Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
"Actual liberal values" are turbocapitalism and making sure that nobody who's not at least middle class gets any real power or civil rights, hth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Revelation 2-13 posted:

they were founded by a literal Ayn Rand fetishist 'investment bank' owner

Pretty sure he just bankrolls them, they were founded on the wreckage of Naser Khader's short-lived New Alliance, a supposedly social liberal party founded on the idea of "enough is enough" in regards to DF (lmao), but unlike R willing to work with V and K. How far we've come since...

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Who is a good anarcho-communist supposed to vote for, in this political climate?

Trick question, the answer is obviously "nobody, and throw the capitalists to the lions. No gods, no masters".

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

Cerebral Bore posted:

"Actual liberal values" are turbocapitalism and making sure that nobody who's not at least middle class gets any real power or civil rights, hth.

That's modern liberals (second half of 20th century onwards), hth.

I know, that it kinda doesn't matter for current affairs; but for the record, most of the people calling themselves liberals today, don't actually subscribe to any kind of liberal philosophy. Rather they're just ignorant lasseiz faire capitalists. If they ever opened a book rather than just being force feed snippets of ultra capitalist, neoliberal, neoclassical economic propaganda, they certainly stopped reading Smith after they reached invisible hand of the market - and conveniently neglected to read the rest of the book and therefore haven't read extreme importance he puts in the role of the state in providing eduction, fight disease, his moral focus on the working poor getting enough to live a dignified, and so on and so.

Note; I'm not saying he is good or anything, just that people who claim to be liberals most often are not, and wouldn't know liberal philosophy if it jumped up and bit them in the rear end. Locke was way way worse, but even he has redeeming qualities (such as empiricism). Thomas Paine is the only really good one, but he is quite good. Anyway, "liberals" not knowing what liberalism is, is stupid pet peeve of mine, which doesn't really matter, sorry.

E: yes, I'm extremely fun at parties, why do you ask?

Revelation 2-13 fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Nov 20, 2018

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Revelation 2-13 posted:

That's modern liberals (second half of 20th century onwards), hth.

I know, that it kinda doesn't matter for current affairs; but for the record, most of the people calling themselves liberals today, don't actually subscribe to any kind of liberal philosophy. Rather they're just ignorant lasseiz faire capitalists. If they ever opened a book rather than just being force feed snippets of ultra capitalist, neoliberal, neoclassical economic propaganda, they certainly stopped reading Smith after they reached invisible hand of the market - and conveniently neglected to read the rest of the book and therefore haven't read extreme importance he puts in the role of the state in providing eduction, fight disease, his moral focus on the working poor getting enough to live a dignified, and so on and so.

Note; I'm not saying he is good or anything, just that people who claim to be liberals most often are not, and wouldn't know liberal philosophy if it jumped up and bit them in the rear end. Locke was way way worse, but even he has redeeming qualities (such as empiricism). Thomas Paine is the only really good one, but he is quite good. Anyway, "liberals" not knowing what liberalism is, is stupid pet peeve of mine, which doesn't really matter, sorry.

E: yes, I'm extremely fun at parties, why do you ask?

Actual liberalism as it existed in reality always was way more Locke than it was Paine, and it only moved to the postwar social liberal direction because it was forced there. Modern liberalism is just a return to the norm, hth.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Rust Martialis posted:

<makes strangled vomiting noises>

Please refrain from speaking danish in this thread, it's just common courtesy.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

KozmoNaut posted:

Who is a good anarcho-communist supposed to vote for, in this political climate?

Trick question, the answer is obviously "nobody, and throw the capitalists to the lions. No gods, no masters".

Konfront and Solidaritet are just now launching, time will tell if they're worth anyone's time. Certainly it'll be more interesting than parliamentary politics.

I read a scathing post from Rune Lund about the various ongoing finance scandals, but it ended on a proposal for *drumroll* more regulation. That's literally the leftmost solution to shameless robbery from the public coffers available to Danish voters right now, in a country where the director of the Financial Supervisory Authority can jump straight into the directorship of the lobbying organisation for the largest banks, all of whom have been directly involved in either or several of the following, 1) the largest money laundering operation in world history, 2) tax evasion, 3) dividend tax fraud, 4) VAT refund fraud.

But you'll be happy to know that Shuaib Khan was sentenced to exile by the Supreme Court! We're tough on crime!

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
handouts to the rich to incentivize them to do good things are a great idea and how could it possibly go wrong

quote:

Var femte elbil som exporterats i år har lämnat landet inom sex månader efter att de först registrerades in i fordonsregistret. Vissa företag har kammat hem miljoner i supermiljöbilspremier för att efter så kort tid som 13 dagar exportera bilarna ut ur landet. Det visar Plus undersökning om elbilsexporten.

SVT:s konsumentredaktion Plus har granskat exporten av de elbilar som fått statligt stöd för att rulla på svenska vägar, men som i många fall istället hamnar i Norge.

När redaktionen tittar närmare visar det sig att vissa företag tagit emot supermiljöbilspremier för bilar som exporterats snart efter köpet. Var femte elbil som exporterats i år har lämnat landet inom ett halvår, visar redaktionens granskning.

(...)

Plus granskning visar också att bara sju procent av de statliga premiepengarna har gått till privatpersoner. Majoriteten av pengarna har istället gått till olika företag som hyr ut bilarna.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Nov 21, 2018

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
Miljöpolitik was a mistake

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

It's amazingly stupid to hand out the bonus instantly upon purchase. Why not tie it to besiktningen so that reach year the car is useable in Sweden gives the owner a n:th of the premium.

E: took out grumpy early morning hot take.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

This policy is stupid and inefficient period, like even before this kind of abuse factors into the equation.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
My Swedish is horrible, but isn't this rebate akin to how Denmark became Tesla's best market, with the reduction in the registration tax? There's a Tesla dealership near me in Kastrup now that looks deserted since they eliminated the break.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Rust Martialis posted:

My Swedish is horrible, but isn't this rebate akin to how Denmark became Tesla's best market, with the reduction in the registration tax? There's a Tesla dealership near me in Kastrup now that looks deserted since they eliminated the break.

In Sweden you get the equivalent to 3900 euros if you buy an electric car (or a super efficient tiny hybrid I guess)

I doubt it generated a single Tesla purchase but certainly helped with leafs and other cars like that.

Like it won't even pay for half the comfort package. It might pay for a self driving pre order.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Rust Martialis posted:

It's not a tax break, it's a literal handout of cash. 40000 SEK for an electric, 20000 for a hybrid. Makes it trivially easy to buy the car, pocket the money, and then turn around and sell the car to Norway, where they had a similar incentive that also applied to used cars.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Nov 21, 2018

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Youth homelessness has doubled since 2009, for all age groups homelessness increased 33%.

https://politiken.dk/indland/art685...g-mest-i-Norden

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

SplitSoul posted:

Youth homelessness has doubled since 2009, for all age groups homelessness increased 33%.

https://politiken.dk/indland/art685...g-mest-i-Norden

So has CEO bonuses and corporate profits, I'm sure you can see that a little homelessness is a necessary price to pay for such wonders.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

https://twitter.com/JohanBahlenberg/status/1065177804239765504

:tif:

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Revelation 2-13 posted:

So has CEO bonuses and corporate profits, I'm sure you can see that a little homelessness is a necessary price to pay for such wonders.

That seems like a seriously lowballed estimate. But not to worry, the Minister of Social Affairs who unironically asked why poor people don't just save up, she's "concerned" and definitely going to act on it.

It increased by a fifth under Thorning, IIRC. They were the ones who cut billions from student allowance specifically to lower corporate taxes, that might have been a factor as well. You know, those taxes that only about a third of all businesses even pay in the first place?

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
I moved here thinking Denmark was nice, and I'm up to Danish module 4.2, I joined my housing association board, all with a goal of permanent residence in 4 years.

Right now I'm so... disillusioned... by Danish politics, that I... I don't think I could in good faith take a citizenship oath to the Danish state. I loathe the government of the day, and doubt SD would really change much. I voted left in the municipal elections, but outside a few spots in KBH and maybe Århus, they don't exist.

Danish politics seems *designed* to piss me off.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Rust Martialis posted:

I moved here thinking Denmark was nice, and I'm up to Danish module 4.2, I joined my housing association board, all with a goal of permanent residence in 4 years.

Right now I'm so... disillusioned... by Danish politics, that I... I don't think I could in good faith take a citizenship oath to the Danish state. I loathe the government of the day, and doubt SD would really change much. I voted left in the municipal elections, but outside a few spots in KBH and maybe Århus, they don't exist.

Where are you from?

I have a couple of people on my facebook feed from the US and Canada, who have expressed the view many times that Denmark must be the best of the Scandinavian countries, and the one that they should aspire to become more like.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Randarkman posted:

Where are you from?

I have a couple of people on my facebook feed from the US and Canada, who have expressed the view many times that Denmark must be the best of the Scandinavian countries, and the one that they should aspire to become more like.

The thing I think I admire most about the americans and canooks is that they have no fear of being wrong.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Hey, I'm looking at buying an EV for myself and the tax incentive is a major carrot.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Rust Martialis posted:

You could always lie in your heart, but basically you should be collecting citizenships like they're Pokémon if at all possible. Since you no longer have to denounce your old one there's zero reason not to, it will only benefit you in the long run, especially if you intend to stick around. Remember to brush up on your knowledge of European handball championships and hope against hope that they finally managed to not include a bunch of errors in their important test.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Randarkman posted:

Where are you from?

Danish politicians are really good at selling the narrative of a welfare state, even as they're actively working to dismantle it. Even the few Konservative voters I've met in Copenhagen are totally on board with welfare, integration and climate concerns, and I've never been able to figure out how they can look at the current government and retain their party loyalty.

The North Americans I've met who speak of Denmark just know of it as the place with universal healthcare, free education and a robust welfare system.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

McCloud posted:

Hey, I'm looking at buying an EV for myself and the tax incentive is a major carrot.

For sale: one EV, never charged.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Randarkman posted:

Where are you from?

Canadian, from Toronto.

I knew I was in cultural trouble the first week when I saw my IT department of 70 was 69 white guys and one Indian guy. No women. It was like leaping back decades.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Rust Martialis posted:

Canadian, from Toronto.

I knew I was in cultural trouble the first week when I saw my IT department of 70 was 69 white guys and one Indian guy. No women. It was like leaping back decades.

The gender imbalance (or rather complete absence of women) is kind of surprising for a Scandinavian country, though having never worked in IT I can't really weigh in on it. That said it should be remembered that all the Scandinavian countries are overwhelmingly white, and there aren't nearly as many immigrants/foreigners (much less non-white immigrants/foreigners) as alot of people (especially racists) perceive there to be.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

My rationalizing the skin tone issue is - in Canada, IT is pretty heavily salted with first generation immigrants, as 'knows how to configure a Cisco switch and speaks English' is pretty common in a number of Asian countries like India, Pakistan, Taiwan, and China etc etc.

When people there leave, they head to the USA, Canada, Australia and the UK, where they get points towards permanent residence and ultimately citizenship for speaking English and having job skills.

What they don't do is head to Denmark, where you have to learn Danish to get any kind of legal status, which is spoken basically nowhere else, and is also a very challenging language to master. I suppose the hostility of the Danish government to certain groups of immigrants may have percolated out by now, I mean lunch in the cafeteria at work is *frequently* big lumps of pork. I know there are some decent asian stores in like, Norrebro or something, if I want cooking ingredients.

The A-kasse thing is hitting me as a side-effect, I'm sure if they could they'd exempt me as I'm pasty white of northern Euro background and have a good job. But I rather enjoy being inconvenienced in a way; cheap solidarity I suppose.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

SplitSoul posted:

That seems like a seriously lowballed estimate. But not to worry, the Minister of Social Affairs who unironically asked why poor people don't just save up, she's "concerned" and definitely going to act on it.

It increased by a fifth under Thorning, IIRC. They were the ones who cut billions from student allowance specifically to lower corporate taxes, that might have been a factor as well. You know, those taxes that only about a third of all businesses even pay in the first place?

My conservative buddy was at first happy with Thorning's goverment as a lot of what they did was way more "borgerligt" that what V or K could've gotten away with if they were in power.
But he grew as disgusted as any of us in the end.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

I do believe your friend has a massive redwood stuck in his eye, though.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Eh, he has very little in common with Dreadjudge Pape, loving Naser and Multi Brian (his nicknames).

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
Lol Liberals

https://www.svt.se/nyheter/inrikes/bjorklund-utesluter-inte-en-m-kd-regering

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I see a lot of Denmark and Sweden talk in here, not so much Norway.

Getting my Norwegian politics from NRK and my mom seems like the worst idea.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
What's there to discuss? Strange bedfellows Krf and Frp are having some marital issues, where half of both parties hate eachother with a passion and Krf treatening a no-confidence vote against the very same government they want to form a coalition with. It's as stupid as it is hilarious and I hope all the parties involved crash and burn.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
We can only hope.

I don't see why those parties still exists, one stokes fear of the devil in people from foreign cultures and is known for being a party with child molesters in leadership and the other party is the Christianity party.

They will not be missed.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe
Both Danish and Swedish politics are especially trainwrecky at the moment, so that's bound to generate more content. Anything juicy happening in Norway?

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

the liberal government is probably going to finally become a majority government, at the cost of probably killing off the two centrist parties in the coalition

realistically venstre might bounce back in a few years, but i think the christian democrats are gone for good

of course the only reason the latter are joining the coalition seems to be because their right wing actively conspired with the conservative party to pretend that they could get somewhere in restricting abortion laws

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

so, basically, next election is going to be fun + norway is now a two-bloc system

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010

Mr. Sunshine posted:

Both Danish and Swedish politics are especially trainwrecky at the moment, so that's bound to generate more content. Anything juicy happening in Norway?

Danish politics are a trainwreck all the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Did anyone say next election?!

https://twitter.com/svtnyheter/status/1065541331194454016