Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

It's lovely that it plays into the antisemitic conspiracy narrative about George Soros, and I have no doubt Facebook PR and Definers were fully aware of that fact, but if Soros genuinely did fund an astroturf group to go after Facebook, it is in the public interest for that to be public knowledge.

Why is it in the public interest for it to be public knowledge?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

VideoGameVet posted:

Why? The Holocaust is required curriculum in all German schools and even selling a video game with Nazi symbols are banned.

Meanwhile, in half the USA the Confederency is treated as some kind of noble cause when the Civil War is taught in schools.

I think this is a well known fact by now but this is where hitler had his last stand and died and had his whole bunker thing. America would have built statues and monuments, germany made a parking lot, and like, seemingly made sure that it wasn't even a particularly good parking lot.

(I 100% know I'm the lovely american who is making this a memorial by taking a photo of this, but I really really like they did that)

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Sounds like their comms guy falling on his sword, so he can be the sole scapegoat and Mark's political aspirations can be rebooted. lol

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

It's lovely that it plays into the antisemitic conspiracy narrative about George Soros, and I have no doubt Facebook PR and Definers were fully aware of that fact, but if Soros genuinely did fund an astroturf group to go after Facebook, it is in the public interest for that to be public knowledge.

George Soros is legitimately a scumbag billionaire but 'a SO CALLED grassroots campaign had people 'on his payroll' in it' is so vague and pointless that I refuse to believe they had actual proof of Soros funding and guiding an astroturf campaign and chose to go with that phrasing

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Squalid posted:

This is an especially bad problem because in a lot of cases Democrats are trading blue-collar voters in places like North Dakota for suburban Californians. It's a bad trade because votes are more valuable in in North Dakota than California.

North Dakota is +36 R, making it the fourth most Trumplover state. Heitkamp only lost by 9, which is impressive considering the state.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Feel good to get that slur out of your system?

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

I heard someone say the other day that the democrats have to work out whether the best strategy for winning elections: is to go to the moderate centre, or the progressive left. And they said that the midterms were pretty conclusive proof that the moderate centre is the best strategy. I had gathered the opposite impression, but I'm not really across any names or races other than AOC in NY14, but can anyone give us a good run down, or point to some decent analysis which breaks it down?

I understand Beto was pretty progressive and he got drat close, for example. And the same with Abrhams? Both of those were far closer than they had any right to be for how red the districts are, and it's probably because they were unashamedly progressive, wasn't it? So looking at it in terms of the win/loose binary is probably a flawed premise, right?

The other thing I get, which AOC made clear early in her campaign, is that you have to target the people who don't usually vote, and you don't get them with mild centrism.

So, did centrists win more races than progressives? And to what extent was that due to centrism, rather than just natural result of the political landscape there? And what's the best way forward. Thank you and god speed.

edit - to be clear, I'm looking for an article or something I can point to that goes over all this stuff

Bucky Fullminster fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Nov 21, 2018

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I think this is a well known fact by now but this is where hitler had his last stand and died and had his whole bunker thing. America would have built statues and monuments, germany made a parking lot, and like, seemingly made sure that it wasn't even a particularly good parking lot.

(I 100% know I'm the lovely american who is making this a memorial by taking a photo of this, but I really really like they did that)

wasn't the bunker where the russians said basically 'put anything here and we'll burn it down and we don't care if we have to invade you to get to it' or was it some other battlefield?

Either way again that mainly came from the people they tried to slaughter saying 'loving don't'

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

I don't follow you in the slightest bit or understand what polls have to do with this conversation. This was a direct conversation and question about what the correct thing to do is with the practical political reality in the House of Representatives where progressive candidates are given a choice to compromise with moderates or give control to conservatives.

But like, I assume if you wanted to answer that you would have by now so Happy Thanksgiving.
I literally answered your question in the exact post you quoted, but I guess it doesn't qualify as an answer unless I blindly accept your "practical political reality" which lives in a magic vacuum outside of the actual reality of American political development over the last half-century.

enraged_camel posted:

Why is it in the public interest for it to be public knowledge?
Astroturfing is one of the most insidious manifestations of big money in politics and it should always be exposed regardless of who is doing it.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Nov 21, 2018

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Yeah, if Avenatti had actually been set up by Wohl he'd be screaming specific evidence from the rooftops by now. This was one hundred percent him being an abusive shitstain. He then avoided charges through a good old-fashioned combination of richness, whiteness, good knowledge of the legal system, hush money to the victim, fear of reprisal on the victim's part, misogyny on the DA's part, and/or dumb luck. No conspiracy required.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

i have some german friends (and also some civil engineer friends) and i could totally believe this and it's fantastic

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Hobo Erotica posted:

I heard someone say the other day that the democrats have to work out whether the best strategy for winning elections: is to go to the moderate centre, or the progressive left. And they said that the midterms were pretty conclusive proof that the moderate centre is the best strategy. I had gathered the opposite impression, but I'm not really across any names or races other than AOC in NY14, but can anyone give us a good run down, or point to some decent analysis which breaks it down?

I understand Beto was pretty progressive and he got drat close, for example. And the same with Abrhams? Both of those were far closer than they had any right to be for how red the districts are, and it's probably because they were unashamedly progressive, wasn't it? So looking at it in terms of the win/loose binary is probably a flawed premise, right?

The other thing I get, which AOC made clear early in her campaign, is that you have to target the people who don't usually vote, and you don't get them with mild centrism.

So, did centrists win more races than progressives? And to what extent was that due to centrism, rather than just natural result of the political landscape there? And what's the best way forward. Thank you and god speed.

the results weren't conclusive one way or the other, basically. there's enough races and results that you could draw whatever conclusion you wanted and have evidence for it. but overall the people who voted for dems remained the people who usually vote for dems, the suburbanites. they just turned out at a higher rate than normal, hence the swing. i'll see if i can find the article i read about it.

e: https://jacobinmag.com/2018/11/midterm-elections-reconstruction-du-bois

Stexils fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Nov 21, 2018

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

sexpig by night posted:

wasn't the bunker where the russians said basically 'put anything here and we'll burn it down and we don't care if we have to invade you to get to it' or was it some other battlefield?

Either way again that mainly came from the people they tried to slaughter saying 'loving don't'

Führerbunker: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F%C3%BChrerbunker

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

right I know what that is I just forgot if that was the place or if it was some big battlefield or something that Russia pulled their dicks out to make sure Germany didn't gently caress with. Sorry I phrased that weird.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Failed Imagineer posted:

Sounds like their comms guy falling on his sword, so he can be the sole scapegoat and Mark's political aspirations can be rebooted. lol

I mean who is he going to loving appeal to?

This is the thing I don't get about Silicon Valley. You have all this money but they seem to always want more and at the same time seem to have very little knowledge of how to be in politics. Even Trump has better stage presence.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Here career long judge that's literally the Chief Justice of The Supreme Court, let me educate you on the career and ethics of a position you've held for nearly 15 years now with the thoughts I just spent the last 15 minutes on. This guy seriously has some loving balls, stupid ones but it's apparent.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Fulchrum posted:

You do know those laws were forced upon the German people, right? They were occupied for decades by the Russians and the Americans, and the two held a gun to every Germans head and said "If any of you raises your hand above your shoulderone more time, we blow your loving brains out."

Sherman had it right about the south.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Facebook just did a 5pm the night before thanksgiving news drop and whoah boy.

https://newsroom.fb.com/news/2018/11/elliot-schrage-on-definers/

So it's confirmed. Facebook's spread the Soros conspiracy crap that inspired the Pittsburg tragedy.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Josef bugman posted:

I mean who is he going to loving appeal to?

This is the thing I don't get about Silicon Valley. You have all this money but they seem to always want more and at the same time seem to have very little knowledge of how to be in politics. Even Trump has better stage presence.

Silicon Valley is a world where extremely sheltered and isolated nerds appeal to richer sheltered and isolated nerds for their entire livelihood and every company is running entirely on investors' cash transfusions and no one's turning a profit. This is a life where you have to be constantly swindling a bunch of people who are actively trying to live a life where they never speak to another person but you're ALSO trying to live that life so you're just printing stock options until the other dork says 'stop' and gives you a check. Also the rich nerd you're trying to scam only got rich by doing the exact same thing and selling his app or whatever to some other nerd for billions before they realized it was useless. It's a crazy, incestuous, web of nonsense that's even dumber than DC. It's grifters grifting grifters but no one has social skills or actual life experience.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Oh good, the Trump wife is going back to Liberty to act like she's gonna do poo poo about Opioid addictions that will stop it. Go back to DC and stay in your weird closet.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Ironically enough German neo-nazis now use the Confederate flag for their symbol (since the Nazi flag is banned)

Symmetry Achieved!

Seriously, sugarcoating the Confederacy in school curriculum is one reason why we are still fighting the Civil War.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Kale posted:

Here career long judge that's literally the Chief Justice of The Supreme Court, let me educate you on the career and ethics of a position you've held for nearly 15 years now with the thoughts I just spent the last 15 minutes on. This guy seriously has some loving balls, stupid ones but it's apparent.

The funniest thing about this is Trump is actually kind of right especially with federalist vetted Republican judges. I think democrats tend to be less careful about the ideological purity of who they appoint. Roberts is well aware of this and realizes that if people start paying close attention to the ideological takeover of the courts it’s going to reflect badly on his team. Trump in his temper tantrum is just pointing out to the world the exact thing that is biased in his favor.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Kale posted:

I'm not sure it's really balls. He's just too stupid to know his place, and his inheritance protects him from the consequences of his own stupidity.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
SV is the kinda place where you could probably bankrupt everyone with enough production value surrounding an especially high quality gif but they fully know that so the entire bubble is protected by being priced out of anyone who actually works for a living invading their dome and wrecking them.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
https://twitter.com/SherrodBrown/status/1065306125803900934

If he wins, his seat will go to a Republican for 4 years.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

goethe.cx posted:

I knew Melania hated her life but I'm a little worried about the direction she's taking

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1065288234798931968?s=19

I don't know, opiods might make those town halls much more tolerable.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Crabtree posted:

Oh good, the Trump wife is going back to Liberty to act like she's gonna do poo poo about Opioid addictions that will stop it. Go back to DC and stay in your weird closet.

You misread. She's just going to be on opoids while visiting Liberty. It's the only way most people can stand more than 5 minutes of the place.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

VideoGameVet posted:

Sherman had it right about the south.
Thaddeus Stevens*

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Crabtree posted:

Pray the addiction away.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Did Melania defeat cyber-bullying yet?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Crow Jane posted:

Did Melania defeat cyber-bullying yet?

Jared's on the case.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

OAquinas posted:

You misread. She's just going to be on opoids while visiting Liberty. It's the only way most people can stand more than 5 minutes of the place.

You made me go back and evaluate my mental map of Lynchburg and while there are a couple of quite decent places to get a drink there, they are all further than 5 minutes from Liberty. Checks out.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

GreyjoyBastard posted:

i am vaguely bummed that she's so totally overshadowing other progressives but she's very good

we're posting almost nothing about Ilhan Omar, for instance

Tbf no one else has the Twitter fire that AOC does, left or right or in between. Since none of them are actually legislating yet there's not much else to go on.

It'll be seen come next Congress if the focus (by leftists and by the right wing propaganda outlets) remains exclusively on AOC. Omar sponsoring a big progressive bill would certainly put her in the spotlight, for example.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Thaddeus Stevens*

Yes. Oh yes.

"...the adoption of the measures I advocated at the outset of the war, the arming of the negroes, the slaves of the rebels, is the only way left on earth in which these rebels can be exterminated. They will find that they must treat those States now outside of the Union as conquered provinces and settle them with new men, and drive the present rebels as exiles from this country....They have such determination, energy, and endurance, that nothing but actual extermination or exile or starvation will ever induce them to surrender to this Government."

—Thaddeus Stevens, U.S. House of Representatives, January 8, 1863

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.
I don't think that a lot of the DAAW Brigade get that this party alignment along ideological lines is a relatively new thing in American history. Particularly the divide along these ideological lines. Liberal Republicans were totally a thing as were unsurprisingly Conservative Democrats. The Southern Strategy combined with the efforts of the wanna be Nazi's who founded the right wing think tanks and media companies and Newt loving Gingrich (Imagine how much better the world would have been if his parents had named him George or Mike or something that wasn't going to get him swirlied and stuck in a locker on a daily basis growing up) pushed the parties to align along hard ideological lines well the Republican party at least.

There is legitimate room for debate between liberals who believe that capitalism can be harnessed for good and those who believe that total communism is the only answer and honestly seeing how horribly either has done with treating people humanely there should be and ideally we're probably best with some mix of socialism for things that socialism makes sense for (basic survival and safety) and those where some well regulated competition and trade for things that aren't necessities, entertainment, art, leisure. Some way to create incentives to convince people to do the unpleasant jobs that have to be done short of forcing them to choose between starvation (capitalism) or forced "re-education" through hard labor in the gulags.

I digress. The reality is that as much as the "leftists" complain about how bad the Dems are and how nothing in improving. The reality is that it is improving. The progressive caucus is the biggest caucus in the house. Medicare for All (even if they really mean some watered down version) is now the cause that even the blue dogs are paying lip service to. That's a real shift. A real significant shift in the overton window. Think back to 2008. The big fight in the primary between Clinton and Obama was over two issues. The mandate that Clinton supported and Obama opposed and the Public Option that was reversed. Even after a historic victory and the Democrats making massive gains in the house and Senate, there were still enough conservative and "third way" Democrats to kill the public option, and no the fact that Daschle (literal frigging health industry lobbyist) says that there was a "secret deal" between the white house and the insurance industry doesn't mean that Obama pre-compromised on the key aspects his signature piece of legislation. Maybe he did, maybe he just used the fact that it was obvious that the Public option was DOA in the Senate and allowed the suggestions of such a "secret deal" in order to convince the Healthcare industry to keep their powder dry (not to mention it allows Democrats to craft a stealth narrative on how they broke their side of that "deal" and thus shouldn't be trusted going forward.)

The point is that due to the nature of the Senate and it's staggered 6 year terms it tends to lag behind the public sentiment significantly.

Now there are still plenty of bad Democrats but there are less bad ones that there used to be, and the bad ones are objectively improvements over the ones before them. On balance they are a huge improvement over the Democrats of the 80s, 90s and 00s. All of them support some form of MFA, they all accept the science that holds that climate change is real even if they aren't taking it seriously enough.

I think that's the biggest thing that leaves me just womper jawed at the rhetoric from the "left" here is that I look at the modern Democratic party in contrast to the Democratic party of 20 and 30 years ago and the difference is night and friggin day. Even our worst are so much better than the most of what we had when I grew up that when I hear this refrain of Dems are bad all I can think is "you have no idea what bad Dems look like if you think these Dems are bad"

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Ague Proof posted:

https://twitter.com/SherrodBrown/status/1065306125803900934

If he wins, his seat will go to a Republican for 4 years.

Yeah. It's interesting calculus because Brown seems like a very strong candidate on paper and would win back some white working class voters and has some progressive cred too.

He'd be a good VP pick too but that's not worth losing his seat over. Idk, a ticket like Brown/Gillibrand could be strong. Good of him to acknowledge this early that he is considering it and not doing the "my focus remains on the people of Ohio blah blah these are just rumors" thing.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Prester Jane posted:

Learn to think in terms beyond the immediate crisis or you will live in nothing but one immediate crisis after another. Jesus this isn't hard, why are the privileged so utterly clueless on these matters.

I mean just look at the last 15 years of American government- its been nothing but careening from one crisis to another. Continue why that is? Because both parties know that they can get privileged leftists and howling psychopaths alike to go along with the agenda as long as the alternative is always presented as a world ending calamity.

We can't ever fight to shift the party leftward because lanyards like yourselffucking panicky the thought of thinking beyond the crisis of the moment. Well look where that thinking has gotten us- fascism is on the rise and both parties are working to enable it. Only grass-rootsDems are prepare to actively resist- Democratic leadership just wants to maintain their power and uses promises of improvements to enshrine their preferred status quo without ever addressing the underlying problems. (e.g, Obamacare.) The result is one half-measure after another that alleviates the worst aspects of the underlying crisis in the short term while resulting in a much worse/more intractable problem down the line as the half-measure inevitably collapses. (e.g, Obama care.)

I'm not sure why you chose a post where I was trying to get a clarification on a poster's stance so I didn't unfairly misinterpret or misrepresent them to launch a bunch of assumptions and childish insults at me, but for whatever its worth I happen to believe that its both capable and necessary to deal with practical immediate political realities and broader idealogical goals and pictures.

But that's the first time I've been called a "lanyard" and I saw someone use it to insult evilweasel earlier so I guess I should get to understanding what that particular meme means now. So this post was helpful in some way. Thanks.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

LaserShark posted:

Which again raises the question 'How did Dipshit McFinancialcrimes know about it?'

Whols pretend detective company claimed to be involved in the beginning which he later back peddled hard on

Wohls dad claimed days ago there were bruises all over her face but there werent according to her complaint

Wohl started posting pictures on Twitter of her “massive bruises” which didn’t look like much of anything at all (and why would he even have them in the first place)

The whole thing stinks of another whol job. I really hope porn lawyer takes action against him if mueller already hasn’t started to.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

lets take a moment to appreciate that Newt Gingrich's old seat that he had for 20 years is now going to be held by a black woman who lost a child to racist gun violence, and double appreciate that it isn't Ossof in that seat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Hobo Erotica posted:

edit - to be clear, I'm looking for an article or something I can point to that goes over all this stuff

All the party ever wants to do is go to the moderate center, and they will make up any excuse they can to make that seem like the right move.