Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you thankful for?
This poll is closed.
Video games (sincere) 44 10.89%
Video games (ironic) 14 3.47%
Video games (the mod) 74 18.32%
Video games (but only for my platform of choice) 10 2.48%
Video games (but only the one game I play) 13 3.22%
Video games (but only the ones I played as a kid) 17 4.21%
Family, friends, your job, the forum (sincere) 38 9.41%
Family, friends, your job, the forum (ironic) 14 3.47%
Bowsette 117 28.96%
That this Bowsette meme seems to be dying 63 15.59%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

geoff keighley puts the crown on the 2018 fg of the year, gleam of force 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Okay what am I missing about landmarks in spider the man? I've tried taking pictures of five places now and none of them will let me. Do you have to find the exact right pixel to stand on or what?

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Andrast posted:

That game would just result in a collective "huh?" from the game awards audience
If you're going that route than I don't know why they'd bother having a Fighting Game of the Year category

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
Lethal League Blaze is the best fighting game of 2018 anyway.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

precision posted:

Okay what am I missing about landmarks in spider the man? I've tried taking pictures of five places now and none of them will let me. Do you have to find the exact right pixel to stand on or what?

Peters camera is different than photo mode.

Also they are really generous with what counts and even give you a visual indication when the shot is good enough

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The Game Awards just tends to nominate whatever is most recognizable and popular with mainstream audiences for GOTY, which has kind of normalized into the “big open world action adventure” category. DQ11 will probably win best RPG or w/e, I don’t think TGA hold much industry prestige.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

the game awards usually have a couple of interesting announcements at least, it's a fun capstone to the year

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I didn't realize they didn't put MHW in either action category, I guess because it would win easily compared to the rest of the lineup

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Relax Or DIE posted:

I didn't realize they didn't put MHW in either action category, I guess because it would win easily compared to the rest of the lineup

It's too niche, I suppose. But yeah, gotta give other games a chance at being goty even if we all know that it comes with an asterisk.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

MHW is Capcom’s bestselling game ever

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah it and DBFZ are some of the best selling games of the year IIRC and they both came out in January

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

chumbler posted:

No game has learned the lessons of TWEWY. Let the player chain battles and turn down their level for a multiplier on drops. Granted that wouldn't work as well in very simple turn based games where getting hit is basically unavoidable, but there is probably some way they could work something similar.

Trails of Cold Steel II chains battles if two or three monsters close in on you at once and it's neat.

I'd like to see an RPG where you can just press a button to have a random battle anytime you want, and otherwise they don't ever happen. Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth lets you do that eventually but you have to have high-level mons and it's tied to a long animation for some reason? so that makes it cumbersome.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Nov 22, 2018

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Minstrel Song does battle chaining also, and you get a nice jewel bonus at the end

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.nintendo.com/switch/games-with-an-edge/

Nintendo announced their holiday bundles

Get a switch and Fortnite for $300!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Will I get enough V-Bucks to nae nae on some noobs

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

MHW is Capcom’s bestselling game ever

It is, but that doesn't mean game awards people won't still see it as some niche game.

Edit: Oh it actually is listed for goty, which it is. And RPG makes sense if their qualification is customization and progression.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Nov 22, 2018

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Is Monster Hunter seriously a nominee for best RPG?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Electric Phantasm posted:

Is Monster Hunter seriously a nominee for best RPG?

Yeah that's what threw me - I could see them not including it all because it 'seems' niche, despite its sales (as mentioned already.)

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Overcooked 2 is a family game in much the same way as Monopoly is a family game.

May 8, 2006

Also it's nice to see PoE 2 get a shoutout in the RPG category. Maybe some recognition in a very mainstream show will help push more copies, though maybe it doesn't matter as much now that Microsoft owns them.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I Believe in Goku, now a literal God.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

https://www.nintendo.com/switch/games-with-an-edge/

Nintendo announced their holiday bundles

Get a switch and Fortnite for $300!

Such an amazing bargain considering the game is free to play!

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

only if you give me your credit card number, the expiration, and the three digits on the back

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

You get a whole $10 worth of credits. A list of things you can get with that in Fortnite includes the following;

So generous of Nintendo!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The switch + V Bucks bundle has been around for months so idk why they're highlighting it again

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

MHWorld is definitely the dark horse to win. It's multiplatform, no real blemishes and near universally praised.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
MHW also came out in January so it basically doesn't exist anymore in the eyes of the voting populace.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

In Training posted:

The switch + V Bucks bundle has been around for months so idk why they're highlighting it again

Because it's the biggest game in the world

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

and the game of the year of 2018 is... *opens envelope*

unbelieveable!!

it's

it's Picross 3D Round 2 again! three years in a row, incredible

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

GotY is... Jay Rust’s heavily-modded version of Morrowind, customized to his exact tastes??

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
It's Six Ages: Ride Like the Wind

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

The 7th Guest posted:

and the game of the year of 2018 is... *opens envelope*

unbelieveable!!

it's

it's Picross 3D Round 2 again! three years in a row, incredible

That's not how you spell Lumines :thunk:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Rarity posted:

That's not how you spell Lumines :thunk:

That's not how you spell Ghost Trick.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's katamari damacy

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
next year it's we love katamari

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

MARIO 2 GOTY BABY

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I've literally never bought anything in a black Friday sale but picking up AssCreedOdd and Shadow of the Tomb Raider for $54 total was way too good to pass up

But holy poo poo that gamestop smelled terrible.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

chumbler posted:

That's not how you spell Ghost Trick.

umm ghost trick has been game of the year for more than three years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Colonel posted:

it's katamari damacy

This comes out for Switch in like two weeks.

• Locked thread