folks like Mussolini. A lot of the schemas people use to identify modern fascists like Umberto Eco's ur-Fascism have no basis in empiricism and are thus unverifiable. His list of 14 features is so vague it can be applied to literally anything and everybody. I even remember some American conservatives using it to call Obama supporters fascists.

The only modern groups I feel comfortable identifying as fascists are those who explicitly identify as fascists and recycle specific ideas traceable to the early 20th century fascist leaders, and nothing else.

For example I think its a mistake to always conflate traditional American white supremacy with fascism, as their intellectual and political movement long predates that of fascists and differs substantially from them in its positions vis a vis capitalism. Admittedly as these groups have become increasingly marginal there has been convergence and blurring at the margins, but its far from complete.

Today fascist basically just means BAD MAN in normal discourse and nothing else. Of course in normal political discourse its fine and useful to associate these groups together, its just pointless to intellectualize the connection.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Randarkman posted:

I've never really heard "Anti-Hitler Coalition" used before either, though I would guess that's a leftover UN thing from the langauge when it was established maybe, or there's something wrong or ambiguous about using "the Allies".

First thing I thought of was excluding the Republic of China.

cugel
Jan 22, 2010

Lol, I had some Kig ha farz for supper today.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

lol how in the gently caress is Falafel Israeli.

In Cyprus they call Kibbeh "Koopa" and I always imagine a little cartoon turtle popping it's head out of it. :shobon:
Souvla done right is insanely good btw. My bro in laws make that poo poo right.

Grape fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Nov 21, 2018

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

I'm the landlocked Shrimp Cocktail

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Cheddar Cheese Apple Pie is a real thing and its not nearly as disgusting as it sounds

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Grape posted:

lol how in the gently caress is Falafel Israeli.

Because they eat it there. For a lot of that stuff I don't think it will make sense if you approach it as "this is where this dish originally comes from". I assure you someone probably thought of meatballs before the Swedes did.

Israelis largely eat the same type of food as the countries around them, is that really that surprising or offensive? The thing that really sets them apart is how you can't get a goddamn cheeseburger.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Randarkman posted:

Because they eat it there. For a lot of that stuff I don't think it will make sense if you approach it as "this is where this dish originally comes from". I assure you someone probably thought of meatballs before the Swedes did.

Israelis largely eat the same type of food as the countries around them, is that really that surprising or offensive? The thing that really sets them apart is how you can't get a goddamn cheeseburger.

In almost every case the dishes are native or at least in some sort of localized variation. It's not even a special Israeli variation, it's literally just "Falafel".
I trust I don't need to explain why this is super controversial in the context of Israel yes?

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Grape posted:

In almost every case the dishes are native or at least in some sort of localized variation. It's not even a special Israeli variation, it's literally just "Falafel".
I trust I don't need to explain why this is super controversial in the context of Israel yes?

uh Melbourne got "Dim Sum" so I don't think this is true

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Squalid posted:

uh Melbourne got "Dim Sum" so I don't think this is true

Actually Melbourne got "Dim Sim". Dim Sum is in China.

My beef is that Nova Scotia has "Pictou County Pizza" instead of the obvious Donair or less obvious Garlic Fingers.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

lmao at "funeral potatoes" in Utah

Also Montenegro (and probably a bunch of other smaller countries i didn't check for) is missing. I'd nominate priganice, fried dough balls you eat with ham, honey or "kajmak", sort of a creamy cheese. They are absolutely amazing and one of the best reasons to visit there again soon :allears:

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Count Roland posted:

Actually Melbourne got "Dim Sim". Dim Sum is in China.

My beef is that Nova Scotia has "Pictou County Pizza" instead of the obvious Donair or less obvious Garlic Fingers.

huh. guess it does have a unique local dish.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Grape posted:

I know why people think it's controversial I just think this is a stupid outlet for it. Probably the people making the map got lazy or just couldn't find anything unique with a weird name, because largely when it comes to cusine the Israelis just adopted the local cuisine. There has been controversy about this being a kind of appropriation, especially in how its presented in tourism and such. Just in this case I don't think it's an insiduous attempt at cultural erasure, it just so happens that Israelis eat alot of falafel and whoever made the map couldn't really think of anything else.

Also, they somehow seem to think that Paella is from Barcelona.

e: What's up with that Finnish dish which just looks like a couple of loafs of coarse bread? Seriously?

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Nov 21, 2018

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Randarkman posted:

e: What's up with that Finnish dish which just looks like a couple of loafs of coarse bread? Seriously?

It's kalakukko, a loaf of bread filled with pork fat and fish and then baked

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Count Roland posted:

I mean in that case northern Germany should get the fast food Döner Kebab variant served in pita bread.

Döner kebab, gyros and shawarma, as well as a whole host of others really are just kind of the same thing by different names and often served slightly differently dependent on when someone opened up a stall in some city or what local ingredients they had.

I really kind of wish that the next time some guy or site or organization makes a map like that they just translate all the names into English. Things would seem a lot more mundane that way, though it probably would hit the Asian and African dishes harder, as alot of the names of the European ones have entered English anyway.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

System Metternich posted:

Also Montenegro (and probably a bunch of other smaller countries i didn't check for) is missing. I'd nominate priganice, fried dough balls you eat with ham, honey or "kajmak", sort of a creamy cheese. They are absolutely amazing and one of the best reasons to visit there again soon :allears:

There's an interactive map with content for smaller countries.
https://www.tasteatlas.com/

Kennel fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Nov 21, 2018

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

They got pretty lazy with Norway on this one. I especially can't really understand what other reason there has to be to place "lutefisk" (literally "lye fish") in Oslo. It's really a dish specifically associated with the north of the country and in part the western coast. Also it is absolutely disgusting. I guess this might be the fault of some restaurants in the capital serving it to tourists as a quintessentially Norwegian dish thinking that stuff like "ribbe" (pork ribs) and "medisterkaker" (meatballs essentially, though different from both the everyday kind and the Swedish kind) which are way more typical of the region and, like lutefisk in the north, eaten during Christmas, would be way too boring.

If I were to pick one quintessentially Norwegian dish really, it would have to be "risengrynsgrøt", rice porridge, sprinkled with cinnamon, sugar and usually with a spoonful of melted butter in the middle. I don't really know if eating porridge like this is how people do it in the rest of the world, but really I can't think of anything more typically Norwegian than that really.

Havregrøt, oatmeal, is also often eaten in the same way. And there's also rømmegrøt and fløte, porridge from sour cream (probably older and more common back in the day than the rice variety), is also a thing and also served in the same way.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Randarkman posted:

I know why people think it's controversial I just think this is a stupid outlet for it. Probably the people making the map got lazy or just couldn't find anything unique with a weird name, because largely when it comes to cusine the Israelis just adopted the local cuisine.

Except that's not the case, yes they adopted into local foods (and Mizrahi were already eating that stuff), but the idea that they brought nothing else and just wholesale became Levantine? Jews coming from Europe brought with them all sorts of local foods and variations of local foods. Trust me as someone near NYC, Ashkenazim have lots of various foods associated with them.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Grape posted:

Except that's not the case, yes they adopted into local foods (and Mizrahi were already eating that stuff), but the idea that they brought nothing else and just wholesale became Levantine? Jews coming from Europe brought with them all sorts of local foods and variations of local foods. Trust me as someone near NYC, Ashkenazim have lots of various foods associated with them.

Well having been to Israel, I can't really say I saw lots of typically Ashkenazi food or anything that looked like it. Not in Jerusalem or Tel Aviv at least. Modern Israelis are anyway mostly descended from Middle Eastern and North African Jews (somewhere around 60%) anyway, though descendants of European Jews are probably overrepresented among the political elites. I never said that the Jews who went to Israel brought nothing with them, just that by and large they seem to have largely adopted the local cusine (though I am curious how Israelis compare to Arabs when it comes to eating sweets and desserts and just copious amounts of sugar, like seriously all the time and in everything). Anyway, here's the description of "falafel" from the site.

quote:

Even though these protein-packed chickpea fritters are listed as one of Israel's national dishes, it is often suggested that falafel was invented in Egypt, and later it spread all over Middle East. By the 1950s, to earn a living, Yemenite immigrants in Israel started making falafel in the streets, selling it wrapped in paper, which has eventually transformed this ancient dish into an early form of Israeli fast food. As an alternative to the Israeli version, fava beans can be used instead of chickpeas, while the mixture is typically flavored with parsley, coriander, cumin, and onions. Today, both in Israel and other Middle Eastern countries, falafel fritters are most commonly enjoyed in pita or lafa flatbread sandwiches, topped with fresh or pickled vegetables, and coated either in hummus paste, tahini dip, or a zesty, garlic-flavored yogurt sauce.

So, yeah, the "Israeli connection" is specifically that it was made by Yemenite Jews who came to Israel in the 50s and 60s and therefore kind of became a staple fast food. Not unlike the mentioned "Donair" in Nova Scotia.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Nov 21, 2018

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Shots fired in the great Jollof Rice war

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Squalid posted:

Really I'm increasingly convinced fascism as a vital intellectual and political movement only existed from 1919-1945, and practically every movement outside that frame is something else.

I'm not. For one thing, I have friends whom neonazis want dead, and I see some of the nationalist movements from the 90s are sufficiently close to fascism for me to not give a drat about the specifics. You can also look at the war in Ukraine to find plenty of fascists fighting on both sides, for various reasons. (Hungarian fascists fighting on opposite sides even make deals to make sure they aren't fighting each other directly)
I just don't think fascism per se is nearly as prevalent as people tend to think, and there's a lot of covering of dirty underwear done via "it's those evil fascists doing it, we're totally innocent about this". It will (or at least, ideologies sufficiently similar to it that I stop giving a poo poo about the difference) come in again in full force once the current crop of the rich loses its ability to keep unrest in check and takes extreme measures to keep itself in power.

A few years ago, my sister* took part in the student blockade of the philosophy faculty in Belgrade. One of the thing the university management (liberal free market fans, occasional vaguely fashy "unrestrained free thinker") did in an attempt to discredit the students was to get a pair of neonazis from Novi Sad to try to infiltrate the students and commit sexual assault, which would then be blarted on about in all the media** as the blockading students being immoral brats who want to do evil things to your daughters. Fortunately the students were organized enough to recognize them and throw them out before they could do anything. (Literally. Defenestration. Ground floor window, sadly.)

poo poo like this happens all the goddamn time. There's a shanty town at the edge of Novi Sad, residents mostly being local (Christian) Romani, semi-homeless families of veterans of the war on Kosovo (mostly Muslim Romani), and Serbian families of workers of a construction company wrecked by the economic bullshit and privatizations of the past 30 years. With the project of Novi Sad being a cultural capitol of Europe for the year 2021, the push to "pretty up" the place has resulted in an increasing harrassment of the people who live there, be it by private goons, the police, fashy thugs who were told everyone else will look the other way, and in one case, 2 military police with assault rifles trying to intimidate a Romani family (whom I happen to know), resulting in the husband having a stress-induced stroke and ending up half-paralyzed and incapable of working. (and the work was gathering trash and selling it to recycling companies for a pittance because his kids gotta eat somehow). Probably the most depressing comment I've heard in there was "The city we built won't let us live in it"

Again, there's a lot of bullshit I could talk about forever. Like, the skinhead neonazis are the antifascist action's bussiness, and they've kept them in check, via repeated boot to the skull. But these... awfully convenient fascists who keep showing up... I dunno. I look and look and look, and what I see is Russian bussiness, German bussiness, American bussiness, Serbian bussiness, all hiring the exact same thugs for the exact same reasons.

*technically, second cousin, but we grew up close and she always saw me as her big brother
**this is not to say that universities in general don't have a problem with rapists, because lol, they absolutely do. But it's not those students who are to blame for that.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

cebrail posted:

So what is the poison pill hidden in this apple pie?

I don't remember all of them, but one specifically that's in there is "damaging or disrespecting monuments to antifascists".

On its face this is a good thing, Croatia has had major problems with chodes vandalizing their resistance monuments, but it's coming from RUSSIA. Many of those monuments are to former Soviet Union figures and were erected in Warsaw Pact countries.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Yeah, it's basically the "accept Russian version of history" act.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Guess somebody would've been de-nazified again for this!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monument_to_Soviet_Tank_Crews

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

my dad posted:

By serious question you mean lousy attempt at a gotcha, right?

“Gotchas” are questions that are damning no matter how you answer them.

This one has a right answer.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Platystemon posted:

“Gotchas” are questions that are damning no matter how you answer them.

Nah. Gotchas are questions meant to act as a trap/derail.

And there are implications to you asking me that question right now which make me want to tell you to go gently caress yourself.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

kustomkarkommando posted:

Shots fired in the great Jollof Rice war

It must be hard to do that map when you're trying to avoid replicating the same dish for many different regions. Picking a dish that's truly specific to each area would have been a more interesting map though, and something they would have needed to have crowd-sourced. But then getting any datapoints for like, CAR and DRC, is going to be pretty limited.

Also unfortunate for Wales for their national dish's name to have been co-opted by Americans the Yanks as a slur.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Saladman posted:

Also unfortunate for Wales for their national dish's name to have been co-opted by Americans the Yanks as a slur.
They should have put rarebit for Wales anyway, that style of meatball is more a West Country thing than a Welsh thing.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

New yorks tyle Apizza

e: huh, that's new haven style apizza. Very strange

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Nov 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Steamed clams.