Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

My only nitpick is where he was getting the money to do all this? In s2 they mention he was burning through it at a rapid pace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Lurdiak posted:

I'd rather an omnipotent villain than one who can very easily be stopped but the heroes keep loving up or giving them a second chance to maintain the status quo.

Either way, a villain that very blatantly can only be stopped when the writers decide it's the end of the season isn't very good. S3 Kingpin is one of the worst villains in the Marvel Netflix lineup as far as I'm concerned. He doesn't even have the good graces to have his legitimate flaws from season one.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Cythereal posted:

Either way, a villain that very blatantly can only be stopped when the writers decide it's the end of the season isn't very good. S3 Kingpin is one of the worst villains in the Marvel Netflix lineup as far as I'm concerned. He doesn't even have the good graces to have his legitimate flaws from season one.

Seriously, him bodying that fbi agent felt like an oh poo poo he's supposed to have flaws last minute rear end pull

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
How long have they known about Vanessa?

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

SardonicTyrant posted:

My only nitpick is where he was getting the money to do all this? In s2 they mention he was burning through it at a rapid pace.

After Punisher took out the top prison guy he became prison kingpin.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
Does that pay well in anything other than rear end and cigarettes?

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

brocked posted:

What else would you want 🤔

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

brocked posted:

Enough rear end and cigarettes to take over a lot of the FBI, apparently.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Remember when the Punisher met Fisk, and he was all like when you eventually get out of prison I'll be there to murder your criminal rear end? No?

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
everyone complaining about the Karen episode (besides the pacing of it which sucked) should play the Bea path in Night in the Woods because it is a great example of how soul-crushing life in a dying town is

although everyone should play Night in the Woods because it rulz ok

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Enough rear end and cigarettes to take over a lot of the FBI, apparently.

Also to fund your girlfriend's life overseas while you're simultaneously laundering enough money to purchase a swanky NYC hotel

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Lurdiak posted:

I'd rather an omnipotent villain than one who can very easily be stopped but the heroes keep loving up or giving them a second chance to maintain the status quo.

why on earth would these be our only choices, my god

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

HIJK posted:

why on earth would these be our only choices, my god

I was alluding to other superhero shows.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Calaveron posted:

Seriously, him bodying that fbi agent felt like an oh poo poo he's supposed to have flaws last minute rear end pull

This. Kingpin in S1 was interesting because he was a deeply flawed and complicated man. He's dangerously intelligent, almost superhumanly strong, and very intensely driven... but he's also miserably insecure, has a hair-trigger temper that frequently works against him, and his insecurity leads to an extremely sensitive and fragile sense of pride.

There's a reason Fisk ends S1 alone, having lost all of his former partners and allies along the way - and Fisk was responsible to a greater or lesser degree for every single one. He personally killed the Russian and the accountant, his lack of control drove away Gao, he wittingly or otherwise engineered Nobu's death at Matt's hands, and the explosive situation caused by Fisk's own actions forced Vanessa to flee.

I don't know who this JUST AS PLANNED bozo in S3 is, but he's not the Kingpin from S1.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I really don't get the "just as planned" read. He doesn't ever actually have a plan. He just threatens you and if you dont play ball he kills someone you care about, every single time. rewatch the drat show, he never ONCE goes "A ha, just as I thought!", the only example of that is Ray's boss explaining why his sister's healthcare got cut. Everything else is just responding to any threat to his power with another threat, or a SWAT team.

The complaint of him being too powerful still holds, but he's not a mastermind, he's just a thug with an incredibly underdeveloped dog (the british fixer//cleaner guy exists basically to solve all of Fisks problems without actually having to contribute anything of value to the plot) who solves every problem identically.

Also, I thought the whole point of S3 was to show that the Kingpin is trying to grow up and not just be a big violent baby anymore so he can be the King Vanessa deserves, but its this new sense of accountability to her that undoes him. The only way to hurt Fisk is to take away what HE cares about, and the only people he cared about are her and Wesley.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

How do you get the idea that S3 Fisk isn't flawed. Every single scene he has with Vanessa he turns into a complete awkward teenager.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Bust Rodd posted:

Also, I thought the whole point of S3 was to show that the Kingpin is trying to grow up and not just be a big violent baby anymore so he can be the King Vanessa deserves, but its this new sense of accountability to her that undoes him. The only way to hurt Fisk is to take away what HE cares about, and the only people he cared about are her and Wesley.
Ironically, him trying to involve Vanessa also ends up being his direct undoing, because it's her insistence on killing agent Nadeem that allows Nadeem to make the "Dying Declaration" that brings Fisk down. If Fisk had followed Felix Manning's suggestion to ruin Nadeems credibility his testimony would have been neither credible nor admissible. The public would have seen him as just another dude trying to frame Fisk.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Cythereal posted:

I don't know who this JUST AS PLANNED bozo in S3 is, but he's not the Kingpin from S1.

He hadn't quite become "The Kingpin" in S1. It was more like "Kingpin Begins". His fulfillment of the mantle was exemplified by donning the white suit. I loved this season and, yeah, some of Fisk's clairvoyance strained credibility at times but I took it as him learning from his mistakes, biding his time and planning behind the scenes in jail for 2 years, and the domino effect of corralling so many cops and agents. The more people he turns and corrupts, the more he CAN corrupt and control. Plus, he has so much inside information now which no one else has that he can exploit.

D'Onofrio is just so damned good I was just thankful to have him on screen so much this season. The lack of ninjas and Black Sky bullshit was addition by subtraction. I would have liked a Punisher role somewhere to build off the events of S2 but that's something they can do if they move forward.

Speaking of that, what would be the best way to continue? Ideas?

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

Moon Knight accidentally kills Matt and Karen and one of his personalities falls in love with one of Typhoid Mary's personalities. The Daughters of the Dragon (who are also a couple now) discover that Foggy is in a coma and has become Sleepwalker. Luke Cage and Jessica Jones get back together, Danny Rand returns to KunLun but his consciousness has been downloaded into a souped up iPod that Luke Cage carries around. Mid season it's revealed that Moon Knight is actually Hal Meachum who was transformed by an ancient artifact on his way home from KunLun. The new Iron Fist appears at the end of the season, his name is Fat Cobra and his best friend's name is Shang Chi.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

brocked posted:

Moon Knight accidentally kills Matt and Karen and one of his personalities falls in love with one of Typhoid Mary's personalities. The Daughters of the Dragon (who are also a couple now) discover that Foggy is in a coma and has become Sleepwalker. Luke Cage and Jessica Jones get back together, Danny Rand returns to KunLun but his consciousness has been downloaded into a souped up iPod that Luke Cage carries around. Mid season it's revealed that Moon Knight is actually Hal Meachum who was transformed by an ancient artifact on his way home from KunLun. The new Iron Fist appears at the end of the season, his name is Fat Cobra and his best friend's name is Shang Chi.

Holy poo poo, are you the real Scott Buck?

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
I’d be down with Chang Chi showing up and never getting hit once and showing these fools how to do it right.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:
I wish Daredevil could recapture what was interesting about Season 1, which made viewers think about the dynamics of gentrification and exploitative capitalists tearing apart communities of people.

Season 3 ditched the ninjas but still retained an extreme comicbookiness about it, which made the entire affair less interesting.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

LinYutang posted:

I wish Daredevil could recapture what was interesting about Season 1, which made viewers think about the dynamics of gentrification and exploitative capitalists tearing apart communities of people.

Season 3 ditched the ninjas but still retained an extreme comicbookiness about it, which made the entire affair less interesting.

There was a hint of it towards the beginning, where everyone's calling out the FBI for giving Fisk a free penthouse suite. Fisk isn't really a white collar criminal in the traditional sense, but it still kinda fits with the metaphor. But as the season goes on everyone kinda forgets it as Fisk turns into a super criminal mastermind.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
I liked DDS3 a lot! It helps that D’Onofrio is straw-into-gold actor that can take the cheesiest material and make it compelling. I also dug their take on Bullseye (ridiculous final scene excluded). The throwing power will never not be cool and cinematic. Karen was probably used better here than any other season she’s been in as well, and they worked in twists on the Born Again stuff in surprising ways.

I was getting pretty tired of these shows this year but this was a nice return to form.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Omnomnomnivore posted:

I liked DDS3 a lot! It helps that D’Onofrio is straw-into-gold actor that can take the cheesiest material and make it compelling.

i don't know, have you seen Jurassic World?

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!

BiggerBoat posted:

i don't know, have you seen Jurassic World?

If he was the main character it might have been better!

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

All I know is, I'm sad that I'll never get to see Tom Holland web D'Onofrio's feet to the floor in a restaurant and roast him for being fat.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

All I know is, I'm sad that I'll never get to see Tom Holland web D'Onofrio's feet to the floor in a restaurant and roast him for being fat.

I want to believe we'll get a Holland/D'Onofrio movie.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
It was funny how Season 1 can be boiled down to "The police are irredeemably evil and corrupt, only the Feds can be trusted." and Season 3 can be boiled down to "The Feds are irredeemably evil and corrupt, only the police can be trusted." While I thought the season was good, I do have to second the complaints on how people were just lining up to sell out to Fisk. Dex made sense because he's insane and Fisk seduced rather than bribed/threatened him. But it strained credibility at how people would go against their own immediate self-interest so easily.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I got the impression that Fisk landed people by making it their best interest to go along with him. The show went to some length to demonstrate how he went after families to break prospective "employees."

This was a fun season! I don't really get the Karen or Foggy complainers, but that extended Karen flashback was a huge shift in pace and tone that I had a lot of trouble staying interested in.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Fisk could easily be defeated by just not having vulnerable friends, family or loved ones of any kind.

Or just being willing to sacrifice them so it's kinda wild that he was able to succeed for so long.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

any complaint I had about season 3 pales in comparison to my complaints about Frank Miller ninja bullshit

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Season 1: The indelible corruption of the NYPD and ills of gentrification in a corrupt kleptocracy

Season 2: my girlfriend is the Jesus of Zombie Ninjas. Also the Punisher is here.

Season 3: A plaintive look at the value of guilt & shame when confronting your pathos and finding yourself wanting.

One of these things is not like the other.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Bust Rodd posted:

Season 1: The indelible corruption of the NYPD and ills of gentrification in a corrupt kleptocracy

Season 2: my girlfriend is the Jesus of Zombie Ninjas. Also the Punisher is here.

Season 3: A plaintive look at the value of guilt & shame when confronting your pathos and finding yourself wanting.

One of these things is not like the other.

If it weren't for the ninjas, Season 2 would have been good: When confronting broken and corrupt institutions and simply beating people up doesn't get the job done, what lengths are permissible or desirable to achieve good ends?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The only thing I find profoundly disappointing about Daredevil outside of the obvious season 2 woes is the lack of courtroom drama. I had the same problem with Jessica Jones. Courtroom drama but with a superhero and private investigator drama but with superpowers are awesome premises that are getting wasted by getting lost in the superhero part.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

LividLiquid posted:

The only thing I find profoundly disappointing about Daredevil outside of the obvious season 2 woes is the lack of courtroom drama. I had the same problem with Jessica Jones. Courtroom drama but with a superhero and private investigator drama but with superpowers are awesome premises that are getting wasted by getting lost in the superhero part.

I hated JJ2 and her being an actual PI would have made it pretty good. The only good things about JJ1 were David Tenet and the little bit of actual PI related things the show had.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Jessica Jones is completely coasting on David Tennant as Kilgrave and ritters great attitude she brings to the character. Other than that it’s trash

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I just wanted hard-drinkin, former superhero Veronica Mars.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

We’re not getting anything after the next season of J.J.

https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1068320618557272064?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Edmund Lava posted:

We’re not getting anything after the next season of J.J.

https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1068320618557272064?s=20

and Punisher S2, which has also wrapped filming

anyway, we can always cross our fingers for a revival on Disney+ or more likely Hulu, though I don't think that's a foregone conclusion like some fans do