Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

Tough competition!

For real. The vampire as we know it was basically standardized by Bram Stoker, and in Dracula he was an incarnation of the fear of foreign sexuality,

He was primarily a metaphor for landed gentry and nobles' relationship with the working class. The sexual aspects are secondary and way overblown by lit 101 readings of the text, which are heavily colored by Anne Rice and other later writers' works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Dracula mainly impresses me with his loving nerve. Seriously, guy has to lug around a ton of dirt from home to go anywhere overnight and he's planning a permanent move to London in the age of sail. That said, I never really figured out what the plan was, what was he trying to accomplish? Drac was just big dreamer with vague aims and was not about to let logistics get in his way.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/_slangers/status/1065044571640356866

For our state election some opposition party marketing gremlin made a bizarre card game that teaches you how much the labor party sucks

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Finally, a Cards Against Humanity knockoff that doubles as a lovely deck of playing cards

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

What’s a rort?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

remusclaw posted:

Dracula mainly impresses me with his loving nerve. Seriously, guy has to lug around a ton of dirt from home to go anywhere overnight and he's planning a permanent move to London in the age of sail. That said, I never really figured out what the plan was, what was he trying to accomplish? Drac was just big dreamer with vague aims and was not about to let logistics get in his way.

Anno Dracula gives you an answer.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Nov 21, 2018

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Subjunctive posted:

What’s a rort?

Not much, what's a rort with you?

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Lurdiak posted:

He was primarily a metaphor for landed gentry and nobles' relationship with the working class. The sexual aspects are secondary and way overblown by lit 101 readings of the text, which are heavily colored by Anne Rice and other later writers' works.

I mean... visiting women in the middle of the night and "claiming" them as your own seems pretty sexual to me.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
:siren: New blogpost for The Next Project is up!

Today I'm sort of cutting a wide swath, talking about a variety of design points, what things need to be worked on or improved, and where I think things might need to be taken in the future. Specific topics include adding more skill levels as well as cleaning up class customization (potentially by adding more subtypes to classes that currently don't have that many.

Most of the content covered in this post was brought up (at one point or another) on Discord -- I tend to put out any early-concept stuff there, first.
If you're interested in talking about the game's designs, all goons are welcome to join the TNP Discord.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah, it's kind of important to note that Bram Stoker was an Irishman who was grew up literally in the middle of the Potato famine before his move to London and that might put a different spin on his feelings about foreign nobles showing up to buy your land.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

The game is really bad! :ssh:

Everyone will want to vote for their own card because that's how you win, and there's no rules for how to break a tie. Additionally, since cards that don't win are returned to your hand, as long as you don't win a round all you can do is continue to play the cards that the other players have already rejected.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

LatwPIAT posted:

The game is really bad! :ssh:

Everyone will want to vote for their own card because that's how you win, and there's no rules for how to break a tie. Additionally, since cards that don't win are returned to your hand, as long as you don't win a round all you can do is continue to play the cards that the other players have already rejected.

Guys, it's not a lovely game it's a clever simulation of how the liberal party operates. Like monopoly for UK politics.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

unseenlibrarian posted:

Yeah, it's kind of important to note that Bram Stoker was an Irishman who was grew up literally in the middle of the Potato famine before his move to London and that might put a different spin on his feelings about foreign nobles showing up to buy your land.

but also something something catholicism

Mike Danger
Feb 17, 2012
I don't think this fits another thread so posting here: anyone have a good dice tower seller they recommend? Want to buy one for my friend for Christmas.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Pelgrane press is doing a 20% off the core books for Black Friday. How is time watch? Is that a gumshoe game? Can someone explain gumshoe to me? I have never understood it. And I never grokked it.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
GUMSHOE is specifically for investigation games. It basically points out that, while mystery solving in real life involves a lot of simply looking for clues, mystery stories are focused around what inferences you can draw from clues, once you have them. So, simply having the right skill and being in the right place is sufficient for you to find the clue, no roll necessary, and then play is mostly focused around deciding what to do with them.

Of course I say this but I've never run an investigation-style game and am merely supposing/dreaming. Surely someone who has run one of these can elaborate better than I can. I did enjoy RPPR's Masks of Nyarlahotep playthrough but that's...a big commitment to grok a style of game.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

I've played one shots of two different GUMSHOE games (Nights Black Agents and Ashen Stars), and it's a great system for doing investigative type games. Investigative skills are basically just permissions, and are great for establishing PCs as just baseline competent. Basically unless some plot obstacle is actively opposing them, characters just get to use their areas of expertise. It's remarkably smooth, and makes the opposition seem that much more scary when they throw procedural checks (ie, normal pass/fail skill rolls) at you.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Moriatti posted:

I'm ordering this one from my LGS as we speak so thank you. Never thought to look at similar looking dinos.

It's certainly not like there's a noted shortage of dinosaur toys in all sizes.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Mike Danger posted:

I don't think this fits another thread so posting here: anyone have a good dice tower seller they recommend? Want to buy one for my friend for Christmas.

Wyrmwood dice towers are pretty nice.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Can confirm their quality. Expensive as all hell, but they feel nice, play nice, are durable, and transport easily.

Mike Danger
Feb 17, 2012
Can you even buy them right now? I found their site a while back and it seems like all dice tower shipping is on hold while they run a kickstarter.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Covok posted:

Pelgrane press is doing a 20% off the core books for Black Friday. How is time watch? Is that a gumshoe game? Can someone explain gumshoe to me? I have never understood it. And I never grokked it.
Timewatch is a game where you play a bunch of time travelers who work in a secret organization making sure that the time stream is safe. Its an investigation game and one that gets a bit weird as you are dealing with paradoxes and stuff that can result from time travel. At the very least I've met the game designer and thought he was a very nice person. Especially considering the fact that he offered to run a game for my friend.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

MadScientistWorking posted:

Timewatch is a game where you play a bunch of time travelers who work in a secret organization making sure that the time stream is safe. Its an investigation game and one that gets a bit weird as you are dealing with paradoxes and stuff that can result from time travel. At the very least I've met the game designer and thought he was a very nice person. Especially considering the fact that he offered to run a game for my friend.

Ah neat so sorta the regular rpg version of time stories? Or is it a narrative boardgame/puzzle based cyoa too?
I played a module of time stories but then my group got very eager to play more and did the rest without me.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Does anyone have any experience with Stars Without Number? I like the idea of running a sci-fi system. My friend has his own campaign but it's A: a Firefly clone and B: using his weird SPECIAL-based homebrew system which makes no real sense (why would Luck be a stat in a PnP game?). So I'd like to run a Trek-alike, and SWN has the benefits of being freely available and well-regarded. Considered Star Trek Adventures but that seems to have mixed reviews.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Dr Snofeld posted:

Does anyone have any experience with Stars Without Number? I like the idea of running a sci-fi system. My friend has his own campaign but it's A: a Firefly clone and B: using his weird SPECIAL-based homebrew system which makes no real sense (why would Luck be a stat in a PnP game?). So I'd like to run a Trek-alike, and SWN has the benefits of being freely available and well-regarded. Considered Star Trek Adventures but that seems to have mixed reviews.

SWN is good, but it is far more geared towards playing a bunch of wandering adventurers pulling jobs and looting ancient space stations to pay the rent on their spaceship. The further you deviate from that, the more you'll have to sort of improvise or build yourself. The 1e supplement Skyward Steel is all about spaceships and space navies, so that could be useful. If you buy the deluxe Revised book your also get rules for Transhuman campaigns, and the social credit-like economy would be much more Trek than hunting for credits. I think all the pieces of a Trek game are there, you'll just have to assemble them yourself. The space combat system in particular seems very Trek-like to me, so that's a bonus.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Dr Snofeld posted:

(why would Luck be a stat in a PnP game?)
Luck is a stat in a few systems, CoC being the big one I recall offhand. It's basically just a catchall "let's see if this thing hurts you" stat plus the default "I don't know what to have you roll, so roll this" stat. I'm not personally a fan of it; IME it tends to be a broken god-stat since you can "get lucky" with just about anything.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Dr Snofeld posted:

SWN is a decent scifi game built on adapted old-school D&D rules. It's meant to be something like a more approachable Traveller, but someone more familiar with Traveller would have to weigh in on how well that works in execution.

It plays fine, but the real appealing bits are the huge spread of random generation rules for star systems, planets, aliens, corporations, and all sorts of other things. 1e also has a massive catalog of supplements that are great to dig through for more ideas, rules, and custom planets/aliens that convert pretty quickly to 2e. I like the minigame between factions and corporations that the GM has to play out every few game sessions, too, but other people might find that to be a lot of extra busywork on the GM.

It'd play fine with Star Trek, I think, depending on what type of Star Trek you were looking for.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Nov 22, 2018

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Yawgmoth posted:

Luck is a stat in a few systems, CoC being the big one I recall offhand. It's basically just a catchall "let's see if this thing hurts you" stat plus the default "I don't know what to have you roll, so roll this" stat. I'm not personally a fan of it; IME it tends to be a broken god-stat since you can "get lucky" with just about anything.
CoC also uses it as a "restart a stalled adventure" lever. When the players gently caress up all their rolls to find clues, and the adventure is stopped dead in its track, the GM (excuse me, Keeper) can call for Luck rolls to have someone stumble across whatever they need to get things moving again.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

FMguru posted:

CoC also uses it as a "restart a stalled adventure" lever. When the players gently caress up all their rolls to find clues, and the adventure is stopped dead in its track, the GM (excuse me, Keeper) can call for Luck rolls to have someone stumble across whatever they need to get things moving again.

that is the dumbest loving mechanic I have ever heard. What the hell are you going to do when they all fail?

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

NinjaDebugger posted:

that is the dumbest loving mechanic I have ever heard. What the hell are you going to do when they all fail?

Make another round of rolls after a bit? It's a mechanic to cover raw GM fiat with a veneer of mechanics. The rolls don't actually mean anything.

EDIT: To be clear, I'm not defending this mechanic, it's just one example of this type of game advise from that era of game design.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

NinjaDebugger posted:

I can see it - it they succeed well, they get a lucky break. If they get mixed success, they get a clue but with strings attached. If they all fail, then someone tries to kill them or another victim is abducted or whatever - a bad outcome, but one that leads to new clues.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, the luck rolls are for how they find the clue, not if.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Luck just a way to use an in-game mechanic instead of a behind the scenes roll on the GM's part. If it's legit for a GM to roll for random encounters, it's legit for a player to fail a luck roll and thus get a random encounter instead. Sometimes circumstances are uncertain but not really the result of any conscious or unconscious action on the player's part. Are the patrolling guards currently staring down the corridor you just accidentally teleported into? Roll luck. Generally as the GM I'd be happy to roll on a table for the players or just pick what's most interesting but I wouldn't mind having them roll instead, thus letting the roll interact with any other mechanics that affect player rolls.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

NinjaDebugger posted:

Disembowel the Keeper for designing a scenario where the game stalls when you don't find clues.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

LatwPIAT posted:

Disembowel the Keeper for designing a scenario where the game stalls when you don't find clues.
I hear this a lot but it seems like the rules lead to this a lot, and while a Sufficiently Smart Keeper can avoid it, a system that leads to the same failure mode over and over across many tables probably warrants a design review. (Trail addresses it completely, pushing rolls helps.)

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
With D&D doing another artbook, imagine if D&D pulled a Kevin Crawford and made all their previously book artwork creative commons.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Yeah that situation is literally why GUMSHOE was written.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Dr Snofeld posted:

SWN is good - I've been running it for two years. There's a bit power jump between 1st and 2nd edition. Some of the 'feats' you may want to adjust - e.g. one of my players doubled up on the piloting feat, which really cuts down travel time in a way that totally changed the feel of the game (we swopped from 1st to second edition about 3/4th of the way through a campaign). Starship combat is better in 2e.

I also prefer the AD&D 1/2e style save scheme from SWN1 than the 3e+ scheme he moved to in SWN2 (and Godlike).

And even if the system doesn't work for you, the random tables are really useful.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
The saving throws are still 1E/2E like in that they're a set number that goes down each level that you have to roll over, it's just that there's fewer of them and stat modifiers can apply. There's no variable save DCs or anything that made 3E saves way harder to pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I hear this a lot but it seems like the rules lead to this a lot, and while a Sufficiently Smart Keeper can avoid it, a system that leads to the same failure mode over and over across many tables probably warrants a design review. (Trail addresses it completely, pushing rolls helps.)

The actual answer is that Luck rolls are not actually meant to be used that way; I just like disembowling people.

The actual result of a failed roll to accomplish something in CoC is usually that time passes fruitlessly, and you have to spend more time. It's not the best and I'm sure there's a whole lot of badly written CoC scenarios that stop dead if someone fails their rolls to find clues, but the game explicitly has the default state of a failed roll be "time passes and you can try again".

Though they really could have made that clearer. It's easy to miss.

(Re: Gumshoe: Yeah Gumshoe is neat and all but the thing about Gumshoe is that once you've learned the central lesson of "just give the players the clues they need to progress the plot" you don't actually need Gumshoe anymore: you can just make good investigation scenarios in any other game. It's not so much a system-thing as it is having a system that coincidentally shines a very bright spotlight on good GMing advice. Now, making a system where you can't make a common mistake is a pretty good idea, but Gumshoe doesn't actually stop you from gating Investigative tags behind General skill rolls...)