Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

X3 had the same problem with energy cells.

Amusingly in X3 I never got to the point of ecell problems, but I always had a lot of trouble outfitting medium sized ships. Like for whatever reason medium shields would always be out of stock almost everywhere so it was an annoying long time of jumping all around to find some. Also satellites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Gorelab posted:

Amusingly in X3 I never got to the point of ecell problems, but I always had a lot of trouble outfitting medium sized ships. Like for whatever reason medium shields would always be out of stock almost everywhere so it was an annoying long time of jumping all around to find some. Also satellites.

With X3 my biggest reason to become a TITAN OF INDUSTRY was to support my own factories pumping out weapons, shields, and other junk for outfitting my fleet. I liked that there was a sort of progression to it; trade myself in small commodities until I could hire a UT, hire more UT's while I explored the universe, hunted pirates, and set up a satellite network, start building to fill supply gaps in systems, then start building my own fleet and company support infrastructure.

God drat I want this to be X3: Prettier With Quality of Life Improvements Edition.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

popewiles posted:

Release is just over a week away, has any new information been posted anywhere? The news section on the Egosoft website hasn't been updated since October 1st.

No they're on a bit of an information blackout, which is kinda normal for egosoft as far as I can remember. They're an old company and it really shows in their marketing strategy which is like, 1999 as hell.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Any indication of what timeline this game takes place in? Anything someone who played a few hundred hours of X3-AP would recognize?

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

NeurosisHead posted:

With X3 my biggest reason to become a TITAN OF INDUSTRY was to support my own factories pumping out weapons, shields, and other junk for outfitting my fleet. I liked that there was a sort of progression to it; trade myself in small commodities until I could hire a UT, hire more UT's while I explored the universe, hunted pirates, and set up a satellite network, start building to fill supply gaps in systems, then start building my own fleet and company support infrastructure.

God drat I want this to be X3: Prettier With Quality of Life Improvements Edition.

Needing factories once you're outfitting entire fleets is nice, needing to scrounge like mad to outfit you're first corvette is a bit over the top.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

After Rebirth, and Rebirth takes place like, a century or two after the gate system collapsed I think? A long time, basically. Nothing remains of the former universe either stylistically or even technologically. Much tech was lost (no jump drives in X4) and gate separation has encouraged technology to further exploit within solar systems (highways and trans orbital accelerators) and everyone has wildly redesigned their ships.

Essentially it has some of the X races and locations in it but the places are unrecognizable as is much of the technology.

It technically follows a single plot but it's arbitrarily removed both in distance and in time from earlier games.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

OwlFancier posted:

After Rebirth, and Rebirth takes place like, a century or two after the gate system collapsed I think? A long time, basically. Nothing remains of the former universe either stylistically or even technologically. Much tech was lost (no jump drives in X4) and gate separation has encouraged technology to further exploit within solar systems (highways and trans orbital accelerators) and everyone has wildly redesigned their ships.

Essentially it has some of the X races and locations in it but the places are unrecognizable as is much of the technology.

It technically follows a single plot but it's arbitrarily removed both in distance and in time from earlier games.

Enough time to create a blank slate for a narrative. Although with 500 some odd hours in X3 I couldn't tell you a loving thing about the story in that game so I'm not too concerned either way!

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

X:Rebirth is like 30ish years I thought long enough that people have had to adapt to the new gateless world, but there are people who remember the pre-closure universe too.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Gorelab posted:

X:Rebirth is like 30ish years I thought long enough that people have had to adapt to the new gateless world, but there are people who remember the pre-closure universe too.

Really??? I thought it was a lot longer than that.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
As someone who never played Rebirth what killed the gate system and how did everyone move between systems?

Did the gate builders finally get tired of our poo poo and closed them down?

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

Travic posted:

As someone who never played Rebirth what killed the gate system and how did everyone move between systems?

exactly that, the space ring around Earth got rammed for... some reason? that caused a giant hellwar between the argon and terrans, and the ancients decided to shut the network down. the replacement for that is big space highways that let you move really fast inside them

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Travic posted:

Not known. Possibly the builders turned them off, possibly the big gate control center you find in X3 went boom and broke the system.

People didn't move between systems. Rebirth starts you off in a society that assumes the gates are forever dead. They expanded into wherever they were stuck when they turned off. The plot of rebirth is that they start turning back on and connecting to random places, which have had varying degrees of success at surviving after the shutoff.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

NeurosisHead posted:

Enough time to create a blank slate for a narrative. Although with 500 some odd hours in X3 I couldn't tell you a loving thing about the story in that game so I'm not too concerned either way!

Here is the story of X3:

Make dank rear end space weed.
Make profits.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
should've called it X: Afterbirth

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Gorelab posted:

Needing factories once you're outfitting entire fleets is nice, needing to scrounge like mad to outfit you're first corvette is a bit over the top.

NeurosisHead posted:

Leal posted:

Make dank rear end space weed.
Make profits.

My ambitious(?) Dreams of becoming bargain bin Star Fox. Sponsored by space weed and space weed accessories.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I just really want to be a space hauler, carrying cargo around the galaxy in a huge cargo ship.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I said come in! posted:

I just really want to be a space hauler, carrying cargo around the galaxy in a huge cargo ship.

Elite dangerous has you covered there.

The only experience close to the X games would be running an Eve online alliance.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Space trucking in E:D was kinda boring because there was just nothing else to look at past a spinning cube station or whatever. The backdrops are interesting but only so interesting after a while.

The sheer traffic in X3 made space trucking more fun.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

E:D's space trucking also has too much poo poo to do. Can't really look away or you'll probably miss your target.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

hobbesmaster posted:

Elite dangerous has you covered there.

The only experience close to the X games would be running an Eve online alliance.

Unlike E:D, space trucking is a means to an actual greater end, as in there's actual progression past being a space trucker.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
So how well did loving with the various races work out in Rebirth? One of my biggest complaints with X3 is how factions can endlessly throw ships at you when you start blowing poo poo up.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

hobbesmaster posted:

X3 had the same problem with energy cells.

Yeah, but that’s why it was the first step usually. 1.5 million and it starts plugging that gap in the Argon economy until you can engage in the ore shortage.

There’s a quality of life mod that adds a neutral fusion reactor plant and a metal plates plant in the safer backwaters of Albion that i highly recommend for Rebirth.

Edit: timeline of the universe so far. http://www.argonopedia.org/wiki/Timeline

Hav fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Nov 22, 2018

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Is it a red flag that the game is supposed to be coming out like in 2 weeks and we're not hearing anything?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

They hyped the gently caress out of rebirth and it was garbage so :shrug:

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Is it a red flag that the game is supposed to be coming out like in 2 weeks and we're not hearing anything?
I don't think so. Egosoft seems to just be crunch-timing it and saying that you'll be able to see people review the game when it releases and you can buy it if you like it.

Which is true, people will buy if its a good game. Still, it wouldn't hurt to feed the hype a bit.

Edit: Yes, they seem to be doing the opposite of what they did with Rebirth, so I guess they have confidence in it. They were already pretty well along with the game when they had those Q&A sessions last year.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
i want to play the space game

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

mods changed my name posted:

:same:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

mods changed my name posted:

:hai:

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The only crunch time I care about is when my expectations collide with the actual game I've already purchased

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Station platforms are looking really nice.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
You can walk around on those, right?

Have they said much about what ship boarding will be like in this? I'm guessing despite more first-person bits (like walking around on your ship), there won't be any actual FPS combat.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Drunk in Space posted:

You can walk around on those, right?

Have they said much about what ship boarding will be like in this? I'm guessing despite more first-person bits (like walking around on your ship), there won't be any actual FPS combat.
Yes to walking, based on screenshots. I certainly loving hope not to shooting, based on Rebirth.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Rime posted:

Yes to walking, based on screenshots. I certainly loving hope not to shooting, based on Rebirth.

If there was fps combat I think they would have shown it. It seems to be limited to portwalking around the station decks, cockpits of your ships and reportedly some sections of larger ships.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

They did mention EVA combat, though I believe only in reference to placing charges on another ship.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
I really hope you don't have to walk around stations to do basic stuff like trading, that would get old real fast.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
In Rebirth, they responded to player complaints by making the walking stuff optional. One of the main problems with walking was that the joystick response on my Steam controller felt terrible compared to everything else designed for Xbox controllers.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
That, and the whole miles of bland hallways to find a random npc who insulted you, just to trade poo poo, part.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Space trucking in E:D was kinda boring because there was just nothing else to look at past a spinning cube station or whatever. The backdrops are interesting but only so interesting after a while.

The sheer traffic in X3 made space trucking more fun.

This is why I like X better than E:D, plus I just couldn't wrap my head around the learning curve in E:D. I felt like that game was too intense with its flight model. Plus X4 will hopefully have the same cheat menu as X3, that made the game so much fun to play.

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747

OwlFancier posted:

Station platforms are looking really nice.

The Argon Nova (top ship) looks like crap though. Much prefer the one in the foreground. I wonder which one that is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

E:D's flight model is like one of the few places where it felt really good to me. Otherwise it felt like they didn't figure out what they wanted their gameplay loop to be and everything doesn't pay nearly enough and there's nothing to really worth for other than grinding credits for bigger ships. I love occasionally flying my FAS in combat though.