Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Kim Jong Il posted:

Going after civilians is wrong

Surprised KJI's keyboard still works after the whiplash of going from his previous posts to this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Israel is costbenefit analysing the gently caress out of gaza though. With airstrikes and blockades

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I do wonder what the IDF puts in the 'cost' column when it comes to bombing gaza

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

If the tunnels were in Israeli territory why did they have to cross the border at all to collapse them.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

VitalSigns posted:

If the tunnels were in Israeli territory why did they have to cross the border at all to collapse them.

This is something I've wondered for a while. They're aware of the tunnels, they know they're in Israeli territory, why not collapse them in Israel? A tunnel with no exit doesn't seem particularly useful and also destroying the exit doesn't require sending troops into Palestinian territory.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Kim Jong Il posted:

What do you call Hamas digging tunnels in Israeli territory then?

Gee, I feel like we just covered this question like five posts ago.

Main Paineframe posted:

If there was in fact a soldier-abducting tunnel going into Israeli territory, and Israel did in fact know about it, then they had plenty of options for dealing with it that didn't involve breaking a ceasefire. Dealing with people tunneling at you without having to send troops overland into enemy lines to seize the tunnel entrance was something militaries could manage centuries ago, usually with far less of a technological and materiel advantage than Israel currently possesses.

If Israel didn't want Hamas building fortifications and making other war preparations during the ceasefire, then they should have specifically banned that as part of the ceasefire deal. Otherwise, building things and digging holes in one's own territory is legal during a ceasefire. And we know it was in their own territory, because if they'd crossed the border line then Israel would have no need to do a raid like that.

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
They were also being really really rude and that just provoked israel because israel is like a wild animal and its your fault when you get mauled. Shouldnt be provokin bro

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Kim Jong Il posted:

Completely justified and good.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Kim Jong Il posted:

Israel doesn't even claim this. Aside from their reasoning changing from "stopping rocket fire" when it became clear that excuse was bullshit they then relied on them unilaterally stating that tunnels coming within 500m of the border (ie still in Palestine) would be met with an attack. So your question is purely hypothetical and the real actual situation was a tunnel within Palestinian territory.

So you tell us what should Israel's response to Palestinian tunnels within Palestinian territory be? Was Operation Cast Lead appropriate for that why or why not?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Raldikuk posted:

Israel doesn't even claim this. Aside from their reasoning changing from "stopping rocket fire" when it became clear that excuse was bullshit they then relied on them unilaterally stating that tunnels coming within 500m of the border (ie still in Palestine) would be met with an attack. So your question is purely hypothetical and the real actual situation was a tunnel within Palestinian territory.

So you tell us what should Israel's response to Palestinian tunnels within Palestinian territory be? Was Operation Cast Lead appropriate for that why or why not?

Anything Gaza does to prepare for Israeli aggression justifies Israeli aggression how does this not make sense to you?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
The fucker might have pulled it off again, at least winning a reprieve: Netanyahu's government holds together, for now, as key partner says he won't quit coalition

quote:

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, celebrated among his supporters as “the magician,” appeared to have once again pulled victory from the jaws of defeat Monday as a senior member of his coalition withdrew the threat of resignation, which could have brought down his government and triggered early elections.

In a high-stakes battle, Netanyahu persuaded his hawkish minister of education, Naftali Bennett, to retreat from his decision to resign if not appointed to serve as defense minister.

Israel’s coalition crisis was sparked by the surprise resignation last week of Avigdor Lieberman, the hard-line defense minister who accused Netanyahu of capitulating to terrorists by agreeing to a tacit cease-fire with Hamas, the militia ruling the Gaza Strip.

Lieberman’s withdrawal from Netanyahu’s right-wing coalition leaves the government with a parliamentary majority of just one, which signals a tumultuous period ahead as the prime minister strives to avoid calling for early elections before their scheduled date of November 2019.

Had Bennett and his Jewish Home party followed through on his threat, the government would have been left with an unmanageable minority and elections would almost certainly have been triggered for early next year.

Despite the reprieve, Israeli experts give Netanyahu’s fragile coalition little chance of long-term survival.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Kurnugia posted:

Well I am talking to you...

How did I mischaracterize your argument or anyone's? Do you have an argument at all?

Illuyankas posted:

Surprised KJI's keyboard still works after the whiplash of going from his previous posts to this

When have I advocated attacks against civilians?

Alastor_the_Stylish posted:

Completely justified and good.

You're saying thousands of civilians deaths are good, because that's all they've accomplished.

Raldikuk posted:

Israel doesn't even claim this. Aside from their reasoning changing from "stopping rocket fire" when it became clear that excuse was bullshit they then relied on them unilaterally stating that tunnels coming within 500m of the border (ie still in Palestine) would be met with an attack.

How exactly do you expect Israel to interpret a tunnel after the Shalit kidnapping? It was a naked provocation given Hamas's precedent for kidnapping.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Kim Jong Il posted:

How exactly do you expect Israel to interpret a tunnel after the Shalit kidnapping? It was a naked provocation given Hamas's precedent for kidnapping.

As a preparation for a potential future attack - something which is allowed under a ceasefire (just like Israel mustering forces for an invasion during the ceasefire), and which posed little real threat given that Israel already knew the presence and location of the supposed tunnel.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Main Paineframe posted:

As a preparation for a potential future attack - something which is allowed under a ceasefire (just like Israel mustering forces for an invasion during the ceasefire), and which posed little real threat given that Israel already knew the presence and location of the supposed tunnel.

also 'kidnapping' is kind of a weird verb for grabbing military forces of a hostile power

'capture' is better

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Kim Jong Il posted:

Uh, in the very sentence he's quoting? Do you just not remember anything you've ever posted? It would explain a lot.

Kim Jong Il posted:

going after military targets can be justified if you do a cost benefit analysis on the civilian casualties, and think about the long term escalatory effects of retaliation.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Kim Jong Il posted:

Please answer my question about why it's necessary for them to send troops into Gaza and bomb Hamas leaders in order to deal with tunnels entering Israeli territory. Why can't they destroy the parts of the tunnels in Israeli territory?

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Kim Jong Il posted:

quote:

Oh sure "me personally" I dont advocate for attacks against civilians, but when they happen I do always painstakingly point out how they were always 100% justified because of a terror tunnel, or a terror kite, or a terror seagull

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Gaza Museum of Natural History hit by air strikes after exhibit on flying dinosaurs; IDF spokesman claims successful engagement against 'terror dactyl'

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Is Israel building fortifications in Israeli territory a provocation that justifies attacks on their civilians or does that morality only go one way.

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

Please answer my question about why it's necessary for them to send troops into Gaza and bomb Hamas leaders in order to deal with tunnels entering Israeli territory. Why can't they destroy the parts of the tunnels in Israeli territory?
And amazingly, all I hear is crickets.

This is a legitimately good question, thanks for asking it and pointing out the obvious contradiction.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

The entire framing is bullshit anyway. The idea that capturing a member of your enemies military is a "kidnapping" is so blatantly bullshit.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

kidkissinger posted:

The entire framing is bullshit anyway. The idea that capturing a member of your enemies military is a "kidnapping" is so blatantly bullshit.
Or that they keep referring to the Gaza ‘border’ when it’s not a separate nation.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Palestinians are simultaneously Israeli residents, hostile militants and foreign nationals, depending solely on which label most excuses whatever excesses they’re currently suffering at the hands of Israel and the IDF. It’s a narrative as old as nationalism if not older.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

the idf's backbone is built almost entirely from heavily indoctrinated and conscripted teenagers, so I guess the term is technically correct... which is the first place a chucklefuck will always take refuge.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2018/11/cnn-fires-contributor-marc-lamont-hill-criticising-israel-181130061452765.html

So is "from the river to the sea" really a slogan used by terror groups exclusively? CNN dropped this guy like he said 'Death to America' after speaking about US aid to Syrian rebels or something.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

pro starcraft loser posted:

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2018/11/cnn-fires-contributor-marc-lamont-hill-criticising-israel-181130061452765.html

So is "from the river to the sea" really a slogan used by terror groups exclusively? CNN dropped this guy like he said 'Death to America' after speaking about US aid to Syrian rebels or something.

It's used as a pro one state solution slogan from the Palestinian side. Israeli one-staters use very similar rhetoric.

Whether a one state solution implies ethnic cleansing depends on who you talk to. There's an unfortunate amount of overlap with pro-ethnic cleansing groups using that rhetoric ... so may be wiser to avoid risking the implication.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Every single pro-Palestine rally I've been to used the phrase.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!
The phrase in that context basically does mean a one state solution with Palestine in control and his backpedaling from that is kind of weird but I think that's when he was hoping to save his job. The sad thing is that expressing that view is looked down upon but flip it around and have a one state solution controlled by Israel and no one at CNN would have blinked an eye.

incredible flesh
Oct 6, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
the river is my vagina and the sea is my broad and salty rear end

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

incredible flesh posted:

the river is my vagina and the sea is my broad and salty rear end

Reads like an apocryphal passage from the song of songs.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Raldikuk posted:

The phrase in that context basically does mean a one state solution with Palestine in control and his backpedaling from that is kind of weird but I think that's when he was hoping to save his job. The sad thing is that expressing that view is looked down upon but flip it around and have a one state solution controlled by Israel and no one at CNN would have blinked an eye.

Of course, it only possibly means that one thing.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
They say "from the river to the sea, Palestine will be free"; the "of Jews" is silent.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Was curious if CNN was being WAY out of line or not.

pro starcraft loser fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Dec 1, 2018

Gorgo Primus
Mar 29, 2009

We shall forge the most progressive republic ever known to man!
How do people get 'he was clearly calling for ethnic cleansing while being super sneaky and is anti-semetic' from him saying he wanted "a single secular democratic state for everyone" in a "free Palestine from the river to the sea" in a speech in which he criticized and condemned Israel's ethnic cleansing?

It looks like the only reason they fired him was because he was a public figure who expressed anti-Zionist sentiments where people could hear him.

Gorgo Primus fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Dec 1, 2018

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Has anyone on CNN called for a free Israel from the river to the sea?

Gorgo Primus
Mar 29, 2009

We shall forge the most progressive republic ever known to man!
Why would they? Israel is already a sovereign powerful state that basically controls the whole of Palestine. It'd be like calling for a free Boer Republic in Southern Africa in the 70s.

Gorgo Primus fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Dec 1, 2018

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I guess they never specified that they fired him for that one phrase, and rather for generally calling out Israel being a genocidal rogue state, so it doesn't really matter. It was ADL who recognized the dog-whistle, and plenty of folks already called them and CNN out for being absolutely cool with people advocating for ethnic cleansing of Palestinians.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

They say "from the river to the sea, Palestine will be free"; the "of Jews" is silent.

Is it really though?

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
"From the Pennines to the sea" gets used in anti-fascist chants around here. Are we secret antisemites?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

naked anti-colonialism gonna get tagged with the gaudiest poo poo cuz that's how the media class and the reactionaries do. their lives revolve around affectation and they weaponize it effectively, so don't be surprised or question it when they try to trap you in the fineries of their shame.

no one actually believes the state of israel doesn't lead to the genocide of the palestinian people, they just paint you with their guilt in an attempt to absolve themselves of it.