Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Yes it is; Rose’s story is the story of the First Order in microcosm: they gained popular support on various ‘blue collar’ planets, accrued tons of wealth, and then started the military operations.

Like...Trump...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!
It is also interesting that the First Order, a fascist-like all human organization fond of austere aesthetics is led by a deformed alien who likes to wear a fancy golden robe.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

snoke is an alien?

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
He was a zombie?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Brother Entropy posted:

snoke is an alien?

Yes; he's 20% bigger than a normal person and has claw fingers.

Just like the baddie in Solo has a claw thumb and gets slightly redder when hes mad.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

What I've wondered since TLJ came out is why everyone's just taking Kylo's word for it
Because Rey's parents not being Skywalkers or Kenobis makes for a way bigger and better universe than everybody important being loving related to each other.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

McCloud posted:

Rian Johnson rightly told JJ to gently caress of with that poo poo, and that's why TLJ is several magnitudes better than that polished turd, unfortunately it makes several missteps itself.

The problem with telling people that their favorite movies are a waste of time is that they will agree with you and stop watching. Masterstroke.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
I think everyone would have been fine with Rey not being a skywalker and Snoke being no one if the rest of the movie wasn't poo poo.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

LividLiquid posted:

Because Rey's parents not being Skywalkers or Kenobis makes for a way bigger and better universe than everybody important being loving related to each other.

Rey grew up piloting the Millenium Falcon and has personality befriended Luke, Leia, Han Solo, Chewbacca and R2D2. She online-dated Han Solo’s son.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Brother Entropy posted:

snoke is an alien?

everyone in the film is an alien

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

mandatory lesbian posted:

you know what i meant!!! :mad:

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
FN and Hux are legitimately unrelated to anyone, but nobody cares.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Thank you. Why don’t people understand this!!

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Hux is related to his dad

JfishPirate
Jun 24, 2006
I have been grossly misinformed about witches.

Electronico6 posted:

Benicio Del Toro character was one of the few things in these Disney movies that actually felt something that George Lucas would come up with. For the better and for the worst. He's weird, baffling, but odd in a fantastical sense and immediately memorable.
Star Wars is always better when it's being weird and somewhat off. Bring back the 1950's american cafe dinners in the futuristic space city instead of another mos eisley canteen in a forest planet.

The only problem with it is the boring name, which I had to check and is "DJ". Like come on.

I completely agree. I also liked that he doesn't have any sort of convoluted backstory, has extremely obvious motivations and there's no need to ever have him again in future films. He's a pretty subversive character in a world of fan theories, spinoffs and 'canon', because his entire character is just a rogue who only cares about himself, but the fact that they cast a well known actor for the role makes him seem so much more "mysterious". He sells out the heroes, not because of some backstory outlined in a comic or some secret connection to the main characters, but because he's just a selfish dick, and that's fantastic.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I guess he died on the big ship anyway.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Probably escaped.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

JfishPirate posted:

I completely agree. I also liked that he doesn't have any sort of convoluted backstory, has extremely obvious motivations and there's no need to ever have him again in future films. He's a pretty subversive character in a world of fan theories, spinoffs and 'canon', because his entire character is just a rogue who only cares about himself, but the fact that they cast a well known actor for the role makes him seem so much more "mysterious". He sells out the heroes, not because of some backstory outlined in a comic or some secret connection to the main characters, but because he's just a selfish dick, and that's fantastic.

The weird part about him is that even though his whole betrayal and statement of beliefs is presented as wrong, we in the audience know he is right. They will never stop making these movies, so the in-universe power dynamic will never change, so one should never risk themselves over ideals because the universe is caught in some Sisyphean nightmare.

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!

Brother Entropy posted:

snoke is an alien?

I guess he could just be a really deformed human but just for the fact that he's cgi I'm pretty sure he's not supposed to be a human.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

LividLiquid posted:

By far the most interesting and I'd wager most popular character in the ST is the son of two OT characters so all this talk about creating a bigger universe by having new OG characters rings very hollow. The movies do gently caress all with characters like Fin, at least Fin being Lando's secret lovechild would be something.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Brother Entropy posted:

you know what i meant!!! :mad:

:p

JfishPirate posted:

He's han solo if solo wasn't attracted to any of the mc's

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

He's han solo if solo wasn't attracted to any of the mc's

Han Solo (at first) doesn't have any convictions to the Empire or the Rebels because he doesn't care enough to have given it any thought.
DJ doesn't have any convictions to the First Order or the Resistance because he has given it thought, and actively decided to reject them both.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I like how he really doesn't have a name in a franchise where every background puppet has a name species and history

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Grendels Dad posted:

By far the most interesting and I'd wager most popular character in the ST is the son of two OT characters so all this talk about creating a bigger universe by having new OG characters rings very hollow. The movies do gently caress all with characters like Fin, at least Fin being Lando's secret lovechild would be something.

yep i'm basically only sticking it out at this point for more kylo

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Shouldnt there be episode 9 leaks or trailers by now?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Uncle Wemus posted:

I was asking a friend this the other day. We don't even have a title yet, which seems odd.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Uncle Wemus posted:

Either December if they want to throw something out, or for sure early next year. That's when they normally drop the trailers.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

first trailer will be attached to captain marvel

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Yeah, there's several big Disney releases on the horizon (Mary Poppins, Captain Marvel, Infinity War 2). Typically big trailers come out 1-2 weeks online before they are then attached to those movies in theaters. Additionally, Celebration is in April next year. Might hit there first, coinciding with a release online, then be attached a few weeks later to Infinity War part 2.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

IX is reportedly filming into February, so I wouldn't expect much until Celebration next year. Title might drop a bit earlier than that.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

It is way too early for a trailer. But I'm surprised nothing has leaked yet. We had that "Luke's hand floating through space" leak pretty early on into TFA development.

I don't remember when they usually announce the titles, because it always seems to catch me by surprise.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I wonder if Rian's gonna brave that poo poo and head up there. Someone's gonna beat that poor man with a force fx lightsaber.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Most of the leak scene is currently focused on The Mandalorian since their shooting set is almost literally in the MSW guy's backyard.

What's known about IX right now is mainly that they've been shooting in Jordan for the past month or so. There was what seemed to be a legitimate leak on the subreddit (and it now conspicuously appears to be gone) with some second-hand details on some of the scenes they were shooting there.

This ain't the spoiler thread, so I won't get into them in detail, but it was mainly a handful of "[known character] dodging explosion/swinging a weapon" tidbits. Nothing substantial.

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Nov 21, 2018

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Force Awakens title hit in November and Last Jedi title hit in January. 9 seems to be filming later than those did, so it might still be February or March before it comes out.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There's plenty of bits and pieces leaking out about Episode IX but they're "debunked" (never by Abrams on his Twitter or by Lucasfilm or anyone else) almost immediately by someone on Screenrant or YouTube or someplace insisting upon why it's impossible.

Of course I don't expect there will be many leaks; at least, there will be leaks, but they won't get a lot of attention paid to them for various reasons, one of which being that I imagine people will be trying to second-guess everything.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Prequels get a lot of love these days but Obi's mullet is still critically underrated

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

LividLiquid posted:

I'm sorry, but it's only realistic. Like everyone important to me is related to me.

Have you asked the Story group about this? Maybe one of them is a failed clone of the other.

Grendels Dad posted:

That's more of a failing of the story telling. No one cares about Rey. (I cared before TLJ, TLJ didn't do her any favors)

Actually, I'm kind of wondering if the new Starwars movies are even popular with their target demographic. I don't hear my son about it(nor his friends), I don't see/hear the kids at school talking about it when I drop him off or pick him up. And I never see kids leaving the toystores with any Starwars toys except occasionally Lego. I do see plenty of SW action figures/Hot Wheels filling the sales bins with big discounts. (obviously all very statistically relevant)
Are only the adults invested in this?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Darth TNT posted:

Actually, I'm kind of wondering if the new Starwars movies are even popular with their target demographic. I don't hear my son about it(nor his friends), I don't see/hear the kids at school talking about it when I drop him off or pick him up. And I never see kids leaving the toystores with any Starwars toys except occasionally Lego. I do see plenty of SW action figures/Hot Wheels filling the sales bins with big discounts. (obviously all very statistically relevant)
Are only the adults invested in this?

Kids like the cartoons but not the movies.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Kids like the movies if going by my anecdotial evidence at Disney World. Which if Wheat Loaf's BS counts as fact for him, mine counts as fact for me. Therefore, ergo, visa-vi, kids like the movies and Rey. And porgs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Darth TNT posted:

That's more of a failing of the story telling. No one cares about Rey. (I cared before TLJ, TLJ didn't do her any favors)

Well, yeah. I'm saying that giving these characters relationships to the old characters would make it easier for writers to come up with stuff for them. It might be boring and makes the fictional universe feel small, but it's drat well better than the big pile of nothing these characters have right now. Kylo is literally trying to be a character from the OT and it's fun because it connects the old with the new movies and makes Kylo an interesting if somewhat pathetic character.

Nobody knows what the gently caress Poe is about.