Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Rollersnake posted:

Jesus Christ. Having the sudden revelation that maybe the reason I don't like wine is because it's spoiled. I thought it just kept forever unrefrigerated, like most liquor.

It'll be fine for a long time as long as it's unopened, but once oxygen starts getting in there it doesn't have long to live. Vacuum sealing and chilling prolong this process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
This is not meant as an insult, but how do you not know to refrigerate white wine? It’s not like it’s a secret the elite wine hoarders don’t want you to know

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
It's easy to not know about refrigerating wine, when nobody ever brings it up, and even media doesn't talk about it.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I think my dad always left his wine unrefrigerated, but also my dad is gross and legitimately can't tell if food is freezer burned or not. I guess I just assumed that was normal and not another one of his gross habits. You don't refrigerate liquor, and wine has a higher alcohol content than beer, so it made sense that you were supposed to treat it the same way.

I've cooked with sherry that has been open and left unrefrigerated in a cabinet for weeks/months, and never noticed anything wrong. This is seriously blowing my mind.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I mean yeah but... just living with food and drinks in general, doesn’t everyone check what is and isn’t safe to keep unrefridgerated?

Edit: I guess not. Please don’t die from botulism friends

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Well, when other bottled liquids (sauces/marinades in particular) have to be refrigerated after being opened, the bottle will have that printed on it. So if there's nothing there, people will assume it doesn't matter, especially since many other resealable bottled drinks don't need refrigeration.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

KataraniSword posted:

Pizzologist said it was fulla "casu marzu". Someone puts some on a kid's pizza, next thing they know they're keeled over in the bathroom crappin' out maggots.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I guess it follows that wine cellars exclusively contain unopened bottles of wine then. I'm serious, I legitimately had no idea, and never cared enough about wine (because spoiled wine that I didn't know was spoiled is disgusting) to have the opportunity to realize anything was wrong.

Edit: Also my wife who I've lived with for ten years doesn't drink, and I've never seen her parents drink wine, so it's not like she'd know either.

Rollersnake has a new favorite as of 03:01 on Nov 22, 2018

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Sorry you've been drinking grapey vinegar your whole life.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Dude you would be SHOCKED the poo poo people don't know. My wife is a member of a Facebook breastfeeding group, and someone shared their story that they were told to eat oatmeal twice a day by their lactation consultant. A year later, she saw her again and weighted an extra 100 pounds. This woman had been eating a bowl of oatmeal cookies twice a day for a year. SHE DID NOT KNOW THAT OATMEAL WAS A THING OUTSIDE COOKIES.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

But like, how do you not notice the wine has gone bad? Like you open it and it tastes nice then you go back to it a week or two later and it tastes gross, and something doesn't go click?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Rollersnake posted:

I guess it follows that wine cellars exclusively contain unopened bottles of wine then.
Technically no. They do a thing with really expensive wines where they open them up to make sure they're still good, top them up and reseal them.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

I mean yall have been talking about alcohol for a good page now and I have no idea what any of it is or what it's like, lmao

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Yawgmoth posted:

The Pizzanomicon

The Pizzanomicon Ex Meatis. Go right or go home.

Sweet As Sin
May 8, 2007

Hee-ho!!!

Grimey Drawer
It came from Facebook

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Not quite the same as the wine issues, but some years ago my sister and I were making a vodka cream sauce for dinner and dug through our parents liquor cabinet for a bottle of vodka and it had a Wisconsin liquor board seal on it. My parents hadn't lived in or near Wisconsin for well over 20 years at that point.

When we tried to remove the cork, it disintegrated and fell into the bottle :randno:

We had our parents pick up a new bottle for us to finish cooking

My parents also dumped a ton of old, vinegary wine on my sister when she was in gradschool since grad students will drink anything

The Glumslinger has a new favorite as of 05:46 on Nov 22, 2018

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Sweet As Sin posted:

It came from Facebook

That’s a great looking eelskin pie you are in the wrong thread human

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Sweet As Sin posted:

It came from Facebook

you got to label this poo poo. the imagination runs rampant.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
I'm going to guess banana cream pie with hideously overripe bananas.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

My Lovely Horse posted:

Hey, don't badmouth the DoNatto (available soon in NYC and shortly afterwards loving everywhere, probably).

CroNatto if you REALLY want it to take off.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Sweet As Sin posted:

It came from Facebook

The only thing my brain can settle on is 'cream of mushroom pie'.

Is it some kind of casserole in a pie tin?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Dixville posted:

Seriously though ginger candies are amazing to help with nausea and I think they are tasty. I get the Gin Gins brand hard candies. They are pretty spicy though, kinda like ginger beer. I remember the first time I tried one, I thought it was way too intense but after I knew what to expect it grew on me.

Candied ginger got me through my ulcer. I got so well known for it, one family member STILL sends me GinGins every year for Christmas. (The Hot Coffee ones taste AMAZING)

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

LadyPictureShow posted:

The only thing my brain can settle on is 'cream of mushroom pie'.

Is it some kind of casserole in a pie tin?

I think it's banana cream.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

JacquelineDempsey posted:

WORD. I've been tasked with coming up with the weekly omelet specials at work lately, and my latest idea was a "muffuletta" --- stuffed with chopped deli meats and cheeses, and topped with my olive/giardiniera tapenade which was the tiiiiits. I had a hard time not stuffing my face with the olive salad every time I made one.

SO would. SO WOULD. In fact, why can't I?

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Most of the "wave a sealed bottle of vermouth over the shaker" martini stuff comes from Winston Churchill, and hipsters who think he was a cool dude to be emulated, and not the aggressive drunkard who couldn't govern an empty room if he wasn't three sheets to the wind within 15 minutes of awakening like he actually was.

Carnival of Shrews
Mar 27, 2013

You're not David Attenborough

The Glumslinger posted:

Not quite the same as the wine issues, but some years ago my sister and I were making a vodka cream sauce for dinner and dug through our parents liquor cabinet for a bottle of vodka and it had a Wisconsin liquor board seal on it. My parents hadn't lived in or near Wisconsin for well over 20 years at that point.

When we tried to remove the cork, it disintegrated and fell into the bottle :randno:

We had our parents pick up a new bottle for us to finish cooking

Spirits of 40% abv (or more) that are several decades old will still be good. Since vodka is basically just water and ethanol, I think the stuff would have been fine to cook with - after filtering out the bits of cork - and probably to drink. I would definitely have tried it to check.

'Have a Sip' posted:

As a general rule, the higher the alcohol content, the longer the drink can last. Brandies, especially, tend to last well, with an handful of pre-revolutionary bottles doing the rounds.

In 2012, Salvatore Calabrese, a barman at the Playboy club, concocted a cocktail that included a shot of 1778 Clos de Griffier Vieux Cognac, a 1770 Kummel liqueur, a circa 1860 Dubb Orange Curaçao and a couple of dashes of Angostura bitters that dated from around 1900. It cost £5,500 a glass.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/food-and-drink/drinks/what-does-152-year-old-port-taste-like/

Maybe don't have a sip:

The Speyer Wine Bottle, the oldest still-sealed wine bottle ever found.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Same. Love me some Food Lion knock-off Crispix, the oh-so-creatively named Crispy Hexagons. (No, seriously, I do love them, they taste exactly the same, half the price, and have a box that cracks you up when you're high and eating cereal)

Also, I'd insert a still/gif from Repo Man if I wasn't on this lovely tablet. If anyone gets the reference and wants to do the needful...

Like so?

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Carnival of Shrews posted:

'An attempt to prepare a Cockatrice from this receipt'

I wouldn't eat it, but if you wear sturdy gloves it can be good for smacking around pets and monsters with if you need decorative statues.
        /
  @

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

It's possible, but unlikely. Presented for evidence:

'An attempt to prepare a Cockatrice from this receipt'

The colors are making whichever part of the unconscious mind that judges food scream "ROTTEN DO NO EAT!"

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

darthbob88 posted:

I will take your word on that.

Anyway, stealing content from Tumblr, the 'cereal before milk or milk before cereal' debate ends now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02UQwURQ9PI&t=42s

Cereal before milk, unless you are seriously plowing through the cereal before finishing the milk, in which case it is acceptable to add more cereal to the existing milk.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

HookedOnChthonics posted:

St. Louis style pizza is pretty under- (over?)-rated as far as strage, terrible regional pizza mutations go. Unleavened cracker crust, enough toppings to constitute a very respectable salad, and almost exclusively Provel cheese, a blend of cheddar, provolone, and swiss consumed, as far as I can tell, only in the St. louis area. Square-cut.

Sort of a halfway point between mainstream pizza and loaded nachos

Have.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset

Stairs posted:

Lol @ you booze snobs.
Just drink Thunderbird out of a paper sack while curled in a corner crying like the rest of us.

I drank Thunderbird once, just out of curiosity. It was...very much like drinking pale yellow kerosene. I mean, I didn't really know what that tasted like until I drank Thunderbird. It was unpleasant af.

As a teen I did the Boone's Farm, the Mad Dog 20/20, Zimas, etc. Thunderbird wasn't the worst of the lot, though. I straight poured a bottle of blue raspberry Mad Dog down the drain because that stuff tasted like pure sugar poison.

Anyway, I've never had a proper martini and since I love olives, I think I'd like to drink a dirty one sometime.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Samizdata posted:

Cereal before milk, unless you are seriously plowing through the cereal before finishing the milk, in which case it is acceptable to add more cereal to the existing milk.

You're 25 pages and three weeks late my dude that ship has sailed

Loutre
Jan 14, 2004

✓COMFY
✓CLASSY
✓HORNY
✓PEPSI

Sweet As Sin posted:

It came from Facebook

Throwing my guess in for "old fashioned cream pie"

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Loutre posted:

Throwing my guess in for "old fashioned cream pie"

how's your mom doing these days

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Randaconda posted:

how's your mom doing these days

:cumpolice:

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

empty sea posted:

I drank Thunderbird once, just out of curiosity. It was...very much like drinking pale yellow kerosene. I mean, I didn't really know what that tasted like until I drank Thunderbird. It was unpleasant af.

I could never handle Thunderbird, or MD2020. My go to "wine before you're old enough" was Boones Farm stuff that was so prevalent in the late 70s. Kool-aide with alcohol. I think the contemporary equivalent is probably Arbor Mist. Speaking of kerosene, I once "tried" an IPA (purportedly) from a local craft brew place that tasted exactly the same way lacquer thinner smells. Yeah, we never stepped within 100 yards of that place again.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Spirits of 40% abv (or more) that are several decades old will still be good. Since vodka is basically just water and ethanol, I think the stuff would have been fine to cook with - after filtering out the bits of cork - and probably to drink. I would definitely have tried it to check.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/food-and-drink/drinks/what-does-152-year-old-port-taste-like/

Maybe don't have a sip:

The Speyer Wine Bottle, the oldest still-sealed wine bottle ever found.

You ain't fooling me, that's a fetus in a bottle

Edit I actually remember my mom and I finding some old wine bottle at my grandma's house after she passed away and we filtered the cork chunks out and tried to drink it, wasn't worth it. But that wasn't any fancy rich folk wine

Dixville has a new favorite as of 15:05 on Nov 22, 2018

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Sweet As Sin posted:

It came from Facebook

Don't knock my mom's famous fried chicken crust and gravy filling pie tia

You gotta get the gravy skin just right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Dixville posted:

Edit I actually remember my mom and I finding some old wine bottle at my grandma's house after she passed away and we filtered the cork chunks out and tried to drink it, wasn't worth it. But that wasn't any fancy rich folk wine

Most wine isn't actually intended to age like that and shouldn't be kept around for more than a couple years. It's a popular myth that all wine is better with age. Only some wines, and only if stored properly.

Similar thing with whiskeys. They won't go bad (as long as you keep them in the dark and steady temperature) but once they're out of the barrel and in the bottle they don't age anymore.