Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

CrRoMa posted:

That sucks, do you ever get motion sickness from a fast moving fps or racing games?

I don't think I've ever experienced it in racing games, but it's definitely come up in shooters with a lot of quick aiming and quick turns. I remember having issues with it after long stretches with The Last of Us. It's minimized if I'm playing in a well-lit room so subconsciously I'm always aware of it being a flat screen, but with VR that's the opposite of what I want lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Bombadilillo posted:

Oh weird. I never tried it, but thought it was the DS controls here you go. What's even weirder was Lord of the Fallen/Surge changing the dodge button. Like that's an explicit clone that changed a thing for reasons?!?
What did they change it to? I don't remember. Maybe they were fans of the Japanese versions of the Souls games if it was on X...

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I’ve got the same motion sickness with cars and books/phones and I’ve never gotten motion sick in a game but I’ve also managed to never put on a VR headset.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Akuma posted:

What did they change it to? I don't remember. Maybe they were fans of the Japanese versions of the Souls games if it was on X...

Its was on X. They provided a controller scheme with it on O though.

Motion sickness chat. Of you are on a boat you are told to "look at the horozon" this world because it let's your brain see how you are moving with regards to the earth. You know what else works? Look at a glass of water! You see the water tilt in the glass and your brain can reconcile your inner ear movement with the world movement:science:

In a car look out the window and think about how the movement of the car is affecting you. It might help

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The other question to ask about motion sickness is "how old are you?"

Yeah, didn't happen at all to me in my teens and early 20s. Everything starts to go to poo poo in your 30s though.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The basic premise for most motion sickness is that you have a sense of how your body is positioned in space (proprioception) which is mainly sensed by crystals in your inner ear. For people with motion sickness, rides like the Rotor shake up those crystals and confuse the body so nausea results.

It's the same with VR, if the visual information your eyes are taking in conflicts with what the inner ear is telling you, that conflict can make people sick. I have it pretty bad and cannot even read in a moving car because staring at a static page while moving is enough to affect me

This is my mom for most of her life, she couldn't even sit in the back of a car without insta barfing as soon as it started moving. About 10 years ago that went away, so you may ultimately age out of it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
haha those two posts next to each other is amazing timing

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Our bodies are complex bags of chemicals and vague sensations, things can change as our hormones change.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I just bought a Sony x009f -- what do you guys recommend for settings? I'm still using a regular PS4 and I feel like turning on HDR washes out the image. Any advice?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Regular PS4 doesn’t support HDR so there’s no point in having it turned on probably

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I thought that it did?

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Escobarbarian posted:

Regular PS4 doesn’t support HDR so there’s no point in having it turned on probably
Sure it does, it came with a firmware update.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Escobarbarian posted:

Regular PS4s do support HDR, they don't support 4K.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
oops that’s my bad! I must have upgraded before that update. Ignore me.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Motion sickness chat, I suffer from terrible travel sickness in cars, absolutely cannot read anything in a car. Just the journey alone is bad enough. Except when I was on a road trip through Idaho and it completely went away. Came back when I got home to England. ???

Mootallica
Jun 28, 2005

Escobarbarian posted:

Yeah it clearly should have just been one thing, there was no reason to split it

Most DLC in a nutshell

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Escobarbarian posted:

Yeah it clearly should have just been one thing, there was no reason to split it

So they could sell a season pass.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
I feel incredibly lucky when it comes to motion sickness, I get zero. Worst I got was some crazy butterflies when I accidentally shouted myself off a cliff by hitting the wrong button in Skyrim. :v:

Doesn’t really surprise me though. I used to be able to :nms:play the Virtual Boy:nms: in the car so I think my brain’s just broken.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
How many of you have barfed bc of PSVR

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Imhotep posted:

Yeah... when I read what the resolution was 😈😈😈

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Imhotep posted:

The only time I've ever felt any kind of queasiness was when I pushed a button playing that tank game you get with the system. I didn't realise it would fire a rocket thruster and then flip me to attach to a roof. Really got the stomach lurching.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Imhotep posted:

Never barfed but the first time I jumped in RIGS I had to lay down for 30 min

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I was able to get my Spider-Man Black Friday bundle today at Walmart. Originally they were telling me that it would not be available until Black Friday but thank God that turned out to be wrong. I was not wanting to go there on Black Friday itself for sure.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

acksplode posted:

Same. A couple of games made me feel so zapped of energy I'd have to lay down for like 20 minutes after playing them for 10. Here they Lie is still to this day the most barf inducing PSVR game. I actually tried to play it recently and it still made me kind of sick despite being totally acclimated to VR. It's like a checklist of things not to do in a VR game.

DuffMayhem
May 14, 2003

Does it depress you?
How alone you really are
As someone who has never been a fan of Tetris, I must say Tetris Effect is fantastic. $40 is steep but I used my $15 credit to soften the blow. I’m also a big fan of Rez and Lumines so I might be a bit biased but I love it. I’ve been playing on PSVR but I’m sure it’s great regular too. For a Tetris fan I’d say it’s must own, but for anyone with an interest I don’t regret it one bit. Just throwing that out there if anyone is on the fence about it.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Yeah... when I read what the resolution was 😈😈😈

drat

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

DuffMayhem posted:

As someone who has never been a fan of Tetris, I must say Tetris Effect is fantastic. $40 is steep but I used my $15 credit to soften the blow. I’m also a big fan of Rez and Lumines so I might be a bit biased but I love it. I’ve been playing on PSVR but I’m sure it’s great regular too. For a Tetris fan I’d say it’s must own, but for anyone with an interest I don’t regret it one bit. Just throwing that out there if anyone is on the fence about it.

Im getting deeper and deeper in master mode. 300 lines is still a long way off though.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I bought two Playstation Plus codes last year on Black Friday. Redeemed the first one last year, I go to put the second one in and it says thank you for redeeming your code, but it doesn't actually activate plus. What happened?

E- my username on PlayStation's website shows the plus indicator next to it. :iiam:

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Nov 22, 2018

tensai
May 8, 2007

Just trying to keep my boyfriend away from that redheaded harlot.

Doctor Zero posted:

I don’t mean this smug, but I don’t get motion sickness at all. Like at an amusement park my friend and I were the only ones on the Rotor (just a big spinning cylinder that sticks you to the inside wall and the bottom drops out) for literally 40 minutes because the guy said he’d keep it going until someone else showed up and that’s how long it took. I didn’t get sick or even feel queasy.

So what is it about VR in particular that makes people motion sick? I’m just curious since I don’t get it.

I'm the same way. I've had friends get all sorts of sick from VR. And I'm kinda jealous that I feel nothing. I also never feel fully "immersed" either, though.

Granted, sometimes, I get the weird stomach drop with heights in games. Crackdown was the first time that happened.

tensai fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Nov 22, 2018

Wendell
May 11, 2003

So, Celeste Pico-8 2900m. This is meant to be beaten by a human?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Midjack posted:

This is my mom for most of her life, she couldn't even sit in the back of a car without insta barfing as soon as it started moving. About 10 years ago that went away, so you may ultimately age out of it.

I hope that it is a bell curve because my track record has been: in my teens it would trigger from extreme theme park rides, in college I could get it just from riding in cars, and in my twenties sometimes it just happened when I was literally sitting down and just tilted my head weirdly

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

acksplode posted:

RIGS and Starblood Arena both made me feel insanely queezy yeah. Didn't have a problem with Wipeout, ZOE2 or EVE though..

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Switching between spyro and rdr2 has been really weird. Spyro is a game that wants you to have fun, constantly, red dead is uh...

Not that.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I bought the Division on sale and played it for like an hour before I decided to wait to continue until I finish Red Dead, and playing a game with normal controls for a bit felt like taking a huge satisfying dump after a month of RDR . That said, I think I've finally gotten used to RDR and they don't bother me anymore. Just about every other game has better controls though.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

PantsBandit posted:

Switching between spyro and rdr2 has been really weird. Spyro is a game that wants you to have fun, constantly, red dead is uh...

Not that.

I have both RDR2 and persona 5 installed and guess which one is far more immediately welcoming and doesn't give me the "ughh" feeling that starting a 40 hour game does

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Is there a way to adjust the controls in Tetris Effect? I'd rather have the triggers rotate.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I don't understand why this is so powerful btw how is Reztris doing this to me

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

RBA Starblade posted:

Is there a way to adjust the controls in Tetris Effect? I'd rather have the triggers rotate.

I wouldnt want that extra travel time of the trigger

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It just makes more sense in my head. I'm spending half a second thinking about it on x and o each time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

One of the two things will improve with experience