Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Painful Dart Bomb
May 23, 2012

And he was talking 'fore I knew it, and as he grew he'd say "I'm gonna be like you, dad" "You know I'm gonna be like you".
What is Xbox? A miserable little pile of exclusives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

My 360 came with a busted controller once and I brought it in with the receipt and not the Xbox and they gave me a new one off the shelf. This was a GameStop

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

I upgraded my OG Xbone for the S since I got a 4k TV this week and finding out that it doesnt play 4k games despite the official website saying it fully supports 4k is really cool thanks MS

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

StabMasterArson posted:

I upgraded my OG Xbone for the S since I got a 4k TV this week and finding out that it doesnt play 4k games despite the official website saying it fully supports 4k is really cool thanks MS
It supports 4K in as much as it can sent a 4K signal to the TV and play UHD Blurays. It's not powerful enough to render games at 4K, although it theoretically could and run them at like 3fps.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

StabMasterArson posted:

Pretty weird that you missed the existence of the X

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

fishmech posted:

Pretty weird that you missed the existence of the X

I went on that xbox comparison page a bunch of times :(

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Me a dumb who plays their Xbox one x, most powerful home gaming console, on a 9 year old 1080p led tv, ama

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

StabMasterArson posted:

Yeah that's on you, champ

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

TheScott2K posted:

Good console. Good console.
https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1065682321834045440?s=21

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

That is drat tempting, if nothing else for all my old non bc Forza games.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

StabMasterArson posted:

It upscales games to 4K.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

ethanol posted:

My 360 came with a busted controller once and I brought it in with the receipt and not the Xbox and they gave me a new one off the shelf. This was a GameStop

Apparently, this is an issue with the jack in the One controllers. Microsoft using cheap rear end parts.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

StabMasterArson posted:

What do you mean? It outputs 4K, supports HDMI 2.1 and is, I think, still the cheapest 4K Bluray player on the market. You've got exactly what was advertised, some games even run in native 4K on the S (it has an unlocked framebuffer like the X, just not the raw power to handle AAA titles)nothing matters and our pursuit of luxury will kill us.

I have my TV locked to 1080p anyway, framerate is king.

berzerkmonkey posted:

I've got an Xbox one X and I just plugged in my new headphone mic setup to the controller, and there's a lot of static if the jack gets moved at all. the plug seems to fit in there very loosely. I tried two sets of headphones and it's the same thing. Can I just get the controller replaced and how do I go about doing this?
The audio outputs on the controllers are pretty poo poo, even with low-impedance headphones. The Elite controller has the same issue. Sucks that it's the only way to get binaural Atmos out of your console, the noise floor is horrible.

Ruffian Price fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Nov 22, 2018

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Ruffian Price posted:

What do you mean? It outputs 4K, supports HDMI 2.1 and is, I think, still the cheapest 4K Bluray player on the market. You've got exactly what was advertised, some games even run in native 4K on the S (it has an unlocked framebuffer like the X, just not the raw power to handle AAA titles).

I have my TV locked to 1080p anyway, framerate is king.

It absolutely doesn’t do game output beyond 1080p. It can do HDR which the OG Bone can’t, otherwise it can’t do games at 4K at all, just UHD Blu-rays and maybe some video streaming apps. Resolution and performance on games is almost the same as the OG Xbox, any differences are negligible other than HDR support.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

gently caress me, you're right. I was going after the DF tech interview:

quote:

Digital Foundry: Obviously we can't expect native 4K triple-A gaming, but simpler titles and 2D games could potentially work well - plus existing Xbox One owners would get 2x super-sampling.

Albert Penello: If they want to, they can. As you said, if a developer had a game that could use it we are enabling 4K framebuffers, but only on Xbox One S consoles.
I thought surely indie devs would've had taken advantage of this, but I haven't found a single title. Gonna edit the post.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

4k tv does the upscaling already

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
https://twitter.com/Stallion83/status/1065474224398237696

Fanatic fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Nov 23, 2018

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

It's really inspiring to see Microsoft bringing awareness to mental health issues.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
So I took advantage of the free 360 offer through Gamestop since I'd like to play some exclusives that aren't backwards compatabile. Since it's a 4GB model, does this mean it can basically only store 1 game's worth of data on the hard drive at a time? I mostly plan on buying physical games so I know that helps with having to install HDD data. Is it pretty much pointless to keep the 4GB drive, and just swap it out with a larger drive?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

BisterdDave posted:

So I took advantage of the free 360 offer through Gamestop since I'd like to play some exclusives that aren't backwards compatabile. Since it's a 4GB model, does this mean it can basically only store 1 game's worth of data on the hard drive at a time? I mostly plan on buying physical games so I know that helps with having to install HDD data. Is it pretty much pointless to keep the 4GB drive, and just swap it out with a larger drive?

I think the 360 can utilize external drives? It's been awhile since I've had one but I don't think the roughly 1200 rock band songs I have were on the internal.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Nov 23, 2018

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

BisterdDave posted:

You can stick any USB drive on there and use it, as long as it's between like 1 gigabyte and 3 terabytes. If it's not already FAT32 formatted, the 360 will erase everything on it though before putting its own stuff on.

It used to be limited to 16 gigabytes of storage per USB drive, but they removed the limit in like 2013 or 2014.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

fishmech posted:

You can stick any USB drive on there and use it, as long as it's between like 1 gigabyte and 3 terabytes. If it's not already FAT32 formatted, the 360 will erase everything on it though before putting its own stuff on.

It used to be limited to 16 gigabytes of storage per USB drive, but they removed the limit in like 2013 or 2014.

Awesome! What's a recommended stick size to use if I don't plan on downloading many games from the store?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

BisterdDave posted:

Awesome! What's a recommended stick size to use if I don't plan on downloading many games from the store?

You can get a flash drive with 256 gb of storage for $35 these days and that will easy handle everything you want to download probably. Plus also you'll want to install your real discs to it for better loading time, and you'll have plenty of space for that

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

BisterdDave posted:

If you’ve got an old 20, 60, 120, 250 or 500gb laptop hard drive laying around you can buy the enclosure for $6 off Amazon and go that route too, works fine.

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.
Is there any difference between the S and X when it comes to 4k movies? I am tempted to get an xbox to use as 4k video player.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I use my xbone x on a 10 year old Sony 1080p panel and every game I have looks about 20 times better than it did on my xbone OG.

There is no reason to buy an S unless you cannot afford the X.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Spuzzz posted:

Is there any difference between the S and X when it comes to 4k movies? I am tempted to get an xbox to use as 4k video player.

No difference.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The S struggles to play some 4K UHDs though. It couldn’t run Despicable Me 1 lol

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Empress Brosephine posted:

The S struggles to play some 4K UHDs though. It couldn’t run Despicable Me 1 lol

I don't think that's specific to the S. I think the issue is that the console barely has what's needed to play UHD discs straight, but then tries to multitask by like knowing when your buddies are online and sending you messages and invites and poo poo, and that fucks everything up. If you're a super-serious movie person wanting THE EXPERIENCE at home you really need a standalone player because it's not going to talk to Xbox Live. And if you can afford the cost of a beefy enough TV to really show off UHD discs this should be peanuts for you.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
lmfao I love buying physical copies of loving DVDs like it’s 2004

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Rdr2 runs at higher resplution on the one x lol. Even on a 1080p tv. This isnt some preference or matter of opinion its literally a higher resolution and is highly noticeable downsampled on a 1080 tv even

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Get on a 1080 monitor and set the resolution in a game to 864p, then set it to 4k

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

HORMELCHILI posted:

Rdr2 runs at higher resplution on the one x lol. Even on a 1080p tv. This isnt some preference or matter of opinion its literally a higher resolution and is highly noticeable downsampled on a 1080 tv even

I mean, people can look up a DigitalFoundry video or something and see if they themselves can suss out a meaningful enough difference for the cost. It’s night and day for some people but not for everybody. Hell, plenty of people do still buy DVD’s like it’s 2004.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

You can't see the full difference on YouTube really. The X is so dramatically better though I can't believe this is even a debate.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

i have the game on ps4 pro and xbonx and in real life the difference is barely perceptible

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

anyways im gonna get the game on pc and play it there when it comes out so that i can experience the worlds most powerful console

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Is pc considered a console?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

BisterdDave posted:

Is pc considered a console?

It can't because then the World's Most Powerful Console would just be a midrange PC from 2015.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

You can't see the full difference on YouTube really. The X is so dramatically better though I can't believe this is even a debate.

DF offers higher quality encodes through their Patreon.

It's really not a noteworthy difference to everybody, people's perceptions and attitudes to going beyond 1080p vary wildly. Some weep tears of joy and get massive dopamine hits at the distant trees having leaves sharp enough to do retinal surgery, others think their MPEG-2 720p streams from their cable boxes are the highest possible quality mankind has come up with. I had a 1080p TV that died and I replaced it with a 4K TV. It's a noticeable difference, sure, but it's not one I would have felt good about spending a ton of money unnecessarily on, and frankly I'm of the opinion that 4K is too much of a pain in the rear end in all its forms to be worth the boost for most people (extra hassles contending with color ranges, bigger downloads on the X, higher bitrates needed to stream, greater encode times and more limited options for getting playback of 4K HDR MKV's working, etc.), especially if you were, say, upgrading from a regular PS4, which almost always hits native 1080p across all titles.

Like right now here's the Canadian Black Friday options (shameless price deals post):

$220 gets you a 1tb Xbox One S with Minecraft and some DLC for it digitally. ($150 discount, over 40% off)
$260 gets you a 1tb PS4 Slim with SpiderHyphenMan on disc. ($120 discount, over 30% off)
There's no major sale on the PS4 Pro that I'm aware of so it's $480 through Newegg with a disc copy of Red Dead Redemption 2. It's too late now but the 15% eBay coupon worked there. ($20 discount, 4% off)
$500 gets you a 1tb Xbox One X with no game. ($100 discount, 16.66% off)

$500 (after taxes close to $300 more, more if you count the value of a bundled game with the non-X's) plus the cost of even one game is a big ask when the next generation which will 4K even harder and almost certainly be backwards compatible (almost certain on the Xbox side anyway), and likely be purchasable in-hand within 2 years, especially when EBGames' trade-in promotions don't seem to really differentiate whether you're trying to trade in a mid-gen upgraded console or the original console. If you make the big bucks and $500CAD+tx is a pittance, fine, go nuts, but that's a very small number of people.

univbee fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Nov 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

univbee posted:

$500 gets you a 1tb Xbox One X with no game. ($100 discount, 16.66% off)

https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1065432895672606720?s=21

:confused: