Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Who was it who said that when the in-game economy was enabled the bugs would be so utterly game-breaking they would beggar belief? Oh, me, it was me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

MedicineHut posted:

Thanks for the effort friend. But I have absolutely zero idea what that meant. All I eed to know is if this is something someone can realistically give shitizens poo poo about or not. Asking for a friend.

An EC2 instance is a computer that you connect to. Normally you don’t connect directly to an instance, but use an ELB or ALB to balance load across multiple EC2 instances. It appears that they’re sharding the game universe in such a way that you connect to a representation of the universe. It’s not generally the way you use EC2, or how you shard a game universe.

One of the reasons that this is bad is you cannot predict the ip space supplied, you don’t know the shared residency of the hardware you’re ‘renting’ for the lifetime of the instance, and they’re probably pushing everything through the west coast at the moment. Amazon’s availability zones are a bit of a nightmare to navigate, mainly because there’s no real concept of a GeoIp or GSLB up front, so mainly people pick a point and roll with it.

Latency is really going to be the issue here. To use a car analogy, they’re trying to build a sporty roadster from tractor parts. When you request a movie from netflix, for example, it starts a number of instances and performance tests them all, then dumps a bunch of the ones that are not performant. It’s one reason why dedicated hosts are normally the way to do things; this is not dedicated hosts, but more of a ‘fabric’ of cross-communicating instances, which means network latency; not the speed of light, but the speed of network switching.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Sarsapariller posted:

Who was it who said that when the in-game economy was enabled the bugs would be so utterly game-breaking they would beggar belief? Oh, me, it was me.

Link tweet/blog or get out

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

fatal oopsie-daisy posted:

This is kind of a sad story

I'm not really a SC-hater at all, I just think it looks incredibly buggy and the plans they made for it are way too big for their ability and they got way ahead of themselves on story instead of focusing on the core game.

I have a real life good friend who is bought into the SC narrative and is one of those people who thinks it's amazing and will be amazing. He says in our facebook group chats how great the game is, how it's amazing and beautiful and stuff like that. Luckily he's just super pro-SC and not anti-goon or someone constantly defending it on reddit. One of our other friends plays with him sometimes and I just kind of go "cool" from the sidelines.

He posts photos of the landscapes on the planets daily.

My plan is basically to just let SC turn into the dead quasi-vaporware that we all know it will be and let the hype run its course. He's a really good friend and a great guy but I feel like he's been sucked in a little too deep. Does anyone have friends like this?

Star Citizen is a game where you buy ships, take pictures of ships, and post your pictures in as many places as possible. It sounds like your friend is extremely good at Star Citizen. There's nothing wrong with that as long as he's not actively participating in the scam by hyping non-existent features, a more advanced form of the same game. Money, in the end, is just a tool to get what you want out of life, and what some people want out of life is a digital dollhouse with spaceships in it. I kind of tweaked Beer for saying that about PC case mods earlier but it's true. Some people collect plastic miniature war figurines, some people spend hundreds-to-thousands on digital spaceships that barely exist even as art assets in a game with no mechanics.

So I don't think you should be sad for a Citizen- just be glad he's got some dumb thing to be invested in and happy about. If you have any anger, save it for the company that sold him the dream in the first place, without ever intending to deliver on it. This applies to pretty much any friend who's "Too deep" into a stupid thing, unless it has actively started eating their savings and life.

As to your question, no. I left the SC-playing group I was a part of and haven't kept in touch but I'm sure they've found some other hole to dump their money into by now. I'm probably the deepest person still "In" on these forums, outside of like Alex D Large, and it's mostly as a form of anthropology these days.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

ewe2 posted:

Cargo-cult Theory of Star Citizen

Disclaimer: I am not a sociologist/anthropologist. I am an autodidact with a bad case of effortpost. I welcome any empirical evidence to disprove the foregoing, which is mostly theoretical.

The sociology/anthropology of the SC cult is many-layered. I wondered if there was any connection to cargo cults, and I think there is one. But first a good definition: a Quora question led to what I find is a much better definition than the Wikipedia/popular conception of cargo cults. Indeed, there's a quest for a new term since "cargo cult" is really about how we explain away colonising other cultures. Rather than fall into a similar trap about the SC backers, let's use a compact version of the real definition as a comparison: ritualistic behaviour in search of a better relationship with a disruptive force upon one's culture. It's a bit broad, and a number of applications quite aside from gaming will occur to one, but let's apply it in the time-honoured anthropological manner "gather data, but don't touch the poop". Avoid imposing value-judgements and assemble evidence.

What is the gaming culture and how does SC disrupt it?

SC backers appear to believe in a number of things about games and gaming culture that predispose them to cult-like behaviour around The Game. SC is a solution to the problems they believe plague gaming. So from their perspective:

* gaming is tired and repetitive.
* gaming is corrupted by the undue influence of publishers and media.
* gaming is also corrupted by haters and other forms of social justice warriors.
* gaming does not value community contributions and by extension its consumers.
* gaming is secretive about its production and hides its failures.
* from the previous points, it follows that the gaming business will not make The Games they want.

For these gamers, SC is a disruptive force to this culture, and to their own experience of gaming. They believe:

* The Game is directly funded by gamers.
* It is The Game they want.
* It is completely open development and always has been and always will be.
* It values their contributions with special extras.
* It does new things that other games will not do because they are inferior.
* ipso facto it will transform the nature of gaming.
* Implicitly 'might is right' vs 'social justice' underlies the true hierarchy of gamers.
* SC is a community as well as a game.
* More money spent equals higher social status and worthiness.

I would argue there is substantial empirical evidence for these, many of these points have been made explicitly by SC gamers on reddit and elsewhere.

What do SC backers do in relation to The Game?

* They defend The Game at every opportunity no matter how obscure the attention.
* They buy anything related to it with a price tag.
* They fetishize related objects and create their own objects for the purpose of ritual.
* They make up a lot of weird poo poo about it and suggest their creations to the developers.
* They acclaim Chris, Sandi or anyone else who promotes The Game as heroes.
* They make up a lot of weird poo poo about their heroes.
* They discuss The Game daily, obsessively.

Ok, that will do for a start, but again there is easily enough empirical evidence to back those assertions, just look at the threads in this subforum for that.

What do SC backers say about their cult?

This is where we begin to make observations based on the evidence, seeking to link them in a theoretical unity.

* They implicitly accept a hierarchy based on level of backing The Game and/or in-depth knowledge about it. This is an attitude of servility and respect. One only has to be seen to disagree with this hierarchy to be viewed with suspicion. Hence, those who wish to critically discuss The Game must preface their discussion with evidence that they accept the hierarchy. The hierarchy is implicit in social organisation based around The Game, including guilds, groups, streaming channels, forums, and particularly the Evocati.

* We see these assumptions repeatedly in their proselyting of The Game, particularly in the negative when they attack perceived enemies of their hierarchy, be it goons, haters, Derek Smart, or media enemy of the month.

* The disruptive use of crowdsourcing The Game leads them to believe they aren't merely consumers, but partners in The Games production and eventual retail. It is practically a truism for anyone to say that SC is a unique test of the crowdsourcing model. SC backers make repeated assertions about the different nature of The Game and the power of its community. Detractors will say they're a cult in an attempt to divide them and SC backers must be vigilant against this.

* SC backers believe they are creating a new kind of gaming community that will be free of corruption from SJW's griefers, goons etc. because The Game will prevent such corruption. Detractors say scary things and this calls for new alterations to The Game.

* Necessarily the creators of The Game are completely trustworthy, hard-working, imaginative, generous, and methodical. Detractors say horrible things about them and need to be arrested for many reasons.

* SC backers believe that if they keep believing and sending money, The Game will be good and everything surrounding The Game will be justified and by extension they too will be justified and acquire elevated social status when The Game is released. Detractors play this down because they are secretly jealous and fear The Game will be popular when released.

* The game will be released when it's ready and any perceived problems are minor, insubstantial. Detractors say it will never be released and has big problems because they are in league with publishers and bad websites or are controlled by Derek Smart and Goons.

* Detractors manufacture lies and distortions and are simultaneously stupid and extremely-well connected and powerful. This is because they too recognise the power and distinctiveness of The Game and must fight against it.

* Inventing lore, gameplay elements, artwork and game mechanics is the backers way of contributing to The Game, participating in its community, demonstrating their hierarchical value, and are a source of comfort and ritual while awaiting The Great Day of Release. Detractors simply do not understand this because they prefer to wreck things.

Conclusion:

Star Citizen is a cult-like hierarchical disruption to a status quo; for its backers it is a disruption of that status quo which frees them from its precepts and allows them to create a new hierarchy based upon themselves. "I reject your reality and substitute my own!"

Well that's my theory so far. Feel free to poke holes etc. :v:

edit: taxxe from the Tortie Cat thread:

:five: :science: :honked:

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Hey remember the F8 Lightning, the big super final ultimate military machine that would definitely never be sold to backers, and this was used as an excuse to justify selling a whole bunch of other super ultimate military stuff to backers?

https://old.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/9zebn4/anvil_f8_lighting_hanger_bob_reporting/?st=josq4ep8&sh=e69cc733

lol

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Baxta posted:

I have a friend whos in for a couple hundred. He plays whenever theres a new release and tells me whats good and whats poo poo. We both agree the ships are pretty though then we stop talking about SC because who cares.

I know someone in for a grand. My last interaction was asking about the lawsuit, but i wasn’t to worry because Ortwin was an entertainment lawyer.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Incredibly cool how CIG is making interns push patches on Thanksgiving lmfao

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

God drat that post is just 100% spot on

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I like how 8ace talked about the car dealership a couple years ago. They finally made it. :toot:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

holy gently caress, if you don't own a ship where you can get up and walk around, QT is so loving boring.

I mean I'm sure it is if you do own a ship where you can get up and walk around, but I don't have one of those

Koil
Jun 24, 2005

two weeks
$208,001,001

*cries in roberts*

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Beet Wagon posted:

Incredibly cool how CIG is making interns push patches on Thanksgiving lmfao

Are the patches coming from the US sweatshops or from the UK/DE sweatshops?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

AlbieQuirky posted:

Are the patches coming from the US sweatshops or from the UK/DE sweatshops?

the guys who deploy them are in austin iirc

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I had to step back for a minute to really appreciate how bad "Post moved to CONCERN" is.

To wit, "It looks like this past contains concerns. Gagged." For providing concerns. Literally /r/the_donald levels of thought policing.

Holy poo poo, how are there literally any followers whatsoever

BluesShaman
Apr 25, 2016

She wore Blue Velvet.

Another Darkfriend repents and walks in the Light.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

$206,942,069

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

Potato Salad posted:

I had to step back for a minute to really appreciate how bad "Post moved to CONCERN" is.

To wit, "It looks like this past contains concerns. Gagged." For providing concerns. Literally /r/the_donald levels of thought policing.

Holy poo poo, how are there literally any followers whatsoever

if you notice, a lol of the biggest star citizen posters are also deep into the don posting lifestyle as well

and like the_don, most of the posters are bots or paid shills interacting with each other. like the way I see it, there is maybe 20% real people on both forums talking to robots and advertising accounts.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Heading out for the annual thanksgiving pilgrimage to various family domiciles, one last screenshot to hype up the soon to be opened ship dealership before I go:

The very, very, definitely, absolutely not-gonna-be-sold to players F7A military variant: available in your hangar today!

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sarsapariller posted:

Already deleted

As a long time backer and supporter of Star Citizen, I have some criticis- EXTREMELY MOVED TO CONCERN

But i spent $5000 dollars on ships!!!!!

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Morphix posted:

if you notice, a lol of the biggest star citizen posters are also deep into the don posting lifestyle as well

and like the_don, most of the posters are bots or paid shills interacting with each other. like the way I see it, there is maybe 20% real people on both forums talking to robots and advertising accounts.

I just spent about 30 minutes, if not more, writing up an effort post to the effect of "you're more right than you know" but I've done so before in d&d on my research with a media and crisis informatics center before, so meh.

On topic: star citizen is bad

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Okay that thread is amazing

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
The most advanced games company on the planet.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Hav posted:

An EC2 instance is a computer that you connect to. Normally you don’t connect directly to an instance, but use an ELB or ALB to balance load across multiple EC2 instances. It appears that they’re sharding the game universe in such a way that you connect to a representation of the universe. It’s not generally the way you use EC2, or how you shard a game universe.

One of the reasons that this is bad is you cannot predict the ip space supplied, you don’t know the shared residency of the hardware you’re ‘renting’ for the lifetime of the instance, and they’re probably pushing everything through the west coast at the moment. Amazon’s availability zones are a bit of a nightmare to navigate, mainly because there’s no real concept of a GeoIp or GSLB up front, so mainly people pick a point and roll with it.

Latency is really going to be the issue here. To use a car analogy, they’re trying to build a sporty roadster from tractor parts. When you request a movie from netflix, for example, it starts a number of instances and performance tests them all, then dumps a bunch of the ones that are not performant. It’s one reason why dedicated hosts are normally the way to do things; this is not dedicated hosts, but more of a ‘fabric’ of cross-communicating instances, which means network latency; not the speed of light, but the speed of network switching.

Thanks for effortpost.

BluesShaman
Apr 25, 2016

She wore Blue Velvet.
I just bought:

Morrowind
Crypt of the NecroDancer
Bulletstorm
Divinity: OS
XCOM
Alien: Isolation
Getting Over It with Bennett Foddy
SteamWorld Heist
and... HuniePop

all for less than 70 US dollars!

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Sarsapariller posted:

More adventure images:

Star Citizen NPC's do not know how doors work. They start to bunch up and clip each other, coincidentally making it really hard to reach the open door button:

I think this is really one of the most advanced developments CIG has made. No matter how many times I see it, I still laugh at the plastic bag helmet.

That Snickers Guy
Oct 29, 2018

Psst, hey kid.
Wanna buy some Star Wars Spoilers?

Have a Snickers you act like a DIVA when you're hungry.

I paid 5 buxx for this so I might as well make the most of it right?

How about a joke?

How do you milk a whale?
You release a new jpeg.

Here have a cat.
/\_/\
( 0.0 )
> ^ <

orcane posted:

The most advanced games company on the planet.

As it's the SC subreddit...I cannot tell if that guy is utterly mong'd or if he is trolling

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

I got
sunless skies (meh?) I think this will get better but I'll probably going to cheat myself some money for a functional cargo hold.
Mass effect 2 (ohh gently caress do i need to find an FOV mod and why the hell did they gently caress up movement, no crouch, and cover system is poo poo)
Arcanum (I hope the fan patch works better on steam versions (by that I mean it works))
Dreamfall the Longest Journey (refunded after seeing the rubber ducky puzzle) (I mean drat the blade runner must have been amazing by adventure game standards because how the hell is that considered good)
I'll probably watch a video LP the longest journey

Someone asked earlier CoC 2018 = the new call of cthulhu game. I feel the best purchasable experience for lovecraft themed RPGs is to find a prostitute of some kind that is also an experienced game master and just pay for game sessions instead of sex. I should probably empty quote the agent for this but I am lazy.

Also in funding campaign legends:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihALjBo-PTg

quote:

Cleveland Blakemore, the developer of “Grimoire : Heralds of the Winged Exemplar” Recently got word of a very old Reddit post on the SidAlpha Subreddit. That Reddit post made some statements and claims that the developer took exception to claiming personal defamation and slander. When he as met with resistance he resorted to making legal threats, threatening to sue Reddit, the original poster, and even threatened to sue me as well. Naturally, I thought it proper to provide my own commentary and opinion of their actions and also to take a brief look at a game that took over 20 years to make, had 3 indiegogo campaigns to fund it, and broke nearly a dozen release dates.

Sources used: https://www.reddit.com/r/SidAlpha/com... https://www.gog.com/forum/general/so_... http://archive.is/X9IZP https://techraptor.net/content/grimoi... https://store.steampowered.com/app/65... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbWRT...

20 years dev time and 3 crowdfunding campaigns. Truly legend. I am surprised I didn't hear about it before.

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

Sarsapariller posted:

More adventure images:

Star Citizen NPC's do not know how doors work. They start to bunch up and clip each other, coincidentally making it really hard to reach the open door button:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Armadillo Tank posted:

20 years dev time and 3 crowdfunding campaigns. Truly legend. I am surprised I didn't hear about it before.

Saying Cleve is an interesting individual is an understatement.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Just dawned on me. Roberts is the largest turkey of all.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Armadillo Tank posted:

Funniest thing about Grimoire is that the guy spent 20 years making a dungeon crawler worse than the ones that were around 20 years ago

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Sarsapariller posted:

Okay so yeah there's a big show floor at Lorevill that they are apparently going to load a poo poo ton of ships into this weekend. There is no way this works without crashing everyone in the vicinity.

https://imgur.com/a/wYXKAEv

This is why 3.3.5 was rushed out day before thanksgiving- they built an in game spaceship trade show into an untested, unfinished location.

Jesus Christ CIG

That is pretty cool, though. If it would be in a game that works, and where you can earn that stuff ingame with some kind of grind. Like, if something like that would happen in E:D, as a special event to showcase couple new ships, ingame, with no way of seeing them outside of the game for a couple of hours, it'd give it at thumbs up. (I'm a sucker for cool and expensive cars [which I pay/lease out of my own pocket instead of fooling similar idiots like me]).

But here, it's obvious how many hundred or thousand man-hours went into the next sales push, instead of fixing the game.

That Snickers Guy
Oct 29, 2018

Psst, hey kid.
Wanna buy some Star Wars Spoilers?

Have a Snickers you act like a DIVA when you're hungry.

I paid 5 buxx for this so I might as well make the most of it right?

How about a joke?

How do you milk a whale?
You release a new jpeg.

Here have a cat.
/\_/\
( 0.0 )
> ^ <

tuo posted:

That is pretty cool, though. If it would be in a game that works, and where you can earn that stuff ingame with some kind of grind. Like, if something like that would happen in E:D, as a special event to showcase couple new ships, ingame, with no way of seeing them outside of the game for a couple of hours, it'd give it at thumbs up. (I'm a sucker for cool and expensive cars [which I pay/lease out of my own pocket instead of fooling similar idiots like me]).

But here, it's obvious how many hundred or thousand man-hours went into the next sales push, instead of fixing the game.

But that's when someone finds out how to steal the ships without paying for them and flies off as chris is talking about them

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

I have you on ignore so I won't ignore your post welcome back to my ignore list to be ignored.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

trucutru posted:

I have you on ignore so I won't ignore your post welcome back to my ignore list to be ignored.

At least Derek was consistent and kept people on ignore forever :v:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

orcane posted:

At least Derek was consistent and kept people on ignore forever :v:

Yeah, but we had dudes who quoted those messages! Of course, they were promptly added to the blocked-buddies list by Derek.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard