Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Beasteh posted:

there are a few NPC lines that specifically refer to Kris as he/him
Can you quote them? Because you seem to be the only one who saw them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
https://twitter.com/kanotynes/status/1063638095818575872
https://twitter.com/kanotynes/status/1065404366180495360

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Fangz posted:

Kris is Frisk except no one pays them any respect

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Re: pronouns, I certainly don't recall any evidence in two playthroughs that Kris is expressly male or female.

OTOH, I don't think there's any real harm in someone saying "he" or "she" based on their own interpretation of the character, because Kris is a fictional character without feelings or agency and not a person. The main reason to respect other peoples' pronouns and not project or make assumptions about them is because it's kind and courteous; you are under no obligation to be courteous to a fictional character.

Which is why I can safely say, itt, before God and the forums, that Ralsei is a little bitch

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Ralsei is cute but that's about it.

Susie rules though. The power of mean girls shines within me.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Okay so, none of the save points mention determination anymore. Instead, they all mention power. Let me just quote Chara here:
"With your guidance. I realized the purpose of my reincarnation. Power."
I don't think this is a coincidence.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

I just realized I hadn't seen anyone mention it yet, and deltarune is obviously a prequel in some form to at least the ps4 version of Undertale. Within the grand multiverse relative timeline sense of things anyway.

In the ps4 release there is the dog shrine with a donation box. In the switch release the dog shrine has been fully upgraded by donations but then destroyed. In deltarune the tutorial guys mention they used to have a donation box but it was stolen, and now they just have a donation hole. Which most likely means the lovely dog stole it for the ps4 release.

E: thinking more on the subject , prequel vs sequel vs concurrent status actually depends on how recent the theft is, but the universes are connected in spite of being seperate.

Gruckles fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Nov 22, 2018

risky business
Oct 9, 2012

Barns?

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

Re: pronouns, I certainly don't recall any evidence in two playthroughs that Kris is expressly male or female.

OTOH, I don't think there's any real harm in someone saying "he" or "she" based on their own interpretation of the character, because Kris is a fictional character without feelings or agency and not a person. The main reason to respect other peoples' pronouns and not project or make assumptions about them is because it's kind and courteous; you are under no obligation to be courteous to a fictional character.

Which is why I can safely say, itt, before God and the forums, that Ralsei is a little bitch

While you're correct that Kris is a fictional character and that they cannot be harmed by misgendering, there are a lot of Undertale and Deltarune fans who are nonbinary and/or trans, a lot of them attracted by the amount of characters who use they/them pronouns (outside the humans, there's Napstablook and Monster Kid, for starters, plus a few others I'm forgetting this moment).

Unfortunately, a lot of nonbinary people have to deal with daily erasure of their identities in real life and the daily assumption that they have to be one or the other binary gender. Fiction can provide a nice escape from that for a bit.

You're not doing any harm to Kris by using he or she for them, but using they/them for them is a small, low-cost act that can leave actual real people feeling a little less alienated in an often hostile society.

If you don't do that, then, well, most people will just shrug it off and move on. At this point, I'm pretty numb to it on the whole. But why not go for the simple, easy canon-compliant option, if you can?

Also, Ralsei is a precious fluffy boy.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
Looking through the text dump, there's 1 mention of Kris using "they/them" (during the box puzzle). That's more evidence than he or she, if you're a stickler for that sort of thing.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I don't think I said it before but I liked Susie's bullying work in the beginning. That was pretty solid 'I'm gonna kill you' stuff rather than it being like the whole shoving on a playground thing that generally gets shown on movies or whatever. Though, if Catti's working after school this has gotta be like, high school class or something.

Also, small thing I got wrong because I'm stupid I'm talking about the last 28 seconds of the game I thought Chara was materializing a knife out of nothing rather than turning their hand to show that they had it.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Aisu posted:

While you're correct that Kris is a fictional character and that they cannot be harmed by misgendering, there are a lot of Undertale and Deltarune fans who are nonbinary and/or trans, a lot of them attracted by the amount of characters who use they/them pronouns (outside the humans, there's Napstablook and Monster Kid, for starters, plus a few others I'm forgetting this moment).

Unfortunately, a lot of nonbinary people have to deal with daily erasure of their identities in real life and the daily assumption that they have to be one or the other binary gender. Fiction can provide a nice escape from that for a bit.

I see what you're saying and totally respect this.

A thing I would contend - and this isn't really an argument, because I think what you're saying is a totally valid way to look at it - is that with Frisk and Kris specifically, I strongly suspect the intent of their ambiguity is to allow the player to project themselves onto the player character. There are other little things in Undertale that serve this function, too, like what Frisk's life and family are like outside of the Underground. Therefore, it's less that Frisk (for ex) is canonically enby and more that they have no canon gender identity at all; in the end, "Frisk" isn't making choices and has no personality (or gender identity) other than what we imbue them with.

What makes this super interesting is that Deltarune looks like it's probably going to very directly confront this idea - that the character Kris resists our attempts to control them - so it's entirely possible that at some point in the game we'll learn more concrete facts about their identity and possibly have the option to comply with their narrative of who they are or reject it (maybe with disastrous consequences for the player, Kris, or both).

risky business
Oct 9, 2012

Barns?

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

I see what you're saying and totally respect this.

A thing I would contend - and this isn't really an argument, because I think what you're saying is a totally valid way to look at it - is that with Frisk and Kris specifically, I strongly suspect the intent of their ambiguity is to allow the player to project themselves onto the player character. There are other little things in Undertale that serve this function, too, like what Frisk's life and family are like outside of the Underground. Therefore, it's less that Frisk (for ex) is canonically enby and more that they have no canon gender identity at all; in the end, "Frisk" isn't making choices and has no personality (or gender identity) other than what we imbue them with.

What makes this super interesting is that Deltarune looks like it's probably going to very directly confront this idea - that the character Kris resists our attempts to control them - so it's entirely possible that at some point in the game we'll learn more concrete facts about their identity and possibly have the option to comply with their narrative of who they are or reject it (maybe with disastrous consequences for the player, Kris, or both).

Yeah, I feel like at the current moment projecting onto Kris seems to maybe not be the best path. Possibly they'll reveal their identity and it will be something other than nonbinary, possibly they'll confirm that they're totally 100% agender, possibly that aspect will be left ambiguous but we'll learn more about their life as a whole, who knows. They definitely seem to be a defined person in a lot of ways, so. The safe bet seems to be sticking with neutrality, because there's no way for that to be wrong.

And, in general, that's my stance for the other kids too, for headcanon-neutral stuff like "discussing the themes of the game" or whatever (as opposed to fanart/fanfic, which, like, I'm not likely to read something that stresses how Kris is the Manliest Man to Ever Man but whatever you do you) - there's really no way to go wrong with they/them, and using it is at the worst neutral and at best positive.

Residual Toast
Nov 19, 2007
The Toast with the Most
minor ending spoiler/question/theory

So is Chara-Kris the one drinking the milk in the alley after eating pies at night?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Residual Toast posted:

So is Chara-Kris the one drinking the milk in the alley after eating pies at night?

Yes

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I feel like it's important for Kris, Frisk, and Chara to all be non-binary and to be openly acknowledge and referred to as such because right now the only other non-binary characters in popular games are [FILE NOT FOUND].

There's a lot of female representation in games.

There's a lot of male representation in games.

There's not a lot of non-binary representation anywhere.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Don't know if anyone has mentioned it yet but Deltarune is an anagram for Undertale.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Frankston posted:

Don't know if anyone has mentioned it yet but Deltarune is an anagram for Undertale.

It’s also an anagram of Nude Alert :eng101:

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

And Elude Rant, very important on this Thanksgiving holiday.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I feel like it's important for Kris, Frisk, and Chara to all be non-binary and to be openly acknowledge and referred to as such because right now the only other non-binary characters in popular games are [FILE NOT FOUND].

There's no indication of that either. If anything, that kind of stance is non-inclusive of every binary-gendered player.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

McFrugal posted:

There's no indication of that either. If anything, that kind of stance is non-inclusive of every binary-gendered player.

As a binary-gendered player, lemme say that I do not feel excluded because, as noted, there are actually lots of games with binary characters.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpnnrxKxRVc This is a really sweet cover of Field of Hopes and Dreams, and possibly better than RichaadEB's.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

GunnerJ posted:

As a binary-gendered player, lemme say that I do not feel excluded because, as noted, there are actually lots of games with binary characters.

I meant specifically Deltarune and Undertale and the implied player-specific gender that the main characters have. If you try to push that they're male, or female, or neither, you're both missing the point and pushing away players that perceive the game(s) in their own way.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Nov 22, 2018

GeminiSun
Feb 16, 2011

GunnerJ posted:

:emptyquote:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

McFrugal posted:

:allears:

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

kris is just thinkin about thos pies

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Roobanguy posted:

kris is just thinkin bout those pies

hell, same

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Roobanguy posted:

kris is just thinkin about thos pies

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

How about non-binary species representation? I myself am a level 9 pyrofox.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
oh poo poo epic own xd :smugmrgw:

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Laugh away, atleast I have the dog sections of dead to rights to play again and again while I wait for someone to rectify the situation.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ditty bout my clitty posted:

How about non-binary species representation? I myself am a level 9 pyrofox.

does it suddenly smell like reddit in here or is it just me

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Ruffian Price posted:

Honestly I'm convinced that it was never meant to be a metagram (that's when you change a single letter!) of Frisk, just a relatively common androgynous name without going with Alex like everybody else

i think that because the game has other notable anagrams and it's a good androgynous name and it also happens to be a type of knife, it's totally deliberate but not necessarily indicative of a deeper connection to Frisk

Two Inch Bee
Apr 17, 2003
Damn you, Lyle, and damn your style.

Residual Toast posted:

(Source is https://twitter.com/DeclanMcComics, might have some nsfw-ish stuff)

Two Inch Bee fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Nov 23, 2018

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Your Computer posted:

does it suddenly smell like reddit in here or is it just me

MWA HA HA HA!

Tremble, worms, beforest the Duke Of Shitpostes!

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

nine-gear crow posted:

MWA HA HA HA!

Tremble, worms, beforest the Duke Of Shitpostes!

:nah:

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

“Rouxls Kaard” posted:

Thine mad? :trolleface:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

*madst

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
*Art thou maddstedething, worm?

This is the same character that brought us the word "decidedesteth". Always go for maxmimum overwrought.