Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Milo and POTUS posted:

Old gyro loving owned.

I'm honestly more upset about the Gyrocoper's STATS getting nerfed to become the Flying Machine than I am about the model/name change.

Gyrocopers were goddamn strong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

Massing 1-food flying machines is hilarious, though.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

BiggestOrangeTree posted:

The model changes were bad too. The glaive thrower too. What were they thinking?

They were thinking they didn't want to deal with a lawsuit from Games Workshop. Pretty much all of the ROC to TFT changes were because the units in question resembled specific Warhammer Fantasy models.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

BlazetheInferno posted:

I'm honestly more upset about the Gyrocoper's STATS getting nerfed to become the Flying Machine than I am about the model/name change.

Gyrocopers were goddamn strong.

One of my earliest accounts was Dwarf from above and I'd mass them with bombs. Especially fun at stratholme. God I loved early wc3.

The Cockler
Mar 31, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Quantumfate posted:

I was just trying to figure out that game as well. It wasn't kings and knights, but was more RPG themed. There were different regions of the maps, some of which were clearly for building bases. Would that I knew it.

sols open rpg

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

Kith posted:

They were thinking they didn't want to deal with a lawsuit from Games Workshop. Pretty much all of the ROC to TFT changes were because the units in question resembled specific Warhammer Fantasy models.

Do they really own the rights to catapults and ballistae? That's wild. For what it's worth a quick GIS is not bringing up any that look like the ones in Warcraft 3.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
It may have also been to give Blizzard better copyright protection because the names Catapults/Ballista/Wyvern are generic while the new names are more specific to Warcraft. Gyrocopter and Steam Tank seem less likely for that reason but who knows.

Gruntapult was/is my favourite strategy to crush Elves with so Catapults for life yo

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!
Games Workshop is pretty eager to sue anything that bears a resemblance. They've gone so far and destroyed their own fantasy setting and phased out their old more generic names for poo poo so that they can come up with ridiculous but more easily copyrighted nonsense like "Steamhead Duragon" or whatever instead of "Dwarf". Warcraft has frequently adopted some of their ideas and made them their own, but some of the old references are still in their games even.
As far as I recall, the Alliance Gryphon Rider in Warcraft III even makes a direct reference to Warhammer.

GW used to be involved in a lot of lawsuits, some of which they've famously lost, some of which they've won, so it's really not surprising that Blizzard wanted to be save rather than sorry and just changed a couple names.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Which is very funny because the same thing happened between Valve and Blizzard with Dota, to the point where they changed Skeleton King to Wraith King because of Diablo's Leoric. There's also Windrunner -> Windranger, Necrolyte -> Necrophos, etc.

Zwiebel posted:

Games Workshop is pretty eager to sue anything that bears a resemblance. They've gone so far and destroyed their own fantasy setting and phased out their old more generic names for poo poo so that they can come up with ridiculous but more easily copyrighted nonsense like "Steamhead Duragon" or whatever instead of "Dwarf". Warcraft has frequently adopted some of their ideas and made them their own, but some of the old references are still in their games even.
As far as I recall, the Alliance Gryphon Rider in Warcraft III even makes a direct reference to Warhammer.

GW used to be involved in a lot of lawsuits, some of which they've famously lost, some of which they've won, so it's really not surprising that Blizzard wanted to be save rather than sorry and just changed a couple names.

GW even tried to sue a book author for using the term "space marine". Granted, the administration changed since then and I don't know if they are as lawsuit-happy but man, what a shitshow. The changes they made to the Warhammer Fantasy race names in the transition to Age of Sigmar are REALLY dumb. Just a few examples:

Dwarf -> Duardin
Elf -> Aelf
Orc -> Orruk
Ogre -> Ogor
Lizardmen -> Seraphon
Troll -> Trogoth

The most ironic part is that they had an evil dark elf king, titled The Witch King in-universe, who was called Malekith. Who in turn got renamed to avoid Marvel's attention :v:

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

Blood Mage Is Back Baby

also, blizz-hosted custom games. nice

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Zwiebel posted:

That particular line actually got dummied out at some point. He just skips right past it when you're clicking through his annoyed quotes.

The line is question is "This warhammer cost 40k, hehehe!"

Chopstix
Nov 20, 2002

We got a discord server or something in the rare chance I could play with some goons? Just reinstalled.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Azran posted:

Which is very funny because the same thing happened between Valve and Blizzard with Dota, to the point where they changed Skeleton King to Wraith King because of Diablo's Leoric. There's also Windrunner -> Windranger, Necrolyte -> Necrophos, etc.

GW even tried to sue a book author for using the term "space marine". Granted, the administration changed since then and I don't know if they are as lawsuit-happy but man, what a shitshow. The changes they made to the Warhammer Fantasy race names in the transition to Age of Sigmar are REALLY dumb. Just a few examples:

Dwarf -> Duardin
Elf -> Aelf
Orc -> Orruk
Ogre -> Ogor
Lizardmen -> Seraphon
Troll -> Trogoth

The most ironic part is that they had an evil dark elf king, titled The Witch King in-universe, who was called Malekith. Who in turn got renamed to avoid Marvel's attention :v:

They even had perfectly good names, like Dawi for Dwarf and Asur for (High) Elf. Ælf is a The Simpsons tier name change.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Also they just had to throw in Totally Not Space Marines.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

uniball posted:

Blood Mage Is Back Baby

also, blizz-hosted custom games. nice

Hell yes. I used to love going Blood Mage foots->fast knights in HU v NE. I always played random, so they seldom saw it coming.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

AKM Style (Solo BM, Militia Creep, turtle + tech while skipping barracks) was always the best way to play anyway

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I could never get the hang of that. There was another guy on the wc3 forums who was inspired by AKM to come up with crazy BM strats and super-fast knights was one of them. I stole the strat from him.

Another one was using BM to clear trees behind the enemy town and then building cannon towers there, using the goblin zepplin to spot and travel. again, a specific HU v NE strat.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

boviscopophobic posted:

Massing 1-food flying machines is hilarious, though.

Makes me miss the days when Hurricane Isles was in 4v4 rotation. It was one of the few island maps that saw ladder play and was a huge mass air shitfest every time :D

Muscular Typist
Oct 11, 2004

General Battuta posted:

You're the captain! Ahoy! Ahoy! I would love to.

Your sound card works perfectly.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I use to listen to the Warcraft 2 sound track on my CD player because I was a huge nerd. The secret track was dope as hell though

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2zOx0nhFDo

When does Grubby kill the ogre at his north 10:30 green camp? He uses skele stick at 3:29 but I never saw him camera over that camp.

L. Ron Mexico
May 14, 2005

Milo and POTUS posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2zOx0nhFDo

When does Grubby kill the ogre at his north 10:30 green camp? He uses skele stick at 3:29 but I never saw him camera over that camp.

he never did. orc stole it while he was running around the map + cancelling shop

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Hahaha oh my god I watched it like 5 times and couldn't figure out what the hell happened

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

Milo and POTUS posted:

Hahaha oh my god I watched it like 5 times and couldn't figure out what the hell happened

Low level item-holding creeps generally have short lives when there's a BM on the field. You can see red is about to snipe his own ogre at 3:40 ;)

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Yeah it just slipped my mind. I had an open on TR where I was very aggressive with that strat and often stole the ogre items from theirs first thing as well.

Chopstix
Nov 20, 2002

Surprising fact about AKM; very not Korean

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Chopstix posted:

Hahaha I literally found this out watching a stream of his the other day.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Chopstix posted:

Yeah honestly I was the biggest fan back in the day at bloodmage.com and I can't watch him stream. The text personality was so amazing

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

WHY DO YOU CHIT

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
I installed this after at least a decade of not playing and lost to the computer. Game is good.

Chopstix
Nov 20, 2002

Yeah his texts were hilarious. Also when he plays now he goes mana drain first, and the. Goes banish, not getting flamestrike till much later, I think thats’s new

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

So I tried to hop onto Bnet for the first time in years and definitely the first time on this machine. It makes me download it and restart. All's well at this point. Then it has like some updater that pops up and takes about an hour. Fine. Has options for repair and launch. Finish that and start the game from the updater and cannot play it in widescreen. Two huge black lines about 2-2.5 inches on the sides. Friend didn't make it to Bnet so I closed the game. On a whim, tried to start it from start menu, see if the black bars issue would resolve itself and got a system error, stating that "The code execution cannot proceed because mss32.dll was not found. Reinstalling the program may fix this problem." I don't even think I have the cd key any more lmao

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Chopstix posted:

Yeah his texts were hilarious. Also when he plays now he goes mana drain first, and the. Goes banish, not getting flamestrike till much later, I think thats’s new

That's a matchup specific thing, good against Undead and good against Orc Wyvern and Hippo strats because that strike don't hit air.

I personally can never resist the temptation of speed creeping to level 3, buying an invis potion as soon as its available, and then one-striking all 5 acolytes and teleport staffing out.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

See also Pally harassing UD

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Purely out of curiosity, why did Frozen Throne revamp magic damage and add so many anti-caster units? Were casters making GBS threads all over the RoC meta? I love reading about metagames so the more detail the better.

Mata
Dec 23, 2003

General Battuta posted:

Purely out of curiosity, why did Frozen Throne revamp magic damage and add so many anti-caster units? Were casters making GBS threads all over the RoC meta? I love reading about metagames so the more detail the better.

Yes, casters did piercing damage and they hadn't introduced the "unarmored" type so toward the end of RoC there wasn't really any reason to build non-caster units, I remember mass priest/sorc and shaman/wd being the meta, both of those comps having pretty insane healing and damage, with ud going mass necro/banshee (where the entire matchup hinged around who could buy up the "wand of negations" from goblin shops). I don't remember exactly what NE did but I guess bears and birds.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Huh, that's crazy. You'd think a bunch of basic grunts/footmen would just overwhelm them, even if the casters had ranged piercing attacks, but I guess their spells were just that good? Or was piercing damage just universally good in RoC?

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

I can't speak to specifics on damage TYPES, but another couple of big things RoC casters had over TFT casters was (a) higher baseline damage and (b) they got increased attack damage from their upgrade techs. Both of those got altered/removed, respectively. For instance, I believe shaman went from something like 16-19ish damage (with full upgrades) to 8-9 flat (no improvement researchable) in the transition.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Basically once you unlocked them, ranged units were obsoleted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
The thing to keep in mind, in RoC, casters' DAMAGE was upgraded when you upgraded them as well, so not only are they doing piercing damage, they're doing better piercing damage the more you upgrade them.

Combine that with massed Shamans spamming bloodlust, and you've got a pretty drat potent army of ranged attackers on your hands, together with whatever murderhappy hero you've chosen to slaughter your opponent with.