Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
When are they going to give us Blacktron II collectors some love?

Also, M-tron and Ice Planet.

gently caress Space Police.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
They already did with this dude:

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

When will these grimdark reboots stop?

Real Blacktron smiles as he steals your spacesafe.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
Just swap the head then :cmon:

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Blacktron II grimdark dude was a massive tease for a potential Ice Planet, M-Tron, Spyrius and Explorien cmfs that never became reality.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

Is... is that a laser cane?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I would buy every single set in an Ice Planet sequel line

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Sockser posted:

I would buy every single set in an Ice Planet sequel line

:same:

Deep Freeze Defender was the first "big" set I ever got.

Transparent Orange Chainsaw is my formative memory

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

FBS posted:

:same:

Deep Freeze Defender was the first "big" set I ever got.

Transparent Orange Chainsaw is my formative memory

My very first set was:

Thereafter I would look at the catalogues and lust after the bigger sets (we weren't well off, but I didn't really realise it at the time). Largest set I ever got was the Solar Snooper.

Every year I hint to my wife that what I really want for my birthday is a Mega Core Magnetizer.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
The later 80s and 90s space themes feel so neglected, despite having a lot of adult fans. There's a ton of untapped nostalgia there, that Lego could use to sell products to adult collectors that are in their 30s now.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
grab a mega core magnetizer off bricklink or ebay. it's a fantastic set even today, and just looks great all around built up normally.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Beachcomber posted:

My very first set was:

Thereafter I would look at the catalogues and lust after the bigger sets (we weren't well off, but I didn't really realise it at the time). Largest set I ever got was the Solar Snooper.

Every year I hint to my wife that what I really want for my birthday is a Mega Core Magnetizer.

I could be misremembering but I think my stepbrother had both of those sets. His biomom's parents always got him Lego sets for Christmas. I didn't get any sets of my own until I was in college, and now I probably have too many.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
holy moly, definitely check out walmart.com if you're looking for some deals. ship in a bottle is 55 bucks, a bunch of other sets are 30-40% off too, in addition to the 20 dollar bucket of bricks.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Hopper posted:

Erm ...why is Lenny pink and Jenny white? The answer is probably some complicated explanation about my conservative ideas about gender (or that Kenny is gay), but in the context of happy old time retro space lego I'd have expected it the other way round ... simply because in the 80ie the pink one usually was the girl.

Lenny is a gender neutral name

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Fatkraken posted:

Lenny is a gender neutral name

Yeah, while we're doing 90s nostalgia I should remind everyone that this was the name of one of the girls on GhostWriter.

:colbert:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I really hope that Hopper post is a joke.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Next wave of Star Wars sets

https://www.brothers-brick.com/2018/11/22/lego-star-wars-lineup-for-the-first-half-of-2019-revealed-news/

Woke: mini dewback
Broke: two unpopular ep3 vehicles, one of which looks exactly the same, with the same figs

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I'm happy to see those mini sets, I hope that becomes more of a thing. The prices for the mainstream vehicles and poo poo has gotten absolutely insane in recent years, so it's cool some kids will be able to actually get an x-wing and a-wing without it being the only lego they can afford all year. Plus that they're more basic. The vehicles over the past 10 years or so have been looking great and all but I can't imagine what the hell kid me would have made out of a pile of technic beams and specialized curved plates, which seem to be basically all you get these days for half of them.

also more personally i really like those new green battle droids but then i've always had a soft spot for those figures for some reason, kid me thought they looked cute as hell. i'm glad they weren't putting all the unique colors in $70 sets back then.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Those 4+ X-wing and A-wing sets are adorable. That little stubby X-wing! :swoon:

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

I loved the Minifigures packs you could order from the back of Lego catalogues as a kid. I loved getting them and the printed accessories sets almost as much as the one big set I'd get a year. I only ever got one or two of each but I always flipped to the back of the catalogues to check them out.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Dogen posted:

https://www.brothers-brick.com/2018/11/22/lego-star-wars-lineup-for-the-first-half-of-2019-revealed-news/

Broke: two unpopular ep3 vehicles, one of which looks exactly the same, with the same figs

Have they just given up on the SW sets? Yuck.

There hasn't been anything really good in a year or two.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Since not one, but two people seem to not be getting the extremely obvious joke, the pink one has a male name because you'd likely assume it's a girl because it's pink. Instead it's a guy and that's why it's a joke. Holy moly.

Also, if those characters are in the movie I'd bet money that Lenny is the gruff/badass one.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
As someone who likes minifigs, always glad to see them make creative battlepacks with cool fig inclusions.

As someone who also likes brickbuilt sets, gross

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Or it could be a scene where the girl takes his suit and the only one left is pink and they all laugh at him.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Dogen posted:

Lotta chibi looking stuff this wave. I'm conflicted on how I feel about it. Then again I guess it's for 4 year olds lol. The dewback is pretty awesome but I think I prefer the Dewback big fig. They should have done a Bantha. I'll probably get the battlepacks, Death Star escape (that version of Leia is one of like maybe 10 OT characters I'm missing) if it's not too much of a ripoff, and the tatooine microfighter pack.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

veni veni veni posted:

Lotta chibi looking stuff this wave. I'm conflicted on how I feel about it. Then again I guess it's for 4 year olds lol. The dewback is pretty awesome but I think I prefer the Dewback big fig. They should have done a Bantha. I'll probably get the battlepacks, Death Star escape (that version of Leia is one of like maybe 10 OT characters I'm missing) if it's not too much of a ripoff, and the tatooine microfighter pack.

They’re going to finally announce a set with a Bantha and then I’m going to die before it actually comes out.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

veni veni veni posted:

Lotta chibi looking stuff this wave.

You just described all minifigures.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Waltzing Along posted:

You just described all minifigures.

Obviously I'm talking about the builds not minifigures.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Who is buying all these Kashyyk sets they are releasing.

I am buying the mini Dewback. :kimchi:

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Funny, the Lego movie sets come in age listings of: 2+/4+/5+/6+/7+/8+/9+. I wonder how they make distinctions between single years?

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
I want all of the Chinese New year sets they are ridiculously awesome.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
The two battle packs are really neat, and I like the Rock ‘em Sock ‘em Robot feature of the Praetorian Guards. I find the stud shooters extremely silly though, and wish they’d just use the regular blasters again.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

veni veni veni posted:

Since not one, but two people seem to not be getting the extremely obvious joke, the pink one has a male name because you'd likely assume it's a girl because it's pink. Instead it's a guy and that's why it's a joke. Holy moly.

Also, if those characters are in the movie I'd bet money that Lenny is the gruff/badass one.

I think it was just so obvious no one felt the need to say it.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Dogen posted:

SOLD!

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

smackfu posted:

Funny, the Lego movie sets come in age listings of: 2+/4+/5+/6+/7+/8+/9+. I wonder how they make distinctions between single years?

Average stomach size vs number of small lego parts swallowed for a chance of dying

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

smackfu posted:

I think it’s build complexity. The 4+ sets have large printed elements whereas other sets would use lots of pieces. Like the car in the 4+ Emmit set has a front printed element that in other sets would be like ten pieces with different elements. They’d have a built wall as part of a scene instead of one printed wall piece and a big top piece they have in that 4+. Then some of the older ones like the battle kitty just have way more detail elements, clips and spikes etc. I wonder if they keep clip likes pieces out of younger rated sets if they’re easier to break.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Gotta wonder if the label "Juniors" saw a lack of sales, and the new age range is a way to combine both lines.

Also noticed there's a Mini-Fighter Naboo Starfigher on the back of the box of Maul's ship

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

ChesterJT posted:

I think it was just so obvious no one felt the need to say it.

Apparently not because there were two people that seemed genuinely confused by it. Which is why I did...which I pretty clearly explained in the post you quoted.

Is everyone drinking for thanksgiving already or something?

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Nov 22, 2018

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
It's a an classic space astronaut with a plain face, it's whatever gender you want it to be through the power of ~**imagination**~

Edit: I'd be surprised if the character had more than a handful of lines anyway.

deoju fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Nov 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Scipiotik posted:

I want all of the Chinese New year sets they are ridiculously awesome.

Same, I’d love them all. I hope they can get a more worldwide release.