Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Jedit posted:

I know a few people who have requested that Always Look On The Bright Side of Life be played at their funeral. It's a good funeral song.

It probably is for like, an old guy who's lived a long and full life. But trust me it really doesn't work being played to a room full of traumatised-looking people and a crying three year old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
I'm pretty much the organ donor, then whatever Lady Science decrees route. Let some med students laugh at my fat, sliced up rear end after I die. I don't care. Cremate whatever's left.

In all probability if I don't die of an accident and I get so old I need to go in a home I'd rather pull a Norman Cox and wander off into the wilderness to die of my own choosing. But I wouldn't pick loving Death Valley. I've lived in the South almost my whole life. I'm not dying sweating and hot as gently caress if I have any say in it.

Gimme a handful of pills and a nice view and I'll see my way out.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Unless you're in very fine form or have a super unique illness med students probably wouldn't end up with your cadaver. Med schools get first pick, and bodies from folks in decent shape who were younger than 50 are in very high demand.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Solice Kirsk posted:

Dude, if you like that you should cross your fingers to get the "straight" card next time. I've literally smiled my way out of getting arrested before. Middle class straight white guy life is loving awesome. I have no idea why everyone doesn't do it.

Seems kinda silly. :shrug:

Do you know how much leeway gay dudes have it now that we’re mostly accepted

I have like no expectations except to be a cool uncle and my lack of children means many vacations a year with my boyfriend and lots of expendable cash

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

OutOfPrint posted:

Lot of bas in the thread gonna be really disappointed when returning to their bodies in the duat at night.

Seriously, though, harvest every usable organ in me and use the rest as fertilizer for a nice garden. I want my death to help life thrive.

Interviewer: You wrote in your memoir, “Hello Darlin’,” that when you die, you want to be ground up in a wood chipper like Steve Buscemi’s character in the movie “Fargo.” Is this actually set down in your will?

Larry Hagman: Well, it’s hard to set down chipping. I don’t think that’s allowed. But I did want to be spread over a field and have marijuana and wheat planted and harvest it in a couple of years and then have a big marijuana cake, enough for 200 to 300 people. People would eat a little of Larry.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Necrothatcher posted:

Having thought about it a bit more I guess there's a big exception if you're trans and there's going to be a conflict between family and friends/partners over which name/gender you'll be buried as.

But man wacky funerals are never as fun as they sound.

I was friends with a punk guy named Mario who was close to 400lbs, did drugs and drank all the time and was legendary for ordering an entire loaf of italian bread, filling it with 1lb of meat and a half lb of cheese and eating it in one sitting. I used to go to pro wrestling matches with him all the time. His family had essentially disowned him and he knew he was gonna die young (I think he was like 30) and he wrote out a request that we hang a huge banner that said “Local Fat Man Dies” with a picture of him with his band Mario Speedwagon. I was incredibly sad that he died but his funeral was great. I was in tears laughing when all his friends were coming up to tell stories and his family just awkwardly stood on the side in their suits, it was the most uplifting funeral I have ever attended

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Aesop Poprock posted:

I was friends with a punk guy named Mario who was close to 400lbs, did drugs and drank all the time and was legendary for ordering an entire loaf of italian bread, filling it with 1lb of meat and a half lb of cheese and eating it in one sitting. I used to go to pro wrestling matches with him all the time. His family had essentially disowned him and he knew he was gonna die young (I think he was like 30) and he wrote out a request that we hang a huge banner that said “Local Fat Man Dies” with a picture of him with his band Mario Speedwagon. I was incredibly sad that he died but his funeral was great. I was in tears laughing when all his friends were coming up to tell stories and his family just awkwardly stood on the side in their suits, it was the most uplifting funeral I have ever attended

I can think of a more uplifting funeral, but like the OP I didn't get to attend it.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Solice Kirsk posted:

Dude, if you like that you should cross your fingers to get the "straight" card next time. I've literally smiled my way out of getting arrested before. Middle class straight white guy life is loving awesome. I have no idea why everyone doesn't do it.

Seems kinda silly. :shrug:

Being white and over 50, I can tell you that age has a lot to do with it as well. I never received a warning the whole time I was under 30, but I've been pulled over twice in the past two years (once for speeding, once for being "late" on a red light) and was let off with a warning both times. Back when I was in my 20s, I would have had the book thrown at me both times.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

Drunk Nerds posted:

My wife is an attorney in the U.S. (not criminal though, but that would be supreme irony) and she keeps a drawer of thongs specifically for in-court appearances, for reasons I haven't asked about but I'm sure fly in the face of this ridiculous decision

I didn't read the article. Did they actually let the rapist off because the victim was wearing a thong? :wtc:

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

MightyJoe36 posted:

I didn't read the article. Did they actually let the rapist off because the victim was wearing a thong? :wtc:

I didn’t look too far into it but apparently whatever he ended up being convicted of has a woefully outdated sentence attached to it so the judge couldn’t do anything beyond that. She even apologized and said her hands were tied

Pudding Space
Mar 19, 2014

Jedit posted:

I know a few people who have requested that Always Look On The Bright Side of Life be played at their funeral. It's a good funeral song.

I have a friend who had the notes for ALOTBSOL transcribed by a musician to whatever the staff notation is called, and tattooed onto his arm. Considering this was a bloke who served time in jail when much younger, and went on to become a successful tradie, it makes for a good ice-breaker.

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨

MightyJoe36 posted:

In short: Yes.

In more detail: Both the victim and assailant said she did not consent (but the shitbag said that was okay because he didn’t think he was hard enough to go in, so it must have done so accidentally). A witness stated he had his hand on her throat during the act. The assailant said they were flirting and kissing all night but no witnesses corroborated that. So all the evidence pointed to violent, non-consensual sex and the only defense offered was “but wearing this underwear meant she was seeking sex that night.”

After an hour and a half of deliberation, the jury decided the connotations of a thong outweighed the criminal evidence and he was declared not guilty.

DemonDarkhorse
Nov 5, 2011

It's probably not tobacco. You just need to start wiping front-to-back from now on.

Miss posted:

indonesia isn't part of malaysia lol

that article is rad though, it also has wooden effigies of the dead just for hanging around with, pretty great

oh whoops. i found it by searching for "malaysia corpse"

completely unrelated, tennessee man arrested for raping his 16 month old son

https://www.abc15.com/news/national/tennessee-mother-charged-with-child-neglect-in-16-month-old-sons-rape

Pudding Space
Mar 19, 2014
If you're not woke enough for a sky burial in 2018, then you can't be left wing. No exceptions.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

Busket Posket posted:

After an hour and a half of deliberation, the jury decided the connotations of a thong outweighed the criminal evidence and he was declared not guilty.

:psyboom:

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Pudding Space posted:

If you're not woke enough for a sky burial in 2018, then you can't be left wing. No exceptions.

Can you actually do that legally in the US? If so, I’m in.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Funerals are for the living to help them process their grief, and should be planned as such. Not saying that the deceased's wishes shouldn't be respected, particularly for stuff like LGBT issues, but it's not the time for jokey poo poo that would legit interfere with that.

Disposal of the deceased person's remains is more about the dead and how they want to be remembered and/or spend eternity, or how they wish to not be remembered or memorialized.

Obviously not hard and fast rules, but a good guide.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

you're like 50 right? how can this still surprise you?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bm2XPkqENaw

A decade later:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ox9bcx_LZMs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyWwuJCRTXk

Cleese says they were very much indeed Graham Chapman's ashes.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-46287259

Moroccan woman in UAE 'killed lover and cooked him'

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

OutOfPrint posted:

Lot of bas in the thread gonna be really disappointed when returning to their bodies in the duat at night.

This is why I want to be mummified like Egyptian nobility. But instead of going into a tomb or mausoleum, I want a glass-topped sarcophagus that can do double duty as a coffee table, so my lifeless corpse can traumatize generations of children. Scaring great-great-great grandchildren with "If you're not good, Grandpa Hamish will rise from his grave and get you!" is a fantastic way of ensuring that my name endures in the mouths of the living.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's illegal as hell, but just dump my corpse out in the Florida swamps. I loved them in life, let me be there in death.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I have organ donor on my drivers license and my family knows I'm cool with anything other than a traditional casket burial (because I think they're expensive and wasteful)

My mom wants to be cremated and her ashes spread in a bigass garden because she's loved tending plants, but hopefully I won't need to be undertaking that task anytime soon. :unsmith:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Azathoth posted:

Funerals are for the living to help them process their grief, and should be planned as such. Not saying that the deceased's wishes shouldn't be respected, particularly for stuff like LGBT issues, but it's not the time for jokey poo poo that would legit interfere with that.

Yeah but people are selfish and Americans are conditioned to believe all sadness and grief is wrong so we have to make every single experience "happy" or somehow we're being failed and failing others.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Azathoth posted:

Disposal of the deceased person's remains is more about the dead and how they want to be remembered and/or spend eternity, or how they wish to not be remembered or memorialized.

Obviously not hard and fast rules, but a good guide.

Pulling a stupid prank that pisses everyone off and gets them to stop crying and decide that “actually no I’m glad that fucker’s dead” is my way of helping them cope hth

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Randaconda posted:

It's illegal as hell, but just dump my corpse out in the Florida swamps. I loved them in life, let me be there in death.

It isn’t as if legality has stopped the kind of people who dump bodies out in the Florida swamps. You just need to make the wrong friends.

incredible flesh
Oct 6, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

Aesop Poprock posted:

i love this man and am sorry he's dead

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

incredible flesh posted:

i love this man and am sorry he's dead

Yeah I started off that post laughing but I had a few tears running down by the end. We always made sure we could clear off the couch when he’d come over for UFC PPVs so he could be comfortable. He knew exactly how ridiculous his living situation was and wouldn’t or couldn’t change it but his personality was huge. We tried to get Chikara Pro Wrestling to come play a Lancaster venue but couldn’t manage it because of their rate or whatever, I forget exactly what it was, cause Chikara was his favorite

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

I would want people to contemplate the meaning of their life and the meaning of death at my funeral, not pretend it's all fine by throwing some ~zany~ party. People in the West are too good at pretending death can somehow be sanitized from our lives. I know people my age who've never even seen a corpse.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

call center manager posted:

I would want people to contemplate the meaning of their life and the meaning of death at my funeral, not pretend it's all fine by throwing some ~zany~ party. People in the West are too good at pretending death can somehow be sanitized from our lives. I know people my age who've never even seen a corpse.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

call center manager posted:

People in China literally hire strippers to pole dance at their relatives funerals so strangers will show up

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

One thing I love about my faith tradition (Eastern Orthodox) is our approach towards death and funerary rites. No embalming, simple pine coffin (as opposed to a ridiculously padded casket as if to mitigate any soreness I might feel when I wake up for the resurrection), and a modest headstone.

Or I could wind up propped up forever in a guided phonebooth like St. Spyridon if I’m a really good boy: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g662629-d196777-Reviews-Church_of_Saint_Spiridon-Corfu_Town_Corfu_Ionian_Islands.html

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

One thing to say about that is that Chapman would piss himself laughing at all of it.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ProperGanderPusher posted:

One thing I love about my faith tradition (Eastern Orthodox) is our approach towards death and funerary rites. No embalming, simple pine coffin (as opposed to a ridiculously padded casket as if to mitigate any soreness I might feel when I wake up for the resurrection), and a modest headstone.

Or I could wind up propped up forever in a guided phonebooth like St. Spyridon if I’m a really good boy: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g662629-d196777-Reviews-Church_of_Saint_Spiridon-Corfu_Town_Corfu_Ionian_Islands.html

Or you could have one of those really cool 10k Russian mob headstones that show your dead 20 year old son and his Honda Civic

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Speaking of Russian headstones

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Randaconda posted:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-46287259

Moroccan woman in UAE 'killed lover and cooked him'

It’s the first time he didn’t complain about her cooking!

Carnival of Shrews
Mar 27, 2013

You're not David Attenborough

Heck, you don't even have to be good to be a saint, just conveniently desiccated (contains photos of a dehydrated corpse).

The Eastern Orthodox insistence on burial can cause its own problems where there isn't much soil. I guess this isn't such a problem if burial space is plentiful.

On a lighter note: CONGRATULATIONS! YOU ARE BEING CREMATED TODAY!
http://myocn.net/chrismation-and-cremation-orthodox-views/

Best funeral tune IMO: Patrick Hernandez, 'Born to be Alive'

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

My family doesn't care what happens to the majority of the corpse, just need some of your ashes and a lock of hair for the family shrine.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
Re: the Tulsa race riots:

https://twitter.com/CharlesMBlow/status/1065275366892322816

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/vonhonkington/status/1065398693040406528