Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

GimmickMan posted:

Came in for the funny honeypot thread, stayed for the chat of known cool and good anime Slayers. Give a Reason was a pick me up song for me over a decade ago and I'm glad to have remembered it exists.

Which is not to say Get Along isn't amazing, because it is and the intro narration of the opening is why Lina is my spirit animal. And the third opening... Exists, yes, it sure does.

Hey, I like Breeze. :( While I didn't watch the series when I was a kid, I was still enough of a weeb teenager to have a bootleg soundtrack or two from the tiny anime con in my city that had most of the OP tracks.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Wherever there are monsters, I will kill them! Wherever there is treasure, I will take it!

I tried to watch the dub, but just couldn't because the monologue from the OP has completely different music. Apparently whatever soundtrack I had was weird because the full version of the song still had Lina talking about kicking rear end and stealing gold, so without that it just sounds wrong to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I mean Breeze is still a Megumi OP so it's good by default. I would ordinarily say that it never stuck as much as the other ones but I actually woke up with Breeze in my head this morning. Serves me right.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Cappy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HySCRz6Atf4

Edit: Is Amelia the first anime boob loli?
Nice cover!

Also, please refrain from asking that question.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

GimmickMan posted:

Came in for the funny honeypot thread, stayed for the chat of known cool and good anime Slayers.

Is this to do with that "Goblin Slayer" thing? I have no idea what it is but people talk about it a lot as this thing that's really bad but still really popular - can anyone fill me in?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Wheat Loaf posted:

Is this to do with that "Goblin Slayer" thing? I have no idea what it is but people talk about it a lot as this thing that's really bad but still really popular - can anyone fill me in?

Here's everything you need to read about it https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3871215

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
^^^^ e: You can check the thread as well, which Julias just posted, to see for yourself. ^^^^

Wheat Loaf posted:

It's a light novel series that, if I don't completely misremember (since I was going to make the OP as a "Containment Thread" of sorts, so I did some reading about the overall series thanks to Wikipedia and info provided by some goons who are more familiar about the situation), it started as a number of threads in the Futaba Channel imageboards about a bunch of characters from famous works (Netero from Hunter x Hunter, a Dragon Quest priestess, Lancer from the OG Fate/Stay Night, etc) and how they would have to deal with a goblin raid. Since both the official anime simulcast and the official manga translation include a Content Warning due to the explicit nature of some episodes/chapters, you can take a guess about said contents.

When the aforementioned threads got popular enough, one of the main OP's from those threads decided to write a web novel, which just used thinly-veiled unnamed versions of the same characters. Then that got popular enough that it got made into a light novel in early 2016 and now, 3 manga adaptations, 1 light novel spin-off, and 4 drama CD's later, we have an anime. With the exact same cast as the drama CD's (all the main cast is comprised of fairly popular voice actors) and done by a fairly well-regarded studio. Oh, most characters still don't have names, just their profession/RPG job as identifier. Which in most cases makes it laughably easy to identify who were the original characters being used for the 2ch threads about it.

So when P-Mack decided to create this thread, more than a few goons expressed having fond memories of the old Slayers franchise and even got into it enough that some have decided to re-watch or re-read the series, which recently got an additional novel released.

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Nov 18, 2018

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Wark Say posted:

done by a fairly well-regarded studio.
For being well-regarded, they can't seem to do backgrounds for poo poo. Whoever is in charge of that stuff seems to not understand how perspective works at all.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Oh my god Gourry just tossing garbage on that guy's lawn and cheesing it out of there is making me lose my poo poo. "I don't got magic okay, and we're just doing petty vandalism at this point anyways."

Everyone in this show is a dick and I love every minute of it.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.
It's really good. Slayers is so god drat good.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

GimmickMan posted:

Which is not to say Get Along isn't amazing, because it is and the intro narration of the opening is why Lina is my spirit animal. And the third opening... Exists, yes, it sure does.

having the first thing that happens in the show be Lina's squeaky bratty voice talking about kicking rear end, claiming treasure, and forever knowing the taste of victory made me instantly :allears: to the show so hard, it made me sad that I never had her around to be a terrible rolemodel for me growing up

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Love Amelia's poo poo eating grin when Zelgadis' crush turns out to be a dude.

OP is very correct about the visual humor being good as hell, and I think I like it more now than if I watched it when I was younger 'cause it makes me feel all nostalgic while still being all brand new to me. While Zel is the straight man all the time, the sight gags with him are always the best (scrubbing himself in the bath with steel wool, cutting his hair with wirecutters, being used as a boat anchor, etc).

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I hope if we do a new season they keep alive the tradition of having an episode where the dudes have to crossdress.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

MonsieurChoc posted:

I hope if we do a new season they keep alive the tradition of having an episode where the dudes have to crossdress.

I just finished that episode in Next and was hoping that it's a Thing that continues to happen in all the latter seasons, so thank you for confirming that for me.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Just finished Next.

It's good.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Coxswain Balls posted:

Just finished Next.

It's good.

'tis.

Try is "anime-only" but in the first episode Lina destroys an innocent city by mistake so I think they "get it".

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

The show ignoring all consequences of Lina blowing up cities and tons of bystanders is the best. Reminds me of One Punch Man in a way.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
One Spell Woman?

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Mordaedil posted:

One Spell Woman?

That's already taken by Megumin.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Having now seen all of the movies/specials I believe chronologically the series goes:

Slayers Excellent (the first episode of the OVA details Lina and Naga's initial meeting)
Slayers The Motion Picture
Slayers Return
Slayers The Book of Spells
Slayers Great
Slayers Gorgeous
Slayers
Slayers Next
Slayers Try
Slayers Premium
Slayers Revolution
Slayers Evolution-R

Though to be honest besides Excellent you could probably watch the other movies/OVA in any order you want as there doesn't seem to be much in the way of internal continuity between them, Premium could also possibly take place after everything else as there's a line in the beginning saying it's been 5 years since the group last met (though that's probably just a fourth wall joke as Try ended in 1997 and the movie premiered in 2001).

One of the things I love about this show is (with a few exceptions) it almost never takes itself seriously, more often than not any tense moment is almost instantly deflated and turned into a joke (there's a fair number of fourth wall breaks in there as well). I also like that while they're not terrible people at heart there isn't a single member of the group that can justifiably be considered a hero (including Zell and Amelia).

It's been said before but with the recent resurgence of the novels I hope that means other Slayers media is on the way eventually as well as while some are better than others there really hasn't been an outright bad anime version yet. Though I suppose your enjoyment of some of the movies/specials kind of depends a lot on how much you can tolerate Naga. It was probably a good idea they didn't put her in the main series to be honest and instead replaced her with Amelia (who according to the original author is canonically Naga's younger sister), don't remember if Amelia ever attempts the laugh though.

Naga does sort of make an appearance in the first few episodes of Evolution-R though (or more accurately, a living suit of armor with her voice actress, personality and mannerisms shows up) but for some reason Lina never really recognizes her or comments on the familiarity of the situation. She has a cameo in the Slayers Premium movie as well.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Nov 22, 2018

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

One thing I really like is how natural the relationship between Lina and Gourry is. You're not beaten over the head about there being any kind of romance subplot involving them - they just get along really well and have fun chemistry that seems to gradually evolve as they spend more time together and they realize how important they are to each other.

Gourry being dumb as a sack of bricks also helps a lot.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I recently learned that Lina was never originally intended to be the protagonist of slayers.

The original main character was going to be Luna Inverse her older sister who is relegated to only appearing in the openings of Next and Try. (She is a badass Knight of the Dragon God that prefers to work as a waitress) When Kanzaka was fleshing out Luna's backstory for the novel, he realized he was more interested in her younger sister Lina and felt she would work better as the main character and rewrote the plot to star Lina.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Nov 22, 2018

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
What? I feel like I need to read the full story there. What made him feel Lina was more interesting?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Probably the part where she blows stuff up?

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

Mordaedil posted:

What? I feel like I need to read the full story there. What made him feel Lina was more interesting?

The gag is that Luna already hit the level cap and could effortlessly solve every problem the group ever runs into by herself. Lina is more interesting than the ultimate chosen warrior of Ceifeed because she's a greedy, angry, jealous, lazy jackass who begrudgingly does the right thing with the entirely wrong powerset.

Clarste posted:

Probably the part where she blows stuff up?

And surely a lot of this.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Does Luna have a bigger role in the novels? As I recall in the anime she's just mentioned occasionally and sometimes appears in still shots/eyecatches but that's about it.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Larryb posted:

Does Luna have a bigger role in the novels? As I recall in the anime she's just mentioned occasionally and sometimes appears in still shots/eyecatches but that's about it.
Nope! Aside from Lina being scared shitless when she's mentioned, all the tidbits previously mentioned (Luna being hilariously OP, a non-giver of fucks, prefers to wait tables) is literally all we know about her.

Lina's parents barely even get mentioned in side materials or anything, but iirc they're both alive + well and they have fairly normal jobs.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
luna could never match up to lina's all-consuming dread of her. it's for the best that she never appears.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Wark Say posted:

Nope! Aside from Lina being scared shitless when she's mentioned, all the tidbits previously mentioned (Luna being hilariously OP, a non-giver of fucks, prefers to wait tables) is literally all we know about her.

Lina's parents barely even get mentioned in side materials or anything, but iirc they're both alive + well and they have fairly normal jobs.

Ah, I knew there was some additional information regarding her in supplementary materials/interviews (which is also where most of Naga's backstory comes from) such as her being a knight of Ceifeed but I didn't know if she ever actually showed up in anything.

As for Lina, all we really know regarding her backstory is that she was born in a town called Zephilia, her dad's a former mercenary and her mom used to be a sorceress as well.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I only ever read the first three or four novels (so not even as far as they got with the translations) but I believe the series ends with Lina taking Gourry home to meet her parents, doesn't it?

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Gourry actually met Lina's father once. Which actually kickstarted his journey.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Nope. Basically nobody from Lina's family shows up proper in story (I haven't read volume 16, mind you), but here's the interesting thing: Aside from Luna's lackadaisical attitude towards her duties as rep of the local Holy God, they're all relatively down-to-earth, normal people for a family living in a high fantasy setting. Hell, Lina and Luna's dad basically gives Gourry a fatherly-pep talk that motivates him to find a purpose which is why he finds Lina in the first episode / early on the first novel.

e:f;b

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
what was previously the last book ended with lina completely worn out, physically and emotionally. she decides to take gourry to her hometown, but we never see this.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Oh Lina changed up her look for the new novel.

Gourry too

From the glimpse I can find, Zel and Amelia look more or less the same.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Who's the other (what I assume is a) girl next to Gourry in the last picture?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Oh, would you look at that! :3:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Larryb posted:

Who's the other (what I assume is a) girl next to Gourry in the last picture?

From looking it up. An Elf Mercenary named Alaina that joins up with them. Here is a better image of her.

From the translation she is someone who has a forceful personality, but is very shy about talking with strangers.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Nov 22, 2018

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Man I want to read that now... I really hope this does well. A new Slayers season would sell like hotcakes.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Mulderman posted:

Man I want to read that now... I really hope this does well. A new Slayers season would sell like hotcakes.

Yeah, hopefully we'll at least get an anime (or movie) adaption of this eventually. It sounds interesting based on a what little I've read regarding the new novel. I also hope said novel isn't just a one shot and there's more Slayers related content to come (it's apparently sold pretty well so far at least).

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Larryb posted:

Yeah, hopefully we'll at least get an anime (or movie) adaption of this eventually. It sounds interesting based on a what little I've read regarding the new novel. I also hope said novel isn't just a one shot and there's more Slayers related content to come (it's apparently sold pretty well so far at least).

It's not a one shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

It's not a one shot.

So more novels have been confirmed then? Good to hear. Like I said, hopefully this leads to another revival of the anime eventually as well.