Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

theshim posted:

I had Tressa as a dodgetank for most of my playthrough, even without sidestep. Tressa good.

I actually prefer Decisive Battle 1 to that one, but it's still stupid good.

It's one of those things that irrationally angers me. Similar to people consistently using the wrong one of hoard/horde. I am mad about language and that's stupid!

Mine is it's/its. Only one of these things is possessive, and it's not the one that's a contraction!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

theshim posted:

It's one of those things that irrationally angers me. Similar to people consistently using the wrong one of hoard/horde. I am mad about language and that's stupid!

I am definately furious about how often people misspell definitely.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Shitenshi posted:

I am definately furious about how often people misspell definitely.

I am defiantly furious that you get mad over definitely.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I really like that (so far) no one is clearly more powerful than anyone else. They did a great job at giving everyone a more-or-less even footing. It makes it a lot easier to switch people around. I’m using Cyrus as my main too and while he crushes everything he can hit a weakness with, there’s been dungeons where those are few to non-existent. He’s still a good source of damage but he’s not breaking shields which is a big blow to how useful he can be

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Supersonic Shine posted:

I'm tempted to buy this game just to mess with all the NPCs in various different ways. During the fight with Helgenish, I was wondering what the Old Man was thinking, getting brought into somebody's revenge scheme...

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Kung-Fu isn't better than arcane magic! :argh:

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
For a sufficiently old man, kung-fu is arcane magic.

Alternatively:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Music: Cobbleston, Nestled in the Hills

This is the small village of Cobblestone, and to the left is our next character, albeit in different clothes than in the character select screen.

Hold fast, Philip. I'm coming for you.

Olberic's story probably has the most meat in it besides Primrose's. It doesn't hurt that Olberic's voice actor embraces the melodrama and that his writing is almost over-the-top in how brooding he is, as you'll see shortly.

At any rate, let's begin!

-----

Video: The Battle of Hornburg

Music: Tension

We go back to the titular Battle of Hornburg, to witness how Olberic fell into the life he lives today.

Olberic takes out a soldier with minimal effort.

Gods have mercy... That's the Unbending Blade of Hornburg!

It's you who'll be dyin'. Look about you - we have the numbers!

About that...

Bah! It matters not. We're done here.

For now, we have won.

-----

Nothing I couldn't handle. Can you hold this position?
You make for His Majesty's camp, sir?
Just so. Our foe attacked from both flanks, but we have no orders from the crown. This...concerns me.
His Majesty is well guarded, sir...

There is no stronger knight in the realm. Other than yourself, of course, m'lord. With Sir Erhardt at his side, surely His Majesty is in no danger...?
Perhaps not. But we must be certain. I would know how the battle unfolds. Besides, word from the king always lifts the men's spirits.
As you wish, sir. We will hold this ground.

And yours, Sir Olberic.

-----

SILENCE

His Majesty's own guard...slain, to the last man. Who could have done such a thing?

-----

Music: Creeping Dread

Erhardt! What is the meaning of this!?

What... What have you done!?

Ungaaah!

...No madness here. But call it treachery, if you will.

Brothers, indeed. How many times did we cross swords like this in the practice yards? And how many times have I told you? I see your every move, your every strike before it falls.
As I see yours!

-----

Video: Always the Same Dream

SILENCE

Turns out it was all a dream of painful memories past. Of course it was. That's all JRPG protagonists ever dream about.

Turns out one of the local youths is nearby.

No, I am no knight. Just a man with a sword, and nothing more...

Olberic is kind of bad about hiding his tragic past. Luckily the other villagers don't seem to mind and/or care.

Music: Bonds of Friendship

Oh, I almost forgot, sir! The headman's lookin' for ya. Says he wants a word. He didn't say about what.
Tell him I'm on my way.
Yes, sir! I'll go on ahead and let him know, sir. He'll be in the square - you know the one.

(After a time, I came to this village. Here I earn my keep as a hired sword, hiding behind another man's name. Defending the villagers from bandit raids, teaching young men how to handle a blade - not a glamorous life, but it puts food on my plate. A man like me knows only the battlefield. Worth only as much as the blade at my side, and the arm that swings it.)

(For years I've asked myself that question. No answer still - at least, not one I like.)

Olberic's a massive ham. His main story hook is trying to find a purpose in life after failing his king and having nothing left but his skill with a blade. He milks his tragic backstory for every ounce it's worth, and to the voice actor's credit he embraces this and makes all of Olberic's lines as overdramatic as possible, which makes his battle lines all the more fantastic. But that's for the next update when we tackle the boss.

For now, we need to visit the headman.

As Olberic exits his home, a couple of locals approach him.

Dawn patrol, sir. Nothing to report!
Good to hear it.

Aye, sir. Headman thought it best. There's brigands in the hills of late.
Poor merchant gutted for his coinpurse just yesterday. Was a grisly sight, sir.
These are dangerous times. One can never be too careful.

Ah, he mentioned that, sir. He should still be over in the square.

Bandits about, eh? That certainly sounds bad.

No matter, for now our priority is with the headman.

Morning to you both. Philip said you wanted to speak to me.
Yes, yes. I'll get straight to the point. We've had reports of bandits in the hills.
I see you've doubled the patrols.
Yes... I was also hoping to ask for your aid. With bandits lurking, the villagers daren't venture into the hills. We cannot check the traps, nor collect firewood...

Leave it to me. Where can I find these thieves?
As for the precise location of their den, I fear I cannot say. I sent some of the men out searching, but...

Consider it done.

If he is willing, so am I.
Oh, he's more than willing, sir. I assure you. Been pesterin' me for weeks to ask you!
That's a brave lad! The boy has pluck, and ambition. And he could find a worse man to look up to than Berg here.

It's just...the boy's getting to that age, when he needs a father.

This is meant as a gasp of surprise and awkwardness. For bits without full voice acting, each character may have a random line or grunt before each text bubble that portrays the spirit of that line. Olberic's in particular are pretty wordy and as dramatic as his spoken dialogue.

If it were louder I would've bothered capturing it as a MP4.

Your boy is already a credit to the village.

You are too kind, sir.
It's settled, then. Train the lad well, and see that he does his mother proud.
I will.

After that scene, the two patrolmen from earlier pop up behind us.

And now we get to do Olberic's Path Action, Challenge. Olberic can choose to Challenge a character to a duel, and if he wins he knocks them out. There's usually no real incentive for doing so, but this can knock away NPCs guarding a home, or can resolve certain Side Stories, and later on some NPCs may have rare drops if you're inclined to grind those.

And Olberic can Challenge a surprising amount of NPCs. For instance, he can beat up the Headman and Philip's Mother if I wanted. And I may do so later...

For now, though, let's focus on training these two fellows here.

You get a general and vague Strength gauge to work with. Luckily, there's no penalty for losing a duel with Challenge, though there is if you use H'aanit's Path Action of Provoke.

Music: Battle I

NPC Challenge Duels are just like any other battle, except only Olberic is involved.

Olberic favors the sword and also uses the spear. His two starting skills include a target-all sword attack and an attack self-buff.

This battle is trivial, as this NPC is weak to both of Olberic's weapons.

Very weak, it turns out.

And you still get rewards for beating these poor saps up.

You attack with boldness, but you leave yourself open. And so a simple counterblow quickly strikes you down. You must remember - balance in all things.
Balance, right. I'll try to remember that, sir.

Next up is this fellow.

While the other NPC only attacks, this one only Defends. NPCs can have tricks up their sleeves besides basic attacks.

Olberic strikes this fool down regardless.

You are too hesitant. It is important to protect yourself, this is true... But you will never win a fight if you lack the courage to strike.
If you say so, sir...

-----

Was just thinkin' that myself, sir.
Better than the sum of our parts, eh, sir?

Olberic may be good with a blade, but he's also a good teacher that can size up others' strengths and weaknesses. Even with that short training session, these two are already much better prepared than they would've been otherwise.

Something the matter, sir?
...What? No, sorry. It's a fine idea. Train together, and you will be capable soldiers one day.
Sir!

Yes, good. If you would.

You are not ready yet. You need to work on your form.

Do the drills as I showed you, and you'll be sparring soon enough. You have talent, lad.
I do?
Not many boys your age take to the sword so quickly. And I've trained my share.
Crivens! Th-thank you, sir.

Mother's looked after me ever since. All on her own, sir. But soon...soon I'll be a man grown! And it'll be my turn to take care of her!
She is a lucky woman to have a son so brave.
So you see why I've got to get stronger, sir!

Are you brooding internally again? Crivens, save the monologuing for the voiced cutscenes, sir!

I will, sir!

i.e. We need to find a way to transition to some action.

There we go.

Brigands from the hills!

Just a quick jaunt to the action...

We outnumber 'em! Surround 'em!
Stick a blade in their backs 'fore the boss finds out swineherds slowed us down!
Do your worst, you brutes!
You'll not be getting past us!

Good work, men. You did well to hold them off.

And who in the hells are you supposed to be?
He's a bleedin' fool if he thinks he can take us all.

So ye's got a fancy blade, eh? I know yer sort, hedge knight. I've cut down my share o' yer betters.

But if you've come looking for trouble...you've found it.

I'M JUST AN ORDINARY GUY WITH A SWORD, NO TRAGIC BACKSTORY OR ANYTHING OVER HERE, NO SIREE.

Finally, someone speaking my language.

Music: Battle I

Three on one seems unfair, but...

...this is Olberic we're talking about.

One fully-charged Level Slash weakens them significantly, allowing for easy pickings from there.

Ye can handle a blade, aye. But this ain't the end o' it. When the boss hears 'bout this, yer a dead man, ye hear?
We'll see about that, won't we?

Hm!?

The bandit uses the distraction to take off. There are more pressing matters at hand anyway...

Music: An Ill Omen

My poor Philip... He was trying to protect me, but those...those animals...!

It doesn't matter now! We have to save the lad!
We know where they are now. Holed up in a cave, deep in the mountains.
Then let's go! Gods only know what they'll do to him...

But, sir! We have to do something! They might kill the boy!
If you leave now, who will protect the village when the thieves return? No...you would be playing right into their hands.
...Gods a'mercy. Is there nothing we can do, sir?

Alone!? But, sir, even you...!
You stay and guard the village. At least until you're sure they're not coming back.

Consider it done.

-----

Come on Professor Albright, he needs our help!

Of course! Allow us to assist you in any way we can.

It would be my honor to call you a comrade.

And with that, we finally have a full four-person party.

After the usual upgrades, it's time to head out.

It's surely most dangerous, sir. Best prepare well afore settin' out.

Music: The Highlands

This is a decently-long winding path up the peak.

Most of the usual foes from before, all still very flammable.

Along the way, I pick up Hired Help. I'll show this off in the boss video. I mainly opted for this because the next boss uses a lot of physical attacks, and the cheapest Hired Help option gives a party-wide PhysDef buff, which is of course very handy. And as a bonus, I unlock the Endless Items passive.

Our first encounter with a Rockadillo.

It goes about as you'd expect.

Up this particularly unsafe-looking bridge...

...and it looks like we've discovered where the bandits are hiding.

Ye have courage, I'll give ye that. Just who are ye, anyway? Never seen no hedge knight swing a blade the way ye do.
Then you'll step aside, if you know what's good for you.
You're on our land now, hedge knight. We give the orders here.

The same encounter as before, except this time we have three strong allies, so...

Yeaaaaah.

To end things, let's show off Olberic's skills since he just gained enough JP for a skill.

-----

Level Slash (9SP) - Attack all foes with a sword.

It's actually 25% stronger than a base attack, though each boost only adds 90% more damage as a trade off, so it's a wash for single-target enemies. Regardless, it's a great skill throughout the game as a cheap target-all.

Abide (4SP) - Increase the user's physical attack strength for 3 turns.

Only works on Olberic. About what you'd expect. Two extra turns per boost point.

Spearhead (6SP) - Attack a single foe with a polearm, and act earlier on your next turn.

50% more damage, and lowers the target's defense to 80% of its base value, with each boost adding 100% more damage. Using this means Olberic goes first before anybody besides enemies recovering from break. A nice way to focus on turn order and deal damage at the same time.

Incite (4SP) - Become more readily targeted by foes for 3 turns.

From my experience, physicals always target Olberic when it's on. It definitely has its uses, especially since Olberic's Talent involves Boosting the Defend ability to take less damage.

Cross Strike (12SP) - Unleash a sword attack on a single foe.

It does a nice 90% extra damage on a base attack, adds 100% attack per boost point, and only factors in 2/3 of the target's defense to boot. This is Olberic's best attack for most of the game, so it's a good one to grab.

Stout Wall (4SP) - Increase the user's physical defense for 3 turns.

Same deal as Abide.

Thousand Spears (20SP) - Attack random foes with a polearm 5 to 10 times.

This is a weird one. It does random single-target attacks, each one doing a pretty weak 80% of damage and adding 25% more defense to the target, with boosting adding a meager 40% more damage per point. This skill ignores Accuracy and Evasion entirely, with its hit formula being somewhat arbitrary beyond a guarantee of three hits. Honestly, the only reason to use it over something like Level Slash is to rip through the shields of a lone target weak to spears. Still, in that rare situation, this ability is fantastic, so at least it's not useless.

Brand's Thunder (30SP) - [Divine Skill] Unleash a tremendously powerful sword attack on a single foe.

A whopping 1275% the damage of a regular attack, while also factoring in only 60% of the target's defense. Just a pure, painful physical sword strike. There's beauty in simplicity.

-----

Passive Skills:

Cover: The equipping character will absorb single-targeted damage for allies who are near death.

Near Death is <30% Max HP. I'm pretty "meh" on these kinds of abilities in games, and this one is no exception. There's a few fun things you can do I guess, but that's true of a lot of other abilities, too.

Summon Strength: Increases the physical attack strength of the equipping character by 50.

Like the other stat-boosting passives, a solid filler ability until something better comes along.

Endure: When the equipping character is afflicted with poison, sleep, confusion, blindness, silence, terror, or unconsciousness, their physical and elemental defenses are enhanced.

Flat out adds the PhysDef and ElemDef buffs when Olberic has a status effect. All of these are particularly nasty to have, and even if you kept them they generally expire after a few rounds at most, so I really don't see this passive being worth it.

Surpassing Power: Increases the maximum damage that can be dealt by the equipping character to 99,999.

The damage cap is 9,999 without this ability. Frankly, it's stupid this is even a passive in the first place, but what can you do. Essentially required for your damage dealers in the end game, as you may expect.

I decided to pick Cross Strike, and with that, next time we'll make our way to rescue Philip, and also listen to the best song in the game...

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I wonder if there's any significance in Olberic's surname being the same as a city from the Bravely games

Also, beat up Philip's mother later.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Nov 23, 2018

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Also, hit up Philip's mother later.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I am excited that Huge Sword Man is a Huge Sword Ham.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Mega64 posted:

I decided to pick Cross Strike, and with that, next time we'll make our way to rescue Philip, and also listen to the best song in the game...

I'm pretty sure none of the best songs I'm thinking of plays in this section, so I'm going to call BS on this one.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Night10194 posted:

I am excited that Huge Sword Man is a Huge Sword Ham.

It's one of Patrick Seitz's best qualities.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Mega64 posted:

You get a general and vague Strength gauge to work with. Luckily, there's no penalty for losing a duel with Challenge, though there is if you use H'aanit's Path Action of Provoke.

Challenge is gated by level sometimes.

Honestly this makes no sense to me, especially with how usually the Noble/Rogue setup usually balances the paths. Obviously stealing things, or seducing people, or just being a smug knowitall are things that if they fail should make life bad for you in town. However why a giant berserker screaming "Fight me, nerd":byodood: at everyone in his path doesn't get a bad rep if a washerwoman clothelines him is beyond me. But I guess the level gates are the reason why its Noble (also jolly good fun, no bad feelings on Olberic's part).

H'aanit, just.... ugh.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I wonder what the most absurd thing Olberic can pick a fight with is. Does he get to fight someone's puppy at some point?

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
With Olberic's talent, I'm starting to think we should go back to Atlasdam and give Therese and the headmaster what for.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016

Mega64 posted:

You attack with boldness, but you leave yourself open. And so a simple counterblow quickly strikes you down. You must remember - balance in all things.

*snap*
Had to do it.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Patrick Seitz is a delight as Olberic and people should definitely click the boss video when it's up.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Olberic has the best Max Boost quote in the whole game, and you can't convince me otherwise. He's a massive ham in everything he does, and I love him for it. He's also a very good character to start with, and saved me in a couple of boss battles, along with making Helgenish's fight a joke for me, when I only had him and Prim.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Patrick Seitz. :allears:

For those not in the know, Seitz is a veteran voice actor who is absolutely fantastic in near any role he plays. He’s been Dracula in Castlevania, Ragna the Bloodedge in Blazblue, DIO in Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure, and Garrosh Hellscream (plus several others) in Warcraft. That list is merely scratching the surface of his long career, and Olberic is yet another great addition to it.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Challenge is my favorite path action in the whole game. I would probably spend hours running around and walloping unsuspecting townsfolk for giggles.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Just so we get the rest of the Travelers we have:

Cyrus is voiced by an unknown VA named "Steve West".

Tressa is voiced by Fryda Wolff, who has a few roles you might know of (Sara Ryder from Mass Effect: Andromeda, Dominique in the upcoming Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night, Ana and Penny Crygor in Warioware Gold).

And Primrose is voiced by Laura Post, (Ragyo Kiryuin from Kill La Kill, Valentine from Skullgirls, Silvia from Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War in her appearance in Fire Emblem Heroes).

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I’m honestly kind of surprised at how few big-name VA’s they brought on for the English dub (the only two I recognized from prior works were Seitz and Cindy Robinson), though that’s hardly a point against it.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Music: Dark Caverns

The bandits are holed up in this cave.

This chest is a bit tricky to find, but it's worth it. I give it to Primrose since she's a bit fragile compared to Tressa and Olberic.

Brigands abound, of course.

They're weak to a lot of our stuff, and it helps we have all elements besides light and all weapons besides axes.

The vendor trash items get increasingly elaborate.

Also there's pitiful ratfolk here to get wiped easily.

Even got a hat trick of bonuses here for killing it so efficiently.

Otherwise, it's a pretty short jaunt to our final destination.

Music: Creeping Dread

H-he sure does! He's stronger than all of you put together! You won't stand a chance!

Ye hear that, mates? This hedge knight's the strongest blade in the realm!
Gwahahaha! If he thinks he can best all of us, he's more madman than knight!
This ain't a fairy tale, boy. Real knights don't piddle away their days in the company of swineherds.
If he's a knight from the stories, a damsel in distress might serve as better bait. Reckon we should go back for the mum?

S-stop it! You won't be laughing when Sir Berg is through with you!
Sir Berg! Now there's a frightenin' name! Look, me arm's all a'tremblin'!

...Boss?
Reckon the boy's got more courage than the lot of you -- an' more wits, to boot.

B-but, Boss. Ain't no way the hedge knight'll follow us here. 'Less he's mad an' all.
Aye. It ain't like it's his own son or nothin'. Why should he care?

Why, indeed? Things could get interestin' though, if he does show. Always had a soft spot for men with more courage than sense.
Heh...
Like the boy here...

Ahahaha! You hear that, men? The boy says he's too good for banditry!

SILENCE

What is it, Boss?

Video: Gaston's Challenge

'Ey, look! It's the mighty Sir Berg, in the flesh!
He is mad! An' how'd he get in here, anyway!? Where are the lookouts?

All the other brigands step back in fear. I mean, this is Sir Berg we're talking about.

...!
Sir!
Stay back!

Hang me, but I ain't never seen no one do that afore...

Clearly no common hedge knight, are you?
Just as you are no commong brigand.

SILENCE

Oho! You know the man, do you now?
So it is his blade.

Music: For Redemption

How do you know Erhardt, rogue...? Speak, or I'll slice your throat!
Hah! Ye've got a score to settle, is that it? I can see it in your eyes. They blazed like fire when you said his name.

But if you're lookin' to ask questions of me, my good sir...

Video: Boss - Gaston

Music: Decisive Battle II

First off, click the music link holy crap. Decisive Battle II is my favorite track in this game, and it pairs especially well with Olberic's lead-up.

First off, Hired Help lets us choose between a few different groups for a price. Each boost point adds an additional hit, the weapon/element depending on who's chosen.

Mercenaries use swords, and are quite weak, but they target all enemies so are great for wearing down foes weak to swords.

However, they also provide a party-wide PhysDef buff, a minimum of two turns with two more per boost point. This is pretty important.

Because Gaston hits like a truck, and his comrades are pretty hardy themselves.

Fortunately, they're weak to most of our offense, to the point where any character can chip away at their defenses.

As usual, our priority is to take out the smaller foes before we focus on the big guy.

Olberic gets the Lion Dance to make him hit harder.

Gaston's charge up is good and bad. It's good in that it only targets a single character...

...but it's bad in that it's a one shot, even with a defense buff.

Gaston sadly doesn't share the weaknesses of his helpers, so we can't really chip away at him while we take out the others.

The guy is very hardy, too. Our characters at max-boost average 500 damage for their best attacks.

Time to get paid.

Oh, Gaston also knows Level Slash, and it hurts. It's not even a charge move like Helgenish's target-all move, so it's harder to prepare for since you get no tells.

The lack of party-wide healing certainly makes things more difficult.

To make things worse, the grunts also can use target-all attacks.

Things get very dire, very quick.

For awhile, it's a matter of rezzing others while I hope for miracles to happen. This attack onslaught is brutal and will take a character down to low HP quickly, and that's if Mighty Blow isn't activated!

Desperate times call for desperate measures. Gotta stop the attacks somehow, time to break them!

That's two boss battles in a row that a key Tressa evasion saves me from a wipe.

Tressa is clutch.

Fortunately, as I use Charge to slow down the damage, I luck out and finish off both brigands, which gives me a lot of breathing room.

Now I can revive my party and focus on Gaston himself.

Bludgeon can inflict the unconscious status effect, which is a stun. It's pretty nasty.

Eventually, I exploit his knife weakness to break him...

...and use the opportunity to find his other weaknesses while I put the hurt on him. Turns out he's also weak to spears, staves, and ice!

A fully-boosted Olberic shouts his iconic line.

My blade...is UNBENDING!

Cross Strike is wonderful here. Olberic has the muscle to deal massive damage to every foe he meets.

Though the other characters aren't really that bad, either!

The battle is still no cakewalk, however, but it's certainly more manageable.

Plus now we're in a much better position to break him before he does anything particularly nasty.

We eventually wear him down to where victory is in reah...

And with one last break...

...Olberic has the honors of the finishing blow.

A Healing Grape Bunch heals everyone's HP.

Of course I only get that after beating the boss that would've been crazy handy in.

Music: Dark Caverns

Now I will have my answers. How do you know Erhardt?
We fought alongside each other is all. Served together in a band of mercenaries. He was already an old hand when I signed up. Helped me out, showed me the ropes.
A sellsword... And where is he now?
Damned if I know. When our group disbanded, we went our separate ways.

So here I am. Times are lean, and a man's got to make a living.

Aye, I could. But honest work takes more wits than the gods saw fit to bless me with.

Choice or no, you must answer for your crimes.
Aye, I know the score. But I've got my men to think about, too.

Easy now, men. The hedge knight has the right of it. I've got more than enough blood on my hands. Live by the sword, and... Well, you know how it goes. A man has to own up to what he's done.

You do me a kindness, hedge knight. An' so I'll do you one in return... I told you I didn't know where Erhardt is. An' I don't.

Erhardt taught us both how to use the sword back in the mercenary band. You should find him in Victors Hollow.
And this man will tell me where Erhardt is?
He might. Then again, he might not. Still, if you want to find him that much, I reckon it's worth tryin'.
I saw your eyes, hedge knight. They were dead, like a fish.

Dead? Have I truly been...?

Gaston's no ordinary brigand. Even if he fell to such villainry, there is an air of honor within him. A shame things had to turn out the way they did, though, as he's still a criminal and must atone for his crimes.

Round up the thieves, and lock them in the village gaol!

Should have known it, the way your eyes lit up at the mention of Erhardt's name...

Music: Olberic, the Warrior

...!?

This guy's voice reaction is perfect here. Just a deadpan "...what."

I'd heard he lived, but scarce believed it...until today.

Let's be on our way. We've kept your mother waiting long enough.
Yes, sir!

-----

Music: Olberic, the Warrior

(I shall find Erhardt...so that I might find the reason I wield this blade. To find a man named Gustav. And, gods willing, Erhardt himself. Victors Hollow, the man said. That's where I must go.)

(The journey will be a long one, and I've no more reason to tarry.)

Olberic, inspired by the good hearts of his new comrades, throws his sword in with them. And as we leave...

Video: A Fond Farewell

You have shown me nothing but kindness. I am forever in your debt.
It is we who owe you, friend. Were the choice mine to make, you would stay with us forever. But it is your life to live.
We won't ever forget all you've done for us, sir.
The next time any dirty brigands come after us, we'll give 'em a good kicking in your name!
We're no knights, sir, but you've taught us well. We can protect our home, at the very least.
...Glad to hear it.

I understand. Tell the boy I am counting on him to grow strong, and to look after his dear mother.
Thank you, sir. I will.

No matter how far your journey takes you, you'll always have a home here.

Philip!

I'll be even stronger! And then...! Then...maybe I could...!
...Aye, lad.

And so Olberic takes the long road ahead to find the answers he searches for...

We're halfway done with the Chapter 1 story quests! We still have to recruit four more characters, so it's time to choose our next one.

Next time, Cobblestone and probably a few Side Stories sprinkled between here and our next destination.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Mega64 posted:

First off, click the music link holy crap. Decisive Battle II is my favorite track in this game, and it pairs especially well with Olberic's lead-up.

I've just had it in a tab playing on loop since I read this update.

It's pretty good, yeah!

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

...Huh, could’ve sworn that that track doesn’t play until the Chapter 2&3 bosses.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Alfyn. Him, Cyrus, Tressa and Olberic make for the best party around.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I thought so myself, but I had it trigger on a couple of Chapter 1's when I attempted a solo run awhile back.

Maybe it's because I'm using my profile that beat the post-game boss. It adds a crown to the title screen to signify your accomplishment, maybe it messes with the boss themes too...?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Olberic's got the best max boost line in the game, though I'm also a big fan of Primrose's and Cyrus's. In particular, there's just something about Primrose's tone of voice in her delivery that just gets me every time.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Mega64 posted:

...and use the opportunity to find his other weaknesses while I put the hurt on him. Turns out he's also weak to spears, staves, and ice!

I don't think its been mentioned yet in the LP proper, or maybe not even in comments, but have you pointed out the trick you can use to maybe narrow down weaknesses?

e: also, is the Iorem Ipsum "to be filled in later" get missed?

FeyerbrandX fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Nov 24, 2018

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

W.T. Fits posted:

Olberic's got the best max boost line in the game, though I'm also a big fan of Primrose's and Cyrus's. In particular, there's just something about Primrose's tone of voice in her delivery that just gets me every time.
I do have to say that while I don't know how feasible it is, a clean audio clip of Cyrus' max boost line would be a fantastic thing to have.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Cyrus has two max boost lines and they're both amazing.

Olberic's is definitely the best in the game, but Therion and Alfyn also have very good ones.

As much as I love Tressa, I wish she had a better max boost quote.

slink_bot
Aug 1, 2016

Yapping Eevee posted:

I do have to say that while I don't know how feasible it is, a clean audio clip of Cyrus' max boost line would be a fantastic thing to have.

Actually, Mega64 himself ripped all the in-battle voice lines/grunts from the game, and compiled them.

This is the reddit post he did where you can download them, sorted per character:
https://www.reddit.com/r/octopathtraveler/comments/9pdi1l/battle_voices_for_all_characters_english_and/

(Cyrus' two max boost lines are listed as Cyrus_021 and Cyrus_022)

Mega64
May 23, 2008

FeyerbrandX posted:

I don't think its been mentioned yet in the LP proper, or maybe not even in comments, but have you pointed out the trick you can use to maybe narrow down weaknesses?

e: also, is the Iorem Ipsum "to be filled in later" get missed?

I think I vaguely referenced it in the Battle Lecture, but I haven’t outright said it yet.

Basically, the weakness order is always the same, so you can narrow down weaknesses once you remember the order.

slink_bot posted:

Actually, Mega64 himself ripped all the in-battle voice lines/grunts from the game, and compiled them.

This is the reddit post he did where you can download them, sorted per character:
https://www.reddit.com/r/octopathtraveler/comments/9pdi1l/battle_voices_for_all_characters_english_and/

(Cyrus' two max boost lines are listed as Cyrus_021 and Cyrus_022)

I should note there are possible spoilers in those files, but otherwise, yep!

I also ripped all the sprites directly from the game files mostly for this LP. Took me two weeks and a lot of fiddling around but the results were worth it.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Mega64 posted:

I thought so myself, but I had it trigger on a couple of Chapter 1's when I attempted a solo run awhile back.

Maybe it's because I'm using my profile that beat the post-game boss. It adds a crown to the title screen to signify your accomplishment, maybe it messes with the boss themes too...?

I am pretty sure DB2 and DB1 both are used for chapter 1 bosses no matter what.
Though I think in the demo version, you only had DB1 for each boss.

DeafNote fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Nov 24, 2018

Mega64
May 23, 2008

The biggest issue so far is all the best avatar material is going to take awhile to reach.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Mega64 posted:

I also ripped all the sprites directly from the game files mostly for this LP. Took me two weeks and a lot of fiddling around but the results were worth it.
:toot: I applaud and thank you for your dedication.

Now to figure out how to horribly misuse these voice clips

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Also my new avatar is a minor spoiler so don't look at it.

Or do, I don't really care.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Now that I know we're eventually going to fight a giant armored frogman (??), there's no point in following this anymore. <unsubscribed>

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

It's one of the regular overworld enemies from the later chapter areas, not sure whether the C2/3 regions or the C4 regions. It's not even the final stage of that line.

They really knocked it out of the park with the sprite-work in general. The enemies are amazing and generally have 5-8 frames of animation, and pretty much every NPC has a variety of expressions and animations, many of which will likely never be seen. Pretty much every NPC has to have battle animations for Duels or for being Summoned. And that doesn't even include the rest of the graphics, like the areas to explore and the various graphical effects on the overworld and in battle.

Imagine like 150 or so sprite sheets that like this:

The graphics are really drat impressive, and a surprising amount of work went into them considering.