Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

waxluthor
May 28, 2003
Is Koodo's Black Friday deal for Pixel 3 good? My Nexus 6 is crapping out and need a new phone. I'm on the $40/6GB plan so I think I'm eligible for tab medium. Right now it's $250 down, $360 on tab, and $150 in bill credits which works out to be $460 plus tax. I was eyeing the Nokia 7.1 from Amazon which works out to be about $400 USD after import fee so might as well go with the Pixel. Am I doing the math right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

What tab were you on before, if any? If none, you will have to switch to whats being offered under tab medium plans right now.

After 2 hours on hold, finally got someone. They put the $200 difference on the sale back on my account.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

codo27 posted:

What tab were you on before, if any? If none, you will have to switch to whats being offered under tab medium plans right now.

After 2 hours on hold, finally got someone. They put the $200 difference on the sale back on my account.

This is really cheap of me to ask as I'm currently on hold with them myself with this question (I'm at 35 minutes now) but would you happen to know if their black friday deals are available at kiosks?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Even if they are, you'll be charged an extra $30 activation fee for phones going in person instead of online

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

waxluthor posted:

Is Koodo's Black Friday deal for Pixel 3 good? My Nexus 6 is crapping out and need a new phone. I'm on the $40/6GB plan so I think I'm eligible for tab medium. Right now it's $250 down, $360 on tab, and $150 in bill credits which works out to be $460 plus tax. I was eyeing the Nokia 7.1 from Amazon which works out to be about $400 USD after import fee so might as well go with the Pixel. Am I doing the math right?

If they're definitely offering you a $150 bill credit on medium tab (varies by user, they aren't to my account but I haven't checked my wife's), it sounds right.

Bear in mind that it takes them a couple weeks to ship phones this time of year since they get so slammed with Black Friday orders.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

codo27 posted:

Even if they are, you'll be charged an extra $30 activation fee for phones going in person instead of online

This is the smart detail I was missing. Thank you very much for saving me a trip and more hold line!

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

codo27 posted:

This is wrong. I got the exact same deal as the dude above was going for on the 40/6gb PM migration plan, got the phone for 250 up-front on tab medium and didn't have to change away from the promo plan.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

It must only be if you are switching from one tab to another then, I know then you do have to change. I can add another 2gb of data for $5 right now, but I cant do it within 2 weeks of upgrading my phone. So that sucks. Doubt the promotion will still be going by then. That 15gb for 75 bucks is pretty tempting as well.

waxluthor
May 28, 2003

MA-Horus posted:

This is wrong. I got the exact same deal as the dude above was going for on the 40/6gb PM migration plan, got the phone for 250 up-front on tab medium and didn't have to change away from the promo plan.

Yep just placed the order as well and I get to keep my current plan. Now I need to buy a case. :dance:

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Hmm. Apparently Fido decided to take my not-so-subtle threat to switch carriers seriously and came up with a pretty decent offer. $55 for 5GB, Unlimited Canada-Wide talk and an LG G7 for nothing up front.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
Koodo deals are even better this week at Mobile Shop in Superstore/Loblaws, at least the ones I've seen. There's a $50 credit on top of whatever deals Koodo is offering. I don't need a new phone myself but it seemed worth repeating because their stores are probably less busy than Koodo ones too.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Ordered the P20 Pro last week, expecting it today according to UPS. Absolutely no updates in the tracking after it went out, same thing with gfs until hours before it was delivered so I didn't think anything of it. Guy is meeting me to buy my P2 later, so I wipe the phone..check the tracking, "severe weather delay". gently caress me out.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
LOL Canadian telecoms are trash
https://twitter.com/tefficient/status/1080485423925866497

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Guillotine.

I was looking up plans on the various carriers tonight, and it's just loving ridiculous how good that Public Mobile 12gb/$120/3mo (currently $108) plan still is.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jan 7, 2019

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Mister Facetious posted:

Guillotine.

I was looking up plans on the various carriers tonight, and it's just loving ridiculous how good that Public Mobile 12gb/$120/3mo (currently $108) plan still is.

Yeah I look at my upgrade options every once and a while and it's just unbeatable

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I'm on the $60 for 10GB with Virgin and probably should have stayed with the $30 for 1GB or whatever I had before because I rarely use more than a gig. Although it's pretty nice when I'm traveling.

That said, I was almost over for the month on my home internet, so I was using cell data to watch Twitch late in the evening of December 30th. And somehow that resulted in 8GB used on my January. I guess I should figure out when they start counting for the month, because that seems kinda weird and could be expensive.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

I ran out of data for the month. These were my top-up options:

(2 of 2) To unpause your data, reply with one of the following data options which is valid until the end of your bill cycle:
- 22YES to get 1GB at $22.00
- 12YES to get 300MB at $12.00
- YES to get 100MB of data for $7

Or visit koodo.com/datatopups

7 bucks for 100 megs. Get hosed, koodoo.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Twitch has settings as high as 1080p60 @ 6+ Mbps iirc; it can easily eat bandwidth data if you just let it run.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Yeah, I'm not about to go over, so I'm not concerned about it, I was just surprised that watching from around 8-11pm Mountain on December 30th went all on January's bill.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

odiv posted:

Yeah, I'm not about to go over, so I'm not concerned about it, I was just surprised that watching from around 8-11pm Mountain on December 30th went all on January's bill.

The cap period doesn't necessarily go straight by calendar month, it's based on your billing period.

I'm on that exact same plan and it'll say what day your usage resets on your account management page when you log in (for example, mine resets on the 2nd of the month.)

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I just checked again because I was certain the rollover was Jan 1st (and it was), but I just saw that the 8GB has been moved back to December. so :shrug:

It was definitely in January when I first checked (because December's total was unavailable), but maybe when it's that close to the date it adjusts after the fact. I dunno. Weird. Thanks for prompting me to look again though.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

odiv posted:

I'm on the $60 for 10GB with Virgin and probably should have stayed with the $30 for 1GB or whatever I had before because I rarely use more than a gig. Although it's pretty nice when I'm traveling.

That said, I was almost over for the month on my home internet, so I was using cell data to watch Twitch late in the evening of December 30th. And somehow that resulted in 8GB used on my January. I guess I should figure out when they start counting for the month, because that seems kinda weird and could be expensive.

It's hosed you have a limit on your home internet tbh.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Yay, nothern Canada!

I recently called to bring my cap down from 300GB/mo to 200GB/mo to save a little money. After the call there was a survey and I figured, "Eh, why not?"

The first question was "Have you recommended our services?". 1 for Yes, 2 for No.

After I hit 1 the second question wanted me to say why I had recommended them and I was laughing too hard to say "You have a loving monopoly." so I just hung up.

odiv fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jan 8, 2019

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
lol Koodo now doesn't let you talk to someone on the phone before you go through first their chatbot, then a live person on chat. Only then will they schedule a callback, no you can't just hold for an agent.

This is the future. :canada:

Meanwhile you see T-Mobile going the opposite way down south and going to no menus, just agent right away and you appreciate how special we have it up here.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Well then pay your extra $30 a month for Telus you cheap screw

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
T-Mobile also just got caught mining and selling customer data and running a massively insecure network.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I tweeted Koodo to see when we might get pie on our p20 and p20 pro, they sent me an article saying we should have gotten it a month ago. What gives? Are they stiffing us cause we arrested that bitch for dealing with Iran?

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

codo27 posted:

I tweeted Koodo to see when we might get pie on our p20 and p20 pro, they sent me an article saying we should have gotten it a month ago. What gives? Are they stiffing us cause we arrested that bitch for dealing with Iran?

Nah, just executing tourists.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

We finally got pie on our P20/Pro's last night. Is peace between Canada and China far behind??

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

codo27 posted:

We finally got pie on our P20/Pro's last night. Is peace between Canada and China far behind??

So they get into an international scuffle and suddenly your phone has new software to run? :tinfoil:

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Is it not common knowledge that all ZTE and Huawei phone are loaded to the brim with data collection and spy software?

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

JoelJoel posted:

Is it not common knowledge that all ZTE and Huawei phone are loaded to the brim with data collection and spy software?

Oh absolutely

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

JoelJoel posted:

I don't have time right now to research ZTE, but for Huawei, no it's not?

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/59w49b/huawei-surveillance-no-evidence
https://www.zdnet.com/article/paranoia-will-destroy-you-why-chinese-tech-isnt-spying-on-us/

Either put up hard evidence that spy software has been found in Huawei/ZTE phones on the market and they are "loaded to the brim", or don't post unfounded suspicions/rumours like that.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I dont have any illusions about data privacy, I just accept it basically. But I have to say the P20P is the best phone I've ever had. I cant really think of a complaint aside from having to wait a little longer for pie which is meaningless. My only complaint was volume turning down each time I shut off my car but thats fixed now with Pie and music auto starts as it should too, so I'm happy. Got a full 48 hours on the battery the other day too, with 7 or 8% left to spare or something.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

CLAM DOWN posted:

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/59w49b/huawei-surveillance-no-evidence
https://www.zdnet.com/article/paranoia-will-destroy-you-why-chinese-tech-isnt-spying-on-us/

Either put up hard evidence that spy software has been found in Huawei/ZTE phones on the market and they are "loaded to the brim", or don't post unfounded suspicions/rumours like that.

You must be pretty naive if you believe because there’s no “hard evidence” and your rebuttal is a loving vice article. Huawei absolutely is a branch of the Chinese government. You’d have to be stupid to buy anything from them.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

JoelJoel posted:

If you're asking "Do they come with the Android operating system?" then yes, absolutely; that's half of Google's business model.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

JoelJoel posted:

it's common knowledge that this kind of post elicits a loving lol

I missed this one, this one too

Nitr0 posted:

You must be pretty naive if you believe because there’s no “hard evidence” and your rebuttal is a loving vice article. Huawei absolutely is a branch of the Chinese government. You’d have to be stupid to buy anything from them.

Better wrap your phones in tinfoil cuz y'all are already using HW technology.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

CLAM DOWN posted:

Multiple countries (not just the US!) have banned the use of Huawei networking hardware due to security concerns. I don't think it's a stretch to think that their phones might have similar issues. Whether or not this actually matters to the average person is something else entirely.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
If you're on your phone in Canada there's a pretty good chance your data is passing through Telus' client-facing Huawei equipment at some point anyways, so who cares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

My South Korean phone assembled in China using an American OS.

Canada will be the first to fall... :tinfoil: