Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Lester Shy posted:

What happens to unused footage on big Hollywood movies? Anything funny or interesting gets used for promotional material, and completed-but-cut scenes get shelved for any director's cut or home video release, but what about actual "junk" footage? Is there a warehouse somewhere full of hard drives of people forgetting their lines and boom operators walking into the shot?

Used footage often ends up in other movies or TV shows. Spielberg got really upset after watching footage from Duel show up in The Incredible Hulk, but the contract he signed allowed it.

I imagine unused footage would be the same way except there's no easy way for people to know what's out there since it was never broadcast or screened. Also it gets frequently destroyed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

And famously there was unused footage from The Shining tacked on to the end of Blade Runner to make a happy ending for the theatrical release after the workprint proved unpopular with test audiences

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

What are some examples of films that deliberately go without intelligible dialogue? Not montage work like the Qatsi films, but stuff more like the workprint of The Dark Crystal where there's characters and some sort of narrative, but dialogue is obfuscated.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

What are some examples of films that deliberately go without intelligible dialogue? Not montage work like the Qatsi films, but stuff more like the workprint of The Dark Crystal where there's characters and some sort of narrative, but dialogue is obfuscated.

http://www.ubu.com/film/johnson-bs_paradigm.html :nws:

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Triplets of Belleville?

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

The first half of Wall-E is amazing for this. I really wish the whole film was like that (it's great anyway, mind)

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Shaun The Sheep: The Movie (a very good film).

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Hukkle

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

What are some examples of films that deliberately go without intelligible dialogue?

Jacques Tati’s comedies: Monsieur Hulot’s Holiday, Mon Oncle, Playtime. Pretty much silent comedy with sound effects.

Servoret fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Nov 20, 2018

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

So Quest for Fire doesn't count, if I'm reading your question right?

But maybe The Clan of the Cave Bear does?

Teriyaki Hairpiece fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Nov 20, 2018

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Lester Shy posted:

What happens to unused footage on big Hollywood movies? Anything funny or interesting gets used for promotional material, and completed-but-cut scenes get shelved for any director's cut or home video release, but what about actual "junk" footage? Is there a warehouse somewhere full of hard drives of people forgetting their lines and boom operators walking into the shot?

I work in TV, but everything is 100% backed up on hard drives or backup tape or w/e. There's no reason to delete anything from a production.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Since we were discussing Coen brothers’ films earlier, got around to watching The Ballad of Buster Scruggs and Ladykillers probably has competition now for the worst Coen film.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Krispy Wafer posted:

Since we were discussing Coen brothers’ films earlier, got around to watching The Ballad of Buster Scruggs and Ladykillers probably has competition now for the worst Coen film.

Hell no. Buster Scruggs is great.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

veni veni veni posted:

Hell no. Buster Scruggs is great.

Maybe the individual stories lacked enough time to flesh out the stories or characters. The Liam Nessen and Tom Waits segments were good. The rest were eh.

The CGI was really off putting.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

And Intolerable Cruelty is the worst.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Maybe it's just because I find both Catherine Zeta Jones and George Clooney way more sexually attractive than Tom Hanks in a dumb mustache, but I think Ladykillers is worse. Was it the only remake the Coen's made until True Grit? (I know a lot of their films are inspired by other films and borrow from them, I'm talking about straight up remakes).

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Intolerable Cruelty has tons to love, even if it's a mess. Terrific leads perfectly cast, lots of great sparring dialogue, Wheezy Joe, Living without Intestines Magazine...

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I was just looking up their screenplay only movies and I'd forgotten that they wrote the Angelina Jolie directed Unbreakable, but here's the big revelation:
This year, there was a reportedly "faith based" official sequel, directed by the Guy who did God's Not Dead 1 and 2. Huh?

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Nov 22, 2018

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Teenage Fansub posted:

I was just looking up their screenplay only movies and I'd forgotten that they wrote the Angelina Jolie directed Unbreakable, but here's the big revelation:
This year, there was a reportedly "faith based" sequel, directed by the Guy who did God's Not Dead 1 and 2. Huh?

Are any of them good? (Movies written by the Coens but not directed by them)

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I thought, for all the lambasting it got, Suburbicon was okay.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Skwirl posted:

Bridge of Spies is great.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Skwirl posted:

The only one I'd really go out of my way for is Bridge of Spies. Oh, and Bad Santa if you want to count it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Krispy Wafer posted:

Maybe the individual stories lacked enough time to flesh out the stories or characters. The Liam Nessen and Tom Waits segments were good. The rest were eh.

The CGI was really off putting.

I liked every one of them personally. You really didn't like the singing cowboy segment? That poo poo was incredible.

I actually didn't actively notice any CGI. What part are you referring to? I thought I heard them say it was all practical effects in a Fresh Air interview the Coens did this week, but I could have heard wrong I was pretty distracted while listening to it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

LesterGroans posted:

The only one I'd really go out of my way for is Bridge of Spies. Oh, and Bad Santa if you want to count it.

They wrote a draft of Bad Santa? Did it start with them or were they just asked to "punch it up?"

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I assume a lot of the landscape was CG, as well as the stag in Tom Waits' story and prairie dogs in Zoe Kazan's.
I was guessing that the wagon train would be mostly fake, but the wiki page is saying otherwise.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The only CGI I didn't think quite worked was the deer. The prairie dogs are on screen so briefly that I didn't notice them

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Teenage Fansub posted:

I assume a lot of the landscape was CG, as well as the stag in Tom Waits' story and prairie dogs in Zoe Kazan's.
I was guessing that the wagon train would be mostly fake, but the wiki page is saying otherwise.

The wagon train section was filmed out in western Nebraska, definitely no CG needed there.

Local article about it: https://www.omaha.com/go/plus/the-day-the-coen-brothers-came-to-nebraska-an-oral/article_72f6d66b-b3a1-54a9-b55a-a5782e6d5669.html

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Nov 22, 2018

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

If that deer was CGI I didn't notice it at all and I'm usually really sensitive to unconvincing CGI

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

Skwirl posted:

They wrote a draft of Bad Santa? Did it start with them or were they just asked to "punch it up?"

The script was written for the Coens to direct, but they weren't interested. They ended up doctoring it, came on as executive producers, and helped get Terry Zwigoff to direct it. According to Zwigoff, they ended up leaving the movie because they didn't want a black guy to play Tony Cox's part.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Almost Blue posted:

The script was written for the Coens to direct, but they weren't interested. They ended up doctoring it, came on as executive producers, and helped get Terry Zwigoff to direct it. According to Zwigoff, they ended up leaving the movie because they didn't want a black guy to play Tony Cox's part.

This is making me think about how incredibly white all Coen Brothers movies are. It makes sense for Fargo, but it's a bit weird for poo poo like The Big Lebowski.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I just assume the people who want the Coens to write more black characters haven’t seen The Ladykillers or they’d know that’s a really bad idea

morestuff fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Nov 22, 2018

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

feedmyleg posted:

Intolerable Cruelty has tons to love, even if it's a mess. Terrific leads perfectly cast, lots of great sparring dialogue, Wheezy Joe, Living without Intestines Magazine...

Yeah! I really like it, actually. Ladykillers, however...

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Skwirl posted:

This is making me think about how incredibly white all Coen Brothers movies are. It makes sense for Fargo, but it's a bit weird for poo poo like The Big Lebowski.
The Coen Bros. are up there with Woody Allen and Nancy Meyers when it comes to consistently making movies that are eerily white, no matter the setting. New York City? The Wild West (in which tons of cowboys were black)? All magically white.

The Horse in Tears
Nov 3, 2014
Speaking of the Coens and movies they don't have any involvement in... anyone know what's up with that The Jesus movie Turturro made?

It's called Going Places because it's also a remake of the 1974 French movie. It was filmed in 2016 but it doesn't have a release date yet.

Not that I'm eager to see it, but Émilie Simon did the music and that's probably a good album even if the movie sucks.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

veni veni veni posted:

I liked every one of them personally. You really didn't like the singing cowboy segment? That poo poo was incredible.

I actually didn't actively notice any CGI. What part are you referring to? I thought I heard them say it was all practical effects in a Fresh Air interview the Coens did this week, but I could have heard wrong I was pretty distracted while listening to it.

There seemed to be a lot of CGI in the Buster Scruggs segment. There was a fake look to it that was disconcerting, like with dust rising off the ground. It was mostly unnecessary which made it all the weirder. I don’t recall much CGI in the rest. Maybe they were trying to make the Scruggs part deliberately unreal.

The stories without much dialogue were my favorites which is an odd thing to say about a Coen brothers film.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Yeah, all the cartoony stuff in the Buster Scruggs worked in it's favor for me since it's basically a live action Looney Toons short.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

FreudianSlippers posted:

Yeah, all the cartoony stuff in the Buster Scruggs worked in it's favor for me since it's basically a live action Looney Toons short.

Did you think the people died at the end? Did they? I know death is definitely a subject touched on by Looney Toons but not your first recollection. I mean heck they had it in Tiny Tunes

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Krispy Wafer posted:

Maybe they were trying to make the Scruggs part deliberately unreal.

Nah. It was practically a documentary.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

syscall girl posted:

Did you think the people died at the end? Did they? I know death is definitely a subject touched on by Looney Toons but not your first recollection. I mean heck they had it in Tiny Tunes

I honestly need to watch the end again because I got mildly distracted with something in the last 5 minutes but I took it as some sort of grim reaper scenario.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Buster Scruggs is real bad wow.