Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Speaking of Ed Jahns, the guy who designed the "most powerful tube instrument amplifier ever" looked like this:

(on the right in shirt and tie)

From Steve Bussey, who worked with Ed at Fender:

quote:

I worked with Ed Jahns at Fender from 1978 - 1981. He was an extremely smart man, I learned a lot from him. Friendly and helpful, he was always ready to offer a suggestion on how to measure an electric parameter, modify a circuit, or a way to make something stronger. He taught me a lot about thermocouples and measuring the temperature of the high power amplifiers I was designing at that time. The tube manufacturers learned a lot from Ed too, He had them make numerous design changes to improve tube performance and reliability.

Most of the rest of us in Research & Development wore rock and roll T shirts to work, Ed always had on a tie and a white shirt. He went home at noon every day for lunch with his wife Buealah and to watch Kung Fu re-runs at that time. He liked the philosophical lessons of Grasshopper.

Ed was extremely patriotic and nationalistic, and did not like Japanese imports of any kind, nor the practice of having some Fender products assembled in Mexico. He gave me a "Glorious Hero Award" for convincing a Japanese electronics salesman to buy me lunch, without any commitment to buy his product!

I was in my mid twenties at that time, Ed was over 70, but sharp as a tack, and in great physical shape.

lol racist old man builds earth-destroying amps and loves david carradine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Try to write a character like that in a work of fiction and you'd be mocked for writing far-fetched non-sense.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Lester Shy posted:

"What's CandyRat?"

"Oh no."

The Nexus for fingerstyle guitarists that focus a lot of rhythmic compositions and weird rear end guitars like that. It's not all terrible poo poo to be honest, and usually technically impressive but it all sounds the same ei, like Andy McKee.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
it's just flamenco for dudes who play wonderwall at parties

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Jonny Nox posted:

Honestly I'd be more impressed if he wasn't wearing pajamas

Hey, that's forest fire camo.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007

I'm the engineer that used the DI instead of those 2 nice mics, because that dumbass couldnt stand still.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Good lord.

I'd rather watch someone play the Mario theme on nylon strings.

edit: OK wtf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEcbvyNpPgg

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

^that owns

As for the whole weird percussive acoustic thing. I like Kaki King and that’s basically it. When most people start slapping their acoustic I lose complete interest. It’s just one of those things that leaves me entirely cold and empty. Glad other people enjoy it for sure but it’s not for me at all.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Kilometers Davis posted:

^that owns

As for the whole weird percussive acoustic thing. I like Kaki King and that’s basically it. When most people start slapping their acoustic I lose complete interest. It’s just one of those things that leaves me entirely cold and empty. Glad other people enjoy it for sure but it’s not for me at all.

You need to listen to Rodrigo and Gabriela.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

It does matter if it's wrong or it's right

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsTOz_iEfI4

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I should definitely listen to more R&G but they’re not too awful about that stuff right?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Here's some loving amazing music poo poo which I'm watching now courtesy of my YouTube recommendations :popeye:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVMo4F2H0dY

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Kilometers Davis posted:

I should definitely listen to more R&G but they’re not too awful about that stuff right?
They are loving amazing. No joke, probably one of the best things to come out from México.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Kilometers Davis posted:

they're just playing metal songs with some flamenco techniques, not les claypool meets windham hill like that other stuff

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
speaking of the former

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNQnWbUWAMw

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.
sixteen string guitar, all high E strings, with penis inlay in the headstock
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVMo4F2H0dY&t=1303s

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Actuary X posted:

Of course Steve Albini was involved.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Actuary X posted:

"That's a pretty... that's like one of the bossest headstocks you'll ever see in your entire life."

- Gray Haired Man on Guitar With Random Dick Head Inlay on Headstock

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Nov 21, 2018

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

SY stupid music poo poo:

Kim: please stop cheating on me especially with girls younger than our daughter. It’ll wreck our marriage and the band dynamic.

Thurston: naw.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

SY stupid music poo poo:

Kim: please stop cheating on me especially with girls younger than our daughter. It’ll wreck our marriage and the band dynamic.

Eew. I heard about it on Maron's podcast but I didn't know they were that young.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

SY stupid music poo poo:

Coco is 24 now, so considering they divorced in 2011 and the affair had been going on a few years she would have been mid teens. Thurston is a tosser and Eva Prinz is indeed twenty years younger than him, but paedophile is a bit strong.

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

darkwasthenight posted:

she would have been mid teens

, but paedophile is a bit strong.

?

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Coco, not the women he had the affair with. Eva is in her thirties.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

SY stupid music poo poo:

Man, I come here to laugh at silly music nonsense, hear some awesome music or evaluate future gear options, not to throw up in disgust or get choked-up about how one of my childhood idols (the band as a whole) basically imploded because a grown-rear end man couldn't loving keep it in his pants.

Pondex posted:

Eew. I heard about it on Maron's podcast but I didn't know they were that young.
Jesus christ. Is there a smilie that's like the combination of :barf: and :cripes: to explain how I feel right now?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Wark Say posted:

Man, I come here to laugh at silly music nonsense, hear some awesome music or evaluate future gear options, not to throw up in disgust or get choked-up about how one of my childhood idols (the band as a whole) basically imploded because a grown-rear end man couldn't loving keep it in his pants.

"because a grown-rear end man couldn't loving keep it in his pants" is one of the more important reasons for things happening all throughout history.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

prefect posted:

"because a grown-rear end man couldn't loving keep it in his pants" is one of the more important reasons for things happening all throughout history.
While I find your reply really funny, it's still kind of a bummer in this specific case. :shobon:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Wark Say posted:

While I find your reply really funny, it's still kind of a bummer in this specific case. :shobon:

I totally get it. :sympathy:

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

SY stupid music poo poo:

To me the SY stupid music poo poo was Kim deciding ‘you know what this band really needs is a third guitar’

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Sorry for the bummer 😐

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.
Not really stupid music poo poo, just laughing a a local store's Black Friday sale: 15% OFF EVERYTHING IN THE STORE*

And on a separate page:

quote:

* the following brands are excluded
Akai
AKG Acoustics
Alesis
Alto
BSS Audio
Boss
Charvel Guitars
Conn-Selmer
Crown Audio
DBX Professional
Denon
Digitech
Edirol
Epiphone
EVH
Fender / Fender Custom Shop
G-Drive
Gator
Gibson
Gretsch Drums / Gretsch Guitars
Groove Tubes
Ibanez
Ion
Jackson
JBL Pro
Korg
Lexicon
Line 6
M-Audio
Marantz
Mark Bass
Marshall
Nord
Numark
Orange
Oscar Schmidt
Ovation Guitars
Pearl
Pioneer
Protechtor
Quiklok
QSC
Radial Engineering
Rane
Roland
Samson
Seymour Duncan
Shure
Soundcraft
Source Audio
Strymon
Studiologic
Squier
Takamine Guitars
Tama
Tascam
Taylor Guitars
Vater
Vox
Walrus Audio
Warwick
Yamaha

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

stillvisions posted:

Not really stupid music poo poo, just laughing a a local store's Black Friday sale: 15% OFF EVERYTHING IN THE STORE*

And on a separate page:

RICKENBACKER SALE

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

stillvisions posted:

And on a separate page:

"We have so many Schecters, please take them"

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Anime Reference posted:

"We have so many Schecters, please take them"
Like, I know they're not everyone's cup of tea, but goddamn, they get the job done. Still funny, though. :v:

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Wark Say posted:

Like, I know they're not everyone's cup of tea, but goddamn, they get the job done. Still funny, though. :v:

I've got nothing against Schecters, my Omen 6 was a good guitar and I should've kept it. Used Schecters are woefully overrepresented at my local-ish Guitar Center, though, and I doubt it's out of the ordinary.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
they're perfectly fine like every other mid-budget korean instrument, but they're the affliction shirt of guitars

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
I did some stupid poo poo last night and may have wrecked my new Fender Rumble 200 - I connected a cable from the 8 ohm external speaker output into a sound card and now my amp sound really hosed up. It sounds like the overdrive is cranked up even though I'm playing clean, and the volume keeps fluctuating. Also it makes a loud POP when I turn it on. Any ideas what might be the problem or how to fix it? In the end we found an XLR cable and DI'd it, and the recording sounded fine, so I guess it must be the speakers?

Should still be under warranty but ugh so stupid!

Red Rox fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Nov 22, 2018

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
:aaaaa:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

stillvisions posted:

And on a separate page:
That's like when Guitar Center emails me coupons and the brands excluded are everything you would actually want to buy.

I think I might have unsubscribed from their emails because I don't recall getting one of those in a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

Disco De Soto posted:

I did some stupid poo poo last night and may have wrecked my new Fender Rumble 200 - I connected a cable from the 8 ohm external speaker output into a sound card and now my amp sound really hosed up. It sounds like the overdrive is cranked up even though I'm playing clean, and the volume keeps fluctuating. Also it makes a loud POP when I turn it on. Any ideas what might be the problem or how to fix it? In the end we found an XLR cable and DI'd it, and the recording sounded fine, so I guess it must be the speakers?

Should still be under warranty but ugh so stupid!

Bolded part there suggests it's an output transistor that died. If you have a schematic or if the part didn't blow itself up when it failed, you should be able to source and replace the output devices for less than $20, parts and shipping.

If the amp is class D, it gets way more complicated. [edit: it's not a class d]

That's if you're a tinkerer and have a soldering workstation, anyway. If not, expect a steep diagnostic fee and small parts and labor bill from an amp shop... Or play warranty roulette!

nurrwick fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Nov 22, 2018