Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

The global solution to immigration involves not bombing brown people and actually making their worlds better for them instead of better for us.

But that’s really hard so lol

I mean yes but Syria was an environmental disaster coupled with a civil war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

^^ Oh wow you’re right nothing to do but bomb them I guess. If only we had invented a kind of aid for disasters. Oh well.

Wilhelm posted:

again I agree with the sources you go by, I'm more just skeptical it can appropriately scale up - Canada has punched well above its weight vs. the US for refugee resettlement (this is a good thing) but there's still certainly lots of issues & shortcomings. I don't think it can scale infinitely if you're going to administer a successful program

yes the US could probably do 100x-200x more than it's doing currently doing; so yes when you're pick and choosing specific refugees in a tiny program vs the world's wealthiest economy your metrics will be way better

Luv 2 view refugees as an actual infinite war hammer ork wagh

LITERALLY MY FETISH fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Nov 22, 2018

Capri Sunrise
May 16, 2008

Elephants are mammals of the family Elephantidae and the largest existing land animals. Three species are currently recognised: the African bush elephant, the African forest elephant, and the Asian elephant.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

That's the thing though -- once you have America taking on 500k refugees instead of 50, that takes a lot of pressure off Europe.

Agreed. Like climate change a workable solution requires a global response.This does get fuzzier in other regions - Costa Rica for instance is substantially wealthier than its neighbors but is still a small country & again requires some sort of limit if it were to appropriately help people.

Singapore, Israel, particular wealthy ethnic states that would have their citizens lose all power (such as the gulf countries) due to supporting enormous 'worker migrants' would never grant citizenship easily

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Mooseontheloose posted:

I mean yes but Syria was an environmental disaster coupled with a civil war.

even with the climate issues, syria likely does not end up as it did without iraq. you certainly wouldn't have isis joining the fray if the civil war still occurred.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Stexils posted:

right, trade unionists aren't the ones proposing free trade, and they oppose immigration because they fear companies essentially hiring a bunch of scabs to destroy their union. i'm saying that the neoliberals who push policies like NAFTA or the TPP only care about capital and not labor. you can see this in how those policies destroy labor unions since companies can recruit from wherever they want, undermining union leverage. it also comes through in how they treat immigrants - rather than forcing companies to not hire non union workers leaders like obama simply deport people and restrict immigration, which shows they don't actually care about workers.

mhm having a bit of trouble following you here. Calling all immigrants scabs comes off not right, we should remember the early 20th century unionization push was driven by immigrants as much as any other group. We should also remember many early unions made very similar comparisons to black people as what you are doing here, and fought hard to exclude them from the labor movement. We shouldn't repeat those mistakes today.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

The global solution to immigration involves not bombing brown people and actually making their worlds better for them instead of better for us.

But that’s really hard so lol

Also, no margin in it. If the slaughter in Yemen stopped tomorrow, do you know how much money would not find its way to the needy coffers of weapons industries? In the debacle in Syria had been prevented, so many shells would be unspent!

Besides, increasing global vioence and mass migrations only empowers the right in the end, as they get more migrants to rage about, so even if they were not doing it on purpose, it works out well to their benefit. It's why the only unforgivable offense to the establishment is trying to suck the wind out of the war apparatus.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Wilhelm posted:

Agreed. Like climate change a workable solution requires a global response.This does get fuzzier in other regions - Costa Rica for instance is substantially wealthier than its neighbors but is still a small country & again requires some sort of limit if it were to appropriately help people.

Singapore, Israel, particular wealthy ethnic states that would have their citizens lose all power (such as the gulf countries) due to supporting enormous 'worker migrants' would never grant citizenship easily

Oh well if the ethnostates won’t do it then it can’t be done

Ignore the country with vast swathes of dying rural populations behind the curtain, not important to this discussion.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Wilhelm posted:

You are aware Singaporean population has increased more than fourfold in the last 50 years despite a low birthrate, right.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

Stexils posted:

refugee resettlement would actually be extremely easy in the us if the government actually used the tools it has. for example if the feds built a bunch of public housing and an unskilled jobs program for those who couldn't find work you could scale it up more or less indefinitely.

What about the reality of it all, governments across the US are unable to solve basic homelessness, umemployment, inequitable access to education, among a litany of other poo poo.

Blind people have a 70% unemployment rate for grok's sake and you think a concentrated unskilled jobs program is workable at scale?

You need a different government and populace than the one we have.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone! Some advice:

- To avoid politics discussions, talk about food and recipes. People who cook love to share recipes, and will interrupt people talking to share. Use those smokescreens!

- If you get into a discussion, an easy out is to find the youngest kid and ask them about things. Is the food good? Are you having fun? By the time you finish you'll have gained enough airtime that you can reboot the discussion or they have moved on.

- Though tempting, punching your CHUD relative should not be a first resort. Police are busy enough.

- Make sure to share your stories on the thread so we can tell you to :sever:

Enjoy your Thanksgiving Holiday, everyone!

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Squalid posted:

mhm having a bit of trouble following you here. Calling all immigrants scabs comes off not right, we should remember the early 20th century unionization push was driven by immigrants as much as any other group. We should also remember many early unions made very similar comparisons to black people as what you are doing here, and fought hard to exclude them from the labor movement. We shouldn't repeat those mistakes today.

of course all immigrants aren't scabs, i'm saying that's the fear, not that that's valid. the right way to go about it is to make immigration into the country easy so people don't have to be here illegally, because that gives companies leverage over workers in precarious positions because the workers can't stand up to them without risking deportation.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Universal absolutely open borders results in China taking over any small, strategic location it desires by state-sponsored (forced) immigration. Iceland, Monaco, Guam, Cyprus, Panama, Denmark, random countries in Africa, the list goes on. It’s a ridiculous idea if taken at face value.

Capri Sunrise
May 16, 2008

Elephants are mammals of the family Elephantidae and the largest existing land animals. Three species are currently recognised: the African bush elephant, the African forest elephant, and the Asian elephant.

Private Speech posted:

You are aware Singaporean population has increased more than fourfold in the last 50 years despite a low birthrate, right.

Sure as have many countries but again a lot of Malaysia would try to move somewhere with incomes that are an order of magnitude higher & with real health care

anyone who isn't very wealthy in kuala lumpur would absolutely want to use a doctor or hospital a few hours drive to the south vs their own - again not a tenable solution

pmchem posted:

Universal absolutely open borders results in China taking over any small, strategic location it desires by state-sponsored (forced) immigration. Iceland, Monaco, Guam, Cyprus, Panama, Denmark, random countries in Africa, the list goes on. It’s a ridiculous idea if taken at face value.

basically this. compassion and social welfare are good things but they need to be done in a realistic manner - the first real world government to propose some of what people here want would be overthrown by a radical right-wing party very quickly

people are generally lovely and not willing to sacrifice any comfort for the well being of invisible people

Capri Sunrise fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Nov 22, 2018

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

J.A.B.C. posted:

- To avoid politics discussions, talk about food and recipes. People who cook love to share recipes, and will interrupt people talking to share. Use those smokescreens!

- If you get into a discussion, an easy out is to find the youngest kid and ask them about things. Is the food good? Are you having fun? By the time you finish you'll have gained enough airtime that you can reboot the discussion or they have moved on.

- Though tempting, punching your CHUD relative should not be a first resort. Police are busy enough.

All of these food details have just been training us for Thanksgiving. It's all so clear now!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

pmchem posted:

Lmfao

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

osker posted:

What about the reality of it all, governments across the US are unable to solve basic homelessness, umemployment, inequitable access to education, among a litany of other poo poo.

Blind people have a 70% unemployment rate for grok's sake and you think a concentrated unskilled jobs program is workable at scale?

"grok"? really?

anyway the point i was making is that the problem isn't something unsolvable, it's a problem of political will rather than ability, and political narratives can be shifted.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Stexils posted:

of course all immigrants aren't scabs, i'm saying that's the fear, not that that's valid. the right way to go about it is to make immigration into the country easy so people don't have to be here illegally, because that gives companies leverage over workers in precarious positions because the workers can't stand up to them without risking deportation.

In the US at the very least uncapping the familial visa program or at least like not giving it an absurdly low number of visas would be nice.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

J.A.B.C. posted:

Thankfully everyone is my family is liberal so we'll all probably just bitch about Trump while watching football. Even my Vietnam vet dad HAAAATES Trump.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

pmchem posted:

osker posted:

Wilhelm posted:

Sure as have many countries but again a lot of Malaysia would try to move somewhere with incomes that are an order of magnitude higher & with real health care

anyone who isn't very wealthy in kuala lumpur would absolutely want to use a doctor or hospital a few hours drive to the south vs their own - again not a tenable solution

basically this. compassion and social welfare are good things but they need to be done in a realistic manner - the first real world government to propose some of what people here want would be overthrown by a radical right-wing party very quickly

people are generally lovely and not willing to sacrifice any comfort for the well being of invisible people

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vezr3dW4J5s

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

This video is not available in your country, I say while outing myself as a dirty euro and everything.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Jfc hillary is god awful

I can’t believe people keep trying to pretend the left hates her cause of right wing propaganda

She’s been awful for a long time and it was pretty obvious if you were paying any attention at all

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
Edit:^^^^omg you wore the same av as me to this party.

Private Speech posted:

This video is not available in your country, I say while outing myself as a dirty euro and everything.

It's a 30 second clip of Hitler working a crowd up into a frenzy of sieg heil's.

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Nov 22, 2018

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Condiv posted:

Jfc hillary is god awful

I can’t believe people keep trying to pretend the left hates her cause of right wing propaganda

She’s been awful for a long time and it was pretty obvious if you were paying any attention at all

As I've said before, even the absolute worst Dem is better than the absolute best Republican, and we'd all be a lot better off if she had won.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Condiv posted:

Jfc hillary is god awful

Centrists are going full fash at an astonishing rate

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

pmchem posted:

lol if you think the reason a much larger nation-state doesn't annex and occupy a much smaller neighbor is because the smaller neighbor has its own internal regulations.

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

This isn't a war, it's a moider.

J.A.B.C. posted:

This is a whole lot of words where "cut lovely people out of your life" would've sufficed. Skip to the last step for instant time savings.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

china seems to be committing genocide just fine without open borders

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Your Taint posted:

As I've said before, even the absolute worst Dem is better than the absolute best Republican, and we'd all be a lot better off if she had won.

It’s ok your taint, she lost. You don’t have to stan for the xenophobic old white lady anymore

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lps-As9djiw

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Your Taint posted:

Only true in the short-term, and only provides the brief illusion of safety. In the long run there is no meaningful difference between an enabler/collaborator and a fascist.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Condiv posted:

It’s ok your taint, she lost. You don’t have to stan for the xenophobic old white lady anymore

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lps-As9djiw

I'm not a fan, believe me. And yeah, she is absolutely flawed. But she's not Donald loving Trump.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

pmchem posted:

lmao white people actually believe this

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

as a white person I'm terrified of the Chinese invasion of Denmark.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

J.A.B.C. posted:

Why would we yell at the people who completely disagree with us at Thanksgiving dinner when we can stay here, yelling at the people who only mostly agree with us? :confused:

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Party Plane Jones posted:

this thanksgiving i'm thankful for buttons so i can tell people to stop posting and enjoy their involuntary thanksgiving vacation

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Personally, I'm more of a fan of the parts where she whines about how the stupid lazy sheeple just can't handle ~🇺🇲freedom🇺🇲~

quote:

Clinton was speaking in the quiet of hermidtown New York offices, just before the midterm elections. She admitted to still being “absolutely dumbfounded” by her defeat, and reflected on the sudden appeal of combative, supposedly straight-talking candidates who, she said, spoke to people’s emotions, not their reason.

“Strength right now seems really attractive, and there’s not enough of an awareness, or reminders, about what that can lead to,” she said. “There is this tension. I don’t fully understand it. I think it’s as much psychological, maybe more than political, as to what people are yearning for. I mean, freedom is burdensome. It’s hard getting up and taking responsibility for yourself and trying to make all these decisions.”

quote:

Clinton said rightwing populists in the west met “a psychological as much as political yearning to be told what to do, and where to go, and how to live and have their press basically stifled and so be given one version of reality.

“The whole American system was designed so that you would eliminate the threat from a strong, authoritarian king or other leader and maybe people are just tired of it. They don’t want that much responsibility and freedom. They want to be told what to do and where to go and how to live … and only given one version of reality."

You'd think after blowing 2016 because she was seen as too elitist, she might try to tone down the whole "looking down on the electorate" bit.

Capri Sunrise
May 16, 2008

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

soviets unironically did this - it isn't a stretch to say an authoritarian dictatorship can force people around pretty easily

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Your Taint posted:

I'm not a fan, believe me. And yeah, she is absolutely flawed. But she's not Donald loving Trump.

Who cares? She lost. She was completely and totally incompetent and couldn’t win against a reality tv star. It’s done.

You don’t need to remind people that you would’ve preferred the lady xenophobe over the orange one. She’s not up for vote anymore and reiterating your continued support for her isn’t a good look

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Main Paineframe posted:

Personally, I'm more of a fan of the parts where she whines about how the stupid lazy sheeple just can't handle ~🇺🇲freedom🇺🇲~

You'd think after blowing 2016 because she was seen as too elitist, she might try to tone down the whole "looking down on the electorate" bit.

Hillary is like if you grew the most unlikable politician in a lab somewhere.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Stexils posted:

Ok, now I think I'm beginning to understand. This seems like good practical reform, although I'm not sure how this conclusion squares with your criticism of neoliberalism, as this effort to both increase freedom of movement and institutionalize the status of those workers seems like the neoliberal solution par excellence.

I think it would be a great idea, the United States needs to allow vastly more farm laborers into the country legally to meet agriculture's needs, and allowing more highly skilled workers like doctors and engineers in would be great for workers who use their services but don't compete with them directly in the labor market.

Unfortunately I fear any effort to effect this reform would be attacked from all angles, immigrant skeptics would cry murder at increased visa quotas, while immigration advocates would balk hard at any attempt to require employee verification of legal status (As well they should, given that it would ruin many undocumented families.). US immigration policy is such a janky and contrived contraption I fear the whole edifice will collapse on itself if we were to try and fix it piecemeal, it needs to be radically reformed all in one go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Wilhelm posted:

soviets unironically did this - it isn't a stretch to say an authoritarian dictatorship can force people around pretty easily

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)