Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you thankful for?
This poll is closed.
Video games (sincere) 44 10.89%
Video games (ironic) 14 3.47%
Video games (the mod) 74 18.32%
Video games (but only for my platform of choice) 10 2.48%
Video games (but only the one game I play) 13 3.22%
Video games (but only the ones I played as a kid) 17 4.21%
Family, friends, your job, the forum (sincere) 38 9.41%
Family, friends, your job, the forum (ironic) 14 3.47%
Bowsette 117 28.96%
That this Bowsette meme seems to be dying 63 15.59%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

More like spider-narc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

ASCAB :colbert:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

bushisms.txt posted:

More like spider-narc

all spidermans are bastards

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Blizzard has literally no idea how to balance a game. If they had made Starcraft Broodwar in the year 2018 they would of ruined its balance in the first patch.

After they release skins for each unit you can buy for a small price of 4.99 (for a random lootbox)

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Internet Kraken posted:

Blizzard has literally no idea how to balance a game. If they had made Starcraft Broodwar in the year 2018 they would of ruined its balance in the first patch.

After they release skins for each unit you can buy for a small price of 4.99 (for a random lootbox)

Please expand on this, I’m curious

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Steve Yun posted:

Basically if you took that same game and released it today, it would not survive Blizzard's current development culture. No matter how balanced a game is, its always gonna be patched; because patches get people interested in picking it up again. And Blizzard has a vested interest in keeping as many people as possible interested in their games rather than appealing to serious, dedicated players.

And on the surface that seems like a good thing; why wouldn't you want a dev to keep patching their game? But the reality is Blizzard doesn't patch with a solid balance plan. They patch with the intent of pushing new content for people to play with first and balance second. If there was ever a stable, perfect meta in a game Blizzard would gladly disrupt it by throwing in new poo poo that completely upends it. A shifting meta isn't necessarily a bad thing but Blizzard handles it without any sort of finesse or care.

And all this isn't done for the sake of improving the game; its done to sell lootboxes. Get people to play the game again. Get them to buy shiny new skins. Do whatever it takes to keep people on the hamster wheel, and trickling in new content is the perfect way to do that. Tons of games do this now, but with Blizzard its extremely clear their only interest in supporting a game is opportunities to fleece people with their insidious microtransactions.

So lets examine the hypothetical of Starcraft Broodwar being released by 2018 Blizzard. Well, the game would come out of the box with cosmetics and loot boxes for all your little units (which would kind of be awesome in an RTS not gonna lie). But then after a month or so, they balance patch the game. Maybe they make a reactionary patch to something the community is vocally complaining about (nerf spider mines or some poo poo). Might not seem like a big deal but making little changes without planning ahead can disrupt a very delicate balance. Soon they add some new units (with some new cosmetics buy now!), and those units are designed to be as flashy and cool as possible to draw people back into the game. Their balance is dubious though, and further balance patches just exacerbate the problems. A year down the line you've got a game that's meta has shifted from the original incarnation in a huge way due to so many changes and additions, and because Blizzard is focused on content first and balance second the game's meta becomes a mangled mess.

But you can give your marines cowboy hats or something so don't complain. Just buy more lootboxes.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Steve Yun posted:

From my experience with Hearthstone and Overwatch in the past few years, they basically approach balance issues with a very heavy sledgehammer. When things are nerfed, they'll utterly kill the option, or revamp it in to a completely different form. In a similar fashion when things are buffed, they tend to be extremely powerful, or they introduce new options that are hard counters to old stuff, warping the meta around the new thing. There's very rarely any nuance to their nerfs and buffs.

End result is a game experience that can be very swingy and unpredictable, often with long periods of having to deal with whatever is the new hot game warping thing.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Most goon opinions about balance in any competitive game are poo poo. They watch some 30-minute thinkpiece about how GOAT comp is really broken at high levels of play and think that's totally their situation for why they can't kill a Brigitte. It's about as useful for one's own learning as reading NPR's 38 interviews a week with rural Ohio voters about how they're sticking with Trump.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Most goon opinions about balance in any competitive game are poo poo. They watch some 30-minute thinkpiece about how GOAT comp is really broken at high levels of play and think that's totally their situation for why they can't kill a Brigitte. It's about as useful for one's own learning as reading NPR's 38 interviews a week with rural Ohio voters about how they're sticking with Trump.

Good, I was beginning to think that the weird self-hating goon standpoint was underrepresented in this thread

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Every character in Overwatch has a 15 second stun so you can't play the game even when you're playing the game so it looks miserable

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Stick to single player games

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

I main Hanzo because I don't want globalist fluoride chemtrails in my tap water

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Nerf all other heroes and buff Mei because she will BUILD THAT WALL.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

My experience playing Overwatch after having not played it since the Olympics event in 2016.

https://twitter.com/Arikadou/status/1065417759658393600

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
happy thanksgiving amerigoons

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Looper posted:

happy thanksgiving amerigoons

Thank you, and happy thanksgiving to you as well and all others who are celebrating it

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ty, fak

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Wow, Dragon Quest 11 is fantastic

I'm not even sure I need to get AssCreedOdd today, but it's so cheap I might as well

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Is very good. I like it better than 8

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy
DQ11 is my favorite game this year. also one of my favorite games ever. i'm biased tho

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

psychoJ posted:

DQ11 is my favorite game this year. also one of my favorite games ever. i'm biased tho

I gotta finish the postgame

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

I gotta finish the postgame

I thought the postgame was a huge bummer because of story reasons

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I stopped right at the start of the post game to play other stuff since it seemed like a good break point but I really wanna finish it up by the end of the year.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Is DQ11 coming to the Switch?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Is it really called post game if you are still playing? What defines something being post game? I have always wondered this.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

VideoGames posted:

Is it really called post game if you are still playing? What defines something being post game? I have always wondered this.

It's usually anything after credits roll. So mgsv has the longest post game of all time

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Wildtortilla posted:

It was the first game ever announced for switch, when it was still codenamed NX, but the switch version has also been indefinitely delayed bc they've had port issues. It will come out eventually but may stay Japan only like the 3DS version

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

VideoGames posted:

In rpgs the postgame refers to the challenging bosses and dungeons after the credits. Dq11 has a more robust postgame than other rpgs, adding an entire epilogue

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Wildtortilla posted:

Yes.

When though no one can tell, not even the geniuses at Squeenix.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Thank you in training and real hurtling. That makes a ton of sense and answers my question succinctly :)

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

DQ11 not being up for goty is the true sign gaming journalism has failed

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

corn in the bible posted:

DQ11 not being up for goty is the true sign gaming journalism has failed

if it wanted to be goty it should have tried being a mediocre action game

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Relax Or DIE posted:

if it wanted to be goty it should have tried being a mediocre action game

With 70 hours of transit between events

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i liked RDR2 more than i thought i would on the whole but i still spent several hours of it doing something else while my horse clip-clopped through miles of absolute gently caress-all

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

The actual frustrating thing was all the journalists attacking it for being a traditional jrpg as if we have dozens of those releasing all the time. Ironically I think that so much stuff tries to be different and subvert your expectations that now a well-crafted yet traditional game like that feels super refreshing and good, in much the same way that DOOM maybe wouldn't have stood out ten years ago but now feels like a breath of fresh air because you simply don't get big, exciting single player fpses anymore.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Real hurthling! posted:

With 70 hours of transit between events

And Teal’c as voice actor.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The actual frustrating thing was all the journalists attacking it for being a traditional jrpg as if we have dozens of those releasing all the time. Ironically I think that so much stuff tries to be different and subvert your expectations that now a well-crafted yet traditional game like that feels super refreshing and good, in much the same way that DOOM maybe wouldn't have stood out ten years ago but now feels like a breath of fresh air because you simply don't get big, exciting single player fpses anymore.

it's doubly weird bc all those same outlets put out articles all last year praising the "return" of Japanese gaming, even though t was more of a awareness of an ongoing trend, and then they just shrugged and stopped caring again this year bc Spider Man says funny poo poo while swinging around doing fetch quests

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Pretty sure most journalists who played DQ11 liked it.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
Well, to be fair the came could have been more innovative and - *is washed away in a flood of new JRPG releases, each more traditional than the last*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Andrast posted:

Pretty sure most journalists who played DQ11 liked it.

Everybody complained it was too grindy and too easy bc everybody who reviews JRPGs is apparently 5 years old

• Locked thread