Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

shortspecialbus posted:

I forgot to mention that it's not a requirement exactly but some sort of cloud ability for notes that works from any device (i.e. browser access or something) would be a huge bonus. I'm having trouble figuring out if Notes.app would do that but I'm guessing not.

You can just go to iCloud.com and access Notes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Does anyone have the new smart cover for the 12.9? Is it too clunky?

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

TheManWithNoName posted:

You can just go to iCloud.com and access Notes.

Ok, that worked for some old typed notes I had. I haven't tried handwritten yet because I don't have the pencil yet but it looks like they'd at least show up, which would be fine. Thanks!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

shortspecialbus posted:

I forgot to mention that it's not a requirement exactly but some sort of cloud ability for notes that works from any device (i.e. browser access or something) would be a huge bonus. I'm having trouble figuring out if Notes.app would do that but I'm guessing not.

Notes will do that through iCloud.com

It will also sync with other iOS devices and the Notes app on the Mac as long as everything is using the same iCloud account.

e: :argh: new page and fb

shortspecialbus posted:

Ok, that worked for some old typed notes I had. I haven't tried handwritten yet because I don't have the pencil yet but it looks like they'd at least show up, which would be fine. Thanks!

Handwritten show up fine as well

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

smallmouth posted:

Does anyone have the new smart cover for the 12.9? Is it too clunky?

The folio? I like it. Doesn’t feel like it adds too much to the bulk of the thing. That said, I am returning it for the 11 right now. It’s juuuust big enough that it’s a little unwieldy for me. It’s a stunning tablet though.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

Anyone else checking the app store every day hoping their favorite apps will be updated? :stares at youtube:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

arbybaconator posted:

Anyone else checking the app store every day hoping their favorite apps will be updated? :stares at youtube:

I use Ivory right now, but I’m expecting that to get frozen out like ProTube was.

I can deal with all the poo poo annoyances YouTube typically has, I just want my PiP on the iPad.

Channels.app is annoying that way too. They claim that the vid stream coming off the HDHomeRun can’t be used with Apple PiP API, but PLEX can do it. But then PLEX has issues with streaming live TV from HDHomeRUN at times so maybe they have a point, but still

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

nwin posted:

Any idea on the best price for a new iPad? Just looking at the base iPad 32gb model-I’m assuming there should be some Black Friday deals out there.

Have you had one before? I find that for my use case 32gb is way too small but probably way overkill for somebody like my dad.

To answer your query, Apple charges $330 for that one and I wouldn’t expect too many retailers to deviate particularly far from that. Target or Best Buy might have an offer for a free $25-$50 gift card or something but probably no price cuts. If you have any older Apple products to trade in, that can get you credit at the Fruit Stand.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Nov 20, 2018

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
32gb is fine for me as a internet, Awful, reading, Netflix machine. I remember seeing an ad somewhere that they'd be $250, wanna say BH Photo Video or Newegg or Best Buy maybe? Don't remember if it was only Black Friday or in advance.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Have you had one before? I find that for my use case 32gb is way too small but probably way overkill for somebody like my dad.

To answer your query, Apple charges $330 for that one and I wouldn’t expect too many retailers to deviate particularly far from that. Target or Best Buy might have an offer for a free $25-$50 gift card or something but probably no price cuts. If you have any older Apple products to trade in, that can get you credit at the Fruit Stand.

Yeah I’m mainly getting it to use Zwift which is like a 1-2gb app, so 32 gigs will be fine. I’ll also use it for Netflix and Awful but I’m not a big gamer or anything.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

nwin posted:

Yeah I’m mainly getting it to use Zwift which is like a 1-2gb app, so 32 gigs will be fine. I’ll also use it for Netflix and Awful but I’m not a big gamer or anything.

I feel like I should get into Zwift but that’s a topic more for one of the bike threads...

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

nwin posted:

Any idea on the best price for a new iPad? Just looking at the base iPad 32gb model-I’m assuming there should be some Black Friday deals out there.

Walmart, Target and Jet.com will all have the base iPad for $250 on Black Friday. Costco will have it for the same price on Thanksgiving.

https://www.bfads.net/stores/walmart/ads/black-friday/page-5
https://www.bfads.net/stores/target/ads/black-friday/page-12
https://www.bfads.net/stores/jetcom/ads/black-friday/page-1

https://www.bfads.net/stores/costco/ads/thanksgiving/page-1

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Awesome thanks!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I guess this is thread relevant because you guys don’t have an audio port anymore: how do you clean AirPods? Would peroxide ruin them? They’re for the gym and running so they get disgusting as all hell and I don’t want to simply push grime down into them further.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Proteus Jones posted:

I use Ivory right now, but I’m expecting that to get frozen out like ProTube was.

I can deal with all the poo poo annoyances YouTube typically has, I just want my PiP on the iPad.

Channels.app is annoying that way too. They claim that the vid stream coming off the HDHomeRun can’t be used with Apple PiP API, but PLEX can do it. But then PLEX has issues with streaming live TV from HDHomeRUN at times so maybe they have a point, but still
Posted about it before with more detail, but basically YouTube PiP works in Safari with iOS 12. Limited to 720/30 on the mobile website though if that matters.

As for HDHR, which one do you have? I know older ones just transmitted the original stream, which is usually MPEG2, while (certain?) new ones transcode to H.264 or whatever mobile friendly steam. Plex works by transcoding everything iirc, which might explain why it’ll do PiP while Channels won’t.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Rolo posted:

I guess this is thread relevant because you guys don’t have an audio port anymore: how do you clean AirPods? Would peroxide ruin them? They’re for the gym and running so they get disgusting as all hell and I don’t want to simply push grime down into them further.

Quick swipe with a Lysol or Clorox wipe. Just enough to get rid of the germs.

Your AirPods don't get that dirty. Your charging case is a disgusting pit of horror though. You need to really get at the hinges, nooks, and crannies. I found a case in the bathroom and opened it up to see if there were any Pods in there and had to vigorously wash my hands.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

japtor posted:

As for HDHR, which one do you have? I know older ones just transmitted the original stream, which is usually MPEG2, while (certain?) new ones transcode to H.264 or whatever mobile friendly steam. Plex works by transcoding everything iirc, which might explain why it’ll do PiP while Channels won’t.

Yeah, figured that was the case with PLEX and that also explains why it flakes out from time to time I guess.

I have a HDHR Prime w/Cable Card which is definitely MPEG2 stream.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

I'm looking to buy an iPad for general tablet shenanigans and especially use it for drawing and note taking. Is it worth getting the 2018 and the pencil 2 over the older one?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Depends what you mean by “the 2018”, because the pencil 2 only works with the new Pros.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

I meant the 2018 Pro. Is there a huge improvement in user experience with the pencil, for example in drawing? I know it's probably too soon to know much but you guys might know if they're worth the quite high price.

E: I looked into it and it seems to me getting a regular iPad 2018 and a Pencil 1 seems to be the way to go, since I'm not going to make any money with my drawing. The pro is just too expensive.

E2: or perhaps the 2017 pro?

orange sky fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Nov 21, 2018

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

I have the first pencil revision and it sucks. The pencil is technically good. Fast, responsive and accurate. But the design flaws are glaring.

The charging system is dumb, and meant the pencil was never charged when I wanted to use it. I’d always have to leave it for a few minutes to get some power into it before using. It doesn’t sound like much but the whole point of it is to get thoughts quickly out of your brain and onto “paper” when you are in a creative mood. That 1-2 minute delay is enough to kill any enthusiasm I might have had.

The pencil was never with me. Because there was nowhere to put it, it stayed in my bedside drawer. A third party case with a spot for it could help but I didn’t want a case.

These two things alone makes me strongly recommend the pencil 2 if you can. They addressed these two issues and also the whole rolling off a table thing. Having the secondary tap action would be awesome too but I haven’t used a new one yet.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

I haven’t got used to the double tap thing yet. It’s a good idea, but last night during figure drawing I turned it off because I kept switching tools when I didn’t mean to.

Being able to click the pencil to the side magnetically is awesome.

edit: The first pencil is awesome and works great for drawing.

smallmouth fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Nov 21, 2018

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Pencil 1 has flaws but is insanely good. I would suggest just buying a 2018 regular iPad and a pencil and trialing it at home for 13 days. Return it on the 14th for a pro if it doesn’t feel like it has enough power.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Proteus Jones posted:

Yeah, figured that was the case with PLEX and that also explains why it flakes out from time to time I guess.

I have a HDHR Prime w/Cable Card which is definitely MPEG2 stream.

Side comment - Plex doesn’t transcode everything. It transcodes when the target device application doesn’t support the codec.

For example. H.265 isn’t supported in the current Plex app for iOS so H.265 gets transcoded there. HOWEVER, the Infuse Pro app does support H.265 decoding on iPads that support hardware decode and so Plex just streams it without transcoding.

Same is true for AppleTV for example - Infuse app supports h265 but Plex app doesn’t.

Anyway - I’ll shut the gently caress up now since this is drifting off topic.

Mello Yello
Dec 27, 2004

Let's Samurize, Guys!
A local retailer is offering 100-150 bux off of the latest Pro models for black Friday. I'm pretty sure that's worth getting in a line at 5am, which i've never done before.

I'm hoping to snag a 64gb 12.9" and a Pencil2. I'm pretty sure I won't find a better deal on the latest Pros literally anywhere.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Mello Yello posted:

A local retailer is offering 100-150 bux off of the latest Pro models for black Friday. I'm pretty sure that's worth getting in a line at 5am, which i've never done before.

I'm hoping to snag a 64gb 12.9" and a Pencil2. I'm pretty sure I won't find a better deal on the latest Pros literally anywhere.

That’s pretty dang good. I was hoping Apple would include a $100 iTunes card but based on the Australia sale that’s already started the new Pros aren’t included. Costco still has them for $50 off.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Proteus Jones posted:

Procreate is pretty much the definitive drawing app.

Notes.app is actually a pretty decent note taking app now.

Notability and Noteshelf both have good ink stroke rendering (I use Noteshelf mostly these days)

I was looking at Notability and Noteshelf (or Noteshelf 2) and it looks like Notability added handwriting -> text capability, which it doesn't look like Noteshelf has. Any particular reason you like Noteshelf better? Neither one is cheap.

Some Random Asshole
Apr 30, 2006

HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS

Rolo posted:

Any simple bleach or alcohol solution with a swab should do fine, but for proper cleaning of the pods and the case I can’t recommend these strongly enough : https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CS91J6E/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_tai_HQ09BbHEE8JH5

100 pack of disposable lady’s eyebrow brushes for $6. Fit perfectly in bags or any small carrying pouch, and they’re the perfect little cleaners for those fine nooks and crannies in the airpods and case, as well as excellent at getting out any impacted earwax from the speaker grille. Little brush like this should be in the box imo

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

shortspecialbus posted:

I was looking at Notability and Noteshelf (or Noteshelf 2) and it looks like Notability added handwriting -> text capability, which it doesn't look like Noteshelf has. Any particular reason you like Noteshelf better? Neither one is cheap.

I’m not really fussed re: handwriting OCR so that wasn’t really a consideration.

A lot of Noteshelf is inertia since I’ve been using it for years and years. I’ve used it so long because I like the way it renders different nib strokes/pen strokes. I also like the the “shelf” paradigm with all the different journal covers and paper layouts. I basically have it broken out into groups of journals for broad subjects and projects with specific journals in each group.

But most importantly for me is I’m balls-deep in Evernote and it will auto-sync my Noteshelf journals. I can then add specific tags (of which I have a bunch) to specific pages so even if stuff is spread across various journals and pages, I can pull them all together by tag if I need to.

(Ironically, I *hate* evernote’s native offerings for note taking, but love it’s organization and search.)

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I’m getting an IPad Pro 12.9 inch. Is the Smart Keyboard folio that Apple pushes actually good? Or can you get better stuff 3rd party?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Some Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Any simple bleach or alcohol solution with a swab should do fine, but for proper cleaning of the pods and the case I can’t recommend these strongly enough : https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CS91J6E/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_tai_HQ09BbHEE8JH5

100 pack of disposable lady’s eyebrow brushes for $6. Fit perfectly in bags or any small carrying pouch, and they’re the perfect little cleaners for those fine nooks and crannies in the airpods and case, as well as excellent at getting out any impacted earwax from the speaker grille. Little brush like this should be in the box imo

Oh hey, this is a neat idea!

I’ve been using those isopropyl keyboard swabs, but this is cheap enough to give ‘em a try.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Megasabin posted:

I’m getting an IPad Pro 12.9 inch. Is the Smart Keyboard folio that Apple pushes actually good? Or can you get better stuff 3rd party?

I like it, but it’s a bit cumbersome if all you’re doing is reading/watching vids/annotating PDFs with the Pencil. It will still likely be my go to case for 70+% of the time. It attaching via the back magnet, rather than a snap in shell, makes it convenient to swap with either the official smart folio cover or 3rd party.

However, the K811 paired with decent 3rd party cover is a good choice as well. Just be careful with 3rd party, because the vast majority made it impossible to dock and charge the Pencil or obscure the FaceID camera in their rush to get a product out the door.

I just ordered last week this on advice in this thread to use when I don’t need a keyboard (I may end up using with the K811, we’ll see), and just got notification of it arriving tomorrow.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07J4K6ZK6

Grimmeh
May 9, 2004

...Putting The Fun Back Into The Funeral

Proteus Jones posted:

I just ordered last week this on advice in this thread to use when I don’t need a keyboard (I may end up using with the K811, we’ll see), and just got notification of it arriving tomorrow.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07J4K6ZK6
Good luck! When I received mine they had sent me the wrong size and told me they’d send me a new one, but that I had to re-order it (and jump back into the out-of-stock-until-a-week-from-now queue).

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

I'm still incredibly happy with the Zotop case on the ipad pro 11, at least. I imagine it will be good on the 12.9 as well. They do seem to be having some logistics issues, what with the size being listed wrong on the box for the 11" one and the rather obvious supply issues they've been having. But that light purple one still looks fantastic and the magnets are working great!

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

It's pricey as hell, but the new smart cover is much nicer than the previous. It's more comfortable to leave on in use because it fits the superior Steve form of the iPad more invisibly (I would remove the cover whenever using my previous iPad Pro). It levels the camera bump. It is also much more sturdy in either angle orientation with the cover folded into a triangle because it holds onto the entire back of the iPad rather than just the edge.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

My Ztotop folio came early. Fortunately the correct size.

It’s pretty much a knock off of the OEM folio. Everything was cut the right size, closing the folio puts the iPad display to sleep. The magnetic back is strong enough for me to not worry about it detaching and it’s thick enough that there’s no camera bump.

Very pleased with the folio itself and super pleased with the price ($28) which is a fraction of the Apple Smart Folio.

Grimmeh
May 9, 2004

...Putting The Fun Back Into The Funeral
I just got the ESR Smart Case and it’s perfect - even has a smaller, more discreet logo than “Zototop”. I think they just put them on sale a few days ago, so they have decent stock:

ESR 12.9” Case on Amazon

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Heads up, Fantastical 2 for iPad is on sale for $3, down from $10 (iPhone version is $2 down from $5).

I use it on my iPhone for the widget cause it’s leaps better than the native ones and I don’t think you can beat Fantastical’s natural language input. I never had the iPad version until now cause the convenience of not having to enter stuff on my phone wasn’t worth the extra $10 but eh for $3 it’s whatever.

(The Mac version is also on sale for $25 from $50 but I think I’ll stick to using just the iOS versions at this price.)

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Is there a prepaid LTE iPad plan that would get us out the door for much less than the $13.24 a month we pay now on ATT? Don’t use much data at all, but it’s handy to have it sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

smackfu posted:

Is there a prepaid LTE iPad plan that would get us out the door for much less than the $13.24 a month we pay now on ATT? Don’t use much data at all, but it’s handy to have it sometimes.

Not that I am aware of. Most iPad plans are only under $20 when paired with a phone.